ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell considering doing away with kickoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267426)

mikey23545 12-06-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185433)
Who would go for a 4th and 15 on their own 30?

A team that's trailing by 7 late in the 4th quarter even after their score?

listopencil 12-06-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185442)
If I was commissioner, here's what I would do.

You make the field 70 yards long, but you have two fields in parallel. You then connect them with curves in the end zone to make the thing a big race track. When a team has the ball, they get points for every end zone that they cross. If a guy scores, he keeps running around the track. He gets more points for reaching the second field, and even more points if he can traverse that entire field. He keeps going until someone finally brings him down.

Now, the defensive team can choose to chase the guy, or they can run around in the other direction to stop him on the other side. If a guy is really fast and he scores, some of the defenders may chase him and others will run the opposite direction so they can stop him on the next lap.

It would be loads of fun.

Just make it a 110 yard oval with two 5 yard end zones. You get 3 points every time you cross an end zone. The interior oval (non playing surface) is divided into two regions that replace the sidelines. Call it Trackball.

Discuss Thrower 12-06-2012 01:43 PM

**** it, replace onsides kick situation with a rugby scrum (or ruck) with the same rules. Place the ball dead center of the 50 and let them maul it out. Once a side gets the ball they get to advance it as far as they want, then resume normal play rules.

Bearcat 12-06-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185433)
Who would go for a 4th and 15 on their own 30?

It would basically replace the onside kick, and I think teams would convert more often on 4th and 15 than trying for an onside kick. Pretty gimmicky though.

And I agree with Talking Can and |Zach|... there might be one or two games per week that are really worth watching, whenever two elite QBs play each other... but, it's an incredibly mediocre league that's been going downhill for ~5 years now (at least that's when I first started noticing it). These days, it doesn't even start to get interesting until the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Rain Man 12-06-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9185455)
Just make it a 110 yard oval with two 5 yard end zones. You get 3 points every time you cross an end zone. The interior oval (non playing surface) is divided into two regions that replace the sidelines. Call it Trackball.

That works for me.

Maybe you don't even give up the ball when you score. You just keep pushing around the track until the other team can stop you.

This would also be a very fun system to watch on defensive turnovers. Some linebacker makes an interception and takes off running. How long does it take to catch him? I think it would be a blast.

Maybe we should invent a new league for this. I think it would surpass football pretty quickly.

suds79 12-06-2012 01:49 PM

Heard a guy on the radio make a great point.

You know why they'll never get rid of kickoffs? Because of commercials.

As it stands now...

TD!, extra point... Commercial

Kickoff.... Commercial.

Finally back to play.

listopencil 12-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185460)
That works for me.

Maybe you don't even give up the ball when you score. You just keep pushing around the track until the other team can stop you.

This would also be a very fun system to watch on defensive turnovers. Some linebacker makes an interception and takes off running. How long does it take to catch him? I think it would be a blast.

Maybe we should invent a new league for this. I think it would surpass football pretty quickly.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Three points each time you have possession through the entire end zone. Passes out of bounds would be tricky. A QB could clip the interior oval on a pass, getting the ball to a receiver from outside of the field of play.

|Zach| 12-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9185459)
It would basically replace the onside kick, and I think teams would convert more often on 4th and 15 than trying for an onside kick. Pretty gimmicky though.

And I agree with Talking Can and |Zach|... there might be one or two games per week that are really worth watching, whenever two elite QBs play each other... but, it's an incredibly mediocre league that's been going downhill for ~5 years now (at least that's when I first started noticing it). These days, it doesn't even start to get interesting until the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I know a lot of people disagree with this as old and behind the times and that is ok but I really miss running games. Hard hitting...really good run defenses. It just feels like a different game now and not for the better.

It is what it is I suppose....feeling apathetic though.

GoChargers 12-06-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9185409)
So with field goals it's still difficult.

Without field goals it's even more challenging, since coaches have to actually, you know, call a play instead of resorting to pussy points.

