ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc States and bias (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290642)

Sully 02-15-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11328198)
A couple of posts in my well thought, well planned, awesome ice cream thread got me thinking.

Each state has stuff for which they are famous. It could be a city. It could be a food. It could be anything. And most of the time, the residents of this state make that place/food/thing out to be better than it is in reality.

So, what are some things in your state/city that everybody clamors over that you just don't share the love for?

Or what are some things you've traveled to other states for because of how famous it was, and were thoroughly disappointed?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud Texan, and Whataburger is ****ing average at best.

And to all you Whataburger defenders out there: Don't come in here telling me that I'm just going to the wrong one. I grew up in the state, and I've eaten at like seven of them. I couldn't have randomly ended up at the seven worst Whataburgers in the state. The other excuse I always hear is that you have to eat it when you're drunk, because that's when it's best. **** that. You know why you say that? Because all greasy food is good while you're drunk. Whataburger is average. Get over it.

Whataburger burgers are meh.
Same thing for Five Guys (and their fries aren't the greatest thing in the world, either).

That said, Whataburger taquitos for breakfast were the only redeeming thing about living in Texas. I mean the only thing.

lewdog 02-15-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 11328204)
Most Mexican food here in AZ is garbage.

Definitely this!

TimBone 02-15-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11328270)
What a burger burgers are meh.
Same thing for Five Guys (and their fries aren't the greatest thing in the world, either).

That saod, What a burger taquitos for breakfast were the only redeeming thing about living in Texas. I mean the only thing.

Did you not try Blue Bell?

Also, Whataburger does have a honey chicken breakfast biscuit that I have enjoyed. Never had the taquitos.

-King- 02-15-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11328200)
I also wanted to share a story about Louisiana:

I work and live in Louisiana. I had no idea how proud of their state some of these people were until I moved here. There was one young guy in particular that sticks out. He came to train in our control tower a couple of years ago. You could barely carry a conversation in the room without him somehow relating the topic of conversation to Louisiana and how great it is. "The swamps are prettier than mountains. The Crawfish are tastier than lobster. New Orleans is the best city in the world." Shit like that. He would spout this kind of stuff non stop. It grew to be very irritating, very quickly.

His last month here, a group of us were having a conversation in the tower about soda. I mentioned cream soda, and he immediately lit up. "Hey Tim, you want to try a great cream soda? You've got to try Big Shot Cream Soda. Straight out of New Orleans. Best cream soda in the world!" Well, I had finally had enough. After months of hearing this kids bias drivel, I finally blew up. I looked at him and loudly said, "Shut the **** up, dude. I'm tired of hearing this shit. Something being from Louisiana doesn't make it any better than something from anywhere else. In fact, most of the shit here ****ing sucks. This whole state pretty much ****ing sucks." He looked a little hurt, but shrugged it off. We all continued our conversation, and about a month later the dude was gone.

A week after he left, I happened upon a Big Shot Cream Soda in a local convenience store.

It was the best ****ing cream soda I have ever tasted.

ROFLROFLROFL

Sully 02-15-2015 08:11 PM

And I'll fight to the death to defend Boulevard beer. Pale Ale and Irish Ale are the best.

TimBone 02-15-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11328253)
ROFL You're in my current top 5.

That's 100% true, too. I usually don't explode on folks, but I had seriously heard enough from that dude.

I did find it amusing how much I enjoyed the soda, though. Even if he had still been with us, I never would have told him.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11328277)
And I'll fight to the death to defend Boulevard beer. Pale Ale and Irish Ale are the best.

Irish Ale FTMFW!

Sully 02-15-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11328282)
Irish Ale FTMFW!

Here's the problem I have with it, and it's all on me. I buy some, and never drink it, because I want to save it since it's seasonal. It always ends up sitting in a garage somewhere ruining.

I popped one a few weeks back, and I swear it'd been several years since I'd had one. I would have accepted death right then and there, if it had come mid-sip.

TrebMaxx 02-15-2015 08:17 PM

Here in CoMo I would have to say Shakespeare's Pizza. It's not terrible but there are better pizza shops in town.

Bearcat 02-15-2015 08:22 PM

Chocolate Ale, game managing QBs.

Discuss Thrower 02-15-2015 08:22 PM

Mother's beer sucks outside of their seasonal coffee stout.

Mexican Villa is god the **** awful.

TimBone 02-15-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11328301)
Chocolate Ale, game managing QBs.

Oh, the Chocolate Ale is a good one. I remember the hype last year, and had to get a bottle. Mikeyis4dcats was nice enough to send me one. It was very average.

Bearcat 02-15-2015 08:29 PM

Not a state, of course, but Thai boxing... supposed to be really popular and was highly recommended, but there were maybe 15 people there and it was pretty damn boring.

-King- 02-15-2015 08:31 PM

Philly cheese steaks in Philly are overrated.

In n Out is good but overrated also. And their fries are trash.

srvy 02-15-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11328261)
I ate at a Whataburger in Norman, OK in 1994 and thought it was fantastic. Never been to one since.

Double jalapeno and cheese is to die for.