ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop The Oxford Comma (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284434)

alnorth 06-17-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10697787)
No, because I was taught it was not needed. Never knew there was a controversy over it. Tho' I'd seen it used, I just thought it was error.

Between this and some posts between Austin and Loneiguana, are we gonna name this place Grammar Planet now?

There's actually not a clear winner on this, its pretty split down the middle right now. It is punctuation's version of the Betamax vs VCR war.

In American English, the Oxford comma is deemed to be correct and used in most style guides except for AP. Since AP is such a huge deal over here, we still often see the extra comma omitted.

In British English, the Oxford comma is considered to be wrong and not used very much except in the Oxford style where the name comes from.

Third Eye 06-17-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10697769)
Never got called on it in 6 years of school..

Yeah, I have multiple degrees and was never dinged for it either, but a writer friend of mine gave me no end of grief after seeing me use it.

Fish 06-17-2014 12:08 PM

The 2-space rule exists to prevent your sentences from running together like a couple drunk assholes....

It's incredibly annoying that the forum auto removes extra spaces.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10697786)
The 2-space rule only exists because of typewriters, not because it makes any kind of grammatical sense. It is not necessary in the age of modern word processors that can handle kerning.

Wow! Awesome you know what kerning is. I don't see that very often in people outside my profession.

You got it exactly right. It's only needed on typewriters because the spacing is mechanical and even. So the extra space is needed to be noticed as a stop. Not so, when the spaces between letters are optically spaced. The space can be seen. Yes optically, not mechanically. It's an art form. Scientists tend to be too mechanical. However, I do find it interesting that Steve Jobs took calligraphy in college and when he designed the Mac, their appearance of their fonts were so much better to look at.

Kerning is the removal of spaces between letters. Letterspacing is the addition of space between letters for a very wide set...but usually done as an design device.

I taught typography for a while in 2006-07. There's a book called The Mac is Not a Typewriter that applies just as much to anyone typing on a PC. There's other things like no space after a comma and a few others.

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10697786)
The 2-space rule only exists because of typewriters, not because it makes any kind of grammatical sense. It is not necessary in the age of modern word processors that can handle kerning.

I know the history, but thanks.

DaFace 06-17-2014 12:09 PM

It seems odd to me not to use it to me, though I know some places say not to. Commas generally indicate pauses when read aloud, and I generally say:

red (pause) white (pause) and blue

rather than

red (pause) white and blue

DaFace 06-17-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10697802)
The 2-space rule exists to prevent your sentences from running together like a couple drunk assholes....

It's not the forum - it's all HTML.

Dayze 06-17-2014 12:10 PM

I didn't, even know, such a thing, existed.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10697802)

Only on a typewriter. When space is removed between letters, once impossible on a typewriter, it becomes unnecessary. The resultant space is enough without two.

I suspect, you don't use any kerning when you type something? If so, you use your desktop publishing like a typewriter. That's out moded.

Layout programs have this available so you can remove excessive spaces, which actually harms readability. Such things have actually been tested, as well as other typographical settings. Ad runs have even been split, showing that it deters reading of ads poorly set and other factors...as to where placed on the ad.

alnorth 06-17-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697804)
I know the history, but thanks.

From there, I guess its a matter of preference. Since it is not necessary and never would have existed without typewriters, I don't like it.

To you it may look like sentences are smashed together because you are used to the extra space, but to me when I read a document typed out by someone who uses 2 spaces, the extra space just sticks out obviously to me as a wrong thing created from spastically slapping the space bar too many times.

cdcox 06-17-2014 12:12 PM

A comma denotes a pause. The pause after Denver is the same length as the pause after Oakland; therefore, the comma belongs.

Also consider the following:

The regular characters on Gilligan's Island were: Gilligan, the Skipper, the Professor, Ginger, Mary Anne, and Mr. and Mrs Howell.

versus

The regular characters on Gilligan's Island were: Gilligan, the Skipper, the Professor, Ginger, Mary Anne and Mr. and Mrs Howell.

The Oxford comma clearly signifies that the first "and" in the sentence completes the list. When one encounters the second "and" one is already given a hint that the last item in the group is a plural item (Mr. and Mrs. Howell). Without the Oxford comma, one must read the sentence to the end and then parse out how things are grouped. The Oxford comma improves readability and therefore it is wrong to exclude it.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697777)
Two spaces is not wrong. That's just typographers being assholes.

Mmmmm not really. The "being assholes" part that is.

alnorth 06-17-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10697806)
It seems odd to me not to use it to me, though I know some places say not to. Commas generally indicate pauses when read aloud, and I generally say:

red (pause) white (pause) and blue

rather than

red (pause) white and blue

Thats probably the strongest reason why the oxford comma refuses to die and has actually gained acceptance in America despite efforts to kill it.

It mimics the cadence of the words when they are spoken. Everyone pauses before the "and", so it feels right to have a comma there.

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10697819)
From there, I guess its a matter of preference. Since it is not necessary and never would have existed without typewriters, I don't like it.

To you it may look like sentences are smashed together because you are used to the extra space, but to me when I read a document typed out by someone who uses 2 spaces, the extra space just sticks out obviously to me as a wrong thing created from spastically slapping the space bar too many times.

Yes, to people who like to know where sentences end, that second space is a blessing, as it reinforces the punctuation mark ending the sentence. To people who read like shit anyway, and do it basically just to get through what they're reading, comprehension be damned, it doesn't matter as much.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10697819)

Yeah, it leaves this ugly gap. If you squint at the page you see a winding river of space running down the page that is ugly.