ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV AVATAR 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310339)

ThaVirus 01-14-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16073575)
Anything with colonialism in modern Hollywood that is negative is white guilt/boo the white man. That is the subtext.

It is pretty blatant.

If you want to be a victim that badly then carry on. You're def being too sensitive though.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-14-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16074190)
If you want to be a victim that badly then carry on. You're def being too sensitive though.

Haha. The victim card. Typical. You don't have a credible response so you tapout via a lame insult.

Where did I whine? I merely pointed out the typical Hollywood tropes. Colonialism is seen as a negative by academia and Hollywood. Hilarious considering America or the modern world (of which both institutions profit from) wouldn't exist without it.

That is what Avatar was. A what if the pure and innocent indigenous people were able to fight off those evil Europeans fantasy with a environmental lesson.

People who pretend that the movie is something different amuse me.

Frazod 01-14-2022 01:48 PM

For anybody who thinks mocking Avatar became fashionable years later, here's the first thing I posted about it after returning from the theater back in 2010.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 6406486)
Just got back from watching Dances with the Last Blue Braveheart Alien Samurai-er.... I mean, Avatar.

I divide this film into the first third and the last two-thirds.

The first third was visionary, magnificent, wide-eyed wonder the likes of which I haven't seen since the first time I saw Star Wars back in 1977. The special effects are every bit as next-level as I was led to believe.

But the last two-thirds of this movie was ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE poor noble savages v. evile white douchebags story we've seen time and time again. There's no need to hide this in a spoiler, because if you've seen Dances With Wolves, and The Last Samurai, and Braveheart, you've all ready seen Avatar. Hell, Cameron even rips himself off with healthy doses of Alien (apparently Jeanette Goldstein is now too old to play the Jeanette Goldstein role, so Michelle Rodriquez has stepped in).

Seriously, I could have written the script as I went along. I knew everything that was coming. EVERYTHING. Either I'm a psychic genious, or this was the most unoriginal story put to film in years.

To tie such breathtaking FX with such a lame been there/done that story, seriously, it's damn near criminal.

**** you Cameron. 4321

unlurking 01-14-2022 02:16 PM

So just to be clear, we can never have a movie or a story about an advanced society attacking a primitive society without it being deemed white guilt? That seems a bit...weak.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-14-2022 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16074280)
So just to be clear, we can never have a movie or a story about an advanced society attacking a primitive society without it being deemed white guilt? That seems a bit...weak.

Strawman alert.

Who said that? No one.

The context of the story determines it. Avatar clearly operates on the concept that colonialism was nothing but evil Europeans taking away resources and lands from those poor innocent natives. It is an allegory in space with clear themes.

Not every advanced/primitive society story involves colonialism but Avatar does.

unlurking 01-14-2022 08:25 PM

How is it different between any non-white conflict? When farmers from Bolivia, Columbia, Brazil, etc. burn down swaths of rain forest and push out local tribes, is that also "European Colonialism"? Is every story involving a bully usurping the weak an allegory for "European Colonialism"?

I'm seriously asking here. I just don't get it. Early American atrocities against native peoples is not unique. I mean, genocides are occurring all the time on this planet. Why does everything have to be considered an attack on America?

ThaVirus 01-14-2022 11:28 PM

Like I said, dude just wants to be a victim. Imagine being a white dude in America crying about a fantasy flick lol

He's also ignoring the other trope in the film of the white savior.

Chiefspants 01-15-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16074221)
For anybody who thinks mocking Avatar became fashionable years later, here's the first thing I posted about it after returning from the theater back in 2010.

Honest trailers has one of their better takes on this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eUTtt14G31c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crayzkirk 01-15-2022 02:27 PM

Ferngully 2?

It was entertaining enough until the story got predictable; I wasn't really sure how to take the 'connection' angle with the tail thing. It seemed really inappropriate in the context of the film.

I have the Blu-Ray however I don't think I would play it just to watch it like I would some other movies like Terminator or Aliens.

Even after knowing what is supposed to be happening in 2001, I still have no idea how the audience is supposed to understand why HAL was killing everyone or what the whole acid trip through the monolith was about.

Frazod 01-15-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 16075572)
Ferngully 2?

