ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

Bearcat 12-20-2011 02:00 PM

I bought some SA Cherry Wheat and Young's Double Chocolate Stout over the weekend and put them together... it was pretty good. Then last night I saw some O'Fallon's Chocolate Cherry... they're on to me.

kstater 12-20-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8223362)
I bought some SA Cherry Wheat and Young's Double Chocolate Stout over the weekend and put them together... it was pretty good. Then last night I saw some O'Fallon's Chocolate Cherry... they're on to me.

I had that cherry chocolate a few years ago. Pretty good IIRC. Young's is far too good to waste putting a SA product in. ;)

htismaqe 12-20-2011 04:15 PM

The beer in my avatar is #1 on my list.

Saulbadguy 12-20-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8223338)
FYI....

Get a free Stella Artois chalice by calling 1-800-692-4254. While supplies last, through 1/31/2012.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5...heroonlyv2.jpg

Cool, thanks.

Saulbadguy 12-30-2011 08:00 AM

My local shop was out of the BBQ (said that they cut production?) - but still had a few bottles of the Saison left, so I picked those up.

Dragonocho 12-30-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8114272)
tried out 2 new beers last night

1. Boulevard's Tank 7 - holy shit, that's delicious, great rendition of a Belgian white
2. Southern tier pumpking - heavy on the nutmeg or something, but one of the better pumpkin beers I've had

after 4 beers I had a very solid buzz on, but that's ok they are 8% abv

Boulevard's Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale is an awesome brew. AC is around 9% though so it's a sipping beer if there is such a thing.

NewChief 12-30-2011 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BBQ arrived just in time for the New Year. Yes, that's, basically, 3 cases of it. I didn't ask if they had more in the back, though.

phisherman 12-30-2011 07:20 PM

I got half a dozen of the BBQ today at a little liquor store in Columbia. I always stop by when making the trip to St. Louis. Sure enough, not only were the BBQs fully stocked, but they also had a full shelf of the collaboration #2 and saison brett.

got a few more for the cellar and the owner even took a couple of bucks off per bottle since i bought a few at once.

we had one bottle of this year's BBQ already and it is GOOD.

lewdog 12-31-2011 03:16 PM

Found the beauty on my trip through the beer isle today. PJ is my favorite band so I was pretty stoked to have found this. Can't wait to see how it tastes.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...arlJamBeer.jpg

Bearcat 01-01-2012 10:42 AM

Sampled a few beers Friday night with a few friends... the Imperial Stout tasted quite a bit different (in a good way) from last year. It was similar to Dark Truth last year, but had aged quite well and was very smooth. The BBQ had more cherry and vanilla than the first one I had a few weeks ago... the first one was almost all bourbon. We found 5 BBQs at a Hy-Vee in Omaha, and bought all of them. I brought home 3 and have another one in the fridge... maybe I'll try one every couple of months.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...231_001005.jpg

NewChief 01-06-2012 04:24 PM

Got a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire at the store tonight along with a Saison DuPont. Never had the Bam Noire before so I'm excited. Good reviews on BA.

lawrenceRaider 01-07-2012 03:36 PM

Tried Mephistopheles from Avery Brewing today. Great one, 16.43% ABV, and goes down very nicely.

After we finished off the Mephistopheles, opened a Yellow Snow IPA from Rogue, which is very, very nice as well.

lawrenceRaider 01-07-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8136235)
It's not just good, it's great. There isn't a better wheatwine in the world.

So you've tried Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot? It's the best one of the style I've tried.

kstater 01-07-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8272107)
So you've tried Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot? It's the best one of the style I've tried.

Think before you speak.

lawrenceRaider 01-09-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8272113)
Think before you speak.

Why? As a KSCCC fan, you probably can't. Especially with the crap beer coming from Tallgrass.

Reaper16 01-09-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8272107)

I've got multiple vintages of Bigfoot in my cellar. Never realized that it was a wheatwine though.

kstater 01-09-2012 12:53 PM

Reaper, you can PM if you want. But what's the best location in KC to pick up some sours?

Reaper16 01-09-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8279284)
Reaper, you can PM if you want. But what's the best location in KC to pick up some sours?

