ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Does the D deserve the least amount of blame? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326649)

lcarus 11-11-2019 02:34 PM

It kinda reminded me of the home Chargers game last year. The defense was pretty solid all night and then when the Chargers got into desperation mode late in the game they couldn't ****ing be stopped.

FloridaMan88 11-11-2019 02:47 PM

Despite the fact Tennessee is a terrible passing team with Ryan Tannehill at QB, the Chiefs defense quit on that final drive... they let a shitfest offense drive it down their throats for the winning TD.

Forget scheme/coaching... where is the on-field leadership on defense to step up and make a stop?

Frank Clark’s on-field leadership only shows up in postgame remarks.

keg in kc 11-11-2019 02:49 PM

The defense actually made what should have been the signature stop to win the game, with Clark's sack on the next-to-last Titans drive. The Chiefs offense couldn't sustain a drive there to seal the game, then there was the whistle in the crowd (happened several times late in the game) that led to the first failed field goal, which would have put the Chiefs up 8.

That's on the offense and special teams in my book, not making any plays to seal the game away. Tennessee should have never gotten the ball back, and they should never have had an opportunity to take a lead. Fail in two facets of the game at the end like that, and give a team a second chance to score late, and you're just asking to lose exactly the way we did.

Jerm 11-11-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14590101)
Despite the fact Tennessee is a terrible passing team with Ryan Tannehill at QB, the Chiefs defense quit on that final drive... they let a shitfest offense drive it down their throats for the winning TD.

Forget scheme/coaching... where is the on-field leadership on defense to step up and make a stop?

Frank Clark’s on-field leadership only shows up in postgame remarks.

There is none....you said it....the "leadership" and I use that term lightly, comes in the form or postgame comments and tweets.

FloridaMan88 11-11-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14590105)
The defense actually made what should have been the signature stop to win the game, with Clark's sack on the next-to-last Titans drive. The Chiefs offense couldn't sustain a drive there to seal the game, then there was the whistle in the crowd (happened several times late in the game) that led to the first failed field goal, which would have put the Chiefs up 8.

That's on the offense and special teams in my book, not making any plays to seal the game away. Tennessee should have never gotten the ball back, and they should have had an opportunity to take a lead. Fail like that, and give a team a second chance to score late, and you're just asking to lose exactly the way we did.

That doesn’t excuse the defense’s total no show on Tennessee’s game winning TD drive.

Tennessee... a terrible passing offense with a crappy QB starts on their own 39 yard line with no time outs, 1:20 left and needing a TD.

That is a very favorable situation for the defense.

But instead, four plays and a TD given up with no resistance.

Pathetic, gutless and embarrassing.

Valiant 11-11-2019 05:42 PM

That 3rd and 2 playcall, special teams miscue twice. But the defense should of been well rested. That fumble was a gift by the officials.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11-11-2019 05:44 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#chiefs</a> RUN DEFENSE is 31st in the League and have given up 1500 rush yards already (week 10). They have problems. As I broke them down today, I saw two serious ISSUES. Follow the thread for my analysis .... <a href="https://t.co/Nx6SkxNb10">pic.twitter.com/Nx6SkxNb10</a></p>&mdash; Paul Alexander (@CoachPaulAlex) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachPaulAlex/status/1194031524921913344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Megatron96 11-11-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14590113)
That doesn’t excuse the defense’s total no show on Tennessee’s game winning TD drive.

Tennessee... a terrible passing offense with a crappy QB starts on their own 39 yard line with no time outs, 1:20 left and needing a TD.

That is a very favorable situation for the defense.

But instead, four plays and a TD given up with no resistance.

Pathetic, gutless and embarrassing.

I don't know why people keep saying this when his stats keep saying the opposite. He's a career 61% completion passer with a career 88% Passer Rating, that played WR in college. So while not a top 10 QB, he isn't some scrub; he can play. And he can run. No, he isn't Lamar Jackson, but he's 6' 4" and 220-230 lbs. and knows how to run in open space. That remind you of anyone?

And last week he threw for 331 yards for a 69% completion percentage, worth an 8.5 yards/attempt against the Panthers, who have a pretty good D.

So we can put the "Tannehill sucks" idea to bed. He may not be Montana, but he also isn't Trubisky.

ThyKingdomCome15 11-11-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 14589984)
All phases

Defense for getting gashed in the running game
Offense for not running it on 3rd and 2 and Williams fumble
Special teams for virtually everything they did

This was a team pants wetting

Well said man.

I'd also like to add Mahomes missed a wide open Hill that would've put the team up 17-0.

Defense... Derek Henry and you knew he was coming and where. No excuses.

Special teams were... especially terrible from Hardman fair catch at the 2 to Butker's missed extra point. Never seen such a bad day from the ST's in my life! All that was missing was a TO for a TD.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-11-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14590515)
I don't know why people keep saying this when his stats keep saying the opposite. He's a career 61% completion passer with a career 88% Passer Rating, that played WR in college. So while not a top 10 QB, he isn't some scrub; he can play. And he can run. No, he isn't Lamar Jackson, but he's 6' 4" and 220-230 lbs. and knows how to run in open space. That remind you of anyone?

And last week he threw for 331 yards for a 69% completion percentage, worth an 8.5 yards/attempt against the Panthers, who have a pretty good D.

So we can put the "Tannehill sucks" idea to bed. He may not be Montana, but he also isn't Trubisky.

Mariotta is sitting for a reason, Tannehill isn't terrible. He dropped some dimes yesterday. Although, I don't know why we were playing man under at the end...

Buehler445 11-11-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah. He’s an enigma. There were a few plays yesterday where he looked really ****ing bad. One sack in particular he just ate when he had plenty of time to get rid of it. Then other times he looked solid.

OnTheWarpath15 11-11-2019 06:16 PM

Not that one man is a savior, but I really believe if Pennel is active we win that game.

Only been here a short time, but arguably one of our best run defenders - and inactive against a great rushing offense.

It's almost like KC assumed they would boat race TEN and they would abandon the run...

Hammock Parties 11-11-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14590532)
It's almost like KC assumed they would boat race TEN and they would abandon the run...

That's exactly what I thought.

I think we might have gotten a little bit big for our britches.

Megatron96 11-11-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 14590524)
Mariotta is sitting for a reason, Tannehill isn't terrible. He dropped some dimes yesterday. Although, I don't know why we were playing man under at the end...

Trying to get pressure, presumably. On the Tannehill GW TD pass, Fenton clearly stumbles and falls down, allowing his man to be completely wide open in the middle of the field. Who's fault is that? Fenton for tripping on grass? Maybe the WR pushed him? Maybe the groundskeeper put a little bump in the lawn right there for some reason?

My thought is nobody's really; you don't plan for a guy to fall down in the middle of a play. Just like you don't really plan for your veteran kicking crew to suddenly do the worst possible thing at the worst possible moment. It's not a thing.

BWillie 11-11-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Probably the 20th best QB in the NFL. Something like that.