It was entertaining enough until the story got predictable; I wasn't really sure how to take the 'connection' angle with the tail thing. It seemed really inappropriate in the context of the film.

I have the Blu-Ray however I don't think I would play it just to watch it like I would some other movies like Terminator or Aliens.

Even after knowing what is supposed to be happening in 2001, I still have no idea how the audience is supposed to understand why HAL was killing everyone or what the whole acid trip through the monolith was about.

Funny you should mention 2001. That's another perpetually overrated piece of crap starring groundbreaking special effects and little else. The story, as presented, was largely incomprehensible (although at least it was original), and the lead actors' performances were so wooden that their noses would have grown had they lied. And that interminable final sequence - hey, look a bunch of long helicopter shots over barren landscapes with the colors skewed - woohoo isn't this neat? I remember getting flashbacks of that while watching the equally bad first Star Trek movie.

I did enjoy the book, though. And I loved the sequel, 2010, which featured a solid, understandable plot and world class actors.

Frazod 01-15-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 16075503)
Honest trailers has one of their better takes on this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eUTtt14G31c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I've seen that before. Definitely spot on. LMAO

crayzkirk 01-15-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16075587)
Funny you should mention 2001. That's another perpetually overrated piece of crap starring groundbreaking special effects and little else. The story, as presented, was largely incomprehensible (although at least it was original), and the lead actors' performances were so wooden that their noses would have grown had they lied. And that interminable final sequence - hey, look a bunch of long helicopter shots over barren landscapes with the colors skewed - woohoo isn't this neat? I remember getting flashbacks of that while watching the equally bad first Star Trek movie.

I did enjoy the book, though. And I loved the sequel, 2010, which featured a solid, understandable plot and world class actors.

2010 was a much better movie that closed a lot of the plot holes in the first one. Lithgow was a bit over the top though. Enjoyed them giving HAL another chance and explaining why he went insane. 2001 had a very good sound track and a lot of models getting plenty of screen time. It was really hard to understand WTF was going on most of the time.

The first ST movie was such a disappointment; I remember getting tickets and being so excited and got stoned to see it and after about 20 minutes we fell asleep in the theater.

The third book wasn't very good from what I recall.

Frazod 01-15-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 16075620)
2010 was a much better movie that closed a lot of the plot holes in the first one. Lithgow was a bit over the top though. Enjoyed them giving HAL another chance and explaining why he went insane. 2001 had a very good sound track and a lot of models getting plenty of screen time. It was really hard to understand WTF was going on most of the time.

The first ST movie was such a disappointment; I remember getting tickets and being so excited and got stoned to see it and after about 20 minutes we fell asleep in the theater.

The third book wasn't very good from what I recall.

There was a fourth book as well, set 1,000 years in the future. I read both of them decades ago, but frankly don't remember all that much about them, except that Frank Poole was the main character in the last one (his body was found floating in space and revived).

Sure-Oz 01-15-2022 05:06 PM

Definitely will see it for the theatrical experience. That was pretty cool for the first one.

Bowser 01-15-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16075653)
There was a fourth book as well, set 1,000 years in the future. I read both of them decades ago, but frankly don't remember all that much about them, except that Frank Poole was the main character in the last one (his body was found floating in space and revived).

I had forgotten all about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3001:_The_Final_Odyssey

Frazod 01-15-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16076163)

It's funny, one of the very few things I remember about that book was the first time Poole was with a woman, she freaked out because he was circumcised and wouldn't **** him. LMAO

Sure-Oz 05-09-2022 01:50 PM

@officialavatar: “Wherever we go, this family is our fortress.”

Watch the brand-new teaser trailer for #Avatar: The Way of Water. Experience it only in theaters December 16, 2022. https://twitter.com/officialavatar/s...043649/video/1

I'll go see this in theaters in 3D.

ThaVirus 05-09-2022 02:18 PM

Excellent music.

I don't give a shit what anyone says about this franchise, I love it. And James Cameron is a wizard with sequels so I'll be there opening weekend.

BigRedChief 05-10-2022 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 16287699)
@officialavatar: “Wherever we go, this family is our fortress.”

