ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Installing a passenger side mirror? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270970)

mikeyis4dcats. 03-11-2013 11:49 AM

why should I tip my waiter 20%? he spent what, a total of 5 minutes serving me?

:popcorn;

mikeyis4dcats. 03-11-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485144)
can you show me one post where I said...

"I'm going to get some work done on my car tomorrow and I also have a side mirror sitting in my backseat and I expect them to replace my broken one with the new one I bought and I expect them to do it for $20."

please, show me this quote

I will, once you showed me where I said you did that, dumbass.

Frosty 03-11-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485119)
I would too for a repeat customer, I put tons of light bulbs in for free too. And even scan cars.

Surely ill get roasted for it though
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, I have a lot of respect for people like you that work on customers' property. The only experience I have with it is when I installed car stereos while in college. I couldn't believe the number of people that would come back in and claim installing new speakers caused the engine to throw a rod or some such nonsense :doh!:. I can imagine it's even worse as a mechanic.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 94850)
Some people won't care, but what happens if this situations occurs to that one man who has had the car since the first day it rolled off the assembly line, and has babied it every minute of its existence? To that man, the car is worth a fortune and he's not going to just let you accidentally **** something up without you making amends for your fault. Those guys cost money, which is why we carry insurance.

When that man asks for advice, I will tell him not to go to a Mexican. Not really sure what your diatribe has to do with hootie's broken side mirror on a car he got for free. I feel fairly confident that some Mexican handyman can pop off a piece of plastic and turn three screws without accidentally wiping out a small African village.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9485148)
I will, once you showed me where I said you did that, dumbass.

I think he's referring to the other guy who is saying he's demanding something
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 03-11-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9485149)
Man, I have a lot of respect for people like you that work on customers' property. The only experience I have with it is when I installed car stereos while in college. I couldn't believe the number of people that would come back in and claim installing new speakers caused the engine to throw a rod or some such nonsense :doh!:. I can imagine it's even worse as a mechanic.

I just had a lady come in who I had put a motor in her car lady week. She just chewed my ass in front of three other customers because her right rear tire went flat last night.

You just gotta smile and go on.

Fixed her flat for free though lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie 03-11-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9485145)

agreed

I often laughed at how much money I'd make on certain large bill tables when they needed very little service; honestly...you're talking to the wrong guy. I never got mad at a bad tip, I usually would laugh at the MASSIVE AND FOR NO REASON tips etc...

I'm not the 'omg that guy didn't tip me I am going to find him and rape his family' guy. Everything always evened out and I have always said I think waitstaff is overpaid.

Old Dog 03-11-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485151)
When that man asks for advice, I will tell him not to go to a Mexican. Not really sure what your diatribe has to do with hootie's broken side mirror on a car he got for free. I feel fairly confident that some Mexican handyman can pop off a piece of plastic and turn three screws without accidentally wiping out a small African village.

I just damn near spit coffee on my keyboard reading this one. If I had, I guess I would have had to send you a bill for the repairs.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485105)
Exoter:

This is the OP. Nowhere in this entire thread did I ever DEMAND someone to fix my mirror for $20. I made this thread to figure out what the etiquette was at a body shop.

As for hiring Mexican's to do cheap labor on my car...

It's a ****ing side mirror. It's not the god damn engine. The car is 10 years old with 211,000 miles on it...I was in Dallas last year and it hailed softball size hail and left, presumably, thousands of dollars in hail damage (liability only, wish I had full coverage so I could've cashed in on that insurance check when they inevitably would have totalled out my car)...

do you really think I give a god damn **** if a Mexican has a screw driver slip when he's installing the mirror?

I mean, you guys are acting like I need a new transmission. I'm getting a side mirror put on...my ****ing God. I didn't ask for any life lessons about how 'mom and pop' body shops have to jack up the prices to stay in business...I don't give a ****.

I really don't. When something goes wrong with the car that makes me think 'oh shit', I take it to the Audi dealership and pay 40 billion dollars to get everything fixed...it was a free car, but I knew it was going to cost me an arm and a leg every time something broke down since it's an Audi...

but a side mirror? Christ. I'm sorry that these Mexican side mirror installers who charge realistic amounts of $ for work take your jerbs...

it's not my fault they are reasonable and not ****ing crooks...

I am willing to pay $20 for this side mirror install...I'm not even going to bother asking this shop what they will charge for it after this thread. I will simply do it myself, get help from my roommate, take it to my friend's junkyard and have him do it like he said he would, or hire a damn mexican. $20 is the going rate for this simple job. I'll jab a screwdriver into the paint once the Mexican is done doing it to make everyone feel better as well.

