ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Tom Hardy Is Your New Venom (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307848)

Rausch 05-13-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13555084)
Oh no doubt. I hope I'm wrong as well. Cause Venom is such a dope character but it looks so cringeworthy .

This...

Sure-Oz 05-15-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13555305)
This...

The movie looks ok...Venom looks cool at the end of the trailer. Speaking of Venom...the new #1 issue was great and I've never read Venom.

Fish 07-31-2018 08:13 AM

Trailer 2:

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xLCn88bfW1o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 07-31-2018 09:18 AM

The CGI looks meh.

bowener 07-31-2018 09:21 AM

Ok... so that looks pretty terrible. Wtf is up with the terrible sound editing for his broken dialogue at the start of the trailer? You can hear the breaks in the audio where they cut and spliced his words together. Also, is Hardy shit faced the entire movie?

On the positive side, I do like that he doesn't have a shite spider on him. That is at least logical, and now that FOX no longer owns Venom's rights, I suppose we may see a crossover in the future.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13651694)
The CGI looks meh.

Looks better than it looked in the 1st trailer. But yeah, in 2018, they could do better.

Fish 07-31-2018 09:50 AM

The CGI looks better. But the scenes with Venom talking still look pretty goofy. I do really like how they're portraying the symbiote to instinctively protect Brock and stuff. I've also heard that Venom bites somebody's head off during the movie. Which is nice...

The Franchise 07-31-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13651746)
Looks better than it looked in the 1st trailer. But yeah, in 2018, they could do better.

Reminded me a lot of the old Spawn movie.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13651784)
Reminded me a lot of the old Spawn movie.

Heh. Yup. Was thinking the same thing.

Deberg_1990 07-31-2018 11:25 AM

Is this a standalone thing or what?

Looks good, but kinda meh too.....

Gravedigger 07-31-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13651762)
The CGI looks better. But the scenes with Venom talking still look pretty goofy. I do really like how they're portraying the symbiote to instinctively protect Brock and stuff. I've also heard that Venom bites somebody's head off during the movie. Which is nice...

Yeah, I like his lines but the delay of his mouth from the words coming out is pretty distracting. It almost seems like they're rushing trailers to keep interest up right after Comic Con and during the months between now and October.

Sure-Oz 07-31-2018 04:22 PM

Love the comic right now but not hyped for this other than Hardy and Venoms look

ThaVirus 07-31-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13651951)
Looks good, but kinda meh too.....

Makes sense, bro lol

beach tribe 08-03-2018 02:34 PM

Way to go, sony.

You have managed to **** up an almost impossible to **** up project..

Bravo.......No, really. Awesome job.

Really could have pulled it off too, but how do you take Spider-Man out of Venom? You don't.

BigRichard 10-01-2018 06:35 AM

Tom Hardy: 'My favourite 40 minutes of Venom were cut from the film'

Ouch!!!
Quote:

Marvel fans may be looking forward to the release of the new superhero movie Venom – but for its star, Tom Hardy, it will be a bittersweet experience.

In an interview with ComicsExplained, Hardy admitted that all his favourite scenes had ended up on the cutting-room floor. When asked "What was your favourite scene to film?" he replied: "Things that aren’t in this movie."

The Taboo star continued: "There are like 30 to 40 minutes worth of scenes that aren’t in this movie... all of them. Mad puppeteering scenes, dark comedy scenes. You know what I mean? They just never made it in."

The film, a spin-off from the Spider-Man franchise, tells the origin story of the supervillain Venom, a symbiotic alien creature which takes over the body of a journalist (played by Hardy), and kills its enemies by biting off their heads.

The film's executive producer Matt Tolmach has poured cold water on rumours that the film's most shocking scenes were cut to ensure it would receive a PG-13 certificate in the US.

"There isn't some phantom version of the movie," Tolmach told comicbook.com last week. "Everyone is asking us that. Is there an R-rated cut sitting there? There isn't."

"We only ever talked about this movie as being PG-13," director Ruben Fleisher added. "What I've said in the past is that we wanted to push the violence to the hilt. The Dark Knight was always a huge reference point for me, personally, just as far as how far you could take a PG-13."

The Dark Knight, the 2008 Batman film, received a 12A certificate in the UK but prompted complaints from both Labour and Conservative MPs, with former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith claiming the "relentlessly violent" film was not suitable for children.

