ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports NHL and NHLPA reach an agreement - lockout FINALLY over (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268553)

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 12:08 AM

PENGUINS!

AussieChiefsFan 01-07-2013 12:10 AM

Oh that's good.

Rams Fan 01-07-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9290884)
I just saw that the new CBA will run 10 years. That really sucks. So we might not get another lock out or strike until 2023? I don't think the nation can make it that long.

Owners can opt out after year 8.

ClevelandBronco 01-07-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9290754)
Hockey is now the 6th or 7th most popular sport in America... before the first lockout, they were 4th.

NFL
MLB
NBA
NASCAR
SOCCER
MMA?
NHL

Damned shame for the best sport ever invented.

The_Doctor10 01-07-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9288476)
You mad cause the flames suck and are never gonna win a cup?

No one cares about the greedy watered down soft NHL anymore.

No, I'm amused because I think it's neat that you think no one cares about the NHL, yet if we rounded up your entire town, we couldn't find ten people willing to go to your funeral unless they were guilted into it. But sure, tell us of what no one cares about.

The_Doctor10 01-07-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Hockey is now the 6th or 7th most popular sport in America... before the first lockout, they were 4th.

NFL
MLB
NBA
NASCAR
SOCCER
MMA?
NHL

I will guarantee you the NHL is a higher revenue league than MLS and MMA. And perhaps even Nascar, which is just as regional a sport as hockey, btw. Hockey is successful being what it is. Culturally, there is no way in the next twenty-five plus years it will supplant baseball, football, and basketball as America's preferred sporting contest. But it was extremely healthy for what it was before the lockout, and I think that growth is going to continue or at least hold steady. It's very difficult to lose a hockey fan once you're really into it.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 9288528)
This is good news. Marty only has so many years left. Let's go Devils!

I really like the potential of their young goalies. I think between Wedgewood and Kinkaid we can find a future goalie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9290990)
I will guarantee you the NHL is a higher revenue league than MLS and MMA. And perhaps even Nascar, which is just as regional a sport as hockey, btw. Hockey is successful being what it is. Culturally, there is no way in the next twenty-five plus years it will supplant baseball, football, and basketball as America's preferred sporting contest. But it was extremely healthy for what it was before the lockout, and I think that growth is going to continue or at least hold steady. It's very difficult to lose a hockey fan once you're really into it.

NASCAR is a monster man. The NHL was really moving in the right direction prior to this lockout. What a damn shame.

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9290986)
No, I'm amused because I think it's neat that you think no one cares about the NHL, yet if we rounded up your entire town, we couldn't find ten people willing to go to your funeral unless they were guilted into it. But sure, tell us of what no one cares about.

You talk a lot of smack over a computer

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9290579)
How old? Original Six or just pre-salary cap?

just the NHL from like the 90s all the way to 2006-2007 kinda.

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:16 AM

NHL hockey sucks now, it's fun to play in real life but watching it is a snooze fest. Way too many lames that have barely even played the game trying to over analyze it and when they reduced the hitting, it turned into a soft league. Give it a few more years and there won't even be fighting in it anymore.

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9290990)

Let me know when your team wins a cup, im 24 cups ahead of you.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 05:26 AM

Glad they reached a deal to get at least 40+ games in this year.

Very happy to be able to play some hockey and then hit the pub with the mates to catch NHL games again.

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 9291120)
Glad they reached a deal to get at least 40+ games in this year.

Very happy to be able to play some hockey and then hit the pub with the mates to catch NHL games again.

dunno if you're a rangers fan but they're winning it all this year.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9291122)
dunno if you're a rangers fan but they're winning it all this year.

Born & raised in NYC but not a Rangers fan & I definitely think they'll be there in the Cup final.

A well rested Lundqvist only having to play 30 or so games will be very beneficial to the Blue shirts as well as their d-men being just as rested.

They fluttered against the Devils because their defense was just running on empty. Couldn't keep up with that fierce forecheck the Devils displayed in the ECF.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 9291139)
They fluttered against the Devils because their defense was just running on empty. Couldn't keep up with that fierce forecheck the Devils displayed in the ECF.

Torts went way over the top with his blocking and tough team concept. They were essentially playing a penalty-kill system when it was 5 on 5. Add to that what was a very under rated Devils forecheck and you got a series dominated by NJ save for the 1st game. The Devils past ways are just that.

The Rangers have a lot of contract issues coming up, with Gaborik most likely leaving next year and them then having to try and keep all their young pieces. This is the year for them. Not surprisingly, I am hoping it doesn't work out.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9291141)
Torts went way over the top with his blocking and tough team concept. They were essentially playing a penalty-kill system when it was 5 on 5. Add to that what was a very under rated Devils forecheck and you got a series dominated by NJ save for the 1st game. The Devils past ways are just that.

The Rangers have a lot of contract issues coming up, with Gaborik most likely leaving next year and them then having to try and keep all their young pieces. This is the year for them. Not surprisingly, I am hoping it doesn't work out.