You sit here and say you didn't expect it, but you call it unreasonable and call them crooks for not doing it for 20 dollars or less.

You still do not UNDERSTAND the point everyone is driving across to you. This is a business, not a charity, kid. You might have a shitty car you don't appreciate, knowing that it'll cost a ton to fix later on, but in the eyes of a mechanic, your car is just like the next Mercedes that pulls up. Its going to cost you the same labor hour that it'll cost on the Mercedes. Why in the actual **** would you ever assume that the state of your car has anything to do with how much I'm going to charge you?

Which brings me to my second point.

Labor Hour. If you don't understand what Labor Hour is, or what it means, you shouldn't be dictating price.

Simply put, Labor Hour is what I'm going to charge you PER HOUR to fix your car. IT doesn't stop there though, because I'm probably going to pull up something like Mitchell or Alldata to find out how long it is going to take me to fix it, when you come in and ask for a quote, and I'm probably going to mark up the base labor hour by 10-25% on top of that.

Why? Because its going to cost me 400+ per day to have this building with these tools, with these employees, with the insurance to cover all of them, just to be in business. I have to make my money somewhere, and where I make it is labor hour, and parts.

Since you are bringing in a part I can't mark up, I ONLY make money on the labor hour, where I'm less likely to discount you on.

If you don't like the costs associated with running a business and having work done by professionals, use your mexicans, but understand there is nothing Constitutional or Patriotic about what you are doing, and you are only hurting the economy because you are a cheap ****.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485114)
house is the same thing as a passenger side mirror on a 2002 car

I'm lazy and refuse to do any sort of manual labor. My hands are far too nice to break a nail doing something like that...

Mexican labor is great for these instances...they charge fair price, they don't need entitlement money like 'the overworked' working American man!!!

"oh that 5 minute side mirror job!? That'll cost an hour of labor + shop time + you didn't buy the part here which is a 50% cost penalty plus a 1 time surcharge of $93.95"

!!!!

Kobe!

And this is why you're a moron. Entitled? No. Lawful and helpful to the economy? Yes.

You say reasonable to a Mexican for 20 bucks, I see liability, economic downturn, and a cheapskate.

You're all full of negativity but understand this, when they **** up something on your car, you have no ability to go after them for damages, and they won't be paying you back for their mistakes. If you did it at my shop, you'd be taken care of because you get what you pay for, and with a business, by law, I'm supposed to take care of you if I **** up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9485117)
we're speaking in general terms.

This. But, as I've said, labor hour is labor hour. It doesn't go up or down depending on the condition of the car being worked on.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9485145)

Right? I mean, the food costs like what? 3 dollars at the market? Why should I pay 20? I'll offer you 4 dollars for it since you spent 5 minutes to prepare it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9485149)

It is a nightmare is what it is. People with out common knowledge of how their vehicles work will blame you something completely unrelated.

The best, is when the cheapskates come in and you tell them that say, their right front wheel bearing is in need of immediate repair and when you quote them more than 20 bucks to replace it, they go off about the expense, then 3 weeks later you get a call with them bitching at you for the service they didn't pay for, and how their car broke down and cost them 158 dollars for a tow to a repair facility that is going to charge them 569 dollars to fix the problem.

Good god those are fun days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485151)

Its about the cost of business and the liability that comes with it, and uneducated, uninformed people causing a fuss about the service offered, because they don't understand the cost behind it all.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:04 PM

I'm full of negativity because you keep handing me these life lessons I never once asked for...

I don't give a shit what you guys charge for anything. Charge 2 billion dollars per labor hour for all I care...

this whole thread was a 'hey I think I'm going to ask these guys tomorrow if they can change out this side mirror for $20 because I just want to get it done and I was told it was a 5 minute job, what is the etiquette on that?'

to which Bwana told me 'no way in hell.'

to which I thought, cool.../thread over...glad I didn't embarrass myself

but then I get 10 life lessons and a 14,000 character post telling me how much of a dipshit I was from Mr. Body Shop Man exoter

to which I said, "fine...I'd hire a Mexican to do this easy job anyways..."

because, as cheap as you think I'm being, I DON'T NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS CAR TO REPLACE A MIRROR I DON'T EVEN REALLY USE. I'M ONLY REPLACING IT BECAUSE I FOUND THE PART ON EBAY FOR $100 AND I WAS TIRED OF DRIVING AROUND ON A BUSTED MIRROR (THAT SOMEONE VANDALIZED) AND LOOKING LIKE A ****ING SCUMBAG.

