ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Small, possibly misguided, rant... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268845)

Demonpenz 01-13-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9314621)
Every other player on the field is expected to hear it, and react accordingly or be penalized. Are kickers just more inherently hard of hearing?

I dunno I've seen QB's launch the ball or spike it down when there is a whistle.

milkman 01-13-2013 03:34 PM

Dumbass!

Oh wait.

That was just a reactionary insult.

Carry on.

Seriously, though, I agree, Sully.

Sully 01-13-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9314631)
It did look like that. Maybe he was just pissed that it took the ref as long as it did to call the timeout, letting Bryant go through with the attempt and miss the first one?

Could be.

Sully 01-13-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9314636)
Note that the other examples you mention in the OP aren't reacting to a whistle - they're reacting to a visual cue on the field. Also note that there are many times when players keep going for 5-10 seconds after a whistle has blown because they can't hear it.

On the icing the kicker calls, 19 players stop, 8-11 of which are either launching themselves into a wedge or sprinting off blocks to get around the edge.
I'm ok with my argument ring a dumb one, but the "he can't hear" isn't why it is.

Bugeater 01-13-2013 03:36 PM

Sounds like a good reason for coaches to stop taking these stupid "icing" timeouts.

Sully 01-13-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9314642)
Dumbass!

Oh wait.

That was just a reactionary insult.

Carry on.

Seriously, though, I agree, Sully.

I may never post again, pull a Costanza, and leave on this high note.

I'm out!!!

DaFace 01-13-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9314655)
On the icing the kicker calls, 19 players stop, 8-11 of which are either launching themselves into a wedge or sprinting off blocks to get around the edge.
I'm ok with my argument ring a dumb one, but the "he can't hear" isn't why it is.

Well, if your response to criticism of your point is "nuh uh," then I guess there's not much to debate here.

Sully 01-13-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9314657)
Sounds like a good reason for coaches to stop taking these stupid "icing" timeouts.

Yes.
Option A) no time out, team must run off and on all the correct players, and execute a kick under the adrenaline and pressure of a play clock and drive.
Option B) call time out. Team gets to make sure personnel is correct, take a breath, and practice the kick.

Odds in today's NFL of the kicker missing are small in either case, but I feel like there is more room for error in option a.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 03:40 PM

Now here's a brilliant idea:

Why didn't the Seahawks use the 'ice' rule to their advantage? Run your kicker out there and instruct your center to hold the ball until he hears the play whistled dead. As soon as your kick team gets lined up and set, call a timeout.

Your center snaps it immediately and your kicker gets his 'practice' kick to see if he had the leg to pull off a 65 yarder.

What would prevent it?

Sully 01-13-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9314670)
Well, if your response to criticism of your point is "nuh uh," then I guess there's not much to debate here.

It really wasn't. I cited evidence of it being bad logic (19 other players hear the whistle), and THEN said, "nuh uh."

cdcox 01-13-2013 03:43 PM

So in addition to concentrating on making a game winning FG, thinking about ball placement, field conditions, and the wind, the kicker should have to be carefully listen for an impending whistle amongst all the crowd noise to prevent getting a penalty that will take him out of FG range?

Sully 01-13-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9314680)

Why didn't the Seahawks use the 'ice' rule to their advantage? Run your kicker out there and instruct your center to hold the ball until he hears the play whistled dead. As soon as your kick team gets lined up and set, call a timeout.

Your center snaps it immediately and your kicker gets his 'practice' kick to see if he had the leg to pull off a 65 yarder.

What would prevent it?

Wow
That's a pretty good idea. I may pocket that for my own coaching endeavors.

KChiefer 01-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

What would prevent it?

:hmmm:

milkman 01-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

What would prevent it?

If the Seahawks had a timout left, it would be better to hit a pass 20 yards across the middle, and immediately take the timeout to set up for the FG attempt.

milkman 01-13-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9314706)
So in addition to concentrating on making a game winning FG, thinking about ball placement, field conditions, and the wind, the kicker should have to be carefully listen for an impending whistle amongst all the crowd noise to prevent getting a penalty that will take him out of FG range?

The holder could pull the ball.