The one thing I really want to see is how Nash plays with a very skillful center finally AND how he reacts to the playoffs & plays in the playoffs. Also, I'm a firm believer that this has to be the year that Staal proves he's an elite defenseman. I've been calling him out for the last two years as an over-hyped borderline bust.

The silent killer for the Rangers however, is their 3rd defensive pairing - absolute trash. The Washington series exposed that BIG TIME. Having McDonagh play almost 53min in that overtime game is a major red flag.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry but these are NOT elite stats. Not the helpers, not the ginos & certainly not the +/-.

blaise 01-07-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9288464)
The truth hurts.

Enjoy the return of hockey with the 5 other people who were aware it was even missing.

Division III womens basketball gets higher TV ratings than hockey.

How about the truth that coming into a thread about hockey to say hockey sucks makes you a douchebag and an asshole?

Deberg_1990 01-07-2013 08:09 AM

SO have they announced when the games will start yet?

Pushead2 01-07-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9291190)

Katie Strang is reporting that the NHL is eyeing Jan 19th.

Stad 01-07-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9291190)

Probably today we will get a schedule i imagine.

Bearcat 01-07-2013 09:21 AM

Dear fans who don't care,

Why do you care so much about the popularity of hockey? It's not a high school popularity contest. I could rattle off several products, companies, sports, etc; that have gotten worse as popularity soared. Do you only like things everyone else likes? The truth doesn't hurt. It's not the NFL, and I don't want it to become the NFL. It's not folding any time soon, so kindly don't care by not spending your time talking about the NHL and acting like it'll never find a date to prom.

kthxbye.

blaise 01-07-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9291367)

Why do you care so much about the popularity of hockey? It's not a high school popularity contest. I could rattle off several products, companies, sports, etc; that have gotten worse as popularity soared. Do you only like things everyone else likes? The truth doesn't hurt. It's not the NFL, and I don't want it to become the NFL. It's not folding any time soon, so kindly don't care by not spending your time talking about the NHL and acting like it'll never find a date to prom.

kthxbye.

I never got that either. Who cares if it's behind NFL or NBA, etc?

Pushead2 01-07-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9291367)

kthxbye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9291372)
I never got that either. Who cares if it's behind NFL or NBA, etc?

:clap:

It's my favorite sport and I play it a lot but I don't waste my time with pissing contests about hockey. Especially on a football message board. :)

Predarat 01-07-2013 09:49 AM

Its kind of funny those who don't care, don't care so much that they bother reading this thread, posting in it, and arguing.

Chief Roundup 01-07-2013 09:50 AM

Oh really. I didn't even know that hockey was not being played. Yawn

blaise 01-07-2013 09:56 AM

"Hey everyone! I know a joke! It goes, 'I didn't know they weren't playing hockey!' HAHHAHA. I bet no one's made that joke yet! Good one, huh? How clever am I? And original!"

Graystoke 01-07-2013 11:07 AM

Hockey is just a beautiful sport. Love playing and love to attend live games.
Very pleased the lockout is over.
I do however think the season and number of games are just to long, hockey is just brutal with 82 games.
But I think the same about MLB.

Stad 01-07-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 9291714)
Hockey is just a beautiful sport. Love playing and love to attend live games.
Very pleased the lockout is over.
I do however think the season and number of games are just to long, hockey is just brutal with 82 games.
But I think the same about MLB.

Agreed. I played minor hockey and still hit the rinks here every weekend to play shinny in the winter. Nothing like getting a bunch of buddies together n drinking some beers n getting a game going.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadw0n306 (Post 9293276)
Agreed. I played minor hockey and still hit the rinks here every weekend to play shinny in the winter. Nothing like getting a bunch of buddies together n drinking some beers n getting a game going.

Where did you play?

Predarat 01-08-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9293518)
Where did you play?

And what league was it?

Pushead2 01-08-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

:toast::toast:

Predarat 01-09-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9288467)
I'm in. Just PM me when you guys figure it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 9288470)
I usually get into a $100 league on CBSSports. Have no clue what the outlook is on fantasy teams now with the lockout over. Don't want to put in $100 only to find out that 1 or 2 leagues are going

If you're getting a free one up, I'd be interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadw0n306 (Post 9288486)
Probably will be free.

Anyone wanna create the league??

OK I set up a basic free basic Yahoo league, hope we can get 10-12 teams. The draft is set for Tuesday evening but can move it if needed. Here is the link to join:

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.co...sword=gochiefs

RockChalk 01-09-2013 10:25 AM

I just signed up for it

Predarat 01-09-2013 12:21 PM

Wow sounds like Toronto fired their GM.

tooge 01-09-2013 12:24 PM

I'd love to give a rats ass about hockey, but I don't. It could go away and I wouldn't care.

The_Doctor10 01-09-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9299923)
I'd love to give a rats ass about hockey, but I don't. It could go away and I wouldn't care.