Watch the brand-new teaser trailer for #Avatar: The Way of Water. Experience it only in theaters December 16, 2022. https://twitter.com/officialavatar/s...043649/video/1

I'll go see this in theaters in 3D.

Don't know about 3D. Always seems dare to me.

That trailer shows a major leap forward in CGI. Amazing details in motion. I'll want to see this on the big screen.

sully1983 05-10-2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16288330)

That trailer shows a major leap forward in CGI. Amazing details in motion. I'll want to see this on the big screen.

^^^
You'll definitely want to see Avatar 2 in IMAX 3D (to get the proper cinematic experience that its intended for. I assure you the 3D is going to be jaw dropping. It was in the 1st one . I'm sure it'll be even more incredible in 2022)

The short teaser definitely got me hyped and I really liked the under water shots. I do wish James Cameron would have just called it Avatar 2 instead of Avatar The Way of Water:rolleyes: which sounds so cringe worthy lol.

Also FTR, I can completely understand how some folks wouldn't be into Avatar. Without getting political, James Cameron does hit the audience over the head with some really heavy handed save the environmental messages which I'm sure annoyed quite a few people which is perfectly understandable.

For me though, I just view Avatar as a highly stylized sci fi action/adventure epic and I think the sequel is going to be a blast to see in IMAX 3D.

sully1983 05-10-2022 08:43 AM

I still wish Chris Pine got the role as the lead in Avatar.

For those that don't know, Pine apparently bombed his audition for Avatar and he joked about it an interview years ago.

Quote:

“I have a feeling that story will haunt me for the rest of my life,” the actor told Red Eye Chicago of his Avatar audition. “It’s one of those things – sometimes you can leave your car in Burbank, Los Angeles and walk into a conference room and your back is sweating and you’re thinking about the laundry that you have to do and somehow seamlessly you can then pretend to be a man in a loincloth standing in front of blue people saying lines like, ‘Come follow me! I’ll save you!’ And sometimes you just can’t buy it. I walked into that room absolutely not believing myself. How dare I put that poor casting director through the experience of watching me? Halfway through, I just stopped; she was maybe smiling or laughing at me. I didn’t take offence to it because I was pretty bad. I shook hands with her, and out I walked.”

And despite the fact that he still believes that his next audition was just as bad (“It was all this jargon talk of torpedoes and photons”), Chris Pine actually walked right into the other big sci-fi flick of 2009: J.J Abrams’ Star Trek.
https://www.filmink.com.au/close-cas...ine-in-avatar/

Pine is one of my favorite young actors so I would have loved having him in the lead role (way more charismatic , likable and great comedic timing)

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-10-2022 12:52 PM

Great. Ferngully 3.0 in space.

Frazod 05-10-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 16288471)

For those that don't know, Pine apparently bombed his audition for Avatar and he joked about it an interview years ago.

Pine is one of my favorite young actors so I would have loved having him in the lead role (way more charismatic , likable and great comedic timing)

Jar Jar Abram's Star Trek movies were basically crap, but they were all better than Avatar. Pine is an excellent Kirk.

Sure-Oz 05-10-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16288330)

Did you see the first one in theaters in imax 3d? It was pretty incredible and I'm not a big 3d guy. It was designed for 3d.
The cgi definitely looks great...but they'll need this to blow it out of the water with most movies now are up to speed on effects when they weren't in 2009.

Rausch 05-10-2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 16288908)
Did you see the first one in theaters in imax 3d? It was pretty incredible and I'm not a big 3d guy. It was designed for 3d.
The cgi definitely looks great...but they'll need this to blow it out of the water with most movies now are up to speed on effects when they weren't in 2009.

I've been out of the game too long. How do you find a good shroom dealer these days?...

Sure-Oz 05-10-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16289177)
I've been out of the game too long. How do you find a good shroom dealer these days?...

Lol

Valiant 05-14-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 16288471)

Young? He is old now

Chief Pagan 05-14-2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 16288455)
^^^
You'll definitely want to see Avatar 2 in IMAX 3D (to get the proper cinematic experience that its intended for. I assure you the 3D is going to be jaw dropping. It was in the 1st one . I'm sure it'll be even more incredible in 2022)

The short teaser definitely got me hyped and I really liked the under water shots. I do wish James Cameron would have just called it Avatar 2 instead of Avatar The Way of Water:rolleyes: which sounds so cringe worthy lol.