ToxSocks 12-06-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9185466)

As it stands now...

Kickoff.... Commercial.

Finally back to play.

The commercials would still be there.

TD! extra point...commercial

4th and 15 attempt

Commercial.

Rain Man 12-06-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9185471)
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Three points each time you have possession through the entire end zone. Passes out of bounds would be tricky. A QB could clip the interior oval on a pass, getting the ball to a receiver from outside of the field of play.

Could you throw it across the infield to the other side? Or would it be like hockey icing where you can't throw it further than one end zone?

jAZ 12-06-2012 02:05 PM

Other than "it's always been this way" why does anyone care about kickoffs?

jAZ 12-06-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9185466)

As it stands now...

Kickoff.... Commercial.

Finally back to play.

That's silly. 4 minutes of commercials instead of 2.

Brock 12-06-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9185494)

There isn't any reason to care about it since they made every kick a touchback. Maybe they should fix that by fixing what's wrong with it.

okcchief 12-06-2012 02:12 PM

**** Goodell

BigMeatballDave 12-06-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

:spock:

Probably because the KO return for TD is one of the most exciting plays.

BigMeatballDave 12-06-2012 02:14 PM

There is simply no good reason to get rid of it.

Clyde Frog 12-06-2012 02:19 PM

Sarcastaball!

Chief Roundup 12-06-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

It is another possession. Onside Kick, Fumbling the catch and so on.

Brock 12-06-2012 02:22 PM

Other than "it's always been this way", why does anybody care about tackling?

ROFL jaz

vailpass 12-06-2012 02:24 PM

This is so ****ing stupid. It's like Jerome Bettis said on the DP show this morning: "they might as well just flip a coin to see who wins the game."

vailpass 12-06-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

OMFG

scho63 12-06-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9185235)
geez the arena league conversion continues.

Goodell needs to be removed from his position.

1000x agree. I HATE arena football and don't want to see every game 44-39

ElGringo 12-06-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9185557)
This is so ****ing stupid. It's like Jerome Bettis said on the DP show this morning: "they might as well just flip a coin to see who wins the game."

I got it, still have the draft, still have workouts, not practice someone could get hurt, then each week have something the equivalent of a rookie combine. Based on the results of this combine they basically make odds as to which team should win the game. Now based on that percentage, they do something the equivalent of flipping a coin, but have it weighted based on the results of the combine for that week. We no longer waste 3 hours of everyone's time watching the game, and no one should get seriously injured; however, you keep the players skills, the gm, the coaches, and all of that still involved in the outcome of the game.

(And if your sarcasm meter is broken **** off and move on)

Rain Man 12-06-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9185592)
I got it, still have the draft, still have workouts, not practice someone could get hurt, then each week have something the equivalent of a rookie combine. Based on the results of this combine they basically make odds as to which team should win the game. Now based on that percentage, they do something the equivalent of flipping a coin, but have it weighted based on the results of the combine for that week. We no longer waste 3 hours of everyone's time watching the game, and no one should get seriously injured; however, you keep the players skills, the gm, the coaches, and all of that still involved in the outcome of the game.

It would solve the concussion problem completely. And League MVP Vernon Gholston would be thrilled.

okoye35chiefs 12-06-2012 02:40 PM

i could see him just spotting the ball at the 20 instead of kickoffs..

don't like it but I see that as a more likely scenario vs that garbage of 4th and 15..

Contrarian 12-06-2012 02:41 PM

They should change the kickoff back to the way it was and have the kick off team start further back from where the ball is kicked from!

If they want to make drastic changes then they should implement under 5 minutes after each play the clock stops whether they are in bounds or not. I am sick of seeing games that are finished in the last 5 minutes because the other team can run out clock and in some instances take a penalty to waste time for an advantage.

Chiefnj2 12-06-2012 02:49 PM

They always talk about injuries on kickoffs, but I don't seem to notice it. Seems like a lot more violent hits (and fines) on 3rd and 4th and long when WRs are left out to dry.

