ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Babb: In tragedies’ wake, Reid and the Chiefs found success through second chances (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320602)

Skyy God 01-19-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14051746)
I'll probably get thumbed-down to oblivion, but I don't see this as a terribly positive portrayal of Reid. It's nice that he's been able to find a little more balance in his life, but his children and grandchildren are not going to care about how many Super Bowls he won or didn't. He has an addictive personality and it was passed on to his children. Our culture prizes workaholics, but it really shouldn't. Mike Holmgren was right. When he reflects back upon his life, I hope he doesn't wish that he had more time to break down film, but more time to spend with his children.

It’s a indictment of pro football that the only successes (and many of the failures) are family-abandoning, tape-eating maniacs.

Kinda tempers the enjoyment of the sport, like CTE.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-19-2019 08:51 AM

Anyone who works that hard is GOING to get his. Andy will get that ring. And then Mahomes will convince him to go for another. Then another. Then another.

There is NO reason under God that those two can't retire B/B and take every one of their records in the process.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-19-2019 08:57 AM

Meh, it's a short season. These guys get PLENTY of time off between the OTA's and camp. And I would wager that after that much family time, most of them are pretty much dying to get back to work.
People who are driven to work generally don't enjoy more than one week off at a time. I know I don't.

Why Not? 01-19-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

I'll probably get thumbed-down to oblivion, but I don't see this as a terribly positive portrayal of Reid. It's nice that he's been able to find a little more balance in his life, but his children and grandchildren are not going to care about how many Super Bowls he won or didn't. He has an addictive personality and it was passed on to his children. Our culture prizes workaholics, but it really shouldn't. Mike Holmgren was right. When he reflects back upon his life, I hope he doesn't wish that he had more time to break down film, but more time to spend with his children.

I don’t think you’re being unfair here. The piece made me feel both sympathy for Andy and a little “WTF, Andy?”

C3HIEF3S 01-19-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14051762)
It’s a indictment of pro football that the only successes (and many of the failures) are family-abandoning, tale-eating maniacs.

Kinda tempers the enjoyment of the sport, like CTE.

That’s life in general. It’s completely asinine to think that this is isolated to pro football. You as an employee/business owner/coach/player have every right to close up shop at 5 pm every day or only put in work during team hours. The sad truth is that there’s someone else out there working harder and longer than you. If you don’t put in the work, don’t complain when you can’t put food on the table.

Reid’s been married 37 years and from what the article says, it hardly sounds like he “abandoned” his family. I’m sure there are a lot of marriages with impeccable work-life balances that couldn’t sniff that amount of longevity. He did everything he could to push his kids in the right direction. Addicts are their own beast, I’m glad he was able to help Britt find a path. I just find it hard to judge a man whose been through the shit that Andy Reid has.

Just my opinion, I’m sure there will be a large amount of disagreement simply based off of upbringing and personal values.

DRM08 01-19-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14051766)
Meh, it's a short season. These guys get PLENTY of time off between the OTA's and camp. And I would wager that after that much family time, most of them are pretty much dying to get back to work.
People who are driven to work generally don't enjoy more than one week off at a time. I know I don't.

I don’t think he only works like that during the season.

stevieray 01-19-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Ya, I got that a little, too..and I agree. We all just cope differently.

..as my 90 year old Aunt likes to say( and who worked until she was 68)

At the end of their life, nobody says I wish I would have worked more.

Mr. Wizard 01-19-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

It's a valid point "Hamas" and should be a cautionary tale for all of us. I remember when my job was all that mattered and my family paid for it, as did I in the end.
Now I have a new lease on life and coach my 9 year old boys teams. It's fun and something he will always remember. More importantly, I now realize that my job will be there when I get there and that the world does not revolve around my endless hours working. "Work smarter not harder" used to piss me off but now I realize there is great wisdom in those sayings handed down generation after generation.
One time an older man told me that I needed to "spend less time doing the right thing and more time thinking about what I ought to be doing'. It pissed me off. My ignorance would not accept what he was trying to tell me.
I now realize that I know so little about life that "I don't even know what I don't know." Most importantly my family is better off for it.
It's a great read about Andy and I both wish him well and feel sorry for him and his family at the same time. Perhaps his old kicker said it best. Shouldn't we all live our lives based on what will end up on our gravestone? Just a question which I nor you truly have an answer for. Godspeed Andy, Godspeed.

DaFace 01-19-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

It's not the life I want to have, but many people who are at the top of their industry sacrifice family for work. I'm not endorsing that, but Andy is hardly unusual in that.

Oxford 01-19-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Through all of our own faults (flawed beings we are), sometimes the few good things we accomplish have a wider and more positive effect than we could ever imagine. The key is what the people who got their second chance through Reid do with it and how they positively effect the people in their lives

farmerchief 01-19-2019 10:26 AM

“If you go about the right steps to right the wrong,” Reid would say much later, “then I think you deserve another shot.”

I wonder if this applies to Kareem Hunt?

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-19-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14051773)
I don’t think he only works like that during the season.

I suspect you are correct. But, he SHOULD be able to trim the workload between OTA's and camp.

RealSNR 01-19-2019 10:27 AM

Andy must have one hell of a wife

Red Beans 01-19-2019 10:28 AM

Chills...

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-19-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14051890)
Andy must have one hell of a wife

Incredibly supportive. All men should be so lucky.