ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

chasedude 11-30-2011 05:38 PM

Great season ending episode. I'm hoping the next season builds off of this and keeps us guessing.

kcxiv 11-30-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8157084)
Great season ending episode. I'm hoping the next season builds off of this and keeps us guessing.

its not a season finale, its mid season, Season 2 will continue in Feb.

bevischief 11-30-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8157084)

This only mid season. We get the rest in Feb.

KC_Connection 11-30-2011 06:27 PM

They still need to address the Merle situation by the end of this season, I think. Or at least give a hint as to where he is.

chasedude 11-30-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8157104)
its not a season finale, its mid season, Season 2 will continue in Feb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8157106)
This only mid season. We get the rest in Feb.

With a long break between episodes like this, it outta be.

blaise 11-30-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8157167)
With a long break between episodes like this, it outta be.

Yeah, pretty much.

kaplin42 11-30-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8157056)
If this was for real, i see no reason why this wouldnt happen. Its basically anarchy...no law. Whos going to stop them other than themselves.

And this is the real danger in the zombie apocalypse. People don't care anymore, do what they want just because they can.

keg in kc 11-30-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8155585)
I also thought the cinematography was great for that scene. Sophia played the part great, but the camera angle looking back a Rick, but more importantly down the barrel of the gun was awesome.

I thought exactly the same thing. There were some shots in the last 5 minutes that should become iconic for the show. It's a bit of a cliche to say it, but it was like pages taken from a comic book, how it was all staged.

NJChiefsFan 11-30-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8157160)
They still need to address the Merle situation by the end of this season, I think. Or at least give a hint as to where he is.

I figure it won't be a hint but a shocker. Thats why when I saw the tease in the preview a few weeks back I figured it was a dream or something. I also am guessing that it won't happen until they get off the barn and get to some populated area. A little unrealistic, even for a TV show, for Merle to stumble over them on this farm.

Bambi 11-30-2011 10:25 PM

WOW, just watched this weeks episode on DVR. I did NOT see that coming.

Great ending. Still thinking about it.

I love when tv does that. So rare.

Deberg_1990 11-30-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 8157545)
I figure it won't be a hint but a shocker. Thats why when I saw the tease in the preview a few weeks back I figured it was a dream or something. I also am guessing that it won't happen until they get off the barn and get to some populated area. A little unrealistic, even for a TV show, for Merle to stumble over them on this farm.

The other big mystery is what did the CDC guy whisper to Rick at the end of last season? We now know it wasn't that Laurie was pregnant. My co worker speculated that he told him that someone in his team was infected with the zombie virus.

Bambi 11-30-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8155399)
This is cool. Plus you can hear all of the actor's real accents.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3LyKjYlGJxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oh man Jonathan Bernthal sounds like such a pussy in real life. Wish I hadn't have just watched that!

cabletech94 11-30-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8157511)
I thought exactly the same thing. There were some shots in the last 5 minutes that should become iconic for the show. It's a bit of a cliche to say it, but it was like pages taken from a comic book, how it was all staged.

me too. i'm usually pretty spot on when it comes to figuring out the end of a movie, show, etc. especially when i don't have pre-knowledge.
completely caught off guard. and that has something to do with me reading the books.
i'd love to see them try and do more stuff from the novels. but realisticly, it's not possible (or probably not possible).
from now on, i'm expecting even more worse. still have hair standing on end after the show.

NJChiefsFan 11-30-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8157710)
The other big mystery is what did the CDC guy whisper to Rick at the end of last season? We now know it wasn't that Laurie was pregnant. My co worker speculated that he told him that someone in his team was infected with the zombie virus.

Thats not bad. I am not sure it would take that long unless they brought in a new strand or something but its a decent thought. I also don't think Rick would risk letting his kid sleep next to a soon-to-be zombie.

The interesting point though, is that he didn't tell Rick that Laurie was pregnant. I am glad because I thought they had been saving that like people didn't suspect when we all did. Atleast now there is some mystery to it.

Otter 12-01-2011 12:48 AM

Just finished and was impressed.

I thought when Dale said "you're made for this world" Shane would have said somthing more profound like "that's good because it's where I'm at, and so are you". Will be interesting to where they move the plot from here. Power strugle over the farm I'm guessing.