CoMoChief 12-06-2012 02:52 PM

Hey lets do away w/ tackling too!!!

Chiefnj2 12-06-2012 02:58 PM

The league wants to focus on the dangers of kick returns yet the HOF refuses to vote in special teamers since they aren't "real" players.

whoman69 12-06-2012 03:00 PM

Goodell doesn't have a stranglehold on the rules. Any rules changes have to be approved by the rules committee. That said, knowing the commissioner is behind a rule change adds weight to the argument. They're still able to tell him no as they have with the 18 game schedule and a team in London.

CoMoChief 12-06-2012 03:28 PM

They're doing all of this because the NFL is gonna get bitch slapped with a huge concussion class-action lawsuit, and they're doing as much damage control as they can now to make it look like they're promoting as much safety as possible.

listopencil 12-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185492)
Could you throw it across the infield to the other side? Or would it be like hockey icing where you can't throw it further than one end zone?

If you have the "sidelines" in the middle then I think you have to rule out throws across the middle. Too much potential for interference. How about we make the area in the middle circular with a cirumference of 110 yards? The field itself could be 53.5 yards wide.This gives the middle spot a diameter of 35 yards. Eliminate the "sidelines" concept and rent ad space there instead. Allow signage below thirty inches in height. I like your "icing" rule. Say a pass can not circumvent an end zone at any time or it is an illegal "forward pass."

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-06-2012 04:56 PM

This commissioner is truly a pile of garbage.

007 12-06-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."
Uh no. With the current BS they have done to kickoffs, I would be fine with them just giving the opposing team the ball on the 20 after scores though.

Bob Dole 12-06-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9185592)

Just have a combine that involves all the players from each team every year (after the draft combine and draft), then plug all the results in a proprietary Madden-like video game and run 100 simulations each week. BAM!

Watch parties, fantasy teams, sim casts, Vegas lines. All the same shit.

Bump 12-06-2012 06:24 PM

GRRRR

KurtCobain 12-06-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9186165)
Uh no. With the current BS they have done to kickoffs, I would be fine with them just giving the opposing team the ball on the 20 after scores though.

Then there's no chance to get the ball back like an onside kick. There would be no comebacks.

007 12-06-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9186216)
Then there's no chance to get the ball back like an onside kick. There would be no comebacks.

I want them to move the ball back to the 30 again. I'm just saying they neutered the kickoff this year.

notorious 12-06-2012 06:43 PM

The 4th and 15 idea is horrific.

I can't imagine how many times we would see Brady/Manning get a defensive holding call or PI call to allow them a chance to win the game.

jAZ 12-06-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9185520)
:spock:

Probably because the KO return for TD is one of the most exciting plays.

Meh.

Spott 12-06-2012 06:48 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the rule changed on blocked extra points where the team can run it back for a 2 point conversion. I know that doesn't happen often but that's one of the few college rules I like better than the NFL. I don't see any way they could get rid of kickoffs, though.

KurtCobain 12-06-2012 06:50 PM

I like the 4th and fifteen idea.

Sorter 12-06-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9186278)
I like the 4th and fifteen idea.

http://chan.catiewayne.com/b/src/131545183587.gif

jAZ 12-06-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9185548)
Other than "it's always been this way", why does anybody care about tackling?

ROFL jaz

It's not like they are talking about getting rid of the forward pass. I don't know what the data shows, but I'm assuming this is linked to reducing the likelihood of a head injury.

If it is somehow an outsized contributor to head injuries, and they are giving serious consideration is eliminating it for that reason, then... ok. Fine.

Whatever the data says.

Again, it's largely a pointless play to begin with. You can make up the excitement gap in other ways, I'm certain.

They enthusiasm for the game would be just fine if they do this, I'm sure.

Frazod 12-06-2012 06:52 PM

I hate Goodell almost as much as I hate Pioli.

Brock 12-06-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186284)
It's not like they are talking about getting rid of the forward pass. I don't know what the data shows, but I'm assuming this is linked to reducing the likelihood of a head injury.

