ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Austin Question (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321295)

loochy 02-13-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14104567)
We were in Dallas for the World League Texas Regional Jiu-Jitsu championships which my son was competing against. We were in Dallas for no more than 30 minutes when my son said everyone is so nice here. We were there for a few days and he even said if we ever moved this would be a good place. I have to get away from all these taxes ASAP, they are absolutely killing me.

We have no State income tax...but our property taxes are a bitch

Frosty 02-13-2019 11:51 AM

The guy I work with is ultra conservative. He had to go to Austin for a conference at the end of January. He went to Dallas first to visit some friends and really liked it. He then did his thing in Austin and hated it. Said it was a liberal shithole with a homeless problem worse than Seattle. Just thought it was funny. I take his viewpoint with a grain of salt, though.

My brother (a filthy liberal) lives in Austin and (mostly) likes it. Really hot and humid for a good chunk of the year, though. Also, it sounds really expensive, though there may not be much of a difference coming from CA in that regard.

Sassy Squatch 02-13-2019 11:55 AM

The traffic alone would keep me far away from living in the actual city. Some of the suburbs up north are quite nice, though. Cedar Park and Leander off the top of my head.

Hydrae 02-13-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14104581)
I have to get away from all this California tax. Cost of living is way less there than here. My son competes at a very high level in Judo and Jiu-Jitsu. They have what he needs at least in Jiu-Jitsu. I am sure the Judo yet but it will work most likely. I understand they have good wrestling there too. I need to have mountains, I have been in them my whole life. Individual rights and freedoms seem much more protected in Texas from guns to medical and everything in between.

I would be retiring so employment isn't really a consideration. If I decided to come out of retirement or be semi-retired it is also an ideal spot for me to land however.

Wrong place to expect to find mountains, that is for sure!

BIG_DADDY 02-13-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14104582)
We have no State income tax...but our property taxes are a bitch

I can buy a killer house out there for less than an outhouse out here. I can live with that. Sooner or later with California's spending proposition 13 is going to go away as well. Private schools out here that are good are more than college. By 2022 I want to be out of here at the latest. Hell I would move tomorrow if I could.

BIG_DADDY 02-13-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14104603)
Wrong place to expect to find mountains, that is for sure!

It may not work, I thought it was more than flat land though. Oh well I will be out there anyway.

Couch-Potato 02-13-2019 12:21 PM

EVERYONE in CA be movin to Autsin...considered it myself actually lol

chinaski 02-13-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 14104684)
EVERYONE in CA be movin to Autsin...considered it myself actually lol

The problem with Californian's is they bitch and whine about the condition of the state, how expensive it is etc, and they move and vote in the same type of morons that embrace the same policies that are screwing up California to begin with. That's stereotypical yes, but there is some truth in it.

Then there is the other portion of Californian's that are more Conservative that move because they don't feel welcome and/or are sick of the BS.

ChiefaRoo 02-13-2019 12:32 PM

North Austin is Prairie. West Austin/Bee Cave/Lakeway is Hill Country. It’s the prettiest part of the area by far.
Side note, Austin has brutal 365 day a year Allergans in the air.

loochy 02-13-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 14104593)
The guy I work with is ultra conservative. He had to go to Austin for a conference at the end of January. He went to Dallas first to visit some friends and really liked it. He then did his thing in Austin and hated it. Said it was a liberal shithole with a homeless problem worse than Seattle. Just thought it was funny. I take his viewpoint with a grain of salt, though.

My brother (a filthy liberal) lives in Austin and (mostly) likes it. Really hot and humid for a good chunk of the year, though. Also, it sounds really expensive, though there may not be much of a difference coming from CA in that regard.

I'm conservative and I think Austin is super fun and I wouldn't mind living there at all.

BIG_DADDY 02-13-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 14104715)
The problem with Californian's is they bitch and whine about the condition of the state, how expensive it is etc, and they move and vote in the same type of morons that embrace the same policies that are screwing up California to begin with. That's stereotypical yes, but there is some truth in it.

Then there is the other portion of Californian's that are more Conservative that move because they don't feel welcome and/or are sick of the BS.

This. The shakedown of businesses. The hate of capitalism. The ignorance of the majority. The never ending way to find another tax. The cost of living though is the kicker combined with that tax. I was at a party awhile back and almost everybody was looking at their options. Texas far and away was the most desired destination because there were Google employees there. This is the group that will vote D no matter what. Texas should keep them out of the state.

BIG_DADDY 02-13-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo (Post 14104718)
North Austin is Prairie. West Austin/Bee Cave/Lakeway is Hill Country. It’s the prettiest part of the area by far.
Side note, Austin has brutal 365 day a year Allergans in the air.

We don't have allergies for the most part but why is that?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-13-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14104563)
The entire area between San Antonio and Austin along I-35 is growing rapidly.

Sure is. I have friends that are moving out of Austin and into Kyle and Buda. 10 years ago, I would have never expected people to willingly move to those areas

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-13-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14104734)

Cedar allergies

loochy 02-13-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14104734)

Red Mountain Cedar. I'm allergic to it, but I live in Dallas. During the winter, the pollen from it gets blown up from strong southern winds and makes many people pretty miserable.