Poor Dale is going to die horribly. That old softie should be teaching a history class or tending a zoo, not trying to survive day to day in totally wrecked world.

I'm interested again.

aturnis 12-01-2011 03:12 AM

Also, something I didn't notice watching the first time that they pointed out was that Glenn didn't just jump into the massacre but looked to Maggie, and surprisingly, she gave him permission to do what had to be done.

They did a pretty good job of conveying that Herschel's beliefs system crumbled before his eyes and how he was crippled/frozen by the weight of the truth. Rick sat there screaming to him "Herschel, take this!" basically telling him "All you have to do is take control of this walker, and I can make this stop", and Herschel just. let. go.

NewChief 12-01-2011 06:14 AM

Good episode. I like how they shot the final scene to make it look like a slaughter of "innocents." They force you to sort of see it through Hershel's eyes, even though you know his point of view is wrong. Also like that Andrea didn't hesitate. She's no longer annoying.

Gonzo 12-01-2011 07:42 AM

I really thought that in this 1st part of the season, we'd see the dude and his kid that saved Rick in the 1st ep. They need to revisit that at some point, don't they?
Posted via Mobile Device

cabletech94 12-01-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8158013)
I really thought that in this 1st part of the season, we'd see the dude and his kid that saved Rick in the 1st ep. They need to revisit that at some point, don't they?
Posted via Mobile Device

gonna have to wait for it (it happens in the graphic novel). at least the revisit. whether or not it transistions into the series remains to be seen. and for the record, the father was on Jericho. i really enjoyed his character there. he could bring something to the group, imo.

Bambi 12-01-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8157982)
Good episode. I like how they shot the final scene to make it look like a slaughter of "innocents." They force you to sort of see it through Hershel's eyes, even though you know his point of view is wrong. Also like that Andrea didn't hesitate. She's no longer annoying.

I love Andrea now. She's getting hot.

That last episode in the car didn't hurt her chances.

Huffmeister 12-01-2011 10:10 AM

One of the things that bugs me about this show this season is their flagrant use of ammo and gas. Do you really need to have five people at a shooting range, burning through ammo, just for 'firearms training'? And do you really need to take three vehicles to get to the shooting range (which I assume is somewhere on the farm)?

L.A. Chieffan 12-01-2011 10:35 AM

thats nitpicking a litle

Huffmeister 12-01-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8158307)
thats nitpicking a litle

Only a little ;)

bevischief 12-01-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8158233)
One of the things that bugs me about this show this season is their flagrant use of ammo and gas. Do you really need to have five people at a shooting range, burning through ammo, just for 'firearms training'? And do you really need to take three vehicles to get to the shooting range (which I assume is somewhere on the farm)?

The comics where the same way...

NewChief 12-01-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8158233)

The means of destruction are plentiful. The means to live and thrive, not so much. At least, that's the artistic statement I get from the constant flagrant displays of firepower (that, and it's cool to see people shoot shit).

L.A. Chieffan 12-01-2011 12:08 PM

what i wanna know is if the disease isnt airborne and you can kill the zombies pretty easily then how the **** did the entire world get infected? maybe the comics do a better job of explaining

NewChief 12-01-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8158571)
what i wanna know is if the disease isnt airborne and you can kill the zombies pretty easily then how the **** did the entire world get infected? maybe the comics do a better job of explaining

Do not question zombie apocalypse.

In all seriousness: the implication is that people are like helpless sheep until the herds been culled. Then we figure things out and kick some ass. That's the time-honored zombie trope.

WhiteWhale 12-01-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Don't do that.

Or else you have to ask other questions like...

Where are infected animals? Wouldn't wild animals, or simply packs of now wold dogs eat these corpses within minutes? What happens to their rapid decay rate? Why not just travel somewhere cold, where their bodies would freeze and break and be immobile? Why not go somewhere really hot and humid where their bodies would decay much faster and they'd be rendered immobile? The 'zombie apocalypse' would be over in 2 weeks.

The whole situation is completely impossible. If you're watching it, you shouldn't really worry about this stuff now.

Bowser 12-01-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

In the novels, it's implied that man did this to himself when he cracked his genetic code and started to tinker around, but there is never any definitive reason as to why the dead rose.

Basically, everyone is infected. You die, you turn into a walker.