If it is somehow an outsized contributor to head injuries, and they are giving serious consideration is eliminating it for that reason, then... ok. Fine.

Whatever the data says.

Again, it's largely a pointless play to begin with. You can make up the excitement gap in other ways, I'm certain.

They enthusiasm for the game would be just fine if they do this, I'm sure.

Yeah, sure. A pointless play, except some of the most memorable plays in NFL(and Chiefs) history were kickoff returns for touchdowns.

Jesus Christ, why do you even watch football?

notorious 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

4th and 15 would give the NFL more control of who wins games, if you are into conspiracy theories. :D

Spott 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186290)
Yeah, sure. A pointless play, except some of the most memorable plays in NFL(and Chiefs) history were kickoff returns for touchdowns.

It was damn sure a good play for a few seasons with Dante Hall and Tamarick Vanover.

mcaj22 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

i hate greg schiano what a smelly turd

Chief Roundup 12-06-2012 06:58 PM

If this is about head injuries we just need to take away the helmets. No helmets, no one will be leading with thier head and so on.
OR they could just realize that FOOTBALL is a contact sport and that you cannot legislate contact out of the sport.

Gonzo 12-06-2012 06:59 PM

I think they should give the returner the ball at the goal line and make him return it every time. Touchbacks are for pussies.

Rain Man 12-06-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9185889)
If you have the "sidelines" in the middle then I think you have to rule out throws across the middle. Too much potential for interference. How about we make the area in the middle circular with a cirumference of 110 yards? The field itself could be 53.5 yards wide.This gives the middle spot a diameter of 35 yards. Eliminate the "sidelines" concept and rent ad space there instead. Allow signage below thirty inches in height. I like your "icing" rule. Say a pass can not circumvent an end zone at any time or it is an illegal "forward pass."

I'm not sure I'd go for a circular field. You need a straightaway for players to reach top speed.

Throwing across the infield might indeed cause interference. However, I don't think we could avoid it near the ends of the straightaways. If you have a guy accelerating around the curve of the end zone, passes are going to cut across the infield unless you actually block it with a net or something. I think you might have to allow passes across the infield for practical reasons, but perhaps they just can't be thrown to a point behind the line of scrimmage. So if you're at midfield, you can throw "deep" to a guy who runs 50 yards, turns the corner, and runs 40 yards back, but you can't throw deep to a guy who runs 50 yards, turns the corner, and runs 60 yards back.

jAZ 12-06-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186290)

Yes, thank god for kickoffs, otherwise, I don't know why I'd watch football.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x0WYsKYy0ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock 12-06-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186320)
Yes, thank god for kickoffs, otherwise, I don't know why I'd watch football.

"Here is a refutation of what you said:"

*Shows a video that doesn't refute what I said* /jaz

mcaj22 12-06-2012 07:07 PM

what the hell does a running play have to do with a kickoff lol

jAZ 12-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186327)
"Here is a refutation of what you said:"

*Shows a video that doesn't refute what I said* /jaz

What would I be refuting exactly? You asked me why I watched football. I pointed out that the kickoff is hardly the reason to watch football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9186330)
what the hell does a running play have to do with a kickoff lol

Umm... It was a Dante Hall like running play for a TD?

Breaking a KO return, breaking a punt return, breaking a long TD run and breaking a long TD pass are all about the same thing.

What makes them exciting is less about the nature of the play, but the competitiveness of the game and the situation it is played in.

I'm certain that they could adjust the rules and find a set of conditions that maintained an equally exciting experience for fans, if they needed to pull out the kick off because it was found to be significantly high risk.

If they took away the kickoff, people would continue to love football. The game would be fine.

I know I'd not be concerned.

dirk digler 12-06-2012 07:43 PM

If they are going to continue with the neutering of the kickoff as it stands now then I am intrigued by the idea.

But really they should move the kickoff back to the 20-25 and make the kickoff fun again.

