ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Players that could fit Chiefs’ needs in later rounds of draft, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321420)

Hydrae 02-20-2019 12:30 PM

I don't really get why so many people think that OL is such a great need. The line was not terrible even with a number of injuries. We know Mitch and the doc have the right side locked down. I expect Morse to leave in FA but Reiter did a decent job and Cam could fill in if needed as well. If Cam slides to the middle we may see Khalil McKenzie at LG depending on his progress this last year. And while many of us are not thrilled with Fisher I doubt we are in a position to find a better replacement.

Bottom line, I would only expect to see lower round developmental picks on the OL this year and doubt we see any free agents either.

Kiimo 02-20-2019 12:52 PM

It's all ****ing offense. Wow.

Flying High D 02-20-2019 12:55 PM

MKJ going O for the KCC’s.

Tribal Warfare 02-20-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14116153)
I don't really get why so many people think that OL is such a great need.

Because Mahomes.

Protecting your investment ( Franchise QB) is always of grave importance.

Andrew Luck's career trajectory is indicative to that.

ChiefGator 02-20-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14115396)
These players could fit Chiefs’ needs in later rounds of draft, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. says

Connor McGovern, Penn State: He left Happy Valley a year early to declare for the NFL Draft and was Kiper’s top draft-eligible guard when he announced his intentions. McGovern was an all-Big Ten player at right guard this past season and played exclusively at center as a sophomore. He would give the Chiefs some depth behind Mitch Morse and Mitchell Schwartz. McGovern is listed at 6-foot-5, 323 pounds.

Garrett Bradbury, North Carolina State: Bradbury won the Rimington Trophy, given to the top center in college football, in December and has had quite the career after signing as a tight end out of high school. Bradbury blocked for quarterback Ryan Finley, one of the top prospects in the draft, and is considered fundamentally sound and an elite pass-blocker. There’s a chance he’s off the board by the time the Chiefs pick in the second round.

So, McGovern is going to back up our center (who will be gone) and our right tackle?

And a the 2nd round is now a 'later round' in the draft?

dlphg9 02-20-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14116153)
I don't really get why so many people think that OL is such a great need. The line was not terrible even with a number of injuries. We know Mitch and the doc have the right side locked down. I expect Morse to leave in FA but Reiter did a decent job and Cam could fill in if needed as well. If Cam slides to the middle we may see Khalil McKenzie at LG depending on his progress this last year. And while many of us are not thrilled with Fisher I doubt we are in a position to find a better replacement.

Bottom line, I would only expect to see lower round developmental picks on the OL this year and doubt we see any free agents either.

Mahomes was constantly under pressure. He is so good he makes the line look much better than they are, but he is always taking hits. More hits = better chance of getting injured.

Kiimo 02-20-2019 06:34 PM

The line will have some improvements without the draft, we don't need to draft more than a tackle I'm thinking. LDT coming back, maybe Kahlil Mackenzie, another year of Cam Erving developing. This whole thing is offense. There are way more pressing needs.

RustShack 02-20-2019 08:14 PM

Late round flyer on Peavy from Iowa State. One of the top rated CB’s according to PFF, his knock is that he’s 5’9”. If he was taller, he’d be drafted higher.