ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   QB Impressions (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304897)

Titty Meat 02-17-2017 06:31 PM

There's no denying he has some things to iron out but some of the things you describe to me read like Matt Ryan's scouting report as well. There's no doubt he can add 15 pounds or so to his frame. Dudes a gifted athlete and can make all the throws. His performance against Alabama was a beauty the throw to Williams on the game winning drive was something Alex Smith has never tried in his whole career. Watson to me seems to have that unmeasureable "it" factor. I hope he falls to us at 27.

RunKC 02-18-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12745994)
Because he never makes the same mistake twice in a row.

You don't know what to fix on the guy because every other pass is a new adventure in misfiring a football. He's damn erratic.

If you have a golfer that slices every shot, there's an easy fix there - you get him to stop pulling across the face and you're golden. But if he's, uh, me....he makes a new mistake on every swing and there's just too much wrong to focus on any specific fix. And even when something is perfect, you can't duplicate it with any regularity.

Watson's a lot like that. He fires high and low and wide. He'll throw into triple coverage, feel phantom pressure, hold onto the ball too long, etc... Then he'll twirl a rocket in between three guys for a TD or scramble out of trouble for 30 yards.

The guys a taller, less douche-rocket Manziel. He's so damn erratic that it's hard to know where to even start in fixing him. Then you worry that if you do that, you'll take away the things that make him dynamic. But dynamic or no, the guy was one of the worst in all of college football at throwing interceptions (led the NCAA over the last 2 years, IIRC). He absolutely cannot function on the next level playing like he does.

And everything about his game is so loud that the degree of difficulty in trying to iron out those wrinkles is going to be extremely high.

If Watson starts for a team - any team - next year, I think that team loses no fewer than 10 games. He's nowhere near an NFL ready quarterback.

Almost all of this reads exactly like Dak Prescott's scouting report.

Dave Lane 02-18-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12745480)
I think Watson could be. I don't get why you all don't love him.

I like him a lot. I'm sure I know why some don't. I just think there is no chance he drops to us hence I think some lack of hype.

Quesadilla Joe 02-18-2017 01:46 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The more I study Pitt QB Nate Peterman the more I like. Full field read. Fast eyes. Ball is out on time and perfect placement. <a href="https://t.co/lMY51NauNz">pic.twitter.com/lMY51NauNz</a></p>&mdash; Todd McShay (@McShay13) <a href="https://twitter.com/McShay13/status/833038162863747073">February 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kccrow 02-18-2017 07:18 PM

Peterman is such a prototypical WCO type of QB that I just have this feeling that is who KC will draft. When I first looked at all the QBs in this draft I had that feeling that "this is a perfect Andy Reid fit." He's accurate, he can make the throws, he anticipates routes coming open, he's smart with the football, he's mobile. He just has alot to like. He doesn't have the ceiling like some others, I think more because of arm strength than anything. If he cleans up his throwing base and increases his core strength, maybe he increases that zip on the ball ala Brees.

I think on KC's draft board, Peterman is a very real possibility in round 1.

I love the upside of Mahomes, but he comes with much more risk. Dorsey and Reid both saw risk in GB with a young Brett Favre and I'd be willing to bet they see the same type of player in Mahomes.

That said, they went with ultra-safe in Alex Smith when they came here and the QBs they've drafted to this point were generally pretty safe college players. Peterman is the safest QB in the draft.

Given the choice, I'd draft Mahomes and hope my coaches could fix his issues because that kind of arm and playmaking ability is hard to find. If not, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to take Peterman, and I might take him over Kizer even though I do like Kizer.

RunKC 02-18-2017 09:03 PM

People compare Peterman to Alex simply bc he managed the game at Pitt. It's what he was told to do, and to be honest, his receivers are nothing to write home about at all.

The biggest differentiator between these QB's will occur in Indy in a room where we will have zero access. Knowledge will always beat a strong arm all day and a guy like Peterman can make every throw on the field with decent velocity.

I don't mind having a QB to "manage the game" and not make mistakes as long as he recognizes and capitalizes on big plays by reading the field, which Peterman does well. Make no mistake about it, part of the reason Alex missed the throw to Tyreek was bc he was limited in the playcall and didn't go through progressions well.