Fleisher said he believed he had made a similarly boundary-pushing film. "I'm proud to say [that what] I think I accomplished was to take it to the full limit," he said. "I feel like we don't compromise Venom in any real way. He's as aggressive as fans could possibly hope for, I think."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/20...enom-cut-film/

Fish 10-01-2018 06:37 AM

Pussies won't attempt an R rating. Lame.

BigRichard 10-01-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13777197)
Pussies won't attempt an R rating. Lame.

After the success of Deadpool I would think they would get a little more leeway with the ratings from the studios.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-01-2018 07:19 AM

I just can't take Tom Hardy seriously as an action star after finding out that he got KTFO'd by Shia LaBeouf.

Buehler445 10-01-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13777250)
I just can't take Tom Hardy seriously as an action star after finding out that he got KTFO'd by Shia LaBeouf.

Whaaa?

Deberg_1990 10-01-2018 11:37 AM

Starting to hear whispers this isn’t very good. Curious whys there’s still a review embargo?

Not looking too promising

Gravedigger 10-01-2018 11:45 AM

I'll still go see it, it's Venom and looks pretty true to character. I could care less if it boils down to a big CGI monster fight at the end, if the romantic angle isnt there between him and her, if the dialogue is terrible or the CGI isn't polished up enough... it's Venom lol just like I went and saw The Predator... it's the Predator.

The Franchise 10-01-2018 12:26 PM

This will probably be a rental for me, unfortunately. My wife isn't interested in the slightest to see this and I don't generally go see movies by myself.

Sassy Squatch 10-01-2018 01:14 PM

Eh. As long as it's not connected to the Tom Holland Spiderman not really interested. From the sounds of it no Carnage either.

Just Passin' By 10-01-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13777951)
Starting to hear whispers this isn’t very good. Curious whys there’s still a review embargo?

Not looking too promising

The current trailer is awful, too.

Chiefspants 10-02-2018 08:11 AM

Word is they did a drastic re-cut from the R rated version (which was the only reason Hardy signed up for it). Looks like a typical early 2000's superhero flick. Sony still doesn't get it.

Sure-Oz 10-02-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13784137)
Word is they did a drastic re-cut from the R rated version (which was the only reason Hardy signed up for it). Looks like a typical early 2000's superhero flick. Sony still doesn't get it.

Hopefully they have a DC

Just Passin' By 10-03-2018 12:37 AM

RT finally dropped some reviews. It's not a promising start

Quote:

TOMATOMETER
30%
Average Rating: 4.6/10
Reviews Counted: 27
Fresh: 8
Rotten: 19

KC_Lee 10-03-2018 07:21 AM

And then there's this...

Lady Gaga Fans Accused of Writing Fake ‘Venom’ Reviews to Support ‘A Star Is Born’

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/g...om-1202965694/

BigRichard 10-03-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 13786367)
And then there's this...

Lady Gaga Fans Accused of Writing Fake ‘Venom’ Reviews to Support ‘A Star Is Born’

There is a story out saying Russian bots did a lot of the bad reviews for The Last Jedi as well. What a crock of shit. If your movies sucks, it will get bad reviews.

KC_Lee 10-03-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13786551)
There is a story out saying Russian bots did a lot of the bad reviews for The Last Jedi as well. What a crock of shit. If your movies sucks, it will get bad reviews.

Meh, got my tickets for tomorrow. Looking forward to the flick.

The Franchise 10-03-2018 10:04 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vaw_dbhQfhI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sully1983 10-03-2018 10:54 AM

no surprise that this is getting awful reviews. it looks really bad . and the cgi looks worse

Deberg_1990 10-03-2018 11:31 AM

Some have said it’s a bad movie but it’s never boring. Unintentionally hilarious in parts. I’ve got to see now!

Just Passin' By 10-03-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

And then there's this...

Well, unless the reviewers are pulling the same stunt, the movie has bigger problems than fans of Lady Gaga.

Quote:

TOMATOMETER
33%
Average Rating: 4.5/10
Reviews Counted: 48
Fresh: 16
Rotten: 32

Fish 10-03-2018 12:07 PM

From what I've heard the script is complete shit.