Lee's Summit Gomer's is consistently the best place. They have the best relationship in town with Shelton Bros. (who import the very best Belgian sours, and super-small-batch Norwegian sours). You used to be able to pick up Lou Pepe Cantillons off the shelf there.

Now, like everywhere in America, finding Cantillon off the shelf is hard. But Lee's Summit Gomer's will have all sorts of Drie Fontienen, too.

If you're having trouble finding sours at retail, then Flying Saucer and The Foundry always have top-flight bottles available (at typical bar markups, of course).

kstater 01-09-2012 01:04 PM

Thanks. Was at that Gomers the other day and they had a couple. Must be waiting on a shipment then.

NewChief 01-09-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8269524)
Got a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire at the store tonight along with a Saison DuPont. Never had the Bam Noire before so I'm excited. Good reviews on BA.

I hate to say it, but I wasn't a huge fan. It was good and interesting, but way more sour than I expected.

Kerberos 01-09-2012 02:21 PM

Tried FatTire on tap the first time a couple months ago and it was pretty damn tasty. My wife bought me a 12 pack not long back and I was dissapointed in how much different it tasted from a bottle than from the tap. Some cheaper beers are actually better from a bottle compared to tap. FatTire is no where near a cheap beer so I thought it was strange. Anyone else have this opinion on FT?

SuperChief 01-09-2012 02:37 PM

You folks over in Missouri - have you tried the beers from Mother's Brewery yet?

phisherman 01-09-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8279312)
Lee's Summit Gomer's is consistently the best place. .

I tell people this all the time. They have a fantastic selection.

L.A. Chieffan 01-30-2012 12:22 AM

Watched "How Beer Saved the World" on Netflix. Highly recommend, very funny and makes me want to have a sip.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 01:45 PM

Heh...

https://twitter.com/#!/GrunauerKC/st...22950869671936

Quote:

Squirted a little Hershey's syrup into an Irish Ale and, not gonna lie, pretty delicious. Blvd should think about doing a chocolate beer.

NewChief 01-31-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8339039)

Uhh... wat?

www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/chocolate-ale

Marcellus 01-31-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 8279753)
You folks over in Missouri - have you tried the beers from Mother's Brewery yet?

Yup, the Tow Head, 3 Blind Mice, and Mother's Little Helper are all good.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339116)

It's TiC... it came out today and sold out at most places before noon. There were long lines at many liquor stores at 10am. I didn't get any last year and haven't found any so far today... it's on tap at several places though, and I'll probably find some in Omaha this weekend.

They made 2.5 times more than last year, and it still wasn't nearly enough... it's like Black Friday for beer snobs.

NewChief 01-31-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8339134)
It's TiC... it came out today and sold out at most places before noon. There were long lines at many liquor stores at 10am. I didn't get any last year and haven't found any so far today... it's on tap at several places though, and I'll probably find some in Omaha this weekend.

They made 2.5 times more than last year, and it still wasn't nearly enough... it's like Black Friday for beer snobs.

Oh. Hah. I see. I wonder if we'll get it down here. We got the BBB a few weeks after it sold out down there. I had some of the Elbow Chocolate either last year or year before.

Monty 01-31-2012 02:27 PM

Anyone tried the ska brewing co. beers out of Durango? I'm really impressed with the steel toe stout and ten pin porter. :toast:

the Talking Can 01-31-2012 02:27 PM

finally had some dogfish head 90min ipa (from a keg)....tasty, I was expecting something more crazy, I guess, but just a really tasty, balanced beer...

Monty 01-31-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339116)

The perfect compliment to my chocolate cigars.....just wish I could get my hands on some....:banghead:

Saulbadguy 01-31-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 8339163)
Anyone tried the ska brewing co. beers out of Durango? I'm really impressed with the steel toe stout and ten pin porter. :toast:

Absolutely love the Decadent Imperial IPA.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339150)
Oh. Hah. I see. I wonder if we'll get it down here. We got the BBB a few weeks after it sold out down there. I had some of the Elbow Chocolate either last year or year before.

I still have 3 BBQs... bought two here the day it came out, and then we found 5 at a Hy-Vee in Omaha several days later. I'm glad people aren't as crazy for that one.