Peterman can read defenses, he's got the balls to sit in the pocket with confidence and he's not scared to get hit. He's very much closer to Kirk Cousins IMO.

I think he's a perfect fit here and would be a big upgrade with a year on the bench.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-18-2017 09:49 PM

Nooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BryanBusby 02-18-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12747334)
Peterman is such a prototypical WCO type of QB that I just have this feeling that is who KC will draft. When I first looked at all the QBs in this draft I had that feeling that "this is a perfect Andy Reid fit." He's accurate, he can make the throws, he anticipates routes coming open, he's smart with the football, he's mobile. He just has alot to like. He doesn't have the ceiling like some others, I think more because of arm strength than anything. If he cleans up his throwing base and increases his core strength, maybe he increases that zip on the ball ala Brees.

I think on KC's draft board, Peterman is a very real possibility in round 1.

I love the upside of Mahomes, but he comes with much more risk. Dorsey and Reid both saw risk in GB with a young Brett Favre and I'd be willing to bet they see the same type of player in Mahomes.

That said, they went with ultra-safe in Alex Smith when they came here and the QBs they've drafted to this point were generally pretty safe college players. Peterman is the safest QB in the draft.

Given the choice, I'd draft Mahomes and hope my coaches could fix his issues because that kind of arm and playmaking ability is hard to find. If not, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to take Peterman, and I might take him over Kizer even though I do like Kizer.

Peterman in the first is a non starter. He'd probably be pretty low on the board in the 2nd, if on it at all.

I'm all for drafting a ticket for our limpwrist shit wagon QB to get out of town, and take his **** head loyalists with him, but the Chiefs still need to get value. Even with an inflated QB market, anything before Friday is too early.

kccrow 02-19-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12747517)
Peterman in the first is a non starter. He'd probably be pretty low on the board in the 2nd, if on it at all.

I'm all for drafting a ticket for our limpwrist shit wagon QB to get out of town, and take his **** head loyalists with him, but the Chiefs still need to get value. Even with an inflated QB market, anything before Friday is too early.

Worse QBs than Peterman have been taken in the first and early 2nd, so I'm not sure about where he'll land. I do know this, teams are going to like that he's much more pro ready than any of the other prospects. There's not a ton of limiting factors in his game, and I personally believe he's being SEVERELY undervalued by media pundits. We'll see what transpires in Indianapolis, but I'd be willing to guess he's gone by the middle of the 2nd round. My thoughts are his worst case scenario is top half of the 3rd round. There are far too many gambles in this draft at QB and Peterman is more of a sure thing. I'd never discount that.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12746928)
Almost all of this reads exactly like Dak Prescott's scouting report.

I don't think so.

Prescott had odd mechanics but he repeated them. Prescott knew where the ball was going when he released it because for however strange his mechanics are, he knows exactly what they'll be over and over again.

Watson isn't like that. His trigger is different every time. His feet placement is different every time. His delivery/release is different.

He's just very inconsistent.

It's similar to the distinction between precision and accuracy in shooting. If you're a precise shooter who isn't accurate, you'll have a great grouping, 3 inches left of the ten ring every time. If you're accurate but imprecise, it may take you 5 times and you'll miss in 4 directions but on the 5th shot, you'll drill the center.

I'll take precision because I can work with it; if I know I'm going to shoot 3 inches left every time, I'll just start aiming 3 inches to the right of center. That's sorta what Prescott does - he's quirky, but it's a repeatable quirky that he can compensate for. With Watson, he's just all over the place and occasionally falls into the right answer. But you never know when and it's not quite steady enough to know which part to fix.

I won't yell loudly if they take Watson because Reid knows more about QBs than I do and I'm wrong more often than not with those guys. But that's my biggest concern with him - I just don't know if the 'precision' is there to build on whereas last season demonstrated that Dak's was.

Mother****erJones 02-20-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12745246)
Everyone knew going into it that Lynch wouldn't be ready year one. Everyone. Why are you so surprised that he wasn't ready?

If you watched Lynch though, it was very clear that he has some rare traits. A guy that big, who can move that fluidly who also has a huge arm... if he reaches his ceiling it will be bad news for the NFL.