Also FTR, I can completely understand how some folks wouldn't be into Avatar. Without getting political, James Cameron does hit the audience over the head with some really heavy handed save the environmental messages which I'm sure annoyed quite a few people which is perfectly understandable.

For me though, I just view Avatar as a highly stylized sci fi action/adventure epic and I think the sequel is going to be a blast to see in IMAX 3D.

I agree that the way to see it would be during its opening run at IMAX 3D.

And I could imagine it being a fun time with mind blowing cinematic experience. I enjoyed seeing the first Avatar at IMAX 3D in a non sober state of mind.

And twenty years from now Avater 2 will be just as lame as other previously mind blowing special effect movies like 2001, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, any of the King Kong films from the 1930's on, the original Avatar, 95% of Hollywood action films etc.

Oh actually, Roger Rabbit is actually a pretty good film with or without special effects.

Gravedigger 12-13-2022 12:52 PM

84% on 88 reviews. Not bad.

BWillie 12-13-2022 03:52 PM

Really looking forward to Avatar 2. Going to see it on Saturday night. Not sure how much I'll like it as what I liked most about the first one was the human to blue alien consciousness transfer element.

Hopefully Giovanni Ribisi's character is still a big role. This was a funny part to me. "What the hell have you people been smoking out there? They are just god damn trees"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZleU1WXLqDs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 12-13-2022 03:54 PM

Will you be paying $20 dollars for a popcorn and soda?

Kiimo 12-13-2022 08:41 PM

I didn't like the first one but the Ferngully script is gone and apparently this is far superior.

It's gonna make a gabillionty dollars

Gravedigger 12-14-2022 09:26 AM

It's interesting, over here at B&B Theaters they have a gajillion shows, from 9am onward this weekend so my wife and I were trying to figure out when we wanted to go see it. Tons of times were still wide open though so I'm not sure if this movie will have the desired affect of box office opening weekend they want it to. Looking forward to go seeing it, but didn't James Cameron say this had to be one of the top 5 grossing movies of all time in order to make a profit?

Pants 12-14-2022 10:03 PM

Last time I was this hyped for a movie was Dune.

Can't ****ing WAIT to experience this.

Avatar was an incredible ride and this one is exponentially better by all accounts.

Pants 12-14-2022 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 16666090)
It's interesting, over here at B&B Theaters they have a gajillion shows, from 9am onward this weekend so my wife and I were trying to figure out when we wanted to go see it. Tons of times were still wide open though so I'm not sure if this movie will have the desired affect of box office opening weekend they want it to. Looking forward to go seeing it, but didn't James Cameron say this had to be one of the top 5 grossing movies of all time in order to make a profit?

Don't worry. Word of mouth will do its thing like it did back in 2009. People will watch these 3 hours multiple times too. Again, just like in 2009.

Pants 12-14-2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 16665721)
I didn't like the first one but the Ferngully script is gone and apparently this is far superior.

It's gonna make a gabillionty dollars

Your first mistake is going in there expecting a script. Do you expect a script when you strap yourself into a Universal Orlando ride?

Go in there and get sucked into the world and just experience the damn spectacle, man.

KC_Connection 12-15-2022 02:46 AM

James Cameron seems pretty confident it will be a hit. I'm pretty confident I'll end up seeing it at some point in the next few weeks (and I barely go to theatres anymore), so he might be right.

BigCatDaddy 12-16-2022 12:28 PM

I apparently was one of the few that thought the first one sucked and don't get the hype.

BWillie 12-16-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 16669443)
I apparently was one of the few that thought the first one sucked and don't get the hype.

Nickelback, Imagine Dragons, Limp Bizkit effect. Media that was popular at the time albeit slightly overrated and commericially lauded - then somehow becomes underrated later.

Sassy Squatch 12-16-2022 10:30 PM

Pretty good all around but...

Spoiler!

MarkDavis'Haircut 12-18-2022 08:50 AM

Ferngully 3.0

Just Passin' By 12-19-2022 02:57 PM

James Cameron Flips the Bird to Autograph-Seekers ... After 'Avatar' Screening

Not the best publicity he could have gotten

ToxSocks 12-19-2022 03:05 PM

I feel like this movie took so damn long to produce that the technology not only caught it, but surpassed it.

