ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Anyone on the board ever rebuilt a transmission? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262971)

TLO 08-29-2012 11:16 AM

Mini tranny. ROFL

Ace Gunner 08-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8861751)
I'd never do it.

Too many parts.

yep.

Ace Gunner 08-29-2012 11:32 AM

Also, the cheapest way to handle this is to pull the tranny yourself and exchange it with a rebuilt done by somebody who does that shit all the time. Half the cost is averted. But, you will find pulling a tranny on a FWD means a whole lot different thing than just pulling a tranny.

El Jefe 08-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861700)
Wondering if anyone has ever attempted this? I know it is fairly complex to do. I like doing things just for the learning experience some times. Is this something a normal guy can complete? Or is there just way too much involved with attempting this?

If you were wondering why I am asking I have a guy with a Mini Cooper S that apparently the transmission is going out on it. I was considering giving it a go.

There are over 2k parts in some transmissions. Yes I have rebuilt transmissions with my dad guiding me. Even with a chiltons guide I wouldn't do it myself. We usually get 1-2 transmissions a week from repair shops who have tried to build the transmissions themselves. I will say this, if you have the time, money, resources and ability you could do anything.

We had a guy this week who brought in an E40D transmission. He took it out of the van himself, he stripped it down, and he bought all the parts. He didn't skimp on anything, he bought good parts and bought everything he needed. He rebuilt it himself, he drove it and it quit shifting. He had installed 2 small pieces incorrectly, the amount of metal material inside of the transmission was extensive. It had embedded into the clutches, the band, into the drum, it covered the bottom of the solenoids. He essentially grenaded his transmission. Also you can't return those parts, they won't warranty them being that they failed from improper installation, and yes they can prove that.

listopencil 08-29-2012 11:34 AM

I would start to do it, bang my knuckles on stuff, get really pissed, go drink some beer, get it towed to a shop to be fixed, hope I hadn't ****ed anything up worse than it was.

Chief Gump 08-29-2012 11:35 AM

It is an automatic transmission. The rebuild kit looks like it costs about $250. Looks like most of you are saying don't even try it. Has anyone actually done an automatic and succeeded?

Posted that before seeing El Jefe's post.

El Jefe 08-29-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861975)
It is an automatic transmission. The rebuild kit looks like it costs about $250. Looks like most of you are saying don't even try it. Has anyone actually done an automatic and succeeded?

Yes, I have built quite a few and succeeded on many. I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I have also pulled transmissions out of Mini's before, PITA. What year is it, I can give you an idea time wise what you would be looking at.

Chief Gump 08-29-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 8861980)
Yes, I have built quite a few and succeeded on many. I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I have also pulled transmissions out of Mini's before, PITA. What year is it, I can give you an idea time wise what you would be looking at.

It is a 2005 mini cooper s.

El Jefe 08-29-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861996)
It is a 2005 mini cooper s.

Mitchell OnDemand 5 calls for 15.3 hours to remove and reinstall the transmission, including R&I of motor. We have found ways to bypass the R&I of the motor, but it's tricky.

Extra Point 08-29-2012 12:10 PM

Multiply shop hours X 4. Prepared to rebuild it twice, using a friend's auto shop, ATSG manual, and be prepared to make/borrow tools, on top of your own stuff. Don't forget the $4000 Auto scanner. Good luck.

HemiEd 08-29-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8861745)
el jefe does it every day.

i work on cars and fix just about anything and everything.

but **** rebuilding a transmission.

This, there are people that do that stuff.

I have stood there and watched a few times while the tranny guy was rebuilding one for me.

I have replaced parts in a four speed a few times, but **** that also.

Go get yourself a "known good" tranny, used or rebuilt and R and R it.

Chief Gump 08-29-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 8862072)
Mitchell OnDemand 5 calls for 15.3 hours to remove and reinstall the transmission, including R&I of motor. We have found ways to bypass the R&I of the motor, but it's tricky.

What exactly is this? Pulling the motor?

vailpass 08-29-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 8861967)
There are over 2k parts in some transmissions. Yes I have rebuilt transmissions with my dad guiding me. Even with a chiltons guide I wouldn't do it myself. We usually get 1-2 transmissions a week from repair shops who have tried to build the transmissions themselves. I will say this, if you have the time, money, resources and ability you could do anything.

We had a guy this week who brought in an E40D transmission. He took it out of the van himself, he stripped it down, and he bought all the parts. He didn't skimp on anything, he bought good parts and bought everything he needed. He rebuilt it himself, he drove it and it quit shifting. He had installed 2 small pieces incorrectly, the amount of metal material inside of the transmission was extensive. It had embedded into the clutches, the band, into the drum, it covered the bottom of the solenoids. He essentially grenaded his transmission. Also you can't return those parts, they won't warranty them being that they failed from improper installation, and yes they can prove that.

That could inspire a guy to invent new cuss words

Dartgod 08-29-2012 12:23 PM

I rebuilt a GM THM350 many years ago and it worked fine.

No way would I attempt something like that now, especially on a modern transmission.

El Jefe 08-29-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8862097)
What exactly is this? Pulling the motor?

Indeed.