I'm not NOT paying for your LABOR HOUR because I'm cheap, I'm not paying it because it isn't worth anything to me....this car gets me to and from...it's not my 'pride and joy'...I don't give a shit what it looks like...it was a nice car for a really, really long time...now I'm just riding it out until it dies because it still runs really well.

Legitimately the only reason I am getting this fixed is because, as a respectable adult, I feel like I shouldn't be driving around with a busted side mirror and looking like I am from the god damn ghetto in a ****ing Audi.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485174)
Which brings me to my second point.

Labor Hour. If you don't understand what Labor Hour is, or what it means, you shouldn't be dictating price.

Simply put, Labor Hour is what I'm going to charge you PER HOUR to fix your car. IT doesn't stop there though, because I'm probably going to pull up something like Mitchell or Alldata to find out how long it is going to take me to fix it, when you come in and ask for a quote, and I'm probably going to mark up the base labor hour by 10-25% on top of that.

Why? Because its going to cost me 400+ per day to have this building with these tools, with these employees, with the insurance to cover all of them, just to be in business. I have to make my money somewhere, and where I make it is labor hour, and parts.

Since you are bringing in a part I can't mark up, I ONLY make money on the labor hour, where I'm less likely to discount you on.

This. But, as I've said, labor hour is labor hour. It doesn't go up or down depending on the condition of the car being worked on.

i cant see raising the labor because i didnt make money on the parts.

thats not really ethical to me, and i put parts people bring with them just about EVERY day. i charge what the labor would be and make sure to let them know AND note on the ticket that the parts were customer supplied and not under warranty in any way by my shop.

if thats not acceptable they can go elsewhere but i cant see charging more to make up for it.

book time is book time.

but again that probably why i'm still in business and running my ass off every day working on tons of cars

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:07 PM

and exoter...

I'm not the type of person to ever go into a place of business and make any demands. I may go get an estimate, and if I feel like it is too much, I don't barter. I thank them and move along...

I work in the hotel industry now and I ****ing hate people who call me and barter their rates...it happens every ****ing day and drives me crazy.

So I am not a hypocrite. Someone quotes me...I either pay it or I don't...but I don't make demands and I don't say 'how about this amount instead?' I'm not that type of person even if I wanted to be...I would find it to be awkward.

Frosty 03-11-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485203)
but again that probably why i'm still in business and running my ass off every day working on tons of cars

A good trustworthy mechanic is worth his weight in gold, imo.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485114)
house is the same thing as a passenger side mirror on a 2002 car

Kobe!

You don't get it, and never will. LMAO

Good luck. You know that you are the equivalent of the guy expecting to get a free or discounted beer even though he never tips and/or rarely comes into the bar.

"But the beer only cost you $.75! Why do you charge $3!"

Or better yet, you are the guy that tries to sneak his own beer in.

Reality is a bitch. You could have replaced the mirror yourself instead of wasting time complaining about it here.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

thats not really ethical to me, and i put parts people bring with them just about EVERY day. i charge what the labor would be and make sure to let them know AND note on the ticket that the parts were customer supplied and not under warranty in any way by my shop.

if thats not acceptable they can go elsewhere but i cant see charging more to make up for it.

book time is book time.

so I'm getting some basic electrical work done on my car today and they said since it is an Audi it'll take about an hour and cost around $120...

if this was your shop and your quote how much additional would you charge me to install my own side mirror on a car that I was told the job is VERY simple and not time consuming?

I'm honestly JUST curious.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485194)
Right? I mean, the food costs like what? 3 dollars at the market? Why should I pay 20? I'll offer you 4 dollars for it since you spent 5 minutes to prepare it.

It is a nightmare is what it is. People with out common knowledge of how their vehicles work will blame you something completely unrelated.

The best, is when the cheapskates come in and you tell them that say, their right front wheel bearing is in need of immediate repair and when you quote them more than 20 bucks to replace it, they go off about the expense, then 3 weeks later you get a call with them bitching at you for the service they didn't pay for, and how their car broke down and cost them 158 dollars for a tow to a repair facility that is going to charge them 569 dollars to fix the problem.

Good god those are fun days.

Its about the cost of business and the liability that comes with it, and uneducated, uninformed people causing a fuss about the service offered, because they don't understand the cost behind it all.

