ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Sure-Oz 04-21-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5690233)
Doubt was really good. It took me watching Frost/Nixon to realize it, interestingly enough. Incidentally, Frost/Nixon was really, really good. I loved it.

Good to hear...

i wasn't really interested in seeing frost/nixon but i thought id give it a shot anyway since it was a new release

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5690238)
Good to hear...

i wasn't really interested in seeing frost/nixon but i thought id give it a shot anyway since it was a new release

I wasn't that much either. I just liked the actors. I didn't know much about the interviews in the first place. But the tension.....loved it.

Miles 04-21-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5689837)
I have doubt, frost/nixon, and the spirit heading my way from netflix....

anyone seen any of these?

Really enjoyed Frost/Nixon. I didn't know much of anything about the interviews but it still worked.

The Spirit was OK. It seemed like it was trying to do too many things which were exaggerated or over top. Some of it worked well and some of it didn't.

Still haven't seen Doubt yet. I should be getting it from Netflix today.

Miles 04-21-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5689938)
Supposedly they wanted to do a more literal translation. How hard would it have been to just include both?

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

It really makes little sense why they didn't add both. Not like subtitle files take up much space on the disc.

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5690663)
It really makes little sense why they didn't add both. Not like subtitle files take up much space on the disc.

They got a PR shitstorm and then backtracked, and reworded, and ultimately kinda said screw you buyers.

I'm not sure where it is now other than they said they might change it but wouldn't offer exchanges.

Miles 04-21-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5691546)
They got a PR shitstorm and then backtracked, and reworded, and ultimately kinda said screw you buyers.

I'm not sure where it is now other than they said they might change it but wouldn't offer exchanges.

Last I read on a blog I occasionally check is that they would be fixing it during production but only after their current inventory is sold.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/01/...ins-subtitles/

Jenson71 04-21-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5689837)
I have doubt, frost/nixon, and the spirit heading my way from netflix....

anyone seen any of these?

I saw Doubt. It has no answers at the end except that there is doubt, whether taken as an analogy on faith (which I assume it is, considering it's a religious movie called Doubt) or looking at it literally. But the acting, as has been mentioned many times by many people, is nice to watch, like the drama unfolding. It's not very cinematic, and some have mentioned that it is too much like a theatrical play and beat it down a bit over that. The argument may be justified, but it didn't bother me at all.

One point though: it's easy to make a traditionalist look bad. The movie went far with that, unfairly.

Otherwise, it's pretty good.

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5691577)
Last I read on a blog I occasionally check is that they would be fixing it during production but only after their current inventory is sold.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/01/...ins-subtitles/

yeah, that's the last entry I read too. I love slashfilm.

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5691597)
I saw Doubt. It has no answers at the end except that there is doubt, whether taken as an analogy on faith (which I assume it is, considering it's a religious movie called Doubt) or looking at it literally. But the acting, as has been mentioned many times by many people, is nice to watch, like the drama unfolding. It's not very cinematic, and some have mentioned that it is too much like a theatrical play and beat it down a bit over that. The argument may be justified, but it didn't bother me at all.

One point though: it's easy to make a traditionalist look bad. The movie went far with that, unfairly.

Well, I would have kept that part under spoiler tags but it's not really a spoiler.

I don't wanna hijack a movie thread, but why did you think they made traditionalists look bad? Or, how do you think they went to far?

blaise 04-21-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5691597)

I've read the play, along with the author's note on the play- he didn't say the Doubt came from an analogy on faith specifically, but he said he had the idea that the concept of Doubt as an emotion was a very strong one. He said it's easy to have a conviction, settle it in your mind and go forward. But to have doubt causes introspection and thought and most people aren't comfortable with that emotion.

Jenson71 04-21-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5691796)
Well, I would have kept that part under spoiler tags but it's not really a spoiler.

I don't wanna hijack a movie thread, but why did you think they made traditionalists look bad? Or, how do you think they went to far?

Sister A was a fricken bitch, who was on a witch hunt but didn't seem to care at all about the children -- it was only to rid of this the new change in the Church. When you compare her to the cool, new progressive priest who everyone loves, it's very contrasting.

Old nuns were nice. There's the stereotype that they just beat the little children with rulers all day. It's true they were stern...but they weren't that bad.

Jenson71 04-21-2009 06:51 PM

Spoilers ahead

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5691866)
I've read the play, along with the author's note on the play- he didn't say the Doubt came from an analogy on faith specifically, but he said he had the idea that the concept of Doubt as an emotion was a very strong one. He said it's easy to have a conviction, settle it in your mind and go forward. But to have doubt causes introspection and thought and most people aren't comfortable with that emotion.

So the ending with Sister A. was just the expression of her discomfort with the doubt of Father doing or not doing the molesting? That very well could be, but it seemed more important, more significant, than just that. Like there had to be something else. But I could be reading into it too much. I will be honest, I came into it expecting a metaphor on faith.

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5691895)
So the ending with Sister A. was just the expression of her discomfort with the doubt of Father doing or not doing the molesting? That very well could be, but it seemed more important, more significant, than just that. Like there had to be something else. But I could be reading into it too much. I will be honest, I came into it expecting a metaphor on faith.

And you didn't see it as one?

I mean they say:

You haven't the slightest proof.
BUT I HAVE MY CERTAINTY!

That was enough for me to see it as a direct metaphor on faith.

Jenson71 04-21-2009 07:21 PM

As I said, I assume it is supposed to be. None of the few reviews I read about it ever mentioned that though, which I thought was weird. But yeah, I think it is. And your quote certainly supports that.

irishjayhawk 04-21-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5691985)
As I said, I assume it is supposed to be. None of the few reviews I read about it ever mentioned that though, which I thought was weird. But yeah, I think it is. And your quote certainly supports that.

Did you read Roger Ebert's review of Doubt? If not, he thought the atmosphere it created jibed with what he grew up in.