ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell considering doing away with kickoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267426)

BigMeatballDave 12-07-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9187871)

Did anybody even look at what was being proposed?

Yes. It's called garbage.

Brock 12-07-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9187871)
You're not eliminating special teams. You're replacing a kickoff with a punt.

Did anybody even look at what was being proposed?

You really need to stop trying to sell this turd. You're a lot smarter than that.

htismaqe 12-07-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9187998)
Yes. It's called garbage.

Well, the alternative is no kickoff or punt of any kind.

I realize people don't want football to change but the cold, hard reality is that it is GOING TO, whether we want it to or not.

In that vein, we should all be open to exploring alternatives that maintain some semblance of the game we know today.

Or we can cross our arms, reject all change, and then bitch when they outlaw tackling and make them use flags...

htismaqe 12-07-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9188015)
You really need to stop trying to sell this turd. You're a lot smarter than that.

See my response to Dave.

You can't stop the changes that are coming. Our only hope as fans is to steer them...

Brock 12-07-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9188017)
Well, the alternative is no kickoff or punt of any kind.

I realize people don't want football to change but the cold, hard reality is that it is GOING TO, whether we want it to or not.

In that vein, we should all be open to exploring alternatives that maintain some semblance of the game we know today.

Or we can cross our arms, reject all change, and then bitch when they outlaw tackling and make them use flags...

Nah. I think I'll just stop watching it. It already sucks and they're seemingly in a race to make it even worse.

htismaqe 12-07-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9188023)
Nah. I think I'll just stop watching it. It already sucks and they're seemingly in a race to make it even worse.

That's certainly a viable alternative.

I just don't get the outrage over KICKOFFS.

People bitch about kickers all the time. FG suck. Touchbacks suck.

But when they propose replacing the kickoff, people go all "bah, what are they doing? next thing you know they'll get rid of leather helmets."

It's silly.

Brock 12-07-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9188030)
That's certainly a viable alternative.

I just don't get the outrage over KICKOFFS.

People bitch about kickers all the time. FG suck. Touchbacks suck.

But when they propose replacing the kickoff, people go all "bah, what are they doing? next thing you know they'll get rid of leather helmets."

It's silly.

Really, you're going to compare equipment upgrades to removing something that's been an integral part of the game for 100 years? Speaking of silly.

htismaqe 12-07-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9188035)
Really, you're going to compare equipment upgrades to removing something that's been an integral part of the game for 100 years? Speaking of silly.

I made an absurd comparison on purpose.

The ONLY reason people are complaining is for that VERY reason - it's always been that way.

There's been no consideration of how utterly useless the kickoff is in the modern game.

Only that we can't change it because "it's been an integral part of the game for 100 years".

CLX 12-07-2012 02:14 PM

We need to find a way for the players to not get injured.

Submit new rules so we can send them to the comish for consideration.

1. If you run the 40 in less than 5.0 seconds you cannot participate in the league. Speed kills.
2. If you can catch a ball that is cranked out of a juggs machine at 100 MPH you cannot play in the league.
3. If you can throw the football further down-field than 30 yards you cannot play in the game (Cassel is safe).

Got any good ones to suggest?

Who'd of ever thought the game of football would be bastardized so far down that the games would be changed so much they would look like the last "Pro-Bowl"?

Brock 12-07-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9188046)
I made an absurd comparison on purpose.

The ONLY reason people are complaining is for that VERY reason - it's always been that way.

There's been no consideration of how utterly useless the kickoff is in the modern game.

Only that we can't change it because "it's been an integral part of the game for 100 years".

It's only useless because they made it useless. If the argument is "kickoffs are too dangerous", then the argument will inevitably become "tackle football is too dangerous", and the game is doomed anyway. It's already being talked about, so why am I going to waste my time on a doomed game?

htismaqe 12-07-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9188055)
It's only useless because they made it useless. If the argument is "kickoffs are too dangerous", then the argument will inevitably become "tackle football is too dangerous", and the game is doomed anyway. It's already being talked about, so why am I going to waste my time on a doomed game?

Very good point.

mcan 12-07-2012 02:25 PM

In general, I think keeping it the way it is, or even moving the ko line back to its old spot would be my preference. But I woukdnt really mind this 4th and 15 idea. A blocked punt or a 4th a 15 conversion is WAY more exciting than an onsides kick. And both are way more likely. Not to mention the better field position that most drives would start with, and the practical elimination of the touchback to start a drive, which is the most boring thing to watch in the NFL. And there will still be plenty of kicks returned for a td. I'm starting to like this idea the more I think about it.

htismaqe 12-07-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9188085)
In general, I think keeping it the way it is, or even moving the ko line back to its old spot would be my preference. But I woukdnt really mind this 4th and 15 idea. A blocked punt or a 4th a 15 conversion is WAY more exciting than an onsides kick. And both are way more likely. Not to mention the better field position that most drives would start with, and the practical elimination of the touchback to start a drive, which is the most boring thing to watch in the NFL. And there will still be plenty of kicks returned for a td. I'm starting to like this idea the more I think about it.

:clap:

dirk digler 12-07-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9188035)

So has the extra point. It is pointless as well.

I agree with you they should move it back but if they aren't going to do that might as well try something else.

Brock 12-07-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9188123)
So has the extra point. It is pointless as well.

So make it harder.