Hopefully you've never bought food from a street vendor. You can't be sure that the hotdogs are cooked properly. It's a very complicated and expensive process. If the cart explodes and kills your entire family, they probably won't even give you a free brownie with a scoop of ice cream on top.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485218)
so I'm getting some basic electrical work done on my car today and they said since it is an Audi it'll take about an hour and cost around $120...

if this was your shop and your quote how much additional would you charge me to install my own side mirror on a car that I was told the job is VERY simple and not time consuming?

in my shop?

probably right around 20 bucks. LOL. seriously.

especially if you were a repeat customer.

its a really easy job on most rigs. just gotta hold your mouth right

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485201)
I'm full of negativity because you keep handing me these life lessons I never once asked for...

I don't give a shit what you guys charge for anything. Charge 2 billion dollars per labor hour for all I care...

this whole thread was a 'hey I think I'm going to ask these guys tomorrow if they can change out this side mirror for $20 because I just want to get it done and I was told it was a 5 minute job, what is the etiquette on that?'

to which Bwana told me 'no way in hell.'

to which I thought, cool.../thread over...glad I didn't embarrass myself

but then I get 10 life lessons and a 14,000 character post telling me how much of a dipshit I was from Mr. Body Shop Man exoter

to which I said, "fine...I'd hire a Mexican to do this easy job anyways..."

because, as cheap as you think I'm being, I DON'T NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS CAR TO REPLACE A MIRROR I DON'T EVEN REALLY USE. I'M ONLY REPLACING IT BECAUSE I FOUND THE PART ON EBAY FOR $100 AND I WAS TIRED OF DRIVING AROUND ON A BUSTED MIRROR (THAT SOMEONE VANDALIZED) AND LOOKING LIKE A ****ING SCUMBAG.

I'm not NOT paying for your LABOR HOUR because I'm cheap, I'm not paying it because it isn't worth anything to me....this car gets me to and from...it's not my 'pride and joy'...I don't give a shit what it looks like...it was a nice car for a really, really long time...now I'm just riding it out until it dies because it still runs really well.

Legitimately the only reason I am getting this fixed is because, as a respectable adult, I feel like I shouldn't be driving around with a busted side mirror and looking like I am from the god damn ghetto in a ****ing Audi.

You don't get it, and it is exceptionally hard to drive the point through your head, despite the fact that I've gotten much praise in PMs and Rep for my "14,000 character posts".

The point I'm trying to drive home to you is simply this.

-You clearly do not understand how a business works, how it operates, the costs associated with US bringing the Services to YOU, and extending that coverage in the case that something bad and unforeseen happens.

You sit here and bitch about not spending more than 20 dollars to get it fixed because the car is worth nothing to you, but that isn't how a mechanic or shop owner sees it. Just because you don't have pride of ownership in your stuff, doesn't mean that we don't have pride in our work.

Even if a car is worth 1 dollar, it doesn't devalue my services offered to you, that is your choice to get it fixed, but you should NEVER assume or suspect that the cost of repair would be cheap because it is a cheap car, and that is exactly what you've done here.

You commented on the fact that you'd rather toss 20 bucks to a mexican to have them fix your car, than to have your mechanic do it, if it isn't less than 20 dollars.

All I did is explain to you how business works from inside the business all the way to the customer.

The problem here is either your skull is too thick, or you really are just too stupid in the world of business to understand what I've told you.

Not my problem.

I will admit though, I used you as a soapbox to hopefully explain to others how the business works so people like you don't make the same foolish mistakes.

Quote:

book time is book time.

Read that again Sauto, I didn't speak about raising the labor hour because I wouldn't make profit, in fact it was the inverse, that I wouldn't be lowering the labor hour because I couldn't make profit on it.

Disregard the unethical bit, it is strictly unlawful to do so in a place of business.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9485217)

Good luck. You know that you are the equivalent of the guy expecting to get a free or discounted beer even though he never tips and/or rarely comes into the bar.

Reality is a bitch. You could have replaced the mirror yourself instead of wasting time complaining about it here.

I am ignorant when it comes to cars. No doubt in my mind. I'd never say otherwise. I made this thread because I was willing to spend $20 on this process and was wondering if I'd come off as rude to make that offer when I went in today for my appointment. That was all.

As for the second part in your argument...I'm a well documented bar frequenter...I'm also a well documented douche bag.

Do you really think these bars would let me ever come back if I A) brought my own beer in and B) didn't tip?