ROFL full homer

RunKC 02-21-2017 08:47 AM

Louis Riddick

If you have not invested heavily in the infrastructure required to develop a young QB, this 2017 draft is not for you. At least not at top.

This pretty much nails it. Yes you need infastructure for all QB's but some guys can manage it well like Carson Wentz.
We've got a top 10 roster ready for someone to step right in.

Quesadilla Joe 02-21-2017 08:59 AM

DJ just tweet bombed a bunch of QB thoughts, too many to embed...

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

RunKC 02-21-2017 09:33 AM

Daniel Jeremiah

Webb has size/big arm, makes impressive hole shot throws. Full field reads. Needs to improve pocket presence & falls off too many throws.

Full field reads are probably why teams like him so much. NFL size, above average arm and reading defenses.

KChiefs1 02-22-2017 12:11 AM

https://youtu.be/IbyF_xPc2O0

Quesadilla Joe 02-23-2017 11:28 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork">@nflnetwork</a> is doing a 6-part series, “One Shot,” with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Clemson?src=hash">#Clemson</a> QB Deshaun Watson, following him thru the draft. It begins tonight at 7 pm</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/834813376924631046">February 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

Quesadilla Joe 02-24-2017 07:44 AM

From Matt Miller's Friday column

Quote:

Nathan Peterman, or as one scout told me this week, "this draft's best chance at a Dak Prescott."

Peterman had a strong Senior Bowl week, and in my study of his film I've seen accuracy, poise, instincts and a good enough arm to make pro-level throws across the field. What the scout meant by "Dak-like," though, isn't that he'll lead a team to a playoff run as a rookie. More likely he means a franchise can grab a starter outside the first two rounds. And Peterman can be that if he slips to the third round.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ce=twitter.com

Quesadilla Joe 02-24-2017 12:27 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just finished 6-gm study of Deshaun Watson. Completed 79% w/in 25 yards beyond line of scrimmage. Impressive! But only 29% beyond 25 yards</p>&mdash; Todd McShay (@McShay13) <a href="https://twitter.com/McShay13/status/835193606243770368">February 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

Urc Burry 02-24-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12755176)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just finished 6-gm study of Deshaun Watson. Completed 79% w/in 25 yards beyond line of scrimmage. Impressive! But only 29% beyond 25 yards</p>&mdash; Todd McShay (@McShay13) <a href="https://twitter.com/McShay13/status/835193606243770368">February 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

Easy to see where the Alex Smith comparisons come from. Lack of weapons wasn't an issue at Clemson either. Mike Williams is going to be a stud

TRR 02-25-2017 11:52 AM

Kizer is my #1 QB. Has similarities to McNabb, good pocket awareness, and scans the entire field. Played on a pretty bad ND team this past season.

Watson is my #2. He's a gamer and should be able to blossom into a quality NFL starter with a bit of time behind a veteran QB.

The rest are just the rest to me. I see why some like Mahomes but he is overly raw and would need a lot of time to sit and learn. He looks to leave the pocket at a moments notice and is too reliant on the spread O/jailbreak backyard style for my liking. Trubisky doesnt have enough experience or tape for me to have an opinion. Webb, Kaaya, Peterman, etc are all 3rd round guys at best IMO.

Quesadilla Joe 02-27-2017 12:39 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mayock: &quot;I&#39;m not bullish on the quarterbacks this year because I don&#39;t think any of them are ready Day 1.&quot;</p>&mdash; Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/836283726195798017">February 27, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mayock: Deshaun Watson &quot;has to show he can win in the pocket.&quot; Issue is that his accuracy/decision making drops on 2nd/3rd reads.</p>&mdash; Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/836284001077854209">February 27, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mayock: &quot;I could name you half the league that needs a quality starting QB.&quot; Said in response to a question about KC&#39;s QB situation.</p>&mdash; Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/836278868243857409">February 27, 2017</a></blockquote>

Dante84 03-01-2017 08:09 AM

D, we should get a RB impressions thread going...