BigCatDaddy 10-03-2018 02:07 PM

I am having my superhero movie withdraws.. there hasnt been one out for awhile (Deadpool 2?) and I have 0 desire to see this one.

Just Passin' By 10-03-2018 03:42 PM

It's a shame that (assuming current reviews hold) Sony can't figure out how to make a decent superhero movie. A different perspective, making movies that don't suck, would be welcome, at least to me.

Bump 10-03-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13786551)

basically when they make a crappy SJW movie, they always blame the reviews on russian bots and they will continue doing so. RT is the least credible place to get movie reviews as well. Disney ruined marvel & star wars, have no interest in watching anything marvel or star wars again.

-King- 10-04-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13787064)
From what I've heard the script is complete shit.

So it's a turd in the wind?
Posted via Mobile Device

-King- 10-04-2018 12:39 AM

Am I the only one who finds Tom Hardy extremely overrated? Other than the Revenant and Bronson, Ive never seen a movie where his acting really stands out. Hell lately he's typecast as the guy who we can barely understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThaVirus 10-04-2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13788462)
Am I the only one who finds Tom Hardy extremely overrated?

No, I agree with you.

Deberg_1990 10-04-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one who finds Tom Hardy extremely overrated? Other than the Revenant and Bronson, Ive never seen a movie where his acting really stands out. Hell lately he's typecast as the guy who we can barely understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think he always looks super cool and definitely has screen presence. Works great in stuff like Mad Max.

I hate that I have to always struggle to understand his mumbling.

Chiefspants 10-04-2018 12:49 PM

I think Hardy excels when he's given license with his characters. He needs to be eccentric. Not an everyman. The dude slays every scene he's in with Peaky Blinders.

Just Passin' By 10-04-2018 03:01 PM

More reviews are out, and things aren't getting better.

Quote:

TOMATOMETER
30%
Average Rating: 4.4/10
Reviews Counted: 102
Fresh: 31
Rotten: 71
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/venom_2018

KC_Lee 10-04-2018 08:17 PM

Just saw it, ok movie, not a great or good movie. Some stuff;

1) Should have been an R rated movie. The character Venom existing in a PG-13 movie just does not work.

2) Michelle Williams is awful and could have been replaced by any other actress. She's just sort of there.

3) Tom Hardy was OK but his acting tone, for lack of a better word, shifted throughout the movie. At one point his acting was so goofy he looked and acted like a young Mel Brooks. And his accent, whatever accent he was going for, will grind on you at times.

4) The script was an obvious unfinished mess. The plot was rushed and you really don't care about any of the characters. Also, the movie tries to be both Deadpool-esque (there is some good dialogue between Eddie & Venom) and serious at the same time.

5) If you've seen all the trailers, you've seen 80% of Venom's scenes. Seriously, you get nothing new or any more Venom than what they already put out there in the various trailers.

6) Is there some rule in Hollywood that states if you know your CGI is not the greatest then make the scene happen at night to cover all the flaws up? Seriously, all the big action set pieces (3 total if I recall) happen at night.

So if you really want too see Venom on the big screen have fun, otherwise wait for VOD or Netflix.

Tribal Warfare 10-04-2018 10:31 PM

Solid popcorn flick though if they do release the "R" rated cut I'd definitely check it out.

BTW, wait for the end credits

-King- 10-05-2018 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13789249)
I think Hardy excels when he's given license with his characters. He needs to be eccentric. Not an everyman. The dude slays every scene he's in with Peaky Blinders.

Thanks for reminding me. Gotta start that show
Posted via Mobile Device

penguinz 10-05-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 13790260)
Just saw it, ok movie, not a great or good movie. Some stuff;

1) Should have been an R rated movie. The character Venom existing in a PG-13 movie just does not work.

2) Michelle Williams is awful and could have been replaced by any other actress. She's just sort of there.

3) Tom Hardy was OK but his acting tone, for lack of a better word, shifted throughout the movie. At one point his acting was so goofy he looked and acted like a young Mel Brooks. And his accent, whatever accent he was going for, will grind on you at times.

4) The script was an obvious unfinished mess. The plot was rushed and you really don't care about any of the characters. Also, the movie tries to be both Deadpool-esque (there is some good dialogue between Eddie & Venom) and serious at the same time.

