ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Invisible Man Banned (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276542)

Rasputin 09-28-2013 09:54 AM

And yet Elvis could girate his pelvis and form Rock and Roll that generation created it.

Rausch 09-28-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10006580)
Invisible Man Banned: Ralph Ellison's Landmark Novel Banned From School Libraries

A lack of "literary value" has apparently left Ralph Ellison's landmark 1952 novel, Invisible Man banned from school libraries in Randolph County, N.C., the Asheboro Courier-Tribune reports.

Ok, fair enough.

But only if people with a bachelors in lit or english get to decide that.

AustinChief 09-28-2013 02:58 PM

I disagree 1000% with banning books of any kind. That said, Invisible Man was a crap book. No "literary value" is pretty much my opinion on it as well. I distinctly remember the first time I read it (high school AP English) and thinking "How in HELL did this piece of crap make it on the list" because it was so blatantly inferior to everything else we were reading at the time.

So obviously I'm not a fan but banning books(even the crappy ones) is NEVER a good idea.

Dante84 09-28-2013 03:20 PM

Im sure it was the sexual themes that upset the (probably white) woman in North Carolina, and not the "uppity-ness" of the narrator.

Discuss Thrower 09-28-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10026864)
I disagree 1000% with banning books of any kind. That said, Invisible Man was a crap book. No "literary value" is pretty much my opinion on it as well. I distinctly remember the first time I read it (high school AP English) and thinking "How in HELL did this piece of crap make it on the list" because it was so blatantly inferior to everything else we were reading at the time.

So obviously I'm not a fan but banning books(even the crappy ones) is NEVER a good idea.

It showed the short comings of Communist Party USA from a black person's POV... Showed the social relationship between blacks and whites a la "the white man's burden" and interracial sexual tension as seen with the Narrator and the Trustee Norton at the brothel...

NewChief 09-28-2013 04:13 PM

I remember my first encounter with the book. I was sorely disappointed that it wasn't THE invisible man. Like the one who turns invisible.

whoman69 09-28-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10026548)
Ok, fair enough.

But only if people with a bachelors in lit or english get to decide that.

I have one but have to admit I have never read the book.

Loneiguana 09-29-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10026918)
It showed the short comings of Communist Party USA from a black person's POV... Showed the social relationship between blacks and whites a la "the white man's burden" and interracial sexual tension as seen with the Narrator and the Trustee Norton at the brothel...

He attacked every single black leader in that book. And then he attacked everyone else.

The beauty of the book to me was how the narrator learns how to stop letting people define who you are, but to just be yourself.

Who cares if I like yams. Who cares what they say if they see me eat yams. I like yams so I will eat them.

Discuss Thrower 09-29-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 10032031)
He attacked every single black leader in that book. And then he attacked everyone else.

The beauty of the book to me was how the narrator learns how to stop letting people define who you are, but to just be yourself.

Who cares if I like yams. Who cares what they say if they see me eat yams. I like yams so I will eat them.

Optic White paint.. Monopolitated Power and Light... A basement with a shit ton of light bulbs.

ChiefsFanatic 09-30-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10026904)
Im sure it was the sexual themes that upset the (probably white) woman in North Carolina, and not the "uppity-ness" of the narrator.

You give people in North Carolina too much credit.

TimeForWasp 09-30-2013 10:20 AM

I'm sure this will backfire big time. Every student in that school will read the book now, even if they would never read a book on their own normally.

cabletech94 10-01-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10026999)
I remember my first encounter with the book. I was sorely disappointed that it wasn't THE invisible man. Like the one who turns invisible.

ROFL

i just now realized this. mind blown.

g'night, everybody!!!!!!!