From a tech standpoint, the CGI looks like everything else that's came out of Hollywood the last several years.

Frazod 12-19-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 16678642)

I think it's fairly well established at this point that Cameron is a giant douche.

Urc Burry 12-20-2022 11:37 AM

I’m a hallucinogen noob. Went with a buddy and thought I was taking a half gram of shrooms. It was a full one. But wowwww was it an experience. About shit myself on the jump scare. And he cried his eyes out. Luckily no one noticed because of the glasses.

Will report back on my first sober viewing. But man was it visually stunning

ToxSocks 12-20-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 16680107)
I’m a hallucinogen noob. Went with a buddy and thought I was taking a half gram of shrooms. It was a full one. But wowwww was it an experience. About shit myself on the jump scare. And he cried his eyes out. Luckily no one noticed because of the glasses.

Will report back on my first sober viewing. But man was it visually stunning

I couldn't imagine being in a theater on shrooms. Even if it's just a 1-gram micro dose.

Shrooms are an emotion multiplier.

Kinda annoyed = super ****ing annoyed

Kinda emo = crying your eyes out

Kinda anxious = if i don't get out of this seat imma ****ing explode

Urc Burry 12-21-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16680696)
I couldn't imagine being in a theater on shrooms. Even if it's just a 1-gram micro dose.

Shrooms are an emotion multiplier.

Kinda annoyed = super ****ing annoyed

Kinda emo = crying your eyes out

Kinda anxious = if i don't get out of this seat imma ****ing explode

For sure.

I had a chocolate bar and thought the squares were .25 a piece. And they were .5. I had a little bit of the inner monologue, which I hate. Because I always talk myself into me being reeruned. But it still ended up being a good time. I just wanted to take .5 for the increased senses, and you avoid over thinking everything

Kiimo 12-21-2022 12:27 PM

The last time I did mushrooms was with about 7 friends in an A-frame mountain cabin during a storm with no lights on but a roaring fire creating dancing lights everywhere and a re-watch of the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl on the TV.

Highly highly recommend. :)

Hammock Parties 12-25-2022 09:54 PM

****ing amazing

the blue sea monkeys made me cry and that ****ing whalien

Hammock Parties 12-25-2022 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16678664)
I feel like this movie took so damn long to produce that the technology not only caught it, but surpassed it.

From a tech standpoint, the CGI looks like everything else that's came out of Hollywood the last several years.

nope

best CGI I've ever seen in a movie

some of the lighting in the movie was absolutely unreal

kcpasco 12-25-2022 11:10 PM

It looked great but still just a meh story. Probably won’t ever watch it again.

Hammock Parties 12-25-2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 16689372)
It looked great but still just a meh story. Probably won’t ever watch it again.

and that's OK!

it was a treat - james cameron knows how to make a ****ing movie

this had aliens, titanic and abyss shit all over it, and i loved it

i'd love to see them expand on the magic whale brain jizz that stops human aging for the sequel

Hammock Parties 12-25-2022 11:26 PM

also, the barbie trailer played before my showing and that is going to be a must see

aping 2001's bone spinning scene was just perfect LMAO

Hammock Parties 12-26-2022 12:24 AM

apparently the action scenes were filmed in 48 fps

definitely made a difference

DrunkBassGuitar 12-26-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16689188)
nope

best CGI I've ever seen in a movie

some of the lighting in the movie was absolutely unreal

Did you see it in 3D?

Hammock Parties 12-27-2022 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar (Post 16690173)
Did you see it in 3D?

will never watch that terrible shit

BWillie 12-27-2022 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16690661)
will never watch that terrible shit

That is one of the points of the movie. I am no fan of 3d but remember watching the 1st one in 3d and it was incredible

DrunkBassGuitar 12-27-2022 08:03 AM

yeah I saw it in 3D, it was cool at some points but it kind of gave the whole movie a playstation/xbox cutscene vibe which was distracting, wouldn't recommend.