I read some places outside of KC had Chocolate Ale last week, but it doesn't look like they've updated their beer finder (probably no point locally, since it sells out so fast). It's showing up on eBay for $25-50/bottle, and a couple of links I saw have 10 available... damn hoarders (I hoarded BBQ out of town several days later.... totally different :p )

Saulbadguy 01-31-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8339195)
I still have 3 BBQs... bought two here the day it came out, and then we found 5 at a Hy-Vee in Omaha several days later. I'm glad people aren't as crazy for that one.

I read some places outside of KC had Chocolate Ale last week, but it doesn't look like they've updated their beer finder (probably no point locally, since it sells out so fast). It's showing up on eBay for $25-50/bottle, and a couple of links I saw have 10 available... damn hoarders (I hoarded BBQ out of town several days later.... totally different :p )

IMO, the Chocolate Ale is just ok. It's not great. Women probably like the shit out of it.

I'd much rather have a BBQ (Which I couldn't find either...) than a Chocolate Ale.

Monty 01-31-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8339177)
Absolutely love the Decadent Imperial IPA.

Agreed. :thumb:

Phobia 01-31-2012 03:47 PM

My favorite hole is tapping their Blvd Choc tonight for the Beer Dork club. I'll give it a shot.

phisherman 01-31-2012 03:56 PM

We discussed this phenomenon today at work.

This is not a beer for beer nerds. This is a beer that beer drinking guys buy for their non-beer drinking women. How can we make women that don't like beer, drink beer? Add chocolate to it, and release it right before Valentine's Day.

Profit.

In58men 01-31-2012 03:58 PM

Fischer Amber, it's sex in your mouth brah.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8339441)

This is not a beer for beer nerds. This is a beer that beer drinking guys buy for their non-beer drinking women. How can we make women that don't like beer, drink beer? Add chocolate to it, and release it right before Valentine's Day.

Profit.

https://twitter.com/#!/DavidsonKris/...66412973334528

Quote:

I'm in line with people that look like they can't spell "craft beer" let alone enjoy the bottle of Chocolate Ale they are waiting on.
Someone confirmed that it's on the shelves in Omaha, so I'll get a bottle or two this weekend and avoid all the craziness... and if I like it enough, there will actually be more available. I picked up a couple bottles of Young's the other night and wondered if all the people going crazy for Chocolate Ale even know other chocolate beer exists...

KCUnited 01-31-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8339490)
https://twitter.com/#!/DavidsonKris/...66412973334528

Someone confirmed that it's on the shelves in Omaha, so I'll get a bottle or two this weekend and avoid all the craziness... and if I like it enough, there will actually be more available. I picked up a couple bottles of Young's the other night and wondered if all the people going crazy for Chocolate Ale even know other chocolate beer exists...

I'm no aficionado, but I don't find the two all that comparable.

I'm good for a taste of the Blvd and recognize it as a superior beer, but the hype avalanche is far greater.

In58men 01-31-2012 05:17 PM

Where can I get some Blvd Chocolate?

kstater 01-31-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339150)

Check your rep. Had a buddy that tried to get it shipped up here from that location.

Phobia 01-31-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 8339584)
Where can I get some Blvd Chocolate?

Next Door Pizza will open up sales to customers tomorrow. Tonight is the preview for their Beer Doork club.

Reaper16 01-31-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8339441)

Profit.

No, it's actually a very unique beer that also tastes good. It fires my beer nerd synapses.

Titty Meat 01-31-2012 06:41 PM

Just got back from The Well. I like the Chocolate Ale it's good to see this city excited about something.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 07:30 PM

Got mine... LMAO

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_4223.jpghttp://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...5/55/TROLL.gif

kstater 01-31-2012 07:34 PM

So, how much?

Bearcat 01-31-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8339741)
So, how much?

$8.50/bottle (if you're asking for yourself though... uh, $25? :D )... a friend in Omaha was going to buy a couple of bottles and asked if there was a limit. The person there said they still had a couple of cases left, and the manager let him buy one of them. I think we're going to split it between ~4 people.

