ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mahomes vs Mayfield (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315197)

Willie Lanier 05-01-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13542746)
Mayfield is throwing to wide-open guys while Mahomes' targets tend to have guys draped all over them.

Yeah, and add to the argument Mahomes basically had that albatross of a defense that he had to carry...

At this point it's redundant

CoMoChief 05-02-2018 01:44 AM

2:29min mark where Mahomes launches a 52yd bomb off of his back foot with a DT right up his ass is a BEAUTIFUL pass. Dropped it right in the bread basket of his WR.

That would have been a 40yd duck >> interception had that been Alex Smith throwing the ball. And really the more I think about it, Smith is too conservative to even think about making that pass, probably holds onto the ball too long, gives up and takes the sack.

The major difference between Mahomes and Smith will be no more of the 4-5yd dump offs and passes into the flats on 3rd n long. Mahomes is competitive, comes from a pass happy scoring offense at TTU, the guy wants to put his arm to test and wants to score each time he goes out there. Alex Smith just wants to put the team in positions to win, and that's fine, in large part it worked. But there are those QB who elevate those around them. With Smith, it was the other way around.

Mahomes has the luxury of having some pretty darn good weapons across the board. Still pissed KC didn't draft Christian Kirk, would've made the perfect slot guy. But Hill/Watkins/Kelce/Hunt, and with Conley coming back, is def nothing to complain about. Hopefully if Conley gets back 100% healthy he can better contribute w/ Mahomes giving him the ball. But I also think the Chiefs overpaid for Watkins perhaps because they desperately needed a #2WR and maybe don't think Conley will be back to pre-inj form? Either way more weapons the better.

Nickhead 05-02-2018 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13542837)
2:29min mark where Mahomes launches a 52yd bomb off of his back foot with a DT right up his ass is a BEAUTIFUL pass. Dropped it right in the bread basket of his WR.

That would have been a 40yd duck >> interception had that been Alex Smith throwing the ball. And really the more I think about it, Smith is too conservative to even think about making that pass, probably holds onto the ball too long, gives up and takes the sack.

The major difference between Mahomes and Smith will be no more of the 4-5yd dump offs and passes into the flats on 3rd n long. Mahomes is competitive, comes from a pass happy scoring offense at TTU, the guy wants to put his arm to test and wants to score each time he goes out there. Alex Smith just wants to put the team in positions to win, and that's fine, in large part it worked. But there are those QB who elevate those around them. With Smith, it was the other way around.

Mahomes has the luxury of having some pretty darn good weapons across the board. Still pissed KC didn't draft Christian Kirk, would've made the perfect slot guy. But Hill/Watkins/Kelce/Hunt, and with Conley coming back, is def nothing to complain about. Hopefully if Conley gets back 100% healthy he can better contribute w/ Mahomes giving him the ball. But I also think the Chiefs overpaid for Watkins perhaps because they desperately needed a #2WR and maybe don't think Conley will be back to pre-inj form? Either way more weapons the better.

who is this smith person you speak of? what position does he play? :D

Trivers 05-02-2018 04:52 AM

That was a great game to watch.

I remember, as a OU fan, that OU was a better team....BUT Mahomes kept TT in the game.

Never felt assured of the win until the clock read 00:00.

Nickhead 05-02-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 13542847)
That was a great game to watch.

I remember, as a OU fan, that OU was a better team....BUT Mahomes kept TT in the game.

Never felt assured of the win until the clock read 00:00.

you are not wrong in this assessment as i watched this game for the first time recently. it was actually a quite boring game the first half. was thinking to myself that 'is this the game everyone kept talking about?' but man, the second half...

:thumb:

RealSNR 05-02-2018 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 13542524)
I think Dorsey should’ve gone with Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4, and traded back into the late first for Lamar Jackson. I’d take those 3 over Ward and Mayfield any day.

Cleveland has chosen that strategy the past many years. Who knows, it may amount to some good now that they've added a team with some halfway decent pieces to work with like Miles Garrett, but as far as passing on all the QBs like they did last year, that was simply not in the cards for Dorsey.

Dunerdr 05-02-2018 06:22 AM

Mahomes is more talented but they're one in the same as far as sheer will to win goes. I'm a non OU fan in the sooner state, and as badly as I don't want to admit it mayfields a baller. He definately had more talent on the field around him in this game though.

TEX 05-02-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 13542754)
Mahomes will ****ing pwn his ass!!!

Yep. Just like he did when they both were at Texas Tech.

Iczer 05-02-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 13542879)
Mahomes is more talented but they're one in the same as far as sheer will to win goes. I'm a non OU fan in the sooner state, and as badly as I don't want to admit it mayfields a baller. He definately had more talent on the field around him in this game though.

That's the thing that stuck out to me. All the times Mayfield had a clean pocket to throw to and shit Mixon had 263 rushing hards.

Then look at Mahomes, most of the time I saw his OL break down quickly. Plus Mahomes led his team in rushing too lol.

Mahomes single handily kept that game close, its crazy.

InChiefsHeaven 05-02-2018 09:40 AM

Jesus there was some awful defense in that game though...I mean like, "**** I hate this team if I were a fan" bad...

St. Patty's Fire 05-02-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 13542754)
Mahomes will ****ing pwn his ass!!!

I totally egregious, popo

Luke Atamadong 05-02-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iczer (Post 13542886)
That's the thing that stuck out to me. All the times Mayfield had a clean pocket to throw to and shit Mixon had 263 rushing hards.

Then look at Mahomes, most of the time I saw his OL break down quickly. Plus Mahomes led his team in rushing too lol.

Mahomes single handily kept that game close, its crazy.

I can''t believe this guy is on OUR team. Still seems surreal.

vailpass 05-02-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

I think Dorsey should’ve gone with Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4, and traded back into the late first for Lamar Jackson. I’d take those 3 over Ward and Mayfield any day.

LMAO

staylor26 05-02-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13543132)
LMAO

I’d take Lamar Jackson over Case ****ing Keenum

Naptown Chief 05-02-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

I actually said something similar in the draft thread before the draft started. I'd like to have seen Cleveland trade #1 to the Pats(who did want Mayfield) for their 2 firsts and 2 seconds. Trade 4 to Buffalo for their two firsts and I think they had 2 seconds...

They'd have had 4 1st round picks, 7 second round picks, and what, 2-3 3rd round picks? They could have built damn near an entire roster in one off-season. Then again, I'm not a GM and I may have proposed the worst take all year.