Hammock Parties 12-27-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16690674)
That is one of the points of the movie. I am no fan of 3d but remember watching the 1st one in 3d and it was incredible

shit destroys the picture

Hammock Parties 12-27-2022 09:21 PM

movie getting dragged on reddit LMAO

"hey kid, it's not that kinda movie"

Quote:

I enjoyed the film. The visuals were stunning. However, I get that sci-fi is often a cautionary tale, but I thought some more macro things about the universe were improbable.

Human technology has evolved to the point of cloning, mind uploading, and advanced synthetic biology, but the low morality imperialist military doesn't resort to drones, strategic and blanket air strikes, nano-bots, railguns from space, and biological warfare?

We can't artificially synthesize the Pandora whale "ambergris" that pauses human aging?

We can build all these spaceships, but we can't fix the biosphere on Earth? We're not mining the asteroid belt and colonizing Mars while moving heavy industry into low Earth orbit with robotic factories?

Why didn't the colonel call in backup once he laid the trap? I guess the military strategy was to cut off the head of the snake by taking out the leading insurgent and they didn't want to escalate, but the overmatch was such that they needn't worry if they were using standoff weapons.

Did humanity even try to negotiate peaceful coexistence? Since humans can't breathe the atmosphere, they'd be confined to dense cities. This would only need to take up part of Pandora. They could use their genetic engineering tech to eventually hybridize and become more like the natives. The movie assumes humans aren't adaptable and have a colonial mentality along with Vietnam Era ethics. We change. We grow. We tame our environment as it alters us.

Pants 12-28-2022 10:44 PM

Seeing it for the second time tomorrow.

Chief Pagan 12-29-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16691830)
movie getting dragged on reddit LMAO

"hey kid, it's not that kinda movie"

So you going to apply the same logic to Star Trek/Star Wars?

Faster than light speed of travel..., but...

Why aren't the computers/killer robots yet faster than humans?

Magical fantasy worlds make more sense than sci-fi because...

Magic.

Nickhead 12-29-2022 03:38 AM

i don't need to see the movie to realise it's shit...

movies have become wayyyyyyyyyy too predictable...

it's like music now: all notes have been played. it's just the matter of masking it enough to make it seem somewhat original :cuss:

Pants 12-30-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 16694063)
i don't need to see the movie to realise it's shit...

it's like music now: all notes have been played. it's just the matter of masking it enough to make it seem somewhat original :cuss:

So because the story is predictable, Avatar 2 is shit? LMAO

Bro, it's an incredible movie and you're missing out.

BWillie 12-30-2022 11:07 AM

As others have said, very predictable movie but it is enjoyable. I don't know what Clay is talking about in terms of 3D...this is absolutely a movie you want to see in 3D. The visuals were amazing. 8 out of 10.

Hammock Parties 12-30-2022 12:28 PM

3D ****ing sucks. It dims the picture and is hard to watch.

Movies should never be watched in 3D.

Hammock Parties 12-30-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 16695556)
So because the story is predictable, Avatar 2 is shit? LMAO

Bro, it's an incredible movie and you're missing out.

This was a cinematic experience.

Pants 12-30-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16695718)
This was a cinematic experience.

For sure. And I agree with you about 3D in general but James Cameron nails it, man. I saw it twice at the AMC28 in Olathe on their IMAX screen in 3D and it's incredible.

Will probably watch on that Dolby screen in 2D in the Town Center AMC one more time before it goes away.

Frazod 12-30-2022 12:48 PM

I thought the 3D stuff was far and away the best part of the original; that really put it over the top. Otherwise it was just the same old CGI stuff that even back then had become fairly commonplace.

Holladay 12-30-2022 11:04 PM

Quote:

Just got back from watching the film.

Decent/good film, cinematography was very nice, dragged a bit in places, 3h12m long!. If you look at your watch during a movie, it is not worth the $20.

If you have a decent large flat screen with surround sound, I would wait until it comes out streaming. That way you can drink your beer, pause and take a piss, smoke your cigar, and get a BJ if the significant other is so inclined.

I am finding that going to the movies is not worth the time and money now days with all the other options available.

My 2 cents. Glad I went, wouldn't do it again.