Quesadilla Joe 03-01-2017 09:03 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Text from NFL exec-- biggest talk at Combine, and it&#39;s not close--USC QB is rare. (It&#39;s tough to ignore him when you&#39;re studying other guys)</p>&mdash; Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) <a href="https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/836951471321145345">March 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

kccrow 03-01-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12762945)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Text from NFL exec-- biggest talk at Combine, and it&#39;s not close--USC QB is rare. (It&#39;s tough to ignore him when you&#39;re studying other guys)</p>&mdash; Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) <a href="https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/836951471321145345">March 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

Doesn't matter. USC QB is not in this draft and USC QB will go #1 overall when he declares if he stays on current ascent. Not anything KC or DEN should concern themselves with. Certainly not going to wait on a QB hoping that you suck so ****ing bad you have a shot at him.

Chiefshrink 03-01-2017 07:25 PM

Casserly say's there are no legit 1st rdrs this year and a handful of teams will get burned because of their need pushing these guys up from actual 3rd to 4th rd actual talent. Is he correct ??

Titty Meat 03-01-2017 10:03 PM

No good QBs this year wait til next year

Tribal Warfare 03-01-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12764181)

/Chiefs fans every draft season

Buehler445 03-02-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12764181)

Right. Last year, Prescott was a shit prospect and now everybody is sucking his dick.

Titty Meat 03-02-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12764304)
/Chiefs fans every draft season

CP is all about drafting a QB just to draft a QB and the guys they've wanted have all sucked. Very few on here actually watch college football.

BossChief 03-02-2017 09:55 AM

I'd be jumping up and down if they take Mahomes at 27, Billay.

I was a huge Brett Favre fan and if they draft Mahomes, both sides of the football will be fun to watch.

RunKC 03-02-2017 10:05 AM

Mahommes hands are barely over 9 inches. Please god let teams freak out over this like they did with Carr/Bridgewater.

Fall down that board Pat!

BryanBusby 03-02-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12764533)
Right. Last year, Prescott was a shit prospect and now everybody is sucking his dick.

You're stretching this. He waa viewed fairly positive but tumbled because he was stupid and got a DUI shortly before the draft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12763911)
Casserly say's there are no legit 1st rdrs this year and a handful of teams will get burned because of their need pushing these guys up from actual 3rd to 4th rd actual talent. Is he correct ??

2nd, 3rd round talent will be pushed up the board every single draft until significant nfl rule changes.

You have a system that encourages more people to leave school earlier which makes for more not ready players and a major demand for QBs rockets them up the board.

You either deal with it or suck shit for over 50 years.

Quesadilla Joe 03-02-2017 07:00 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson is impressing every team with his knowledge of the offense his understanding of coverages and personnel and leadership skills</p>&mdash; michael lombardi (@mlombardiNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/837462073655377920">March 3, 2017</a></blockquote>

Titty Meat 03-02-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12764607)

I was a huge Brett Favre fan and if they draft Mahomes, both sides of the football will be fun to watch.

If Reid/Dorsey think the kid is worth a 1st who am I to question them? I'll be happy this franchise finally drafted a QB. I'm not sold on him though and see this as teams playing poker.

Quesadilla Joe 03-03-2017 10:42 AM

Some of Greg Cosell's thoughts on this year's QB class...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...302-story.html

Spoiler!

DJ's left nut 03-03-2017 11:49 AM

Being a locked-leg passer is something that I just started watching for last season after seeing Charlie Casserly talk about it and yeah, it's a real thing and it ****ing sucks.

Those guys can't drive the ball very well and they use that front leg as a crutch to almost 'lift' themselves into loft passes. It's a terrible habit and I don't understand how it's taught and not broken.

I haven't really dug into the QBs much, but that limits Trubisky's ceiling somewhat, IMO.

Mahomes and Kizer are still the two guys I think I'd really want from this class.

The Franchise 03-03-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12766656)
Being a locked-leg passer is something that I just started watching for last season after seeing Charlie Casserly talk about it and yeah, it's a real thing and it ****ing sucks.

Those guys can't drive the ball very well and they use that front leg as a crutch to almost 'lift' themselves into loft passes. It's a terrible habit and I don't understand how it's taught and not broken.

I haven't really dug into the QBs much, but that limits Trubisky's ceiling somewhat, IMO.

Mahomes and Kizer are still the two guys I think I'd really want from this class.

This.

Hammock Parties 03-03-2017 12:07 PM

Literally **** all of these middling QB prospects.

