ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News USS Hornet found near Solomon Islands (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321284)

ToxSocks 02-12-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14103583)
Watched this show called “Drain the Oceans”. Shows all the wrecks on the bottom of the ocean and tells their story on how and why they went down. Interesting stuff, to me anyway.

Heh. Was watching it last night and they did a special on the Titanic (done to death i know).

Amnorix 02-12-2019 05:15 PM

Hornet, Yorktown and Enterprise turned the course of WWII in the Pacific at the Battle of Midway, sinking four Japanese carriers in exchange for just one. The Japanese lost the initiative as a result of that battle, and the Allies held it the rest of the way.

Hornet was also the ship that launched the Doolittle raid.

Between the two, she is one of the most famous ships in US Navy history, and it's awesome that we've found her.

notorious 02-12-2019 05:15 PM

Great news!

ChiefaRoo 02-12-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14103600)
Hornet, Yorktown and Enterprise turned the course of WWII in the Pacific at the Battle of Midway, sinking four Japanese carriers in exchange for just one. The Japanese lost the initiative as a result of that battle, and the Allies held it the rest of the way.

Between the two, she is one of the most famous ships in US Navy history, and it's awesome that we've found her.

Let’s refloat it and sail it around China’s new Aircraft Carrier by remote control.

Boon 02-12-2019 05:23 PM

That is cool. History is cool.

Donger 02-12-2019 05:24 PM

Very cool. She launched the Doolittle Raid and took part in Midway, the turning point in the war in the Pacific.

stevieray 02-12-2019 05:39 PM

Salute!

Amnorix 02-12-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14103600)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 14103619)
Very cool. She launched the Doolittle Raid and took part in Midway, the turning point in the war in the Pacific.

Too late old man.

Discuss Thrower 02-12-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14103668)
Too late old man.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/...mes-5b5ca8.jpg

MTG#10 02-12-2019 06:05 PM

I love shit like this. If I ever become a billionaire my life will be spent on my own vessel searching for cool shit on the floor of the oceans.

displacedinMN 02-12-2019 06:13 PM

Just saw a story on it.

They did a video feed to a guy who was 18 when it sank, He is now over 90.
He said if someone finds the 40 bucks in his locker, they can have it.

Bob Dole 02-12-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14103572)
They got a liiiiiitle over-dramatic there.

Yes, she sunk. Yes, some of her sailors died. But they kinda made it sound like she went down with 2,000 souls or something. My memory is that she was scuttled and had been abandoned for some time by then.

Those Yorktown carriers had about 3,000 people on them. It probably lost about 5% of its crew when it was being attacked. "The final resting place of so many of her brave crew" is kinda overdone seeing as how they'd probably pulled many of those casualties off the ship before they set about scuttling her.

Still damn cool, especially the interview with the sailor, but leave it to network news shows to go for the heart strings just for shits and grins.

It clearly states 140 souls were lost. If your takeaway was 2000, you have a reading comprehension issue.

golfindude 02-12-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 14103525)
Growing up I had the chance to talk to several WW II vets... I found them to be some of the most interesting people I have ever met... True American heroes...

My son set up a veterans day program at school a few years ago. Had a Navy man who was on the USS Oklahoma during Pearl Harbor. He was very old but told a hell of a story of bravery and courage. Almost felt like we were there. He still had the keys to the gun powder room after all those yrs as he got blow up before he could get the door unlocked. Our government got wind of this and honored him with a nice ceremony where he gave them the keys. He has since passed but I remember how attentive and respectful the jr. high kids were to him and the other veterans. Each kid spoke to him and shook his hand afterwards.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 06:43 PM

Awesome

Rain Man 02-12-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14103699)
Just saw a story on it.

They did a video feed to a guy who was 18 when it sank, He is now over 90.
He said if someone finds the 40 bucks in his locker, they can have it.

I just saw the same story. (Looks up at the OP.)