ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Bakers of ChiefsPlanet... show us your breads (and other baked goods)! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=337597)

Stewie 03-22-2021 01:03 PM

I've baked my own bread and other things for years. I have a bread machine but don't like the way it bakes, so I just use it for kneading. It does a stellar job.

My go to recipe is a variation of the King Arthur recipe for whole wheat bread. I also make a really good rye bread.

unlurking 03-22-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15597882)
Those are some mighty impressively even cuts on that bread. Overproofing often causes the waistline you are trying to avoid but I have no idea if that is the case or if it the low carb aspect of the bread making it do that on yours.

Any particular reason why you use a pullman tin?

Yeah, that knife came with the bread box/board. I actually use a much nicer/sharper 9.5" knife and a slicing guide that kinda/sorta doesn't suck. lol

I use the pans mostly to make it easier to portion carbs, but also because I really love the conformity. With regular pans I always ended up with a pretty significant difference in height for the middle slices vs end slices.

1st and 2nd rise are both ~45-60 minutes. That bread is actually much better than previous attempts. I converted an open pan recipe to low carb without taking into consideration the pullman holding in the steam. Taking the lid off 10 minutes before finish helped a lot. Going to experiment taking a lid off 15 minutes early as well as cooking a loaf 5 minutes longer since I cook 3 small pans at a time.

Mennonite 03-22-2021 01:54 PM

I've never had babka before but the pics look delicious.

htismaqe 03-22-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15598025)
Yeah, that knife came with the bread box/board. I actually use a much nicer/sharper 9.5" knife and a slicing guide that kinda/sorta doesn't suck. lol

I use the pans mostly to make it easier to portion carbs, but also because I really love the conformity. With regular pans I always ended up with a pretty significant difference in height for the middle slices vs end slices.

1st and 2nd rise are both ~45-60 minutes. That bread is actually much better than previous attempts. I converted an open pan recipe to low carb without taking into consideration the pullman holding in the steam. Taking the lid off 10 minutes before finish helped a lot. Going to experiment taking a lid off 15 minutes early as well as cooking a loaf 5 minutes longer since I cook 3 small pans at a time.

Really love that you're doing this. We haven't tried yet but are considering it. We've implemented low carb substitutes for a lot of starches already. Meatloaf using almond flour as a binder, for example, is wonderful.

unlurking 03-22-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15598060)
Really love that you're doing this. We haven't tried yet but are considering it. We've implemented low carb substitutes for a lot of starches already. Meatloaf using almond flour as a binder, for example, is wonderful.

I just feel so much better not eating bread, which really sucks since I love bread. I'm at the point where I've finally gotten it down enough to replace sandwich bread. Now it's just a matter of continuing to tweak.

Would love to try converting that Babka to low carb, it looks amazing!

Made some mini-baguettes for garlic bread to go with my low carb pasta that turned out pretty good.

https://i.postimg.cc/WpQmF0qx/IMG-20...-182626-01.jpg

KCUnited 03-22-2021 03:28 PM

I know nothing about baking but have always wondered about the ability to use my spent homebrew grains for a low(er) carb bread

a) would it be all that much lower in carbs?

b) would it taste good as most if not all of the sugar has been "washed" from the grains?

unlurking 03-22-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 15598218)
I know nothing about baking but have always wondered about the ability to use my spent homebrew grains for a low(er) carb bread

a) would it be all that much lower in carbs?

b) would it taste good as most if not all of the sugar has been "washed" from the grains?

I thought about that too, and while it sounds like an awesome idea, I have to imagine it loses a lot of flavor. Not to mention the amount of time spent drying it out and flouring it. If you try it, definitely go with something that has a heavier malt grain bill? I'd be curious to know your results if you try.

Mephistopheles Janx 03-26-2021 04:10 AM

With people making Seinfeld references at me about Cinnamon Babkas... I went ahead and made one. A little to much filling, perhaps. A lot of it escaped out of the bread as it baked. That said... a lot stayed in as well and it is quite tasty.

https://i.imgur.com/mlun9LP.jpg

srvy 03-26-2021 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15603903)
With people making Seinfeld references at me about Cinnamon Babkas... I went ahead and made one. A little to much filling, perhaps. A lot of it escaped out of the bread as it baked. That said... a lot stayed in as well and it is quite tasty.

Is it the lessor or greater Babka?

I have never had a Babka and I don't particularly love chocolate as I can take or leave it. I do like cinnamon bread so it would probably be the greater for me.

scho63 03-26-2021 09:10 AM

Anybody making "special" Brownies? :D

unlurking 03-26-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15603903)

This looks great. Care to share the recipe? Would love to try and make a low (well, lower) carb version.

Mephistopheles Janx 03-26-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15604087)
This looks great. Care to share the recipe? Would love to try and make a low (well, lower) carb version.

For sure! I basically modified the chocolate babka recipe to make it cinnamon instead.

Dough (including chocolate filling):
https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk...ocolate-babka/

Cinnamon filling:

225 grams of unsalted butter
200 grams of caster sugar (granulated works fine but I prefer to run it through the food processor first)
12 grams of connamon
2 grams of nutmeg
100 grams of chopped nuts

Whip together all the filling ingredients MINUS the chopped nuts. Spread on the dough evenly, then sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top... also evenly.

unlurking 03-26-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15604436)
For sure! I basically modified the chocolate babka recipe to make it cinnamon instead.

Dough (including chocolate filling):
https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk...ocolate-babka/

Cinnamon filling:

225 grams of unsalted butter
200 grams of caster sugar (granulated works fine but I prefer to run it through the food processor first)
12 grams of connamon
2 grams of nutmeg
100 grams of chopped nuts

Whip together all the filling ingredients MINUS the chopped nuts. Spread on the dough evenly, then sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top... also evenly.

Thanks! I'll see if I can test something next week! Oh, and thanks for using grams instead of cups. lolol

Been meaning to test Allulose as a sugar sub. Supposed to actually caramelize like sugar and has super small granules.

Mephistopheles Janx 10-26-2021 08:49 PM

My NY style pizza has been refined and I'm making some ****ing great pizza. Made a ham and pineapple one for the wife too but the pep looked WAY better.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hFOQMz5" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/hFOQMz5">Getting better at making NY style pizza. I live in the middle of nowhere so I have to order my Semolina online.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tredadda 10-26-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15916520)
My NY style pizza has been refined and I'm making some ****ing great pizza. Made a ham and pineapple one for the wife too but the pep looked WAY better.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hFOQMz5" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/hFOQMz5">Getting better at making NY style pizza. I live in the middle of nowhere so I have to order my Semolina online.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Won't lie, that looks amazing! Need to get the dough recipe from you. I see the ingredients, but not how to prepare the dough.