5) If you've seen all the trailers, you've seen 80% of Venom's scenes. Seriously, you get nothing new or any more Venom than what they already put out there in the various trailers.

6) Is there some rule in Hollywood that states if you know your CGI is not the greatest then make the scene happen at night to cover all the flaws up? Seriously, all the big action set pieces (3 total if I recall) happen at night.

So if you really want too see Venom on the big screen have fun, otherwise wait for VOD or Netflix.

So more proof that Sony sucks at superhero movies. :(

Going to see it with my 12 year old tonight. He already knows it will be bad but has been looking forward to a Venom movie since he was 4.

thabear04 10-05-2018 11:08 AM

Saw it last night it was enjoyable.

KC_Lee 10-05-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 13790896)
So more proof that Sony sucks at superhero movies. :(

Going to see it with my 12 year old tonight. He already knows it will be bad but has been looking forward to a Venom movie since he was 4.

What's sad is there was so much potential there and it was just wasted. Your 12 year old will love it. Not saying I hated the movie just that it could have been really, really good.

Just Passin' By 10-05-2018 12:53 PM

More reviews are out, and that's not a good thing for the movie.

Quote:

TOMATOMETER
31%
Average Rating: 4.5/10
Reviews Counted: 149
Fresh: 46
Rotten: 103

penguinz 10-05-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 13791061)
What's sad is there was so much potential there and it was just wasted. Your 12 year old will love it. Not saying I hated the movie just that it could have been really, really good.

I hope he likes it. He is already saying how the CGI in the trailers looks dated. Also not happy that they are doing the story of Venom without spiderman being in it.

Gravedigger 10-05-2018 02:31 PM

I liked it, it wasn't MCU quality, but it wasn't Ghost Rider like alot of people peg it. I liked the first two thirds of this movie, the world building of it all, but then it falls apart towards the end and the final battle is way too close up and fast paced to be able to follow. It doesn't explore the Riot symbiote enough either, why it makes the choices it does, and just throws the villain out there to be a speed bump for Venom, even though Venom talks him up to Brock before the battle begins.

There were some funny moments, I got good chuckles out of Venom's chiding of Brock and their time together. Hardy does a great job, Michelle Williams is fine for awhile but then it just gets annoying towards the end. I thought the pacing was good, kept me entertained throughout, but the last third is definitely the weak part of the film.

I personally think that this builds Venom up enough to where they should bring him into Spiderman 3 under the MCU. You can use Hardy, he would be a great contrast to Holland. Have the black suit find Holland, have him go through it all, get rid of the suit, and have Brock get it back and then when the audience sees who the symbiote goes to, it's Hardy as his inclusion into the MCU, crowds would be psyched. Also by going to Tom Holland for the first half of a movie, then when it goes back to Brock, then you can have him have the Spider symbol and the web shooters on top of his hands. I think it would work out pretty perfectly.

penguinz 10-05-2018 09:13 PM

Not as bad as expected. It is watchable.

Valiant 10-05-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13777250)

Tom is just hgh and steroids.

BigRichard 10-06-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13791216)
More reviews are out, and that's not a good thing for the movie.

You are looking at the critic scores... not a good idea. Critics are the ones that gave TLJ a very good score. The audience scores are actually doing really well. 89% right now. I think I am going to go see it tomorrow.

Just Passin' By 10-06-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13793905)
You are looking at the critic scores... not a good idea. Critics are the ones that gave TLJ a very good score. The audience scores are actually doing really well. 89% right now. I think I am going to go see it tomorrow.

When I've said that the critics scores were misleading, I was told that the fan scores should be ignored. Now, I'm told the critics scores are the problem.

LMAO

There's no way that fan score is honest beyond the useless fanboys. This is probably going to end up like BvS and SS, where the fanboys jerked themselves dry over the movies for the first few days, and then reality set in when the normal people saw the films.

Gravedigger 10-06-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13793949)
When I've said that the critics scores were misleading, I was told that the fan scores should be ignored. Now, I'm told the critics scores are the problem.

LMAO

There's no way that fan score is honest beyond the useless fanboys. This is probably going to end up like BvS and SS, where the fanboys jerked themselves dry over the movies for the first few days, and then reality set in when the normal people saw the films.

Have you seen the movie?