Like most of earth and the nfl.

SDChiefs 01-09-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

NFL
MLB
NBA
NASCAR
SOCCER
MMA?
NHL

Hockey averaged more attendance then basketball.

blaise 01-09-2013 01:17 PM

Hockey, in arena, attendance is good. Their TV numbers stink. I think it's mostly because NHL fans are usually fans of their team and don't care about other teams. I'm a Sabres fan and I care almost not at all about Western Conference teams. NBA fans are more fans of the league I think.

Rausch 01-09-2013 01:18 PM

And not a single **** was given...

Bearcat 01-09-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9300112)
Hockey, in arena, attendance is good. Their TV numbers stink. I think it's mostly because NHL fans are usually fans of their team and don't care about other teams. I'm a Sabres fan and I care almost not at all about Western Conference teams. NBA fans are more fans of the league I think.

Maybe... plus I'm sure there are a lot of fans who don't care about Canadian teams (and a lot of Canadian fans who don't care about US teams). The NBA is also on several channels, and even when the NHL was on ESPN, it was once or twice a week. Plus, not nearly as many people had HD when hockey was on ESPN, which helps hockey more than other sports.

I personally think the overall quality of the NHL is better than the overall quality of the NFL (don't really watch the NBA), so I'd rather watch an NHL game against two teams I don't care about. I loved Center Ice last season.

Predarat 01-09-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9300163)
Maybe... plus I'm sure there are a lot of fans who don't care about Canadian teams (and a lot of Canadian fans who don't care about US teams). The NBA is also on several channels, and even when the NHL was on ESPN, it was once or twice a week. Plus, not nearly as many people had HD when hockey was on ESPN, which helps hockey more than other sports.

I personally think the overall quality of the NHL is better than the overall quality of the NFL (don't really watch the NBA), so I'd rather watch an NHL game against two teams I don't care about. I loved Center Ice last season.

Especially during the playoffs, I watch the hell out of playoff hockey, it is just plain awesome. It get so intense and some games every little thing counts huge.

tooge 01-09-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9300063)
Like most of earth and the nfl.

Except that the rest of the earth is just that, the rest of the earth. Nobody in the universe gives a hoot about the rest of the earth. The USA is all that matters. The rest suck. It's a good thing there are fish up in Canada, or it would be worthless.

ChiefMojo 01-09-2013 02:53 PM

The NHL Govenor just stated that it has been ratified.

Sorter 01-09-2013 02:55 PM

Uhh...

yay?

ptlyon 01-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9300446)
The NHL Govenor just stated that it has been ratified.

The rats have all been exterminated?

Predarat 01-09-2013 03:19 PM

They need to realease the ****ing schedule already!

ChiefMojo 01-09-2013 03:23 PM

Ratified the CBA I should say.

KC_Connection 01-09-2013 03:45 PM

The Leafs just fired Burke. Interesting. Now just fire Bryan Colangelo tomorrow and we can get all of the bad GMs I follow out in one week.

Stad 01-09-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9295759)
And what league was it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9293518)
Where did you play?

It was just with the Saskatoon Minor Hockey Association, it wasn't professional or anything if that's what you guys were wondering. I played mostly tier 1 n 2 all the way through Midget. I was a goalie.

Stad 01-09-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9299348)
OK I set up a basic free basic Yahoo league, hope we can get 10-12 teams. The draft is set for Tuesday evening but can move it if needed. Here is the link to join:

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.co...sword=gochiefs

Signed up as well.

COME ON PEOPLE JOIN THE LEAGUE!!

NJChiefsFan 01-10-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9300426)
Especially during the playoffs, I watch the hell out of playoff hockey, it is just plain awesome. It get so intense and some games every little thing counts huge.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadw0n306 (Post 9300657)
It was just with the Saskatoon Minor Hockey Association, it wasn't professional or anything if that's what you guys were wondering. I played mostly tier 1 n 2 all the way through Midget. I was a goalie.

Nah, just interested. That's cool.

NJChiefsFan 01-10-2013 02:25 AM

Signed up.

Predarat 01-10-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadw0n306 (Post 9300665)
Signed up as well.

COME ON PEOPLE JOIN THE LEAGUE!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9302183)
Signed up.

Good start so far, hope we can get 8-10 or maybe even fill the league.

The_Doctor10 01-10-2013 02:39 PM

Count me in as well

Predarat 01-11-2013 07:51 AM

Sounds like the Blues are coming to Nashville on Monday the 21st. can't wait for the entire schedule to be released, probaby Saturday sometime.

Predarat 01-12-2013 05:44 PM

They need to release the schedule already!

Pushead2 01-12-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9309401)
They need to release the schedule already!

This!

kcfanXIII 01-12-2013 06:26 PM

Hockey is great, but I don't watch the NHL. Kind of pissed the way the penguins used KC. I know my memory is exaggerating here, but it feels like they have a lock out, or strike every year. If there was a local team to get behind, I'm sure I could get in to it though.