ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills/ Bengals [cancelled - process in OP] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346826)

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 16705662)
That would be a league wide nightmare. If anything, it seems like let the Bills/Bengals play this weekend, then push the 4 teams affected to that following week.

Let the other 28 teams play this weekend.

You literally cannot do this because of playoffs

TwistedChief 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705656)
To be fair that was those Teams' DECISION last night. It would be a unfair advantage to allow them to play the game which they choose to NOT play.

It's an unfair advantage to allow them to choose to play a game in the next few days or next week that they chose not to continue last night because someone nearly died on the field?

Yeah, that seems like a solid and persuasive argument.

kcclone 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 16705657)
The window for playing today is probably pretty small right now.

They flew back to Buffalo, didn't they? I see no logistical way to play today.

Spott 01-03-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705652)
This,

But not only this, the other 30 Teams don't deserve punishment because neither team wanted to continue the game. (Regardless if its right or wrong)

I don’t know that the other 30 teams view getting an extra week off as punishment. I’m sure the players would be all for it.

scho63 01-03-2023 08:36 AM

There is no easy answer, there will be plenty of critics, and life goes on.

It is the way it is.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16705665)
It's an unfair advantage to allow them to choose to play a game in the next few days or next week that they chose not to continue last night because someone nearly died on the field?

Yeah, that seems like a solid and persuasive argument.

Yes because of playoff implications, it IS an unfair advantage.

We had a player off himself in front of our COACH and GM and we played two days later, as scheduled.

"Nearly Died"

We have seen players become PERMANENTLY PARALYZED and they continued to play.

The unfair advantage is some teams would be RESTING players next week. Now this throws a wrench into the entire seeding issue.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:37 AM

Ravens can win the division

Chiefs can get one seed

The implications of this single game to the entire playoff seedings are kinda huge.

notorious 01-03-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16705670)
There is no easy answer, there will be plenty of critics, and life goes on.

It is the way it is.

(shrugs shoulders and nods head in agreement)

TwistedChief 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705671)
Yes because of playoff implications, it IS an unfair advantage.

We had a player off himself in front of our COACH and GM and we played two days later, as scheduled.

"Nearly Died"

We have seen players become PERMANENTLY PARALYZED and they continued to play.

The unfair advantage is some teams would be RESTING players next week. Now this throws a wrench into the entire seeding issue.

Do you think the Chiefs would've played the game if Belcher had killed himself in the parking lot immediately before the game? Answer: no.

We now know that he didn't die on the field. But at the time, none of those players had any idea if he'd make it to the hospital or even off the field alive. Not the same as a guy being taken away by an ambulance on a stretcher with fear of a potential paralyzing injury.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Hill (Post 16705642)
It's unfortunate, but there's going to be angry people no matter what the decision. I don't know what the right call is, I just know I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision

Yea it is unfortunate but I think the Bills just need to take the loss and move on. The score was 7-3, although there was much game to be played and this situation takes all control out of their hands...totally unfair thing BUT the other outcomes have way more effect on the league and other teams.

simplest thing would be 1 of two option.

1. Resume the game tomorrow.
2. Bills take the loss.

The first one makes the team play on a short week and calls into question the very thing this whole deal is about, players safety. That is a bad look imo.

If it was a the Chiefs in this situation I would rather go into the PO as a 2 seed then play 2 games in 4 days and then another short week into the playoffs potentially. Risking further injury and especially after the team is shell shocked.

Just forfeit the game move on.

I think you can also look at it like an OT game in reverse where the arguments are both teams should touch the ball etc. Well, the game has to end at some point as unfair as it is that Mahomes didn't get to touch the ball in the 18 AFCCG. I know that the situation is completely different but freak injury (assuming the cardiac arrest was from injury) made the game be canceled and you just take the final score.

luv 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

I would think they play tonight or tomorrow night. I know there's no MNF games the last week of the season, but Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens games could be played Monday night.

There's really no way to be completely fair to the Bills or Bengals, or to the fans and stadium staff that will have to rearrange things.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:43 AM

Forfeiting the game for both teams is only thing that makes sense

LoneWolf 01-03-2023 08:47 AM

Easy solution is to play the game tomorrow and move their week 18 games from Sunday to Monday. Then you make sure if they have to play on wildcard weekend that their games are on Sunday and not Saturday. This gives both teams one day extra rest as compared to a normal Thursday night game for their games on Monday and still gives them the same amount of rest as any of the teams that have to play on Saturday the first week of the playoffs.

This has the least amount of disruption to the rest of the league and still treats the Bengals and Bills with as much fairness as possible.

dirk digler 01-03-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 16705683)
I would think they play tonight or tomorrow night. I know there's no MNF games the last week of the season, but Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens games could be played Monday night.

There's really no way to be completely fair to the Bills or Bengals, or to the fans and stadium staff that will have to rearrange things.

National championship game is Monday night though.

Tough decision but I think they need to play it tomorrow or the Bills take the L.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705686)
Forfeiting the game for both teams is only thing that makes sense

or this (see my post above) Call it a tie or whatever but it makes 0 sense to me to have these guys play on short week 4 days apart after a guy about died on a field and or adjust the entire league which has massive implications on multiple fronts.

It is a freak occurrence everyone has to understand that and as such it needs to be mitigated as much as possible, that being keep it between the two teams.