ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Budget Commuter Hot Rod suggestions needed. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=124879)

dtebbe 09-23-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svuba
How much will the convertible bother me on the freeway?

It seems like you can get a convertible for about the same price.

Check out this sweet 2001 GT convertible for $11G

01 GT Convertible ebay

I would stay away from the drop tops. They are heavier, not a structrally sound, and long-term don't hold up well. You also lose valuable rear seat and trunk space with them. The noise and cold winter drafts will also wear on you after a while. IMHO.

I also forgot to mention that if you plan to hot-rod the car at all, a 2001 is not the best year, because they have yet another different head that has about 1/2 point higher compresson ratio. This is good if you don't plan on a blower, turbo, or nitrous down the road, but will severely limit how much spray or boost you can run on pump gas if you ever go that direction. Most guys who buy V8 mustangs end up hot-rodding them. It's pretty hard to resist....

DT

KCJake 09-23-2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
That should turn in the 13's. Not good gas mileage.

With 430rwhp, mid 12's all day. As long as the car will hook.

Gas mileage? Generally, fast cars and good gas mileage don't belong in the same sentence.

KCJake 09-23-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe
I just bought a clean 2000 GT with 78k miles on it for $8900. I've just about got it ready for the Kenne Bell supercharger, new clutch and rear suspension is going in next week. When I get finished I will have about $16k in the car, and it should be a sub 5 sec 0-60 car. The route I'm going will put me at about 430rwhp and 476ftlb torque. The great thing about the Kenne Bell is it makes that torque right off idle, See:
DT

Sounds like you've got things figured out. Just don't go crazy with the boost level. It's so easy to do a pulley swap. Boost can be really addictive!

dtebbe 09-23-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJake

Gas mileage? Generally, fast cars and good gas mileage don't belong in the same sentence.

I'm shooting for mid-high 12's on street tires and low 12's high 11's on drag radials. I'm doing a full UPR pro-street rear suspension setup, with QA1 adjustable shocks. The only worry I have right now is that when I bought the car, it already had a 3.73 gear in it, and I think that may be a little much for a car that is going to make 350+ ftlbs at 2500 rpm.... A 3.55 would probably be much better.

I had a 93' coupe that was NA with TFS heads and most of the bolt ons, and it ran 12.90's at 125mph on hard street tires. BUT, it weighed about 500# less than this car does.

As far as gas milage, my car has a 3.73 gear and a driver who likes the sound of his exhaust more than the stereo, so I only get about 16mpg around town. But to me it's cheap entertianment....

DT

dtebbe 09-23-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you've got things figured out. Just don't go crazy with the boost level. It's so easy to do a pulley swap. Boost can be really addictive!

Yes, I'm sticking with 9psi, the kit is intercooled. The kit will do 14-17psi with no problem, but on the 4.6 the rods & pistons are really no t up to much over 450hp. I figure once the motor needs freshening I will put a cobra crank, good rods and 8.5-1 pistons in there and then put that little pulley on there :)

DT

SpitLightning 09-23-2005 10:53 PM

I have a 00 GT Modded, no boost yet, when shes ready to be rebuilt then I will add a Single 94mm Turbo.

and I do agree with you, they sound great when your going threw 2nd and 3rd gear( magnaflow catback system) its hard to keep your foot outa them as well, plus its fun to eat the Rice.

Tribesman 09-23-2005 11:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I also forgot to mention that if you plan to hot-rod the car at all, a 2001 is not the best year, because they have yet another different head that has about 1/2 point higher compresson ratio. This is good if you don't plan on a blower, turbo, or nitrous down the road, but will severely limit how much spray or boost you can run on pump gas if you ever go that direction. Most guys who buy V8 mustangs end up hot-rodding them. It's pretty hard to resist....

DT

Ah, that would explain why the 02 GT I just bought seems as though it's not as powerful as the 01 GT I use to own. Both were/are relatively stock (less a few mild bolt-ons). I still love these cars though.

KCJake 09-23-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm sticking with 9psi, the kit is intercooled. The kit will do 14-17psi with no problem, but on the 4.6 the rods & pistons are really no t up to much over 450hp. I figure once the motor needs freshening I will put a cobra crank, good rods and 8.5-1 pistons in there and then put that little pulley on there :)

DT

Gotta love that boost! I have a 02 Lightning right now. Hopefully, i'll be trading it in on a 03 Cobra real soon. :drool:

dtebbe 09-24-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribesman
Ah, that would explain why the 02 GT I just bought seems as though it's not as powerful as the 01 GT I use to own. Both were/are relatively stock (less a few mild bolt-ons). I still love these cars though.

Both of those look really nince. That LX looks really clean. I finally gave up trying to find a clean 93' car. I kick myself for selling my 93 coupe. I bought it brand new, and it was soooo clean. I checked the carfax the other day, and it's been in 4 accidents, one a total loss, and then a salvage title was issued. :deevee: A sad day!

DT

Eleazar 09-24-2005 08:42 AM

I know little about cars but It's weird to hear people talking about beefing up cars with turbos to turn under 15 when some bikes will do 10's out of the box. 0-60 in the 3's, 0-100 in 5's. You're only eating 4-wheeled rice :evil:

Skip Towne 09-24-2005 08:46 AM

Quote:

Neither do "budget" and "hot rod".

dtebbe 09-24-2005 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I know little about cars but It's weird to hear people talking about beefing up cars with turbos to turn under 15 when some bikes will do 10's out of the box. 0-60 in the 3's, 0-100 in 5's. You're only eating 4-wheeled rice :evil:

That's because we would rather not eat pavement :)

DT

StcChief 09-24-2005 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFANinNC
Maxima, and you get some nice features too.

Ther are cheap upgrade parts on eBay to squeeze out a few more ponies. It will be much more reliable than the turbos you mention.

2000-2001 Maxima 220hp 3.0L 24 hwy
~6.5 sec 0-60. Very reliable and easy mod. Comfortable for 100 mi trips.

I had a 98 Maxima now a 2002.

Darkwolfe 09-24-2005 10:18 AM

Just remeber that turbos are notoriously touchy when the miles add up. I'd personally rather stick to a non-turbo engine.

My last "sports-car" was a mildly modified 91 T-Bird. The only thing I wished for on that car was a stick shift, but you can't get that on a T-Bird unless you have something pre-1970. I ran my T-Bird to 191,000 miles before I finally sold it.

I'll get my new Mustang yet!

Tribesman 09-24-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Both of those look really nince. That LX looks really clean. I finally gave up trying to find a clean 93' car. I kick myself for selling my 93 coupe. I bought it brand new, and it was soooo clean. I checked the carfax the other day, and it's been in 4 accidents, one a total loss, and then a salvage title was issued. :deevee: A sad day!

DT

Thanks. I wasn't able to post any pics of my current ('02 mineral gray GT) one, which I like and dislike in comparison to the black '01.

Dang, that sucks about your old 93.

Yeah, trying to find a pre '94 in very good condition is a tough task. But they are dang cheap to mod.

And I have to work with myself almost everyday to not go crazy and spend an exuberant amount of dough to mod my current one. The only things I've added are: diablo chip and cold air intake kit. I'd love to be able to afford a blower but they're way out of my price range. In checking eBay, they're selling (new & used) for nearly the same or more as it would cost brand new retail! :shake: Crazy.