Buck 12-01-2011 01:33 PM

Wait a second.

Are there novels other than the graphic novels?

I thought I heard something about this.

jiveturkey 12-01-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 8158707)
Don't do that.

Or else you have to ask other questions like...

Where are infected animals? Wouldn't wild animals, or simply packs of now wold dogs eat these corpses within minutes? What happens to their rapid decay rate? Why not just travel somewhere cold, where their bodies would freeze and break and be immobile? Why not go somewhere really hot and humid where their bodies would decay much faster and they'd be rendered immobile? The 'zombie apocalypse' would be over in 2 weeks.

The whole situation is completely impossible. If you're watching it, you shouldn't really worry about this stuff now.

Have you read World War Z? They the freezing scenario is a big one.

The Z's also eventually rot to the point where they can't do much.

It takes time but as long as there isn't a steady stream of new Z's you can wait it out in a well stocked underground bunker.

Ceej 12-01-2011 03:08 PM

I re-watched season 1 the past two days off from work. And find it ironic that someone else just asked what Edwin Jenner said to Rick shortly before the CDC exploded.

CHENZ A! 12-01-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8159114)
And find it ironic that someone else just asked what Edwin Jenner said to Rick shortly before the CDC exploded.

does anyone who read the comics know if we will ever find out what he said to him? I don't want to know what he said.. I just want to know if we find out eventually or not, or if we're all looking into it too much and it wasn't really anything, or it actually was him telling Rick his old lady was knocked up.

also, I think Glen might be Thai. Have they addressed his nationality? What's your favorite Thai dish? Spring rolls sound good right now.

Thanks

KC_Connection 12-01-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8160377)
does anyone who read the comics know if we will ever find out what he said to him? I don't want to know what he said.. I just want to know if we find out eventually or not, or if we're all looking into it too much and it wasn't really anything, or it actually was him telling Rick his old lady was knocked up.

Haven't read the comics, but I read an interview a while back where a producer said they'll release that information at some point. And that it's kind of a big deal.

kcxiv 12-02-2011 02:54 AM

you allso see that as more of them are around, the more viscous and faster they get. I think they talked about that in season 1.

dmahurin 12-02-2011 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8160377)

also, I think Glen might be Thai. Have they addressed his nationality? What's your favorite Thai dish? Spring rolls sound good right now.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that Glen was Korean but I may be mistaken. And If anyone is interested in the comics you can get a compendium with the first 48 issues on Amazon for 30 bucks. I picked it up and read the whole thing in less than a day. Well worth the money.

Caseyguyrr 12-02-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 8160591)
I'm pretty sure they mentioned that Glen was Korean but I may be mistaken. And If anyone is interested in the comics you can get a compendium with the first 48 issues on Amazon for 30 bucks. I picked it up and read the whole thing in less than a day. Well worth the money.

they did because it think someone made a stereotypical remark about being asian and he corrected them by specifying where he was from.

bevischief 12-02-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8158802)
Wait a second.

Are there novels other than the graphic novels?

I thought I heard something about this.

read World War Z. You will like it.

NewChief 12-02-2011 08:14 AM

Fans of World War Z should also check out Robopocalypse.

jiveturkey 12-02-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8160732)

Kindle wish list, engage!

A robopocalypse sounds way worse than slow moving rotted meat bags.

dmahurin 12-02-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8160732)

Robopocalypse, you mean terminator?

Jawshco 12-02-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8159114)
I re-watched season 1 the past two days off from work. And find it ironic that someone else just asked what Edwin Jenner said to Rick shortly before the CDC exploded.

That whole CDC story line was only in the show- none of that is in the graphic novels. You won't find any more detail about that interaction.

However, there is talk in the Graphic novels that everyone is already infected and that it's only the death (any death other than the destruction of the brain) of humans that causes Zombies. Once a person becomes a zombie- they can kill the living with a toxic bite. So the infection causes Zombies upon death and the toxic bite causes death. In the comics there are more than one bitten characters who slowly die from the toxin. They don't immediately zombify- they die first then zombify.

The zombies do become limited in the books when they freeze, rot or starve. That's what causes the different classes of the zomies in the comics. Biters, Walkers, Crawlers, etc.