I don't want any of them.

staylor26 03-03-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12766674)

You gave Geno a higher grade than all of these guys?

LMAO

RunKC 03-03-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

This is 98% of draft classes. 2018 draft class is a myth. All these hyped QB's will be gone and Mason Rudolph/Luke Falk are no different than these guys.

Quesadilla Joe 03-03-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12766702)

LMAO

This forum saw what they wanted to see with Geno. I'm not going to call them out, but a pretty respected poster said that Geno reminded him of a mix between John Elway and Aaron Rodgers. CP desperately wanted a QB to be worthy of the #1 pick that year and it led to them overrating Geno.

KChiefs1 03-03-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12763911)

So another Geno Smith type year?

KChiefs1 03-03-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12764626)
Mahommes hands are barely over 9 inches. Please god let teams freak out over this like they did with Carr/Bridgewater.

Fall down that board Pat!

Little hands, little cock.

KChiefs1 03-03-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12766534)
Some of Greg Cosell's thoughts on this year's QB class...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...302-story.html

Spoiler!

Mahomes is the only guy I'd consider.

Titty Meat 03-03-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Yup

Mr_Tomahawk 03-03-2017 01:14 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson says he had a formal interview with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> on Tuesday. KC definitely meeting with QBs.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/837742767249965057">March 3, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

staylor26 03-03-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 12766783)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deshaun Watson says he had a formal interview with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> on Tuesday. KC definitely meeting with QBs.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/837742767249965057">March 3, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's pretty obvious that they're looking for our QBOTF

RunKC 03-03-2017 01:17 PM

Chiefs met with Mahommes

Hammock Parties 03-03-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12766702)

LMAO

Geno taught me something, and that's not to get too high on guys like Mahomes.

Quesadilla Joe 03-03-2017 08:23 PM

Cecil Lammey said on Denver radio that the buzz was 4 QB's would go in the first round and that Mahomes could go to KC. He also said that KC is smitten with Deshaun Watson and that KC may move up to get him.

kcchiefsus 03-04-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12766788)
It's pretty obvious that they're looking for our QBOTF

They'll show their hand and someone else will take the guy we want. It's the Chiefs way.

Hammock Parties 03-04-2017 08:21 AM

Almost a 4.9 for Kizer.

Slower than I thought.

KChiefs1 03-04-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12766802)
Geno taught me something, and that's not to get too high on guys like Mahomes.

He taught me something too. That your opinion isn't worth shit.

Titty Meat 03-04-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider2YBanana (Post 12767718)
Almost a 4.9 for Kizer.

Slower than I thought.

He's not very good

RunKC 03-04-2017 11:39 AM

SiriusXM NFL Radio

Jim Miller on Brad Kaaya: Thats a guy you can develop! Clean footwork, makes ALL the throws... Kirwan: I'd like to have him on MY team

Underrated QB choice for Chiefs IMO

KChiefs1 03-04-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12767894)
SiriusXM NFL Radio

Jim Miller on Brad Kaaya: Thats a guy you can develop! Clean footwork, makes ALL the throws... Kirwan: I'd like to have him on MY team

Underrated QB choice for Chiefs IMO

Brad Kaaya, Miami
Games Played: 38 |
Passer Efficiency Rating: 150.3 |
AY/A: 8.9

Top Statistical Comp: Byron Leftwich

Brad Kaaya's reputation with scouts doesn't seem to be overly rosy as Kiper listed him fifth among these players. But when it comes to statistics, he's the closest we've got to fitting the blueprint.

The big thing working in Kaaya's favor is his number of games played. As you'll recall, we're looking for guys with around 36 games played, and he's the only guy in this class who exceeds that number. In this department, Kaaya is solid. His efficiency, though, leaves something to be desired.

Kaaya's passer efficiency rating ranks fourth of our five quarterbacks. If we combine this group of five with the 55 other first-round pick quarterbacks since 1995, Kaaya ranks just 39th. It's also right in the range where we saw busts in the previous slide.

His AY/A is a bit more favorable, sitting 31st in this group of 60 and third among the incoming quarterbacks. However, it still falls a bit short of what we're looking for. You can see why this draft class presents a dilemma: the only guy with the requisite level of experience had mediocre efficiency. It's hard to get too excited about any of the crop.

