ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Buck 07-21-2009 07:52 PM

Sweet, finally about to leave work. Hurray for 12 hour days, amirite?

Going to Best Buy on the way home.

I've been waiting so long to see this movie.

Peace out homies.

KcMizzou 07-21-2009 09:43 PM

I watched "The Orphanage" tonight. Great, great movie. Del Toro is a genius.

(Beware... subtitles)

Reaper16 07-21-2009 09:46 PM

Watched the Spike Lee documentary "When the Levees Broke." A stirring, enraging four hours.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-21-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5916002)
Watched the Spike Lee documentary "When the Levees Broke." A stirring, enraging four hours.

Yeah it was. I got particularly riled up about that old man who had paid his homeowners insurance forever, and his son had to wait until the agent was gone to give his father the news that he had been kicked to the curb, in order to keep the agent from getting greased by the old man.

Not a very inspiring chapter in American history.

Miles 07-22-2009 12:14 AM

Just finished Watchmen and really enjoyed it. Outstanding blu ray as well. While it was long as hell at over three hours, my initial reaction is that it could be my favorite of the comic book movies.

Does anyone know what was added with the director's cut?

Jenson71 07-22-2009 12:21 AM

Watched a pretty good 1970s horror movie called "Alice, Sweet Alice". Brooke Shield's first movie (she was 9, I think).

A lot of religious/Catholic themes and scenery, murder, and mysterious children. In that way, the movie seemed like a blend of The Exorcist and Don't Look Now, two of the greatest horror movies of the 70s.

The ending reminded me of the endings of the R.L. Stine Goosebumps. In other words, it was a little gimmicky. Other than that, the movie had a lot of stuff going for it.

Reaper16 07-22-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5916277)
Just finished Watchmen and really enjoyed it. Outstanding blu ray as well. While it was long as hell at over three hours, my initial reaction is that it could be my favorite of the comic book movies.

Does anyone know what was added with the director's cut?

Just more scenes from the graphic novel. I don't know which ones specifically. I would have bought the director's cut today, but I'm holding out for December's 5-disc ultimate edition.

Rausch 07-22-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5916299)
Just more scenes from the graphic novel. I don't know which ones specifically. I would have bought the director's cut today, but I'm holding out for December's 5-disc ultimate edition.

Ditto.

And I'll again repeat that while probably the most loyal (to the original material) CB flick EVAR it's not for kids.

That, and this is the first time I've ever watched a movie that changed the ending (or cause of ending) of a book/comic/graphic novel that IMPROVED upon the original. Yes, the ending is BETTER in the flick (and more plausable) than the comic.

I think the ending to the movie is far more believable and at the same time delivers the punch-to-the-gut moment the original story did...

Deberg_1990 07-22-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5916290)
Watched a pretty good 1970s horror movie called "Alice, Sweet Alice". Brooke Shield's first movie (she was 9, I think).

A lot of religious/Catholic themes and scenery, murder, and mysterious children. In that way, the movie seemed like a blend of The Exorcist and Don't Look Now, two of the greatest horror movies of the 70s.

The ending reminded me of the endings of the R.L. Stine Goosebumps. In other words, it was a little gimmicky. Other than that, the movie had a lot of stuff going for it.

I remember that. They used to play that sometimes back in the old KC "Friday Fright Night" days.

I remember it had a really creepy vibe to it.

Deberg_1990 07-22-2009 07:48 AM

OK, watched the Watchmen last night. Decent flick, had some nice themes, well made for the most part...but overall too depressing for my taste.

One thing i didnt understand....These guys have no real superpowers right? How come every fight scene it appeared as if they did?? Super punches, super kicks, guys leaping into the air?? Other than it looking cool, i saw no real reason for this?

Fairplay 07-22-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5915805)
Well, I got the last blu-ray Watchmen that Blockbuster had. I'll either watch it later tonight or tomorrow.

I bet frazod will be disappointed in the movie. Wait and see.

Fairplay 07-22-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5916453)
One thing i didnt understand....These guys have no real superpowers right? How come every fight scene it appeared as if they did?? Super punches, super kicks, guys leaping into the air?? Other than it looking cool, i saw no real reason for this?

Action movies, sci-fi movie, nice eye candy movies are okay. But it always comes down to if the story is good and kept your interest.

Give me a movie like 3:10 to Yuma any day.

pikesome 07-22-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5916453)

That's one of the complaints some fans of the comics voiced. I would say that if they followed the novel closer it would have been even more depressing. Maybe too depressing.

In my mind Rorschach/Jackie Earle Haley made up for any problems the adaptation might have had. Even Malin Åkerman's kinda crappy performance.

pikesome 07-22-2009 08:58 AM

I watched some movies I never got around to over the weekend.

Untraceable was crap. Not really much more to say. I hate the way anything computer related is portrayed in movies, it always seems like the filmmakers think we're idiots or they are or both.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan was a mess of a movie. Mixing a commentary on the ME conflict with middle school humor didn't work for me the least. Although, Emmanuelle Chriqui did. Wow! :whackit:

Planet Terror, the first half of Grindhouse was kinda cool, the problem is it couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted to be a homage or a parody. It makes me think of Evil Dead 2 but nowhere near as well crafted. Evil Dead 2 was a straight horror movie turned up to 11 which made it funny. You couldn't be sure if it was intended to be comedy or just bad, that is it's genius. Planet Terror tried too hard, IMHO, to be funny or over the top in a lot of places.

Fire Me Boy! 07-22-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5916511)
Give me a movie like 3:10 to Yuma any day.

This.