NewChief 12-02-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 8161500)
Robopocalypse, you mean terminator?

It's not an original concept, but "Robots taking over the world" dates back way before Arnold stated, "Ah'll be baaack."

The main thing that's interesting about Robocalypse is that it has a similar narrative style to World War Z. It also chronicles how the robots (much like the zombies) initially have the advantage until human ingenuity and imagination kicks in. The survivalist aspects of these stories is what, I think, attracts many people.

dmahurin 12-02-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8161604)
It's not an original concept, but "Robots taking over the world" dates back way before Arnold stated, "Ah'll be baaack."

The main thing that's interesting about Robocalypse is that it has a similar narrative style to World War Z. It also chronicles how the robots (much like the zombies) initially have the advantage until human ingenuity and imagination kicks in. The survivalist aspects of these stories is what, I think, attracts many people.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't strong enough. I've seen the book and wondered if it was good. I'll have to check it out.

Otter 12-02-2011 01:35 PM

This just occurred to me; if Hershel rounded up Sophia and put her in the barn he had to at least suspect it might have been Carol's daughter they were going out for risking life and limb everyday to try and find.

That's pretty low and wonder if it will be brought up. Either way I think they're done at the barn one way or another.

And while I can't find the post Dale states "I'm Korean" after Daryl calls him "short round" (think he meant Indiana Jones sidekick to bust his balls) so that's correct.

NewChief 12-02-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8161620)
This just occurred to me; if Hershel rounded up Sophia and put her in the barn he had to at least suspect it might have been Carol's daughter they were going out for risking life and limb everyday to try and find.

Well, yeah. And Otis's dumb ass risked (and lost) his own life when he knew it was a fool's mission.

Edit: Nevermind.. that was to help out Carl, not to help Sophia.

dmahurin 12-02-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

That's pretty low and wonder if it will be brought up. Either way I think they're done at the barn one way or another.

And while I can't find the post Dale states "I'm Korean" after Daryl calls him "short round" (think he meant Indiana Jones sidekick to bust his balls) so that's correct.

In the last episode he told Rick that Otis rounded them up and put them in the barn. Herschel didn't know about her.

KC_Lee 12-02-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Hershel did not round up the zombies, Otis did. This is why Hershel did not know that Sophia was in the barn. Otis died before Rick's group brought up the Sophia search.

Otter 12-02-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 8161655)
In the last episode he told Rick that Otis rounded them up and put them in the barn. Herschel didn't know about her.

Ah, I missed that part somehow.

aturnis 12-02-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

The And while I can't find the post Dale states "I'm Korean" after Daryl calls him "short round" (think he meant Indiana Jones sidekick to bust his balls) so that's correct.

Dale is the old bearded guy, Glen is the Korean.

the Talking Can 12-02-2011 10:07 PM

just watched it...freaking great

Shane drove it...literally thrilling the last 5 minutes...camera work, edits, everything dialed in....

wow...worth the build up

and the blonde who is now a gun master is insane hotness

Bump 12-02-2011 10:09 PM

this season started off great. I loved that early episode when they were stuck on the highway and the zombies started coming. The middle was pretty terrible, boring, no zombies, annoying bitches and then BAM season finale was fantastic. I hope the 2nd half can pick up where it left off and keep it coming.

NJChiefsFan 12-02-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8161677)
Ah, I missed that part somehow.

It wasn't fully said except in the extra scene shown afterward on 'Hell on Wheels". It was in the show if you connected that Hershel said at the creek that Otis collected them. They never came out and said during the episode that Otis put her in there.

aturnis 12-03-2011 01:57 AM

There are a couple sneak peeks out there of episode 2-08 and it looks to be pretty good...

Otter 12-03-2011 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this funny, this is the scene right before he walks up to Dale and puts his chest into the rifle. How many scene counts before they got it right do you count? :D

Gotta love HiDef

Caseyguyrr 12-03-2011 11:15 PM

so where there be another 7 or 8 episodes in february? or will it just be a couple more to answer some questions and make us wait til next fall?

Gonzo 12-03-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyguyrr (Post 8165543)
so where there be another 7 or 8 episodes in february? or will it just be a couple more to answer some questions and make us wait til next fall?

I think it's supposed to be like 12 episodes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser 12-03-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8165623)
I think it's supposed to be like 12 episodes?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it was 13.