There is a bit of a saving grace, though, for Kaaya in that he plays in the ACC. This is the same conference as both Trubisky and Watson, meaning we can check out how they each fared when facing common opponents. Kaaya and Trubisky faced seven common teams this year, and here's how they performed in those contests.

Against Common OpponentsAttemptsYardsTouchdownsInterceptionsAY/A
Brad Kaaya2382,0441539.28
Mitch Trubisky2512,1321849.21

And here's how Kaaya compared against five common opponents to Watson.

Against Common OpponentsAttemptsYardsTouchdownsInterceptionsAY/A
Brad Kaaya1741,420928.68
DeShaun Watson2471,9281287.32

If you're looking at raw yardage, you're not going to be Kaaya's biggest fan. However, he did get more bang for his buck thanks to a higher yards per attempt and AY/A while successfully avoiding interceptions. He had higher efficiency than both of these guys while facing the same defenses, and he tops both in games played. That's a glimmer of hope.

Kaaya's basic draft profile is this: gobs of experience without overwhelming efficiency. How does that fit into the mold? We can take a peak by looking at quarterbacks with a similar profile coming out.

Of the past 55 quarterbacks selected in the first round, 23 of them had started between 34 and 42 games (four games in each direction from Kaaya). Two of those had an AY/A near Kaaya's. Here's a look at Kaaya's profile side by side with theirs.

QuarterbackGamesPass. Eff. RatAY/A
Byron Leftwich36156.59
Brad Kaaya38150.38.9
Blake Bortles34163.48.8

This is why Leftwich wound up being Kaaya's top comp as they're relatively close across the board. Blake Bortles is far from being a flattering second choice, never finishing higher than 19th in Total NEP in his three qualified seasons, including a 28th-place finish this year.

The positive of Kaaya is that his questions will likely come at a discount. Because he's held in much lower regard, he'll likely wind up being available on either the second or third day of the draft, so the costs of potential shortcomings are less extreme. He has the experience you want, and his efficiency was above that of both Trubisky and Watson against common opponents. That should be enough to justify a gamble later on, even if he's far from being a surefire stud.

KChiefs1 03-04-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12764607)

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
Games Played: 30 |
Passer Efficiency Rating: 157.0 |
AY/A: 9.2

Top Statistical Comp: Steve McNair

If we were judging this based just on collegiate efficiency, then Patrick Mahomes would hold the top spot. He had the best AY/A in the class, and his passer efficiency rating was second by a hair. With the discrepancy between Kaaya and Mahomes in games played, though, Mahomes slides down to a respectable second.

Mahomes took big strides between his 2015 sophomore season and last year in limiting interceptions, something that helped vault him to the top of this list. He threw 15 picks as a sophomore, leading the Big 12, but he cut that to 10 this year despite adding 18 more total attempts. When you couple that with a gaudy 41 touchdowns, it's easy to see how his AY/A got so meaty.

This isn't to say he cowers over previous first-round picks, though. Going back to our group of 60 candidates, Mahomes ranks 26th in AY/A and 29th in passer efficiency rating. This is all while starting for just two-plus seasons, limiting him to 30 games played. Even the elite in this class bring some serious questions.

Whenever Mahomes' name is brought up this draft season, you can bet someone will make mention of his playing in the Big 12. This isn't a conference known for stellar defense, potentially tainting his efficiency stats. Looking back at how past Big 12 first-round picks have fared likely won't help his case.

Since 1995, there have been seven quarterbacks from the Big 12 drafted in the first round. Here's a look at how they've fared in the NFL through the eyes of NEP, again focusing on top-15 seasons in years in which they had at least 200 drop backs.

QuarterbackSchoolTop-15 NEP SeasonsQualified Seasons
Robert Griffin IIIBaylor13
Sam BradfordOklahoma16
Vince YoungTexas13
Brandon WeedenOklahoma State02
Josh FreemanKansas State14
Ryan TannehillTexas A&M15
Blaine GabbertMissouri03

In 26 qualified seasons, former Big 12 quarterbacks have finished in the top 15 in Total NEP just five times. Sam Bradford didn't get his first top-15 finish until this year. You can bet Mahomes is going to hear about this, whether it's fair or not.

