ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Will the Chiefs finally have a top-10 defense in 2023? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348876)

RedinTexas 05-31-2023 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16964522)
Yeah, I don't expect to ever be top 10 in yards allowed and don't care.

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

^ The things I care about.

I think this team is going to be dramatically improved in the back end. Yes, they're losing Thornhill, but I think the upgrade Tranquill is going to provide on passing downs at LB is significant. I also think Cook and Edwards will prove to be a better combination than Thornhill and Cook were last year. and the CB room should be improved, too, just from experience.

Boiled down to brass tacks, the only thing that really matters is Scoring D.

JohnnyHammersticks 05-31-2023 07:15 AM

Caught a bit of Seahawks v Chargers from week 7 last season on NFLN yesterday and Drue Tranquill was flashing all over the place. Such a good pickup. Our LB group is gonna crush souls this season.

He and Omenihu are both outstanding additions to our defense.

scho63 05-31-2023 07:39 AM

If we finish between 8-14, we are easily SB bound again.

I would be happy with that.

Just want more sacks.

Hammock Parties 05-31-2023 07:47 AM

unlikely because we always seem to give up a lot of garbage time yards and points, and simply having mahomes inflates our defensive numbers

Wallcrawler 05-31-2023 08:31 AM

I'd simply be happy with not surrendering a ****ing touchdown every time an opponent steps one foot inside our redzone.

Shore that up, you got a scary unit. For whatever reason, once the opponent reaches our redzone, Steve just gets a big ol grin on his face, slaps his thigh with an " Aww Shucks" and just bends over and drops his little panties.

I still laugh at his superbowl presser where he lamented not getting the opportunity to close out the game because the offense just ran all the time out.

Shore up redzone and let the statistics be what they are.

Redbled 05-31-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOWTIME (Post 16964496)
so the question is, Frank Clark or Deandre Hopkins? not sure there is enough space for both…

I don’t see us spending enough on Clark that we have to choose.

Gary Cooper 05-31-2023 09:37 AM

I haven't been this excited about our defense since 1998.

Megatron96 05-31-2023 11:21 AM

Interestingly, KC's defense was tied for 10th in points allowed last season.

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-31-2023 12:39 PM

His defense was top 10 in points in 2019.

Rank well in points or turnovers and a defense is doing its job in today's NFL..

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-31-2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16964897)
Interestingly, KC's defense was tied for 10th in points allowed last season.

I think something like 48 out of 56 Super Bowl winners had a defense ranked in the top 10 for scoring.

mnchiefsguy 05-31-2023 02:45 PM

Points, turnovers and 3rd down percentage--be top ten in those and the rest is gravy.

Get the opponent off the field and the ball in Pat's hands.

smithandrew051 05-31-2023 02:51 PM

Quote:

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

I think this team is going to be dramatically improved in the back end. Yes, they're losing Thornhill, but I think the upgrade Tranquill is going to provide on passing downs at LB is significant. I also think Cook and Edwards will prove to be a better combination than Thornhill and Cook were last year. and the CB room should be improved, too, just from experience.

I’ve come full circle on sacks. Used to think they were all that mattered, but then focused more on pressure without blitzing.

At the end of the day, they aren’t everything but they matter a lot.

Sacks straight up wrecked several on Cincy’s drives in the AFCCG. Pressure doesn’t stop guys like Burrow. Sacks do.

Megatron96 05-31-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16965274)
I’ve come full circle on sacks. Used to think they were all that mattered, but then focused more on pressure without blitzing.

At the end of the day, they aren’t everything but they matter a lot.

Sacks straight up wrecked several on Cincy’s drives in the AFCCG. Pressure doesn’t stop guys like Burrow. Sacks do.

mmm, I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure that both INTs in the AFCG were the result of pressure in Burrow's face.

Anyway, i think our defense might not be top-10 in yardage, not with the rules being what they are, as well as how every team plays KC like it's the SB.

But if they can be a top-10 defense in scoring, 3rd downs and turnovers it'll be enough.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-31-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 16964544)
Caught a bit of Seahawks v Chargers from week 7 last season on NFLN yesterday and Drue Tranquill was flashing all over the place. Such a good pickup. Our LB group is gonna crush souls this season.

He and Omenihu are both outstanding additions to our defense.

This right here excites me, We've never had a set of LB's like this. Tranquil was the finishing touch we needed.

crispystl 05-31-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Yards per pass
3rd down D
Scoring D
Takeaways
Sacks

Should have a better pass rush too, with Karlaftis in his second year and adding Uzi.