Buck 12-04-2011 12:17 AM

13 total.

6 more.

chasedude 12-04-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8165679)
13 total.

6 more.

Yup

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/episodes#season-2

notorious 12-20-2011 08:15 AM

I just finished reading "The Zombie Survival Guide".

I give it a B.

Caseyguyrr 12-20-2011 08:18 AM

i dunno if ill pick back up on it, this season has sucked a big one

cabletech94 12-20-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyguyrr (Post 8222343)
i dunno if ill pick back up on it, this season has sucked a big one

I think they had to do quite a bit of slow moving episodes to set up some pretty big stuff. Now, I may be totally off base. And the transition from the books to tv hasn't been that close (which it can't on network tv). I'm still optimistic and willing to give another 6 episodes--although, who am I kidding. I'll watch as long as they're pushing out shows.

Fire Me Boy! 12-20-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8222363)
I think they had to do quite a bit of slow moving episodes to set up some pretty big stuff. Now, I may be totally off base. And the transition from the books to tv hasn't been that close (which it can't on network tv). I'm still optimistic and willing to give another 6 episodes--although, who am I kidding. I'll watch as long as they're pushing out shows.

AMC isn't "network TV". It's cable, and the FCC doesn't have any control.

blaise 12-20-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8222371)

No, but they may have to make different decisions than say, HBO would, because of advertiser concerns.

cabletech94 12-20-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8222371)

I knew somebody was gonna slam my nuts in the door when I typed that. I'm typing on wifes iPad, and I hate editing with this thing.
Why don't I use this opportunity yo ask where I could buy a good cast iron cooking pan. Primarily for grilling burgers/etc.

cabletech94 12-20-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8222385)
No, but they may have to make different decisions than say, HBO would, because of advertiser concerns.

Boom goes the dynamite! LMAO

Huffmeister 12-20-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8222336)
I just finished reading "The Zombie Survival Guide".

I give it a B.

I know it's been brought multiple times, but have you read World War Z (also by Brooks)? If not, do yourself a favor and pick it up today.

Fire Me Boy! 12-20-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8222388)
I knew somebody was gonna slam my nuts in the door when I typed that. I'm typing on wifes iPad, and I hate editing with this thing.
Why don't I use this opportunity yo ask where I could buy a good cast iron cooking pan. Primarily for grilling burgers/etc.

Walmart/Target/Amazon.

Just go with Lodge.

NewChief 12-20-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8222437)
I know it's been brought multiple times, but have you read World War Z (also by Brooks)? If not, do yourself a favor and pick it up today.

Seconded. Also, Colson Whitehead is supposed to have a "fresh" look at zombie fiction. He's a "literary" writer, so I'm curious whether anyone has read it or not. I'll probably pick it up.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct...ehead-20111030
Quote:

Colson Whitehead really couldn't have picked a better time to write a zombie novel. Even looking past its Halloween-adjacent release date, "Zone One" comes at a time when such horrors are enjoying a pop culture renaissance that arguably began with Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later" in 2002. In recent years the fascination has grown to include fan conventions, groaningly slouched "zombie walks" through city streets and the splatter-core success of AMC's adaptation of the graphic novel series, "The Walking Dead," which drew record ratings in its season premiere.

Whitehead has explained in interviews that his interest stems from an urge to revisit the horror stories that framed his childhood rather than any sort of trend-hopping, and the proof is in the book's uniquely affecting results. Though certainly as grisly as any of the genre's other memorable excursions that explored such visceral pleasures as those that come from briskly thwacking the undead with a cricket bat (see 2004's "Shaun of the Dead"), Whitehead's zombie universe is a much more tragic and undeniably more human place.

Opening with a romantic remembrance of a still "normal" New York from a young survivor-turned-soldier ironically nicknamed Mark Spitz (a harrowing incident involving a refusal to swim to safety is explained later), "Zone One" spares the form's conventional reliance on summer-movie scares and chase scenes — though there's plenty of those too — and instead turns an unsparing focus on the dark reality such a world-crumbling plague unleashes.

