ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My case for a 1st-round safety...Jimmy Williams (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139713)

Rausch 04-27-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Probably not. The Chiefs aren't smart enough to make the move.

I don't think they're smart enough to quit making it...

htismaqe 04-27-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
I don't think they're smart enough to quit making it...

Probably. The only thing that would be worse than not addressing the need at safety would be drafting a safety and moving him to CB.

eazyb81 04-27-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

I could absolutely not care less about 40 times for linemen.

So you don't care about their potential to explode past offensive linemen and get in the backfield quickly? Smart outlook you have..... :rolleyes:

htismaqe 04-27-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81
So you don't care about their potential to explode past offensive linemen and get in the backfield quickly? Smart outlook you have..... :rolleyes:

The fact that you equate a 40-yard dash with their ability to explode off the line tells me you know virtually nothing about defensive linemen.

eazyb81 04-27-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

The fact that you equate a 40-yard dash with their ability to explode off the line tells me you know virtually nothing about defensive linemen.

Man, you love to insult people, it's pretty funny.

Tell me oh wise one, what would be a good indicator of how well a defensive end could explode off the line? 10 yard dash? Vertical leap? 3 cone drill? Tapp was below average in almost every one, which leads me to believe that he will not be a successful DE in a 4-3 scheme.

Do you really believe that we should base his ability to play that position in our defense purely off his college production? If so that is extremely ignorant.

htismaqe 04-27-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81
Man, you love to insult people, it's pretty funny.

Tell me oh wise one, what would be a good indicator of how well a defensive end could explode off the line? 10 yard dash? Vertical leap? 3 cone drill? Tapp was below average in almost every one, which leads me to believe that he will not be a successful DE in a 4-3 scheme.

Do you really believe that we should base his ability to play that position in our defense purely off his college production? If so that is extremely ignorant.

All of those things you mentioned would be a better indicator than 40-yard dash. Funny you didn't mention them before...

And no, I don't believe we should base his ability to play solely on his college production. Nor should we just forget about it.

Again, I'm talking about taking him FIFTY FOURTH OVERALL.

And yes, I love to insult people.

Munson 04-27-2006 11:54 AM

The Chiefs have no business taking a first round safety. They need to solidify the front seven before they do that.

htismaqe 04-27-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson
The Chiefs have no business taking a first round safety. They need to solidify the front seven before they do that.

Yeah, the picks of Sims, Freeman, Johnson, Mitchell, Fox, Downing, Allen, Hall (trade)...lord knows we should spend a few more picks on the front 7, it's worked so well.

jiveturkey 04-27-2006 12:11 PM

I think that adding speed to the secondary has to be a top priority.

Gaz 04-27-2006 12:15 PM

A dilemma, for sure...

While I understand the frustration that drives the urge, past failure is no reason to give up on improving the DL.

I am not yet ready to give up on Sims or Siavii [although I am willing to concede that I could just be mired in denial], but I cannot accept the idea that the addition of a Safety will fix our pass defense. That particular repair job must begin with the pass rush, which means the DL. Yes, we need an upgrade at Safety, but the DL is a far more critical need.

However, if you cannot abide throwing another pick at the DT position [and I cannot fault you for that], you are welcome to join me in the “Sims or Siavii will pick it up this season” bandwagon and look at drafting a DE to replace Hicks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Living on hope.

ct 04-27-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

While I understand the frustration that drives the urge, past failure is no reason to give up on improving the DL.

I am not yet ready to give up on Sims or Siavii [although I am willing to concede that I could just be mired in denial], but I cannot accept the idea that the addition of a Safety will fix our pass defense. That particular repair job must begin with the pass rush, which means the DL. Yes, we need an upgrade at Safety, but the DL is a far more critical need.

However, if you cannot abide throwing another pick at the DT position [and I cannot fault you for that], you are welcome to join me in the “Sims or Siavii will pick it up this season” bandwagon and look at drafting a DE to replace Hicks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Living on hope.

I've been aboard that wagon for awhile, but it's gettin mighty bumpy. Yet I still hold on...

Gaz 04-27-2006 12:18 PM

Good point...

Yah, speed in the secondary is a problem for the Chiefs.

xoxo~
Gaz
Almost fast enough to be a Safety for Kansas City.

Gaz 04-27-2006 12:19 PM

Ain't that the truth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coryt
I've been aboard that wagon for awhile, but it's gettin mighty bumpy. Yet I still hold on...

It is getting tough to hang on, ennit?

xoxo~
Gaz
Hanging on in quiet desperation.

ct 04-27-2006 12:29 PM

It's like a 4 year hay-rack ride. Only so long that pile of hay keeps it's cushion on yer bum. Gets pretty painful after awhile.

BigChiefFan 04-27-2006 12:30 PM

Williams is a quality player, they're some players we SHOULD take ahead of him, but not many. I agree with a pass-rush solving our woes, but Williams is considered to be a top 10 player by many, no way I'd be displeased with him. I'd prefer Manny Lawson, but Williams is a headhunter with an attitude.