ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

SPATCH 01-03-2014 10:05 AM

I keep having this dream where the Royals make it to the World Series without me knowing....

The dream happens the same way every time... in every dream I happen to stumble into a bar or someplace where they are showing the final game of the series, and I happen to catch the last few outs where we clinch the series. I watch all of the guys storm the field after the final out and I feel happy, but very underwhelmed at the same time.

Had this dream last night for the fourth or fifth time. Not sure what to make of it.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-03-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 10331149)
I keep having this dream where the Royals make it to the World Series without me knowing....

The dream happens the same way every time... in every dream I happen to stumble into a bar or someplace where they are showing the final game of the series, and I happen to catch the last few outs where we clinch the series. I watch all of the guys storm the field after the final out and I feel happy, but very underwhelmed at the same time.

Had this dream last night for the fourth or fifth time. Not sure what to make of it.

You're not allowed to follow the Royals this year. k?

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10329712)
The Royals would never do this, but the only way I'd be okay with the move is if they move Hos to RF. If they cut ties with Hoch and Davis, it may be possible salary wise as well.

This lineup would be freaking sick.

1. Aoki
2. Hosmer
3. Morales
4. Gordon
5. Butler
6. Salvy
7. Moose
8. Escobar
9. Infante

But, alas, the Royals would never do it.

Gordon and Butler are both better hitters than Kendrys Morales.

Morales and Butler put up nearly identical seasons a year ago. But where as Butler's year was a down year for him, Morales' year was on par with what he has done since coming back from that devastating ankle injury.

Morales does not = Billy Butler. He's older, would be far more expensive (probably 2x as much in salary, plus draft pick compensation), and is actually and even worse runner than Butler.

Three7s 01-03-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331191)

Morales and Butler put up nearly identical seasons a year ago. But where as Butler's year was a down year for him, Morales' year was on par with what he has done since coming back from that devastating ankle injury.

Morales does not = Billy Butler. He's older, would be far more expensive (probably 2x as much in salary, plus draft pick compensation), and is actually and even worse runner than Butler.

It's hard to believe anyone being slower than Billy Butler.

Ceej 01-03-2014 10:27 AM

Wasn't Morales the jackass who tore his ACL celebrating a walk off?

Three7s 01-03-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10331203)

Yes. I cringe every time I see one of those walk-off beat-downs teams do after game-winning hits.

WhawhaWhat 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 10331196)

He's never been quite the same since breaking his leg/ankle.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

I know, but he is slower. Cost his team more runs on the basepaths than Butler and was actually worse defensively in similarly limited action.

That ankle injury destroyed his lower half.

ChiTown 01-03-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331191)

NFW on Morales. That would make ZERO sense for a number of reasons - especially for the reasons you list above. He can hit for more power, but his K/Walk ratio is much worse than Billy, has a worse OPS and is not a Doubles machine like BB. That would be awful

WhawhaWhat 01-03-2014 10:41 AM

BTW, Kendrys Morales' agent is Scott Boras.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10331203)

He destroyed his ankle after hitting a walk-off granny.

Video here.

Jumped, landed. Believe it was a compound fracture of his ankle and possibly a fracture of one of the small bones in the lower leg. Rehab also went poorly, which is why he missed almost 2 full seasons. You can tell from this clip, too, comparing it to pictures of him now, he has probably put on 20-30 pounds since the injury.

Quote:

To further elaborate on this, check out the chart in this article: About 1/3 down the page.

Cliffs: Morales has been measured at costing his team 28.2 runs since he debuted in 2006 (Butler debuted in 2007). Butler is measured as costing the Royals 31.7 runs. So Morales' total comes out to 89 percent of Butler's total.

Sounds like they're about the same then, right? Well, they're not... because Morales total comes in 2284 PA, while Butler's comes in 4064 PA. Morales has just 56 percent of Butler's PA but has cost his team nearly as many runs on the bases.

Spread Morales' total out to the same number of PAs as Billy, and you're looking at Morales costing you 50.2 runs... or 58 percent more than Butler.

Morales isn't just worse than Butler. He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse on the bases than Billy Butler.

AndChiefs 01-03-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331240)
He destroyed his ankle after hitting a walk-off granny.

Video here.

Jumped, landed. Believe it was a compound fracture of his ankle and possibly a fracture of one of the small bones in the lower leg. Rehab also went poorly, which is why he missed almost 2 full seasons. You can tell from this clip, too, comparing it to pictures of him now, he has probably put on 20-30 pounds since the injury.

To further elaborate on this, check out the chart in this article: About 1/3 down the page.

Cliffs: Morales has been measured at costing his team 28.2 runs since he debuted in 2006 (Butler debuted in 2007). Butler is measured as costing the Royals 31.7 runs. So Morales' total comes out to 89 percent of Butler's total.

Sounds like they're about the same then, right? Well, they're not... because Morales total comes in 2284 PA, while Butler's comes in 4064 PA. Morales has just 56 percent of Butler's PA but has cost his team nearly as many runs on the bases.

Spread Morales' total out to the same number of PAs as Billy, and you're looking at Morales costing you 50.2 runs... or 58 percent more than Butler.

Morales isn't just worse than Butler. He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse on the bases than Billy Butler.

That's pretty darn impressive.

duncan_idaho 01-03-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 10331262)
That's pretty darn impressive.

KC fans have always focused too much on Butler's baserunning. He's not good at it - he's really bad at it, in fact - but he's not unique in that amongst other DH/1B types.

AndChiefs 01-03-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10331277)
KC fans have always focused too much on Butler's baserunning. He's not good at it - he's really bad at it, in fact - but he's not unique in that amongst other DH/1B types.

I think it's partly because there's not many true DH's out there so there's not many to compare him to. And 1B has some slow guys like that but I'd still put most of them as superior baserunners to Billy.

There's definitely no reason to get rid of him, however. Even though he does clog the basepaths.

Three7s 01-03-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 10331296)
I think it's partly because there's not many true DH's out there so there's not many to compare him to. And 1B has some slow guys like that but I'd still put most of them as superior baserunners to Billy.

There's definitely no reason to get rid of him, however. Even though he does clog the basepaths.

I think what everyone clamors on about is that most of the "true" DHs, while slow like Billy, could hit homers with regularity. Butler hits around 20+ HRs a year, while most of the DHs I remember like Thome or Giambi would hit 40+ a year.