Now part of a militia governed by what's left of a hobbled, corporate-sponsored "American Phoenix" government in Buffalo, Mark Spitz is part of an ambitious effort to reclaim a country for the living that starts with a block-by-block sweep through a walled-off section of Lower Manhattan that gives the book its name. Describing the task in eliminating remaining zombies both volatile ("skels") and those infected but frozen in a sad, catatonic loop of their usual lives in the city's broken-down buildings ("stragglers"), Whitehead casts this three-day spine of the novel with a rich mix of wartime satire and darkly funny social commentary. Loaded with vivid details about a fallen city's lost leftovers, the novel at various points touches on images from our current recession, the aftermath of Sept. 11 and a futile search for sanity among soldiers that recalls a sort of zombie-centric update of "Dispatches," Michael Herr's hauntingly intimate collection of Vietnam war reporting from 1977.

Because as much as Whitehead was inspired by and occasionally references the '70s disaster movies that share DNA with "Zone One," it's his remarkable turns of phrase that lift the story above the gory rubble of a midday matinee. Whether charged with bleak sadness or bone-dry humor, sentences worth savoring pile up faster than the body count, such as cynically acute details like three young triplets who become a reality show-like cause for the soldiers, and a new national anthem, "Stop! Can You Hear the Eagle Roar? (Theme From Reconstruction)." At one point, Whitehead compares humanity's shift to the ravenous undead as self-actualization for the secretly immoral or those too timid to chase their dreams. "I have always been like this," Whitehead coldly observes in a mob of townspeople-turned-monsters. "Now I'm more me."

Huffmeister 12-20-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8222489)
Seconded. Also, Colson Whitehead is supposed to have a "fresh" look at zombie fiction. He's a "literary" writer, so I'm curious whether anyone has read it or not. I'll probably pick it up.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct...ehead-20111030

Sounds interesting. I love zombies, but the over-hype of everything zombie these days is just annoying. Zombie walks, zombie podcasts, zombie cake pictures on Reddit, zombie computer/console games. Actually having a "fresh" take on zombies is a difficult task. Which is why I think I enjoy zombies as more of a backdrop to tell another type of story than just gory horror.

WWZ has a great view into how different people and different cultures could potentially react to a global epidemic. It also had great characters and some really cool "what if" scenarios.

The Walking Dead has good characters (although they drive me crazy sometimes), but it's mainly a survival story that looks into how you would react and behave if most of modern civilization had gone out the window.

And the gore can be fun, too. :D But it's definitely not why I watch/read zombie stories.

notorious 12-20-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8222437)

Already ordered. Thanks!

NewChief 12-20-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8222551)
Already ordered. Thanks!

It's about 10 times the book that the Zombie Survival Guide is. Seriously. It's awesome.

notorious 12-20-2011 09:40 AM

I am a pretty tough critic when it comes to books BTW. The only book that gets an "A" that I have ever read is newest full version of "The Stand".

NewChief 12-20-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8222564)
I am a pretty tough critic when it comes to books BTW. The only book that gets an "A" that I have ever read is newest full version of "The Stand".

My problem with Zombie Survival Guide is that it's a gimmick book, to me. It's the book I point my struggling reader students to, because it's broken into small sections, has illustrations, and allows them to browse read instead of following a narrative. WWZ is an actual novel, and a badass one at that.

notorious 12-20-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8222569)
My problem with Zombie Survival Guide is that it's a gimmick book, to me. It's the book I point my struggling reader students to, because it's broken into small sections, has illustrations, and allows them to browse read instead of following a narrative. WWZ is an actual novel, and a badass one at that.

You summed it up to a "T".

Huffmeister 12-20-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8222569)

Yeah, WWZ is like an extrapolation of the "Recorded Attacks" section of the Zombie Survival Guide. Which, by the way has one of the creepiest zombie scenarios ever...
Spoiler!

frankotank 12-20-2011 10:48 AM

SURELY WWZ isn't on par with The Stand?
I haven't read a good book in a while (SK's last book The Dome was ass). Guess I'll have to check it out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oMm4s1268to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blaise 12-20-2011 11:11 AM

The Stand was good until the last 100 pages or so, I thought. I hated the end, just like most of his books.

Baby Lee 12-20-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8222860)
The Stand was good until the last 100 pages or so, I thought. I hated the end, just like most of his books.

It seems, and this isn't limited to King, the longer the book, the more disappointing the ending.