ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

Mi_chief_fan 07-14-2013 09:54 PM

Allen Craig>Anthony Rizzo

O.city 07-14-2013 09:54 PM

.337 with runners in scoring position for half a year of baseball is pretty impressive.

O.city 07-14-2013 09:56 PM

21 hits. Nice.

So for the 2nd half, we need our starting pitching to get back on track, Freese and Holliday to get heads out of asses, and a SS or CF to emerge or play better.

Marcellus 07-14-2013 09:56 PM

I will take it. 21 over at the break.

O.city 07-14-2013 09:57 PM

I realize you can say this every year, but ****, we're 21 games over .500 and could easily be sitting close to 30 if

A.) Boggs doesn't shit his dick off early in the year

B.) Our bullpen didn't suck early.

DJ's left nut 07-14-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9812832)
I realize you can say this every year, but ****, we're 21 games over .500 and could easily be sitting close to 30 if

A.) Boggs doesn't shit his dick off early in the year

B.) Our bullpen didn't suck early.

C.) We didn't coast for the last 6 weeks.

The Cardinals were at 37-18 after their June 1 double-header against the Giants.

They've gone 20-18 since and they've done it without Mitchell Boggs. The Cardinals started reading their press clippings and have been playing down to their opponents for entirely too long.

It's time to stop talking about Mitchell Boggs are the early-season bullpen struggles. We've had 6 credible relievers in the bullpen for several weeks and it's yielded us a barely better than .500 record. Sure, this team could be a little better, but it could very easily be worse.

They need to step it back up if they want to win this division.

O.city 07-14-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9812869)
C.) We didn't coast for the last 6 weeks.

The Cardinals were at 37-18 after their June 1 double-header against the Giants.

They've gone 20-18 since and they've done it without Mitchell Boggs. The Cardinals started reading their press clippings and have been playing down to their opponents for entirely too long.

It's time to stop talking about Mitchell Boggs are the early-season bullpen struggles. We've had 6 credible relievers in the bullpen for several weeks and it's yielded us a barely better than .500 record. Sure, this team could be a little better, but it could very easily be worse.

They need to step it back up if they want to win this division.

Very much so.

We took 2 of 3 from te reds in cincy and pretty much fumbled around since.

I don't think it's any coincidence though that during that last stretch, the starting pitching hasn't been very good at all.

Pepe Silvia 07-14-2013 11:16 PM

There is still a lot of ball left, I'm not fretting yet. If they keep lagging for the next few weeks after the the break then I will be a little concerned. I just can't see Pittsburgh hanging with us anyway, they had a bumpy stretch there a week ago and could totally collapse in the second half. They looked great the first half last last year too and then completely nose dived. We'll be alright.

BigRedChief 07-15-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9812869)
C.) They need to step it back up if they want to win this division.

This isn't the 27 Yankees team reborn. Sure we have gaps and issues but they do have the best record in baseball. What about the other teams? Don't they need to step it up more? How many of them would want to have the best record in baseball?

VAChief 07-15-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9813018)
This isn't the 27 Yankees team reborn. Sure we have gaps and issues but they do have the best record in baseball. What about the other teams? Don't they need to step it up more? How many of them would want to have the best record in baseball?

Agreed, it used to matter more than it does now. The playoffs are a marathon of their own. What was our record at the break in 04, 05? What was it in 06, 11? That doesn't mean I don't want to win every series, but sometimes you can get a distorted view of where your team is if everything falls your way during the season.

Most likely we will get an energy boost with some of our prime call ups late August, early September. Hopefully, Mo continues to find a diamond in the rough or two that fit in nice as well.

Chief Roundup 07-15-2013 06:37 AM

This is the 6th time the Cardinals have had the best record in MLB at the All-Star break. We have went to the WS the previous 5 times.

BigRedChief 07-15-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 9813029)
Agreed, it used to matter more than it does now. The playoffs are a marathon of their own. What was our record at the break in 04, 05? What was it in 06, 11? That doesn't mean I don't want to win every series, but sometimes you can get a distorted view of where your team is if everything falls your way during the season.

Most likely we will get an energy boost with some of our prime call ups late August, early September. Hopefully, Mo continues to find a diamond in the rough or two that fit in nice as well.

The last few years has taught us that what matters most is how you are playing when you get into the playoffs.

Didn't everyone think 2004 was our year? Ran into a hotter team. Didn't everyone think we had no chance in 2006 and 2011?

Just get to the tournament and hope you get hot.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-15-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9813034)
This is the 6th time the Cardinals have had the best record in MLB at the All-Star break. We have [redacted].

LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU...LALALALALALA

Pepe Silvia 07-15-2013 06:15 PM

One game at a time gentleman, one game at a time.

Mi_chief_fan 07-15-2013 06:29 PM

@Cardinals: End of first inning: Chris Carpenter strikes out two, allows a broken bat single to left. Pitches 13, Strikes 10.

@ejbelt1: “@Cardinals: Chris Carpenter strikes out first batter on three pitches. Fastball up to 94 MPH.” Awesome news!