I've seen some criticism (if you want to call it that) from out of towners, saying they have plenty to choose from because no one cares, while KC sold out before noon... the Hy-Vee person in Omaha even said they've sold several to people who were turning around and giving them to people in KC.

NewChief 01-31-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8339589)
Check your rep. Had a buddy that tried to get it shipped up here from that location.

Thanks, man! I thought I saw it there last week, actually, but I think it might have been last year's?

I picked up a fifth of Buffalo Trace Bourbon last weekend when I was up there. Crazy what's available just 45 minutes north of me that we can't get in Arkansas.

They get the Goose Island Brewery (among many others) as well, which we can't get down here South of the Border. I really wanted to try that Pepe Nero (holy shit the packaging on that whole series is sexy), but I didn't spring for it.

O.city 01-31-2012 07:57 PM

Buffalo trace is very solid.

Some guys from school cancelled their patients for the morning so they could go get the chocolate beer and it was already sold out down town KC.

I though about trying it but coudln't find any but didn't really look too hard.

NewChief 01-31-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8339781)
Buffalo trace is very solid.

I'm a fan. At $16 a bottle, I'm in love.

kstater 01-31-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339778)
Thanks, man! I thought I saw it there last week, actually, but I think it might have been last year's?

I picked up a fifth of Buffalo Trace Bourbon last weekend when I was up there. Crazy what's available just 45 minutes north of me that we can't get in Arkansas.

They get the Goose Island Brewery (among many others) as well, which we can't get down here South of the Border. I really wanted to try that Pepe Nero (holy shit the packaging on that whole series is sexy), but I didn't spring for it.

I doubt it was last years. At least I didn't see it when I came through there in late December. I like that Pepe Nero. If you happen to be up that way again some time, and they still have the Chocolate Ale send me a smoke, I'd like to try it and would pay to get it shipped up here.

O.city 01-31-2012 08:04 PM

Yeah I have a friend who really likes teh Buffalo trace.

I'm an Old Charter man myself.

NewChief 01-31-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8339795)
I doubt it was last years. At least I didn't see it when I came through there in late December. I like that Pepe Nero. If you happen to be up that way again some time, and they still have the Chocolate Ale send me a smoke, I'd like to try it and would pay to get it shipped up here.

My mother-in-law lives in Bella Vista, so I'm up there fairly often. Unfortunately, she's snowbirding in Palm Beach until April, so I might not be up that way for a while.

The Poz 01-31-2012 08:10 PM

Can't get Buffalo Trace up here unless you order through a distributor so that's exactly what I did. 1 case. Very good.
Been on the 4 Roses kick lately. Double on the rocks with a Rolling Rock at its side.

kstater 01-31-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339802)
My mother-in-law lives in Bella Vista, so I'm up there fairly often. Unfortunately, she's snowbirding in Palm Beach until April, so I might not be up that way for a while.

No problem. Just keep me in mind in case you stumble across one.

NewChief 01-31-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 8339809)
Can't get Buffalo Trace up here unless you order through a distributor so that's exactly what I did. 1 case. Very good.
Been on the 4 Roses kick lately. Double on the rocks with a Rolling Rock at its side.

I saw 4 Roses, but I didn't bite. The name makes me think of Tequila Rose, which isn't a good thing. I should give it a try, though.

Phobia 01-31-2012 08:34 PM

Just had a Chocolate from NDP. It's good. Very good. But I'm glad it's a once-a-year thing. I would get tired of it quickly. If you aren't lucky enough to try one, stop by the grocery store and pick up a quart of chocolate milk. It's the next best thing.

Titty Meat 01-31-2012 08:37 PM

I loved it. You could really taste the chocolate it's certainly a light beer which I prefer the mouth feel is great and best of all it's 9%!

O.city 01-31-2012 08:41 PM

YOu guys think they have that chocolate beer at Hyvee?

Titty Meat 01-31-2012 08:43 PM

I doubt it. I called the little Hy-Vee liquor store on 75th and stateline and they were out. I called just about every Liquor store within a 15 mile radius of Overland Park and they were all out along with CVS & Walgreens.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 08:43 PM

Seeing pretty mixed reviews... I've been drinking a lot of dark beer this winter and I'm used to the chocolate stouts and porters, so I think it just comes down to the amount of chocolate. If it's too subtle, the beer itself won't be dark enough to make up for it. Looking forward to trying it.