Bump 12-06-2012 07:49 PM

kickoffs are ****ing gay now. So players suffer head trauma at a much higher rate on kickoffs compared to everything else? is there a statistic for that?

If it was that huge of a problem and shortens players lives, then fine, get rid of the kickoff because they aren't gladiators, they are people, very well paid people but it still doesn't give us the right that they should take 20 years off of their lives for our entertainment. But I would like to see some statistics on that as far as head trauma's and neck injuries, or other injuries that ultimately shortens lives or leads to a less quality of life.

OskaloosaChief 12-06-2012 07:50 PM

Why the hell even give them the 4th and 15? Just give them 4th and 40 (where only a Hail Mary keeps the ball) or no option at all - just make them punt instead of kickoff. Makes NO sense whatsoever to give a team that JUST scored the ball again, even if the chance of making a 1st is remote.

dirk digler 12-06-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OskaloosaChief (Post 9186432)
Why the hell even give them the 4th and 15? Just give them 4th and 40 (where only a Hail Mary keeps the ball) or no option at all - just make them punt instead of kickoff. Makes NO sense whatsoever to give a team that JUST scored the ball again, even if the chance of making a 1st is remote.

I think it should be at least 4th and 20. Also they need to amend the rules for this special down that no 5yd illegal contact\holding gets an automatic first down just PI.

Bump 12-06-2012 07:55 PM

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

that is the worst idea I have ever seen in my entire life.

GloryDayz 12-06-2012 08:01 PM

OK, QBs can't be touched, WR can't be touched, nobody on offense is accountable for their own safety (or their own team member's safety if you're a QB (crossing patterns) - it's all on the defense), scratching the opposing team's helmet will cost you some games on and perhaps $25K (unless you're on offense, then you can use your head all you want and deliver blows to the head [stiff-arm] and even grab the face mask if you want), now we won't do kickoffs.

OK....

Rain Man 12-06-2012 08:04 PM

While I strongly prefer my oval field idea, another possibility would be as follows:

The whistle doesn't blow until the ball carrier is tackled or until he place the ball onto a small shelf on the crossbar. If he is able to place the ball on the shelf, the ball is subsequently placed on the 15 yard line. If the ball carrier is tackled before placing the ball on the shelf, the ball is subsequently place on the 30 yard line.

Ace Gunner 12-06-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9186474)
While I strongly prefer my oval field idea, another possibility would be as follows:

The whistle doesn't blow until the ball carrier is tackled or until he place the ball onto a small shelf on the crossbar. If he is able to place the ball on the shelf, the ball is subsequently placed on the 15 yard line. If the ball carrier is tackled before placing the ball on the shelf, the ball is subsequently place on the 30 yard line.

I like this. Except on monday night. On monday night games, the game starts by putting the player on the free throw line. If the player makes one or both shots, the ball is spotted on either the 40yl or the opponent's 40yl.

Of course this starts over when an opponent scores.

Brock 12-06-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186360)
What would I be refuting exactly? You asked me why I watched football. I pointed out that the kickoff is hardly the reason to watch football.

Umm... It was a Dante Hall like running play for a TD?

Breaking a KO return, breaking a punt return, breaking a long TD run and breaking a long TD pass are all about the same thing.

What makes them exciting is less about the nature of the play, but the competitiveness of the game and the situation it is played in.

I'm certain that they could adjust the rules and find a set of conditions that maintained an equally exciting experience for fans, if they needed to pull out the kick off because it was found to be significantly high risk.

If they took away the kickoff, people would continue to love football. The game would be fine.

I know I'd not be concerned.

Let's get rid of passing over the middle, receivers get hurt, PLUS there is still the running game to make it exciting!!!!!

Brock 12-06-2012 08:33 PM

Seriously, what kind of female-brained knob do you have to be to think virtually eliminating special teams play from the game makes it better, or even the wishy-washy thinking that it would be no worse? Get ****ed, and stop screwing this game up.

Frazod 12-06-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186552)
Let's get rid of passing over the middle, receivers get hurt, PLUS there is still the running game to make it exciting!!!!!