Buehler445 10-07-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Dude. He’s been nails in a shitload of movies.

Warrior
Dunkirk
Lawless

Just to name a few.

-King- 10-07-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13794219)
Dude. He’s been nails in a shitload of movies.

Warrior
Dunkirk
Lawless

Just to name a few.

How was he nails in Dunkirk? He's sitting in a plane the whole movie with barely any lines. I swear he gets props for the most mundane roles. He was ok in lawless and I never saw warrior.

I'm not saying he's a bad actor but that he's just ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRichard 10-07-2018 02:19 PM

Saw it this morning... I definitely thought it was a very good movie.

Gravedigger 10-07-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13796932)
How was he nails in Dunkirk? He's sitting in a plane the whole movie with barely any lines. I swear he gets props for the most mundane roles. He was ok in lawless and I never saw warrior.

Posted via Mobile Device

You should see Warrior.

Rausch 10-07-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

And then there's this...

Does anyone think these two movies are going after the same audience?

That's like Ford writing shitty reviews for Apple...

BigRichard 10-08-2018 06:45 AM

I also want to add that I agree with people about the PG-13 rating. I did like the movie but it could have been much better if they just would have went with the gore and all that good stuff that would have given it an R rating.

sully1983 10-08-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Definitely check out Locke . I believe its still streaming on Netflix . Hardy was great in it (basically its a one man show of him just driving around in a car thru out the film but I swear its pretty damn good and one of his best performances )

Great Expectations 10-08-2018 06:39 PM

RT audiences love it and the critics hate it.

DMAC 10-09-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13799360)
Definitely check out Locke . I believe its still streaming on Netflix . Hardy was great in it (basically its a one man show of him just driving around in a car thru out the film but I swear its pretty damn good and one of his best performances )

Seconded. It's him in a car, but I was glued.

And you can understand him.

BigRichard 10-09-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 13800503)
RT audiences love it and the critics hate it.

I always go by the audience score. The critics can suck a dick.

Buehler445 10-09-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

It just worked. There were actors in that movie that were just OK. Hardy wasn’t one of them. Call it what you want. Those were just off the top of my head. You want to see his acting chops, watch the one where he plays brothers. I’ll have to look up the name.

Buehler445 10-09-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13802511)
It just worked. There were actors in that movie that were just OK. Hardy wasn’t one of them. Call it what you want. Those were just off the top of my head. You want to see his acting chops, watch the one where he plays brothers. I’ll have to look up the name.

Legend.

If you watch that and think he’s just OK. Then I guess I can’t help you.

The Franchise 10-09-2018 04:34 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HXapWk6xv_U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 10-09-2018 09:36 PM

Saw it. Tom Hardy was good. Michelle Williams was hot. The effects were fine. The story was fun. I'd recommend it.

Nirvana58 10-11-2018 06:44 AM

Just saw it last night. If you go in expecting marvel you will be disappointed. Wasn't great but definitely wasn't terrible.

I can see why the critics hated on the movie. It could have been a million times better but had its moments. I would rank it a little below justice league but way better than say suicide squad.

Coochie liquor 10-13-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13799360)

I guess I just didn’t get it. I watched this one and was very underwhelmed. The reviews were good, but the movie was just boring to me. But maybe I just didn’t understand it.

BWillie 10-13-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13789501)
More reviews are out, and things aren't getting better.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/venom_2018

I mean, did you see the previews? I was laughing my ass off. That movie looked so ridiculously stupid.

"WE are venom" - then the way overdone cartoony Venom head comes out of his body. What a joke.

The Franchise 12-21-2018 12:27 AM

Watched it last night and I actually thought it was pretty good. The cgi for the final fight was kind of iffy.....but not horrible.

007 12-21-2018 12:29 AM

It took way to long to build up the origin. But I didn't NOT like it.

The Franchise 12-21-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13974553)
It took way to long to build up the origin. But I didn't NOT like it.

It was a little long in the beginning....but I really only had one issue and that was when Venom was deciding that he wasn't going to help take over the planet. A symbiote can be a dork? Really?

Fish 12-21-2018 10:46 AM

Yeah, Venom's motivations didn't really make much sense. It was OK. Could have been so much better...

SAUTO 12-24-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13777688)
Whaaa?

Seriously? Hamas you can't stop there...