Screw the spoiler, it seems that there is a crap load more coming...."the next three Avatar films will be named, Avatar: The Seed Bearer, Avatar: The Tulkun Rider and Avatar: The Quest for Eywa."

Spoiler!

MarkDavis'Haircut 12-31-2022 10:28 AM

Movie is not good.

Hammock Parties 12-31-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16696642)
Movie is not good.

it's an amazing experience that has to be seen in a theater

cameron harps on the fact that people are not going to movie theaters anymore and instead like to sit at home streaming shit

that is offensive to an artist like cameron, who's movies are MADE to be seen on the big screen

this had to be seen in a theater to be appreciated

Holladay 12-31-2022 12:13 PM

I understand your take, but in front of my 75" flat screen in the basement with a decent/good 5.1 Pinnacle speakers with a wet bar and a toilet beats $20 for popcorn and a coke in most cases.

Gone is your grandpas' 19" tube TV.

Combine all of the above and

Quote:

Movie is not good.
You can put only so much lipstick on a pig.

Just my opinion though.

Urc Burry 12-31-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 16696878)
I understand your take, but in front of my 75" flat screen in the basement with a decent/good 5.1 Pinnacle speakers with a wet bar and a toilet beats $20 for popcorn and a coke in most cases.

Gone is your grandpas' 19" tube TV.

Combine all of the above and

You can put only so much lipstick on a pig.

Just my opinion though.

It doesn’t compare to a 100+ft imax theater with no distractions.

And I’m not a big theater guy. The Batman is the only other movie I’ve watched in theaters since the start of Covid. And I’m about to see Avatar for a second time. I probably watched the original Avatar in one sitting at home the same amount as I did in theaters which is twice.

This isn’t about the story in Avatar 2 or whatever, it’s about the viewing. And if you have any desire to see the movie, IMO it must be done in theaters. And IMAX if possible

007 12-31-2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 16696946)
It doesn’t compare to a 100+ft imax theater with no distractions.

And I’m not a big theater guy. The Batman is the only other movie I’ve watched in theaters since the start of Covid. And I’m about to see Avatar for a second time. I probably watched the original Avatar in one sitting at home the same amount as I did in theaters which is twice.

This isn’t about the story in Avatar 2 or whatever, it’s about the viewing. And if you have any desire to see the movie, IMO it must be done in theaters. And IMAX if possible

Eh. I'm sick of movie theater pricing. Movies are better on the big screen but I'd rather watch them in the comfort of my own home. I don't have much disposable income these days so some things had to be sacrificed.

Cameron can go **** himself complaining about it.

Hammock Parties 12-31-2022 01:06 PM

by the way, i paid 8 bucks for matinee

come on man

Just Passin' By 12-31-2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16696741)
it's an amazing experience that has to be seen in a theater

cameron harps on the fact that people are not going to movie theaters anymore and instead like to sit at home streaming shit

that is offensive to an artist like cameron, who's movies are MADE to be seen on the big screen

this had to be seen in a theater to be appreciated

Hollywood turned people off of movie going. You'll have to excuse me if I don't weep for Hollywood now that the bill for that has come due because people have enough quality equipment at home to make going to the theater only a modest upgrade, at most.

007 12-31-2022 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16697056)
by the way, i paid 8 bucks for matinee

come on man

Kansas city has better options than Topeka. We don't have early morning matinees and we only have two theaters. One sucks. The other has inflated prices.

Our matinee prices are almost $14. I can own the movie for a few dollars more and watch it as much as I want.

Miles 12-31-2022 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16695740)
I thought the 3D stuff was far and away the best part of the original; that really put it over the top. Otherwise it was just the same old CGI stuff that even back then had become fairly commonplace.

Same here and was even better this time around on a modern laser projector. These were both clearly made with the intent to be seen in 3D on a giant screen. I have little interest in watching either again at home and I have a pretty good setup.

Following the first Avater, the studios used 3D as an effects add on to try to justify a premium on ticket prices and mostly resulted in a worse moviegoing experience. It either added little to no depth or just had a worse picture like Clay is complaining about.

BWillie 12-31-2022 06:33 PM

I paid $19. Its a 3 hr movie. Thats cheap entertainment. In fact, thats the cheapest possible entertainment option for a weekend night possible. What else can you do for less than $20?