Perhaps it's fitting, then, that Mahomes' top comp is the late Steve McNair, who played his college ball at Alcorn State, which was -- at the time -- Division I-AA. His stats there weren't anything otherworldly, either, and he and Mahomes line up well across the board.

QuarterbackGamesPass. Eff. Rat.AY/A
Steve McNair33155.49.0
Patrick Mahomes30157.09.2

McNair was a tremendous NFL player despite putting up just decent stats against lower-level competition in college; it's probably not right to write off Mahomes simply because he played in an offensive-minded conference.

Mahomes is similar to Kaaya in that he's not likely to cost a team a first-round pick. That makes any warts and worries he may present less frightening. He showed some reasons for excitement when he was at Texas Tech, and it would seem fully justifiable to target him at some point beyond the first round.

Quesadilla Joe 03-04-2017 07:03 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Among the top QBs, as they leave Indy, consensus among teams I talked to was that Clemson&#39;s Deshaun Watson had the strongest week overall.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/838192862621806592">March 5, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And that&#39;s including the whole deal -- interviews, on-field work, testing, etc.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/838193282865905664">March 5, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thing that teams liked about Watson in interviews: Asked why teams should draft him, Watson prioritized team accomplishments on his resume.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/838193999819202560">March 5, 2017</a></blockquote>

KChiefs1 03-05-2017 03:44 PM

https://youtu.be/NVd-GRvphAM

MahiMike 03-05-2017 05:02 PM

I'm leaning towards all or nothing on Watson. At least he's a winner. That's something that can't be measured enough.

Plus, the likeness to Alex Smith makes him a good fit.

RunKC 03-06-2017 02:04 PM

Josh Dobbs is intriguing. Solid body, outstanding athleticism, solid arm, pro style QB.

47.7% completion percentage and 14 TD's from throws of 21+yards. That's damn good.

staylor26 03-06-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12770628)
Josh Dobbs is intriguing. Solid body, outstanding athleticism, solid arm, pro style QB.

47.7% completion percentage and 14 TD's from throws of 21+yards. That's damn good.

After the top 4, Dobbs and Kaaya are the most intriguing IMO

O.city 03-06-2017 03:56 PM

This draft is so stacked all the way thru, I'm starting to lean towards punting on the Qb this year. If they're gonna go with Smith next year which it appears they are, just keep building the roster.

A similar haul to the last 2 years would be a really huge building block.

DJ's left nut 03-06-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12770816)
This draft is so stacked all the way thru, I'm starting to lean towards punting on the Qb this year. If they're gonna go with Smith next year which it appears they are, just keep building the roster.

Yeah, I hate it, but I'm off the trade-up bandwagon. The draft's just too good everywhere else this year.

It isn't a "this year's QB class sucks" thing; I feel like this class is largely average. It's just that the rest of this draft is so damn deep. There are going to be OLBs, Ss and CBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds that will start and play extremely well next season. WR and RB looks awfully deep and this is probably the most athletic group of TEs in history.

There are going to be some damn good players in this draft. Now, if Mahomes, Kizer or Watson are sitting there at 27, I'd definitely give them strong consideration (sadly, Kizer has fallen to the bottom of my list; bad feet, seemed almost disinterested at the combine), but I don't think we can justify moving significant draft capital to move up.

Hell, the 'depth' theme of this draft extends to the QBs. There's not a ton of ceiling here but there's as much mid-round talent as you'll ever see with guys like Webb, Dobbs and Peterman, not to mention guys I personally hate like Kelly and Kaaya. I'm not convinced that you're orders of magnitude more likely to get a great QB in the first this year than you are in the 3rd or 4th.

ToxSocks 03-06-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12770816)

11 picks. No reason we can't do both.

O.city 03-06-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12770848)
11 picks. No reason we can't do both.

I just don't think I'd go giving up high rounders to move up for any of these QBs.

As DJLN has said, there are just so many good prospects in this draft. It's a great draft to start getting some legit high end talent for really cheap.

CB, RB, TE, ILB etc.

O.city 03-06-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12770847)
Yeah, I hate it, but I'm off the trade-up bandwagon. The draft's just too good everywhere else this year.

