ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music KQRC 98.9 the rock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=210506)

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907715)
I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

At your station, do you have "all request hours", and if you do, are you governed by what songs you can play? Example - could you play Van Halen's D.O.A. if someone called up and asked to hear it?

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907715)
I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

And just to be clear, I totally agree with what you're saying. This is just a long running personal pet peeve I have with radio stations in KC, and 98.9 in particular.

JuicesFlowing 07-17-2009 08:09 PM

I hate commercials, but it pays their bills. Thankfully there is more than one station to go to when commercials come on. What I mostly hate is the timing, especially on sports talk radio, when they "go too long" on a segment, then when they come back from commercial break, they talk for 14 seconds then have to break to commercials again. Bleh ... at least the radio doesn't play them too loud ... "HEY, BILLY MAYS HERE ....."

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:12 PM

We don't have "all-request" times, per se. I DO take requests, and as long as it fits the general motif of the station, sure I'll play it. EVERY 35-50 year old guy is familiar with DOA, and that's who I'M programming to (on my classic rock station, anyway. I have other stations with other formats for other audiences.) For the vast majority of ANY music stations audience, a major truism is "They don't know what they like, they like what they know"... So as long as a song is familiar to the target listener, hell, yeah it's playable.

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907723)
And just to be clear, I totally agree with what you're saying. This is just a long running personal pet peeve I have with radio stations in KC, and 98.9 in particular.

I hear ya. I have many friends that worked there for a long time, so I had a backstage view for a while. But you can't argue with success... Remember, it's "Show Business", not "Show Art", so the primary goal is to make as much money as possible.

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907732)
We don't have "all-request" times, per se. I DO take requests, and as long as it fits the general motif of the station, sure I'll play it. EVERY 35-50 year old guy is familiar with DOA, and that's who I'M programming to (on my classic rock station, anyway. I have other stations with other formats for other audiences.) For the vast majority of ANY music stations audience, a major truism is "They don't know what they like, they like what they know"... So as long as a song is familiar to the target listener, hell, yeah it's playable.

Cool, you're sure to hang onto some listeners that way. I can think of two stations that absolutely KILL 98.9 when it comes to programming - 89.7 The River in Omaha, and 100.1 The Buzz in Mid-Missouri. NEVER the same ol, same ol on those two.....

I should tape a week's worth of songs from 98.9 and let you listen, then you'd be as annoyed as I am, lol.

Bugeater 07-17-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907742)
Cool, you're sure to hang onto some listeners that way. I can think of two stations that absolutely KILL 98.9 when it comes to programming - 89.7 The River in Omaha, and 100.1 The Buzz in Mid-Missouri. NEVER the same ol, same ol on those two.....

I should tape a week's worth of songs from 98.9 and let you listen, then you'd be as annoyed as I am, lol.

Apparently you have never listened to The River two days in a row.

Al Bundy 07-17-2009 08:20 PM

They introduced me to Halestorm. That girl can sing and she is beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 5907757)
Apparently you have never listened to The River two days in a row.

Eh, you got me there. They certainly play a wider selection than does 98.9. I usually just hear them when I head up and back in a day for work.

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907742)

ROTFL Oh I know what they're playing... AND how often. I gotta tell ya, though, as far as rock stations go, 98,9 really is pretty good at it. They would demolish the Buzz, guaranteed, and I haven't heard the Omaha station, so I reserve jusgement... but I still bet 98,9 would win.

Demonpenz 07-17-2009 08:24 PM

do they still have the pit? That they can play commercials all day long just to have everyone change the channel once the hardest half hour of hardcore comes on.

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907768)
ROTFL Oh I know what they're playing... AND how often. I gotta tell ya, though, as far as rock stations go, 98,9 really is pretty good at it. They would demolish the Buzz, guaranteed, and I haven't heard the Omaha station, so I reserve jusgement... but I still bet 98,9 would win.

I'll yield to the expert here. Pete just struck a nerve in showing what the Rock plays earlier in the thread. They certainly are a cashcow for Entercom...

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907777)
I'll yield to the expert here. Pete just struck a nerve in showing what the Rock plays earlier in the thread. They certainly are a cashcow for Entercom...

Exactly. And that's why they won't change till they need to.

sedated 07-17-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907504)
And speaking of which, whatever happened to Jason Nivins in the evening? He was actually a pretty entertaining dude (as far as radio clowns go).

Nivins was fired.

According to J.Dare, Entercom fired all of their evening guys as a part of a major layoff - didn't matter the name, the 7pm guys all got the boot.

Bugeater 07-17-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907767)
Eh, you got me there. They certainly play a wider selection than does 98.9. I usually just hear them when I head up and back in a day for work.

They're definitely out of the mainstream as far as the type of music they play, that's for sure, but they are repetitive. I had to listen to that channel for three weeks straight when I was working on a Walgreen's a couple years ago because the goddamn electricians were blaring it every day, by the end of the third day I wanted to put a bullet in my brain.

Then again, music radio in general sucks, I usually listen to sports talk if radio is the only option.