RockChalk 01-31-2012 08:43 PM

Choco Ale sold out at most stores within 1 hour in lawrence (based on the 3 I stopped at)

They haven't had BBQ for about a month. I'm sad about this. I should've check this thread sooner, as I wasn't aware of the BBQ, but it sounds fantastic.

Titty Meat 01-31-2012 08:45 PM

O.city or anyone else for that matter looking for it that live around KC/Overland Park I can PM you some places I know will be selling it in a few days.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8339878)
YOu guys think they have that chocolate beer at Hyvee?

In KC, no... I went to one a little after lunchtime, and they basically told me all of them in the Northland were out before lunch, except one. I went to that one later and they sold out before they got through the line that had been there for a couple of hours before the truck showed up.

Bearcat 01-31-2012 08:46 PM

A couple of useful resources for Chocolate Ale...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Centr...913252?sk=wall

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2012/...ping-list.html

Phobia 01-31-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8339883)
If it's too subtle, the beer itself won't be dark enough to make up for it. Looking forward to trying it.

Oh, it's not subtle in the slightest.

O.city 01-31-2012 09:08 PM

Well the Boulevard is sold out everywhere in KC, can any of you guys get any?

Titty Meat 01-31-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8339931)
Well the Boulevard is sold out everywhere in KC, can any of you guys get any?

Like I said if you're willing to wait a day or 2 I know a few places that are selling it.

NewChief 01-31-2012 09:16 PM

I'm not a big fan of New Belgium, but I tried their Dig Pale Ale tonight. I dig it. Har Har

In58men 01-31-2012 09:17 PM

I'm trying to find this damn chocolately goodness everyone is taking about and I can't find shit. Would they ship a case? Shit seems rare. I live in Cali and wanna try it.

Dartgod 01-31-2012 09:22 PM

I took a chance at the HyVee here in town and they sold their allotment of 8 cases in 1 hour.

KCUnited 01-31-2012 09:23 PM

There will be places hoarding kegs and popping them sporadically through Feb/March. I think I got a couple of glasses into April last year. Keep your eyes peeled and it will be around.

Phobia 01-31-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8339953)
I'm not a big fan of New Belgium, but I tried their Dig Pale Ale tonight. I dig it. Har Har

I used to love them. Tried a Fat Tire a few weeks back and couldn't finish. I still like their Abbey and 1554 though.

phisherman 01-31-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8339659)
No, it's actually a very unique beer that also tastes good. It fires my beer nerd synapses.

Geez. I'll reword.

My craft beer buddies all sit around and laugh about the serious rush for this beer. They (and I) don't find the Chocolate Ale to be worthy of madhouse stampedes for it. It is good. I just drank two at the Beer Kitchen tonight, matter of fact. However, I find the BBQ or Rye on Rye or Saison Brett to be more worthy of coveting. The sad part (or good part, depending on how you look at it)is, I don't have to deal with huge lines and crazy demand to get either of those. They sell out sure, but not 25 cases (at each store) in 20 minutes, which is what both Hy-Vees in Lee's Summit did this morning.

My reference to beer drinking husbands buying it for wives that don't drink beer is just what drives everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to clamor for it like it's Cipro during an Anthrax outbreak.

phisherman 01-31-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8339974)
I used to love them. Tried a Fat Tire a few weeks back and couldn't finish. I still like their Abbey and 1554 though.

Have you tried the Trippel yet? Not too bad.

Phobia 01-31-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8339984)
Have you tried the Trippel yet? Not too bad.

Yeah. That's another NB offering I can tolerate. I actually try to avoid the 1554 though. Nobody likes me 4-6 hours later. I mean, like NOBODY.

O.city 01-31-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8339945)
Like I said if you're willing to wait a day or 2 I know a few places that are selling it.

Yeah I'm willing. Just let me know Bo.

Thanks man.

Phobia 01-31-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8339982)
They (and I) don't find the Chocolate Ale to be worthy of madhouse stampedes for it.

Nor do I. If Boulevard made this stuff year 'round, they wouldn't sell half as much as they do inside a week.