ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gasoline at $4 Coming to a Pump Near You, Unfazed by Rising Tab (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161736)

Donger 07-01-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7724425)
This might be the saddest thread on CP. If a bunch of super rich ****'s all chipped in, they could use Solar, Wing, Wave and Geothermal technologies to built a mass transit system for the world that would never require gasoline or Big Oil for us, our children and their children, and their children's children.

It would take trillions of dollars, millions of laborers and 10-20 years of work, but we could save ourselves from this. And future generations would look back and thank us, as opposed to looking back and cursing us.

Think about how many countries spent 5-10 years building building nukes and missiles during the Cold War, only to all disarm them. They could have worked towards building a better world for their kids i.e. us. Instead, we're all struggling to make ends meet, work jobs we hate to pay for gas we shouldn't need, so we can go back to work the next day. Endless suffering, when we could have endless prosperity.

LMAO

Bwana 07-01-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7724786)
LMAO

Exactly

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-01-2011 08:27 AM

This Country will never leave a State of War.

Donger 07-01-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7724528)
Kansas City is a metropolitan area, we don't have mass transit. Plus there are LOTS of of non oil alternatives like Solar, Wind, Wave (not in Kansas) and Geothermal that if harnessed correctly, could repower themselves and actually work in smaller venues if enough resouces (billions) were spent.

I know it's not gonna happen here, or most anywhere else anytime soon. And I also know the time, money and manpower would be extraordinary in order to do it, but it CAN be done. Mankind is smart, look what we've done. What was considered impossible 100 years ago is now a part of everyday life - cell phone signals in Siberia, satellites, brain surgery, the internet.

I refuse to believe the human race isn't smart enough to learn how to live in a world without oil.

It's really pretty simple: gasoline is still the most economically-viable method of powering vehicles. That being said, I'm all for alternative/renewable energy, but how are those going to power our cars?

Donger 07-01-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7724528)
Kansas City is a metropolitan area, we don't have mass transit. Plus there are LOTS of of non oil alternatives like Solar, Wind, Wave (not in Kansas) and Geothermal that if harnessed correctly, could repower themselves and actually work in smaller venues if enough resouces (billions) were spent.

I know it's not gonna happen here, or most anywhere else anytime soon. And I also know the time, money and manpower would be extraordinary in order to do it, but it CAN be done. Mankind is smart, look what we've done. What was considered impossible 100 years ago is now a part of everyday life - cell phone signals in Siberia, satellites, brain surgery, the internet.

I refuse to believe the human race isn't smart enough to learn how to live in a world without oil.

Doesn't KC have a bus system? A quick look tells me that it does: http://www.kcata.org/

How often do you ride it?

Backwards Masking 07-01-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7724886)
Doesn't KC have a bus system? A quick look tells me that it does: http://www.kcata.org/

How often do you ride it?

I don't live work in KCMO or JO so I couldn't use it. I would in a heartbeat if it went by my home and work and save me money.

Backwards Masking 07-01-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7724882)
It's really pretty simple: gasoline is still the most economically-viable method of powering vehicles. That being said, I'm all for alternative/renewable energy, but how are those going to power our cars?

Electrically. Is it currently the most economically vaible method? No. But it could be if over time if enough money was initially invested. It's certainly better for the environment, and due to oil being a limited resource, makes much more sense in the long haul. And just because gasoline's cheaper right now, when oil becomes scarce in 20-30 years it won't be.

sedated 07-01-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7724738)
1. you're damn right! for both me and the precious children you older timers claim to care so much about.

2. i could, but it'd cost me a lot less (and future generations) once we completed one here.

having you, of all people, champion a cause for the benefit of future generations is pretty ironic. Don't you have a t-shirt that says "f**k the children"? :p

Backwards Masking 07-01-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 7725202)
having you, of all people, champion a cause for the benefit of future generations is pretty ironic. Don't you have a t-shirt that says "f**k the children"? :p

Surely you noticed I put myself ahead of the children in that post LOL. Hey, everybody else uses 'em to support thieir arguments, so can I!

penguinz 07-01-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7725197)
Electrically. Is it currently the most economically vaible method? No. But it could be if over time if enough money was initially invested. It's certainly better for the environment, and due to oil being a limited resource, makes much more sense in the long haul. And just because gasoline's cheaper right now, when oil becomes scarce in 20-30 years it won't be.

How do you expect that electricity to be generated? Fossil fuels are burnt to make it.

Backwards Masking 07-01-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 7725219)
How do you expect that electricity to be generated? Fossil fuels are burnt to make it.

Solar, wind, wave and geothermal. I'm not smart enough to explain how but I know based scientific studies by people far smarter than me that the technogolgy is there. I also know the manpower, time and money spent to build these giant, energy recycling constructs is astronomical, and would put a giant dent in the economy (the word economy actually means to economize i.e. retain resouces as opposed to wasting them), which, admittedly would suck for awhile.

But things suck right now anyway. And as taunting a task as it would to do this, it can't be more daunting than continuing using up all the oil in the world in the next 30 years (which will happen much sooner than later) and going "Oh crap, we're fucked. Oops!"

Donger 07-01-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7725190)
I don't live work in KCMO or JO so I couldn't use it. I would in a heartbeat if it went by my home and work and save me money.

Okay. Do you own a bike? Are you physically capable of walking?

Donger 07-01-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7725197)

And how are you going to generate all this new demand? You okay with building more nuclear plants?

Very little of the electricity we use comes from oil, BTW.

Simply Red 07-01-2011 01:16 PM

Not only did I fill up last night w/ 93 - I topped it w/ Outlaw Octane boost - w00T!!! Life's so rad..

Donger 07-01-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7725235)
Solar, wind, wave and geothermal. I'm not smart enough to explain how but I know based scientific studies by people far smarter than me that the technogolgy is there. I also know the manpower, time and money spent to build these giant, energy recycling constructs is astronomical, and would put a giant dent in the economy (the word economy actually means to economize i.e. retain resouces as opposed to wasting them), which, admittedly would suck for awhile.

But things suck right now anyway. And as taunting a task as it would to do this, it can't be more daunting than continuing using up all the oil in the world in the next 30 years (which will happen much sooner than later) and going "Oh crap, we're fucked. Oops!"

You could cover the entire country with solar panels and still be nowhere near the demand that all electric powered vehicles require.

Same thing with wind.

Same thing with wave.

Same thing with geothermal.

We could readily do it with nuclear.