I think we should just put them in bumper cars. Safer that way.

1ChiefsDan 12-06-2012 08:35 PM

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Rams coach Jeff Fisher is "sure" Competition Committee will address possible elimination of kickoff in February http://wp.me/p14QSB-6BqT
View summary Reply Retweet Favorite

hometeam 12-06-2012 08:39 PM

Make it take it? Is this ****ing half court basketball 8th grade? **** that shit.

tk13 12-06-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186561)
Seriously, what kind of female-brained knob do you have to be to think virtually eliminating special teams play from the game makes it better, or even the wishy-washy thinking that it would be no worse? Get ****ed, and stop screwing this game up.

I'm not sure he thinks it will make the game better. He thinks when a more definitive study is done that shows that half these guys have brain damage, he's going to have evidence he wasn't negligent to the issue.

Brock 12-06-2012 08:43 PM

The NFL by 2015: A Punt Pass Kick competition with orange slices at halftime. Ribbons for everybody!

DeezNutz 12-06-2012 08:44 PM

Don't care about what happens to gladiators.

GloryDayz 12-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186584)
The NFL by 2015: A Punt Pass Kick competition with orange slices at halftime. Ribbons for everybody!

This!!!

1ChiefsDan 12-06-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9186586)
Don't care about what happens to gladiators.

sickening and disgusting

Mother****erJones 12-06-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unothadeal (Post 9185229)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ating-kickoffs

When the NFL changed the line of scrimmage for kickoffs to increase touchbacks, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick derisively said that it was only a matter of time before the NFL eliminated kickoffs entirely. He believed that's what the NFL wanted to do.

Belichick might wind up being proven right.

Roger Goodell through the years
Take a look at photos of Roger Goodell through the years.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he's taken it under consideration to remove the kickoff entirely.

"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell told TIME in a cover story for the Dec. 17 issue.

Even more intriguing is an alternative concept promoted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano. Goodell met with the NFL competition committee chairman about the concept.

It's an interesting idea. We haven't seen the numbers that punts are that much safer than kickoffs, but the NFL must have the data to support the notion if they were considering it.

The implications for strategy are even more intriguing. If a team is trailing by more than one score very late in the fourth quarter, they likely would to try to go for it on fourth-and-15 instead of punting. That's not an easy situation to convert, but the concept would still make it easier to make a comeback without ever giving the ball back to an opponent.

:facepalm:

jAZ 12-06-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186552)

Settle down Brock.

If the NFL is considering this change they have a significant justification for it. I assume they have data that says it's a very serious risk. Unlike other plays.

And for the record, there's not just running plays. There's EVERY OTHER PLAY NOT CALLED THE KICKOFF "to make it exciting!!!!!".

I think there's somewhere around 30,000 plays in an NFL season (60x16x32).

There were 10 kickoffs returned for a TD in 2011.

The game will be ok without those 10 plays.

And if it replaces them with punt returns, you probably wouldn't lose anything. There were more punts returned for TD's than kickoffs returned.

hometeam 12-06-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186713)
Settle down Brock.

If the NFL is considering this change they have a significant justification for it. I assume they have data that says it's a very serious risk. Unlike other plays.

And for the record, there's not just running plays. There's EVERY OTHER PLAY NOT CALLED THE KICKOFF "to make it exciting!!!!!".

I think there's somewhere around 30,000 plays in an NFL season (60x16x32).

There were 10 kickoffs returned for a TD in 2011.

The game will be ok without those 10 plays.

And if it replaces them with punt returns, you probably wouldn't lose anything. There were more punts returned for TD's than kickoffs returned.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...wh5ro1_500.gif

MahiMike 12-06-2012 09:45 PM

If they did this, dicks like Belichick would try to hit 100 pts.

BigMeatballDave 12-06-2012 10:22 PM

I just don't know how they can do it.

No more on-side kicks? If a team is behind late, they have no shot of making a comeback.