ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

KCUnited 01-16-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8303125)
Luke got it together and looked like an ace the second half last year after some "adjustments" were made to his mechanics. Let's hope it carrys over and lasts forever.

Agree on the last sentence. Definitely anxious to see him pitch while the division is still in grasp, when every outing means something.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8303144)
Agree on the last sentence. Definitely anxious to see him pitch while the division is still in grasp, when every outing means something.

Fair enough. He did look real good though.

petegz28 01-16-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Luke got it together and looked like an ace the second half last year after some "adjustments" were made to his mechanics. Let's hope it carrys over and lasts forever.

Luke's problem is the big inning. He can give you 6 shutdown innings then get lit for 4 runs, 4 walks in one inning.

duncan_idaho 01-16-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Biggest change was that he started throwing his slider as an out pitch and was much more successful putting hitters away. K/9 jumped to its highest rate as a result (with GB rate staying high/good).

I'm not sure that mechanical adjustments had much to do with it (they moved him over a few inches on the rubber, as I recall), but whatever it was, here's hoping it stays!

58kcfan89 01-16-2012 06:39 PM

I'm not sure how reliable this guys is, but it looks like Getz got a 1-year deal. ****.

@mlbtrben Ben Nicholson-Smith
The Royals avoided arb with Chris Getz, agreeing to a $967,500 deal for 2012, I have learned

https://twitter.com/#!/mlbtrben/stat...64059851976704

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8302914)
It is kind of cool to see them come out with something that has a little attitude and expectation. I just hope it's not a bit too early.... then again if it is who cares...

Yeah, I mean if the team falls flat on its face (again), no one's gunna blame the marketing department. And other than White Sux fans, no one hates KC enough to remember it very long. On the other hand, if the team is competitive (or God forbid makes the playoffs), "Our Time" can be a good way to get people to the ballpark, put on t-shirts, commercials, etc.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8303199)
Luke's problem is the big inning. He can give you 6 shutdown innings then get lit for 4 runs, 4 walks in one inning.

Yes I know.... like I said I hope his 2nd half performance is indicative of what's to come.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8303410)

I'm not sure that mechanical adjustments had much to do with it (they moved him over a few inches on the rubber, as I recall), but whatever it was, here's hoping it stays!

This is a more accurate description of what I tried to say.

Three7s 01-16-2012 06:48 PM

****ing Getz needs to get the hell out of here.

58kcfan89 01-16-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8303465)

This.

I can take Getz's shitty bat by itself.

I can take Yunicorn's shitty glove by itself.

I don't know if I can take them together...:banghead:

Saul Good 01-16-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8303410)
Biggest change was that he started throwing his slider as an out pitch and was much more successful putting hitters away. K/9 jumped to its highest rate as a result (with GB rate staying high/good).

He was tipping his pitches out of the stretch.

petegz28 01-16-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Getz is good when you need a SAC bunt and nothing else. I'll take Johnny G. over him any day. Defense is about the same if not better and bat is much better.

stonedstooge 01-16-2012 07:18 PM

Getz is a gamer anyway

tk13 01-16-2012 07:49 PM

Glass has spoken.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Quote:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City Royals owner David Glass believes small-market franchises must do whatever it takes to lock up young talent long term, even if it's a sometimes risky proposition.

That means the pressure is on Royals general manager Dayton Moore.

The Royals are expected to field the youngest team in baseball this season, though that hasn't diminished expectations. Many expect them to challenge Detroit in the AL Central behind a cadre of youthful stars such as first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas.

Glass said he expects Moore to begin discussions with both of them on long-term deals as early as this season, even though they just arrived from the minor leagues last year.

"The Indians, the Rays and other people have had some success in keeping the young ones," Glass told The Associated Press on Monday. "I think we've got a special group, and keeping them together and the best of the crop is really important to us."

---

"We like where we are," Dayton Moore said. "Six of the nine players in the lineup for us most days will be homegrown talent, and two of the remaining three will be players we acquired through trades of players that were in our system. Now the players need to go out and play."

The Royals expect another rookie in Lorenzo Cain to start in center field, while left fielder Alex Gordon has talked about signing a long-term deal of his own after a breakout 2011 season.

"It's very slow talks, but I don't think anybody is in a rush to get something done because I have two years left," Gordon said. "Hopefully, eventually, we can get something done."

Glass has always defended the Royals' often meager payroll, but there are signs he's willing to loosen the purse strings - especially if the team is finally in contention.

That could be this season, if expectations turn into results.

"We're never going to be able to do what the big markets do," Glass said. "The Yankees, if they can have $200-million plus, they're always going to have two or three times as much as the rest of us.

"But there's enough flexibility there," he said. "What small markets need to do is position themselves so if they year's going well and they've got a shot at winning their division, then you need to be able to step up and add to that mix whatever you need, whatever you think you need to win."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1jfyuIkrW

SAUTO 01-16-2012 07:52 PM

Glass sounds like hes saying the right things. Hopefully he does it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Getz is fine as a backup imo, which is what he is now.