ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Best Coach Ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240122)

Rain Man 01-10-2011 11:49 PM

the proper question would decide the second-best coach after lombardi.

what was belichick's deal in cleveland? he got run out of town. does that decrease his score or does it make cleveland look bad?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man 01-10-2011 11:53 PM

top five:

lombardi
paul brown
noll
landry
parcells

good argument on gibbs, though. I wouldn't have thought of him.

belichick might be top ten but you can't overlook the videos and cleveland.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rams Fan 01-10-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7345572)
top five:

lombardi
paul brown
noll
landry
parcells

good argument on gibbs, though. I wouldn't have thought of him.

belichick might be top ten but you can't overlook the videos and cleveland.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can live with this list.

pr_capone 01-10-2011 11:55 PM

Best coach ever is not even on the list.

Doc Louis

http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/d...ouis_55361.jpg

LiveSteam 01-11-2011 12:14 AM

Bob Devaney :p
TOM Osborne :p
Frank Solich :p
Bill Callahan :p
MR.Spit & drool :p

Dave Lane 01-11-2011 12:27 AM

I'd like to know whos better.

Dave Lane 01-11-2011 12:29 AM

And Rainsmans list is nice but no dice.

Rasputin 01-11-2011 12:41 AM

Marv Levy went to four strait Super Bowls, lost them all. No he shouldn't be on the list of greatest, but that is still something that would be hard to match. Just saying wide right & that's what cost him a legacy. The Bills changed offensive football that decade. I just want to bring up his name for the hell of it. :p

LiveSteam 01-11-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool han Luke (Post 7345677)
Marv Levy went to four strait Super Bowls, lost them all. No he shouldn't be on the list of greatest, but that is still something that would be hard to match. Just saying wide right & that's what cost him a legacy. The Bills changed offensive football that decade. I just want to bring up his name for the hell of it. :p

Its a good point. Jim Kelly was awesome Andrea Reed wasn't bad either.
but I hated them

cdcox 01-11-2011 02:32 AM

Paul Brown - invented the modern NFL. All coaching trees go back to him.
Vince Lombardi - perfected it
Bill Walsh - a brain so big it made his forehead protrude
Bill Bellichick - reinvented the dynasty when no one said it could be done (or a dirty version of VL).
Chuck Noll - his last 12 years of coaching tarnished his reputation. Few innovations. No significant coaching tree, other than Dungee. He drafted great from 1970 to 1975, then drove the franchise into the ground. If he was a great talent evaluator, how did he manage to drive that team into the ground? Still, 4 rings gives him the #5 slot.

Honorable mentions:

Don (the penguin) Shula
Tom Landry
Joe Gibbs
Sid Gillman

Phobia 01-11-2011 03:03 AM

I voted yes. People keep pointing fingers at every other person who has gone through the doors in Foxboro as the mastermind behind BB and when they leave, go elswhere, and attempt to recreate the magic; they fail miserably. Meanwhile Bill keeps pumping out wins and trophies with sometimes average talent which excels in his system. I'm not even convinced Tom Brady is the greatest or top 10 or top 50 without Belichick. So, there ya have it. The dude is pretty amazing. I haven't always been convinced but I am now.

If Lombardi was so amazing explain the Redskins.

CoMoChief 01-11-2011 03:33 AM

I don't think Lombardi would win (as much) in today's game. The game has changed time and time over again. I think you gotta look at it by certain era's.

In this era, Belichick is the best coach.

60's - Packers (Lombardi/Starr)
70's - Steelers (Noll/Bradshaw)
80's - 49ers (Walsh/Montana)
90's - Cowboys (Johnson/Aikman)
00's - Patriots (Belichick/Brady)

It's already been posted, but one thing's for sure. Each great coach and dynasty in their respected era's has had a great QB leading their squads. That helps A LOT.

Fritz88 01-11-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7345458)
The question is just how much Belichick could do if he didn't have a superstar quarterback to lean on.

Go 11-5 and miss the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCJohnny 01-11-2011 06:50 AM

Vince Lombardi, Chuck Knoll, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, George Halas might be better. Its not all about your generation, kids.

JD10367 01-11-2011 06:54 AM

You know, even though I'm a Patriots fan I was immediately going to click on "No". Like the rest of you, I thought of Noll, Shula, Lombardi, Walsh, and the others, and thought, "Belichick might be equal to them and in their group, but I can't say he's better than them".

Then I thought about it. None of those guys had to operate in a world where their players make millions of dollars of Monopoly money. None of those guys had to operate in a world with a million social distractions (from Twitter to easy access to drugs and guns) AND be so publicly accountable for it (as, nowadays, if your player farts in church it's on Facebook in two minutes). Last, but most importantly, none of those guys had to operate in the era of parity and the salary cap. Guys like Noll and Shula could hang onto good players as long as they wanted to. Look at how many times Belichick has rebuilt his roster in the 11-year span he's been in New England. By the 2004 Super Bowl, most of the guys from the 2001 Super Bowl were gone; by the 2007 Super Bowl, most of the guys from the 2004 Super Bowl were gone; by this year, if they make the Super Bowl, most of the guys from the 2007 Super Bowl are gone. Yes, he's had the luxury of the constant presence of one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game; so has Indianapolis, though, and they haven't done nearly as well. Look at teams like the Eagles and Chargers, who've also had solid QBing and very good teams in this stretch, yet haven't done enough with them. Despite the 16-0 record in '07, I think Belichick's best coaching job has been this year, and second-best might be the 2008 year where they went 11-5 with Cassel at QB and missed the playoffs. Like Brady and Manning at their positions, Belichick is so good at coaching that he makes it look too easy and thus doesn't get enough credit.