100% of my expendable income is spent on bars and, more importantly, tips...because if I didn't tip and tip very well these bars would never let me come back in.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485235)
You don't get it, and it is exceptionally hard to drive the point through your head, despite the fact that I've gotten much praise in PMs and Rep for my "14,000 character posts".

-You clearly do not understand how a business works, how it operates, the costs associated with US bringing the Services to YOU, and extending that coverage in the case that something bad and unforeseen happens.

You sit here and bitch about not spending more than 20 dollars to get it fixed because the car is worth nothing to you, but that isn't how a mechanic or shop owner sees it. Just because you don't have pride of ownership in your stuff, doesn't mean that we don't have pride in our work.

Even if a car is worth 1 dollar, it doesn't devalue my services offered to you, that is your choice to get it fixed, but you should NEVER assume or suspect that the cost of repair would be cheap because it is a cheap car, and that is exactly what you've done here.

You commented on the fact that you'd rather toss 20 bucks to a mexican to have them fix your car, than to have your mechanic do it, if it isn't less than 20 dollars.

All I did is explain to you how business works from inside the business all the way to the customer.

The problem here is either your skull is too thick, or you really are just too stupid in the world of business to understand what I've told you.

Not my problem.

I will admit though, I used you as a soapbox to hopefully explain to others how the business works so people like you don't make the same foolish mistakes.

Read that again Sauto, I didn't speak about raising the labor hour because I wouldn't make profit, in fact it was the inverse, that I wouldn't be lowering the labor hour because I couldn't make profit on it.

Disregard the unethical bit, it is strictly unlawful to do so in a place of business.

why would you raise the labor rate 10-20% then?

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485228)
in my shop?

my roommate is a big car guy and he told me to go in there and ask them if they could do it for $20 since I already had the part and since it was such an easy thing to do...

as a person who doesn't like to make an asshole out of myself (sober at least), I made this thread to solicit opinions on whether or not this "hey by the way, I have this mirror and was wondering if I could get you to change it for like $20" would be an offensive offer and apparently not only is it offensive...but it warranted 35 life lessons.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485244)
but it warranted 35 life lessons.

This is how we roll.

You do have the unique ability to draw a lot of attention.

The Franchise 03-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

my roommate is a big car guy and he told me to go in there and ask them if they could do it for $20 since I already had the part and since it was such an easy thing to do...

as a person who doesn't like to make an asshole out of myself (sober at least), I made this thread to solicit opinions on whether or not this "hey by the way, I have this mirror and was wondering if I could get you to change it for like $20" would be an offensive offer and apparently not only is it offensive...but it warranted 35 life lessons.

I wouldn't offer up an actual number. I'd just ask them how much they would charge since they're already working on your car. If you don't like the quote....obviously don't do it.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485174)

Why? Because its going to cost me 400+ per day to have this building with these tools, with these employees, with the insurance to cover all of them, just to be in business.
I have to make my money somewhere, and where I make it is labor hour, and parts.

see here is where you said you would RAISE the labor rate by 10 - 20 %

that IMO is unethical. Book times are there for a reason.

it doesnt matter what your building and employees cost you. not making money? do better work.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485209)
and exoter...

I'm not the type of person to ever go into a place of business and make any demands. I may go get an estimate, and if I feel like it is too much, I don't barter. I thank them and move along...

I work in the hotel industry now and I ****ing hate people who call me and barter their rates...it happens every ****ing day and drives me crazy.

So I am not a hypocrite. Someone quotes me...I either pay it or I don't...but I don't make demands and I don't say 'how about this amount instead?' I'm not that type of person even if I wanted to be...I would find it to be awkward.

No, you'll post here on your personal blog about it before you even get a chance to barter, you'll have already set your rate because you don't know better, and then yell at those who seek to enlighten you so you don't make the same mistakes.

Quote:

This guy gets it :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485218)

However much the labor hour is on the repair, simple as that. If you are a buddy or repeat customer, probably free. That's how the business works. If you are some Joe Schmoe off the street, labor hour is what you get. If I NEED your business badly, I'll probably knock 20-40% off the labor hour. But you rarely see that unless it is a mom and pop shop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485226)
Hopefully you've never bought food from a street vendor. You can't be sure that the hotdogs are cooked properly. It's a very complicated and expensive processes. If the cart explodes and kills your entire family, they probably won't even give you a free brownie weigh a scoop of ice cream on top.

