ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs having internal meetings about changes to defensive coaching staff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320766)

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-22-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14063932)
It's pretty bad that the minute this team lost Dontari Poe and Sean Smith the defense completely fell off a cliff.

So basically he has to have those 2 guys at a high level or he can't call a game.

A run stuffing DT and a shutdown corner that can take away the opponent's best offensive player are both important to any defense I'd assume...

Mecca 01-22-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haglund's_Spirit (Post 14063939)
A run stuffing DT and a shutdown corner that can take away the opponent's best offensive player are both important to any defense I'd assume...

Sean Smith wasn't exactly a shutdown guy more than his size made playing physical a bitch for an offense and his length made throwing over him super hard.

But the fact that they've both been gone for awhile and it seems like nothing can be done to replace them means you suck as a coach. If you can't be alright without these certain guys, problem.

When Sean Smith came here he didn't even have a great rep of being good.

Chiefshrink 01-22-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14063931)
Having players literally be moved to their spots on the field because they had no idea where to line up....

tells you that BB has schemed well and they were not prepped/coached ahead of time for these potential looks therefore the D players panic in not knowing what to do.

bowener 01-22-2019 01:20 PM

Rumor is CBS is looking to give Romo a raise and long contract. I think they are scared he is going to be the next DC for the Chiefs and help take them to the Super Bowl 5 years in a row.

The Franchise 01-22-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14063949)
Rumor is CBS is looking to give Romo a raise and long contract. I think they are scared he is going to be the next DC for the Chiefs and help take them to the Super Bowl 5 years in a row.

If you're serious right now....then you're ****ing reeruned.

chiefzilla1501 01-22-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 14063948)
tells you that BB has schemed well and they were not prepped/coached ahead of time for these potential looks therefore the D players panic in not knowing what to do.

I was thinking more of the San Diego game where berry was literally moving players to their spots.

chiefzilla1501 01-22-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14063932)
It's pretty bad that the minute this team lost Dontari Poe and Sean Smith the defense completely fell off a cliff.

So basically he has to have those 2 guys at a high level or he can't call a game.

Our defense fell off the cliff two years ago. We were having decent success with our dime defense until qbs just heaved up prayer balls and either complete it or we'd commit blatant PI. That and the pick play seemed a lot more our death knell than specific players.

Mecca 01-22-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14063967)
Our defense fell off the cliff two years ago. We were having decent success with our dime defense until qbs just heaved up prayer balls and either complete it or we'd commit blatant PI. That and the pick play seemed a lot more our death knell than specific players.

That's part of it but it seems to me the loss of those 2 players caused some massive fall off from the defense.

Chiefshrink 01-22-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14063962)
I was thinking more of the San Diego game where berry was literally moving players to their spots.

both:thumb::D

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-22-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14063945)

When Sean Smith came here he didn't even have a great rep of being good.

so, what made him good here?

Coaching?

He was put in a position to take advantage of his skill set?

Can't have it both ways...

The fact is that the front office didn't replace Sean Smith, Marcus Peters, OR Dontari Poe.

I just want to warn everyone of the fallacy of thinking a change of coordinators can make any substantial difference, when we clearly have a talent issue on the defensive side of the ball.

Remember when Goonther came back in 2004, everyone thought we were going to the Souper Bowl...but the defense was actually worse under Cunningham, and we finished 7-9?

That's what happens when you think it's the scheme and not the players.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-22-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Well, some players suck.

Some players don't know that they're not supposed to line up in the neutral zone.

chiefzilla1501 01-22-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haglund's_Spirit (Post 14063993)
so, what made him good here?

Coaching?

He was put in a position to take advantage of his skill set?

Can't have it both ways...

The fact is that the front office didn't replace Sean Smith, Marcus Peters, OR Dontari Poe.

I just want to warn everyone of the fallacy of thinking a change of coordinators can make any substantial difference, when we clearly have a talent issue on the defensive side of the ball.

Remember when Goonther came back in 2004, everyone thought we were going to the Souper Bowl...but the defense was actually worse under Cunningham, and we finished 7-9?

That's what happens when you think it's the scheme and not the players.

I think the pass interference and defensive holding emphasis ruined us. Not enforcing pick plays didn't help. Our scheme was extremely dependent on coverage and press coverage.

FAX 01-22-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Here's a disturbing thought ...

We all saw Berry directing people in the d-backfield. But, how do we know he was lining them up correctly?

The fact is that we lost every game in which Berry played.

FAX

Sassy Squatch 01-22-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haglund's_Spirit (Post 14064001)
Well, some players suck.

Some players don't know that they're not supposed to line up in the neutral zone.

Yep. It's all on the players. The most important game in Arrowhead history and multiple players are looking at the sideline in confusion because they aren't prepared. Not on Sutton at all.

bowener 01-22-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14063957)
If you're serious right now....then you're ****ing reeruned.

DEAD ****ING SERIOUS, BRO. ROMO OR BUST!