ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The Flopnuts Fatties Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262790)

Frosty 08-28-2012 02:14 PM

BTW, I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from doing keto or anything like that. I was doing zero carb, not what Buck was talking about, so wasn't getting any carb at all. I was just pointing out that there were a few things to watch for.

I have to say that nothing kills my appetite like ZC. I almost have to remind myself to eat.

keg in kc 08-28-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8859740)
It's keg! I thought maybe you left forever or something.

Nah, just a little offseason vacation. It helps the sanity.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 03:35 PM

Thanks Keg. That's where I'm at. I said often times over the last couple of years I was making a conscious decision to get fat again. At least I know what to do, how to do it, and I'm not in nearly as poor of shape as I was the first time. Life's good. I'm just impatient as a mother****er.

Buck 08-28-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8859661)
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1743

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=2028

It doesn't happen to everyone and it seems to be avoided by consuming about 50 g carbs per day.

When you go very low carb (VLC), your body tries to maintain blood sugar levels through the glycogen stored in your liver. Eventually your body switches over to ketones for fuel, reducing the need for glucose. However, not everything in your body can run on ketones, so some glucose is still necessary (about 50 g /day). If you aren't eating carbs that glucose has to come primarily from converting protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient, though, and it takes about 2g of protein for 1g of glucose. If you aren't getting enough protein or exercising too hard (like long distance running or biking) you can end up in a state of permanently depleted liver glycogen, which is a sign of starvation to the body. The body reacts to this by slowing the metabolism (through the thyroid).

Refeeds and diet breaks work because they replenish the liver glycogen, signalling the thyroid that everything is fine and you aren't starving. Also, I think some people are just better at gluconeogenesis and can keep their glycogen topped off.

BTW, if you do LC below 50g/day, you need to increase your protein intake quite a bit to avoid losing muscle while trying to maintain blood sugar levels.

Just wondering how old you are.

Frosty 08-28-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860043)
Just wondering how old you are.

Was 46 when started ZC.

Buck 08-28-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8860052)
Was 46 when started ZC.

When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Frosty 08-28-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8860062)
When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Maybe. I've always had a hard time getting keto adapted. It takes me a long time to get over the carb flu when going low carb.

However, the studies back up what I said. VLC mimics starvation so it isn't surprising that your body would react to VLC as it would starvation (slowing the metabolism). Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be a permanent adaptation, so refeeds and diet breaks are useful to overcome the problem.

I was very active in the ZC and VLC communities and knew quite a few people, both young and older, that had the same kind of reaction to long term VLC. I also knew a lot of people that seemed to take to it well over the long term, so it seems highly individualistic.

I'm not bashing it. It worked great for me for quick weight loss; I just can't stay on it long term.

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:00 PM

I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pale...balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subsc...#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:03 PM

And I requested to join the group.

morphius 08-28-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860097)
I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pale...balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subsc...#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.

For cardio I do prefer HIIT, it can be a killer compared to most other routines. I'm trying to work my way back into it as earlier this year I was doing 60 second sprints, 60 seconds rest 10 times.

Frosty 08-28-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860105)
And I requested to join the group.

So did I

jiveturkey 08-28-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8860117)
For cardio I do prefer HIIT, it can be a killer compared to most other routines. I'm trying to work my way back into it as earlier this year I was doing 60 second sprints, 60 seconds rest 10 times.

I just started the sprinting and only do it once a week.

I do 6 x 50 meters at half speed and then 6 x 50 all out with a 400 meter warm up.

The first attempt left my lower body in shambles. The 2nd attempt was better but I was still sore for 3 days and my latest attempt felt really good.

I'm surprised that there's so many muscles that I wasn't hitting with distance running, swimming or weights in the past.

I'll start mixing in hill sprints and working up to 100 meter workouts eventually.

NewChief 08-28-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8860127)
I just started the sprinting and only do it once a week.

I do 6 x 50 meters at half speed and then 6 x 50 all out with a 400 meter warm up.

The first attempt left my lower body in shambles. The 2nd attempt was better but I was still sore for 3 days and my latest attempt felt really good.

I'm surprised that there's so many muscles that I wasn't hitting with distance running, swimming or weights in the past.

I'll start mixing in hill sprints and working up to 100 meter workouts eventually.

I've posted it up before, but I think this is worth reposting:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B-m37Kfhc9...-vs-sprint.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts 08-28-2012 04:38 PM

Love that picture. I'm going to do a weigh in on 09/01 for anyone who wants too. I already know my approximate starting weight, and I'm purposely waiting until 10/01 to find out where I'm at. I don't want a scale to be a part of this process for the first 2-3 months. I'm going to weigh monthly just to make sure I'm hitting targets and for adjustment purposes. The last time I did this I obsessed over the scale way too much. I'd like to find something else to obsess over this time around. :)

Marcellus 08-28-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8860171)
Love that picture. I'm going to do a weigh in on 09/01 for anyone who wants too. I already know my approximate starting weight, and I'm purposely waiting until 10/01 to find out where I'm at. I don't want a scale to be a part of this process for the first 2-3 months. I'm going to weigh monthly just to make sure I'm hitting targets and for adjustment purposes. The last time I did this I obsessed over the scale way too much. I'd like to find something else to obsess over this time around. :)

What kind of phone you have?