ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the main source of conflict in the world? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97895)

ptlyon 09-08-2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Hmm, good point. Let's say in the past 100 years. Bonus points for answering in the past 5,000 years.

Well mine at the bottom started with Adam and Eve.

Saulbadguy 09-08-2004 11:16 AM

Hmm....take some of the major wars fought fought by the USA.
WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Civil, Revolutionary...now think about each one individually, and what the causes were. :D

Saulbadguy 09-08-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Hmm. I probably should have put xenophobia and tribalism on there as an option. Can a moderator add it?

I answered religion out of kneejerk habit, but the more I think about the more I wonder if it's cultural differences. Of course, the truth is that the two are fundamentally intertwined.

Yea, I think Religion might win because of "a sign of the times", but really think about it, Religion is not it. Religion is oft cited as an EXCUSE for war, bloodshed, etc..but there ALWAYS is an underlying motive.

Rain Man 09-08-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Hmm....take some of the major wars fought fought by the USA.
WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Civil, Revolutionary...now think about each one individually, and what the causes were. :D

That's hard. Thinking about the war itself (rather than the U.S. entry), I'd go with:

WWI. Cultural differences? (Tribalism)
WWII. Political.
Vietnam. I honestly can't classify it. Was it political by North Vietnam, or was it self-interest by North Vietnam, or was it some sort of recovery after colonialism?
Civil. Self-interest.
Revolutionary. Economic disparities/injustices.

Kylo Ren 09-08-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
Not even close. Religion

Once you get religion involved in an issue the issue will get worse. The combatants will see it as an attack on the culture/heritage/moral belief system and when that happens you my as well head to the bomb shelter or pick up arms cuz they are going to be bringin it.

More specifically ........... Radical Islam :mad:

Rausch 09-08-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Hmm, good point. Let's say in the past 100 years. Bonus points for answering in the past 5,000 years.

In that case, resources.

When given a chance any empire/nation has grown by whatever means necessary. Religon has just been the tool to motivate people to fight in it.

Clint in Wichita 09-08-2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan

Radical Islam wouldn't exist had Islam never existed in the first place.

My answer is still religion.

Mark M 09-08-2004 11:25 AM

What is the main source of conflict?

The unfailing supidity of human beings when assembled in large groups.

MM
~~:shrug:

HolyHandgernade 09-08-2004 11:26 AM

Fear and Boundaries.

Clint in Wichita 09-08-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Yea, I think Religion might win because of "a sign of the times", but really think about it, Religion is not it. Religion is oft cited as an EXCUSE for war, bloodshed, etc..but there ALWAYS is an underlying motive.

It doesn't matter. Without the ability to use religion as a motivational tool for the masses of suckers out there, many conflicts would never have taken place.

Religion may not always be the sole cause, but it almost always plays a crucial role in major conflicts.

Rain Man 09-08-2004 11:33 AM

It's interesting that religion, culture, and race tend to all run in packs. Most brownish Middle Easterners who wear robes and eat tabouli are muslim. Most whitish Europeans who wear suits and eat pizza are Christian. Most oriental Asians who .... etc., etc.

I wonder why there's such a strong correlation? It's got to be more than a coincidence.

ptlyon 09-08-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

It's interesting that religion, culture, and race tend to all run in packs. Most brownish Middle Easterners who wear robes and eat tabouli are muslim. Most whitish Europeans who wear suits and eat pizza are Christian. Most oriental Asians who .... etc., etc.

I wonder why there's such a strong correlation? It's got to be more than a coincidence.

Yeah, but what about the dumb b!+ches?

Clint in Wichita 09-08-2004 11:36 AM

Quote:

People tend to segregate themselves, resulting in different cultures.

Even within one city, you can usually tell the race of the majority of the people living nearby without seeing any of them.

Saulbadguy 09-08-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan

Yet another gem from Gunther_Fan...

C-Mac 09-08-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint in Wichita
I agree 100%, and I would go so far as to say
that the world would be far better place if there was no religion.

.....far better place if there was no "violent or intolerant" religion.(which basically covers most)

Quote:

The negatives of worshippng "superior beings" outweigh the positives IMO.
So the opposite I assume would be worship of "inferior beings" or basically "self worship"?