It isn't a "this year's QB class sucks" thing; I feel like this class is largely average. It's just that the rest of this draft is so damn deep. There are going to be OLBs, Ss and CBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds that will start and play extremely well next season. WR and RB looks awfully deep and this is probably the most athletic group of TEs in history.

There are going to be some damn good players in this draft. Now, if Mahomes, Kizer or Watson are sitting there at 27, I'd definitely give them strong consideration (sadly, Kizer has fallen to the bottom of my list; bad feet, seemed almost disinterested at the combine), but I don't think we can justify moving significant draft capital to move up.

Hell, the 'depth' theme of this draft extends to the QBs. There's not a ton of ceiling here but there's as much mid-round talent as you'll ever see with guys like Webb, Dobbs and Peterman, not to mention guys I personally hate like Kelly and Kaaya. I'm not convinced that you're orders of magnitude more likely to get a great QB in the first this year than you are in the 3rd or 4th.

Sure, if one falls to them that they love, I'm all for it.

But if they can duplicate the last 2 drafts with this much talent, it will be instrumental in turning the cap situation around and really solidifying this thing.

BryanBusby 03-06-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12770885)
I just don't think I'd go giving up high rounders to move up for any of these QBs.

As DJLN has said, there are just so many good prospects in this draft. It's a great draft to start getting some legit high end talent for really cheap.

CB, RB, TE, ILB etc.

Have no idea why you really need to move up to get a QB. If anything, they would be overdrafting by taking one at 27 and would have the flexibility to move down.

O.city 03-06-2017 04:51 PM

I actually agree somewhat. I think we could see a 2013 all over again, where teh QB's go much lower than everyone seems to think.

kccrow 03-06-2017 04:55 PM

I have no problem with the team giving up their 3rd to get to 20/21 if there is a QB there they really like. If they go higher, and have to give up a 2nd, I'm not so high on that.

BryanBusby 03-06-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12770917)
I actually agree somewhat. I think we could see a 2013 all over again, where teh QB's go much lower than everyone seems to think.

Seems prospects are being projected correctly, but CP overhypes all of them.

Titty Meat 03-06-2017 05:57 PM

DJ and Ocity welcome aboard bruhs

staylor26 03-06-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12771066)
DJ and Ocity welcome aboard bruhs

They're not against drafting a QB though

Titty Meat 03-06-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12771154)
They're not against drafting a QB though

Nobody is Staylor.

staylor26 03-06-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12771495)
Nobody is Staylor.

Haven't you been screaming wait till next year?

bsp4444 03-06-2017 08:53 PM

Anyone talking about Chad Kelly from Ole Miss?

YayMike 03-07-2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12770928)
I have no problem with the team giving up their 3rd to get to 20/21 if there is a QB there they really like. If they go higher, and have to give up a 2nd, I'm not so high on that.

For the first time on this topic, even though you wouldn't know it since I rarely post, you and I disagree. We are going to get a 3rd for Poe next year, and who knows what else. Trading a future pick is the way to go if we see the guy we want in the mid teens.

I really would like Watson to slip a bit and us JUMP up to get him, even if it costs next year's first. If that doesn't happen, and Mahomes slides, we can use the 3rd to jump up, or more if necessary. The key is using next year's picks as well as the many comps we have this year.

Just my two cents..

Titty Meat 03-07-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12771524)
Haven't you been screaming wait till next year?

My official position is draft the best player avaliable round 1. There are too many better players at other positions. Every QB in this draft is a project although I do like Watson who will be gone when the Chiefs pick. If they take a QB in the 2nd round I won't be pissed but I think continuing to build the roster and add depth is the way to go. The 2017 season is a throw away year.

kcchiefsus 03-07-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12772050)
My official position is draft the best player avaliable round 1. There are too many better players at other positions. Every QB in this draft is a project although I do like Watson who will be gone when the Chiefs pick. If they take a QB in the 2nd round I won't be pissed but I think continuing to build the roster and add depth is the way to go. The 2017 season is a throw away year.

So when or how do you suggest we find a quarterback?

Titty Meat 03-07-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 12772133)
So when or how do you suggest we find a quarterback?

Like I've said before 18' is loaded with QB talent. Jimmy G. And Cousins will also be free agents. Take your pick.