Street Vendors in most places are required by law to hold some kind of coverage, in this case though, there are many coverages they don't have to keep. In the case that they aren't filed as an LLC/LLP, I'll be suing them directly, if they were an LLC/LLP I'll be suing the business. However, since they are a street vendor, they don't have a landlord and thus don't cover liability for accidental mishaps in an environment, that is going to be done on a strictly "as is" basis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485228)
in my shop?

And your labor hour is like what? 50-60 bucks because you are in BFE right?

Sounds basically spot on to what I said a few quotes ago.

seclark 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9485250)
I wouldn't offer up an actual number. I'd just ask them how much they would charge since they're already working on your car. If you don't like the quote....obviously don't do it.

damn, that seems pretty ****in simple...
sec

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485235)

Not my problem.

Get the **** over yourself. He's not bitching about how much it costs. He's just saying that it isn't worth $100+ to have a mechanic snap on a mirror when he can do it himself, have a friend do it, or pay a laborer $20.

SAUTO 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

i understood the question right off.

it will never hurt to ask. all they can do is do the job or say no and laugh at you when you leave.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485241)
why would you raise the labor rate 10-20% then?

Re-read again, I wouldn't be raising my labor rate by 10-20% on a job per job basis as you imply.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:21 PM

you explained shit to me that I didn't ask to be explained...I understand 100% of what you said. I understood it the first time.

At no point did I not understand it. I GET IT.

my ****ing God

TO ME, THE GUY WITHOUT THE ****ING MIRROR, THE FIX IS WORTH $20. IF NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD WOULD FIX IT FOR $20 AND I COULDN'T FIX IT MYSELF...I JUST WOULDN'T FIX IT.

Did anyone read that 'best one line of advice' you ever got thread?

one guy's dad said to him when he was bragging about how much his comic collection was worth "it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it."

well in this case, I'm that someone...

and for someone who doesn't give a shit about this car and ALREADY HAS THE ****ING PART...it is worth $20 god damn dollars to me...if that isn't worth it to said business, then that's fine with me and I hold no ill will and totally understand.

if that $20 is worth it to a Mexican then ****ing score one for me!

PRETTY SURE I DON'T NEED A WARRANTY, LIABILITY, INSURANCE, OR A LAWYER FOR SOMEONE TO INSTALL A ****ING MIRROR THAT I ALREADY OWN AND HAVE PAID FOR...

and if it isn't worth $20 for 5 minutes of someone's time then I understand. I do. I totally get it. That's why I made the thread. I wanted to know if 'big business' auto shops would consider doing something THIS EASY for the $20 I was willing to pay for something that was offered to me free of charge.

THAT WAS ****ING IT. THE END.

EXOTER YOUR POST COULD HAVE BEEN:

HEY PEYTON'S PRINCESS, I OWN A SHOP. NO ****ING WAY WOULD WE DO THIS. DON'T EVEN ASK.

and that would have been WAY MORE INFORMATIVE TO ME then the 210,000 character life lesson you decided to give to me

notorious 03-11-2013 12:21 PM

I don't blame you for going cheap, Hootie. It's a mirror on an old car. Just have your buddy do it and drink a beer with him afterward.

Some jobs need to be done by a rock-solid business that charges full rates. A mirror is not one of them.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

I probably will do this today...

I'll be like "hey, sup bros! Notice my jacked up mirror? Well I brought the new one along and was wondering how much it would cost for you guys to snap that on for me?"

that's not a bad idea

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485251)
see here is where you said you would RAISE the labor rate by 10 - 20 %

that IMO is unethical. Book times are there for a reason.

it doesnt matter what your building and employees cost you. not making money? do better work.

You mistunderstood the quote.

What I'm saying here is that there is labor hour, and then there is MY labor hour. If you have Mitchell or Alldata, you've probably noticed that you can mark up your labor hour.

As in, if Alldata says 2.0 hours base to fix it, in the settings this can be marked up by a percentage, so when it quotes it, it'll be 2.4 hours, instead of 2.0.

Now, I don't mean for you to read this as a person to person basis or job to job basis.

What I mean by this is when I opened business, I set my markup ahead of time.

I'm trying to give this kid an idea of what it actually takes to work on his car, what its going to cost him, and WHY it costs him that much.

In the interest of full transparency, I'm letting him know exactly how the business works so he doesn't get any misunderstandings.

Sorry that it came off that way to you, but I'm writing a ton of replies in two threads right now lol.

Steron 03-11-2013 12:23 PM

I ****ing love this thread!

The Franchise 03-11-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485270)
you explained shit to me that I didn't ask to be explained...I understand 100% of what you said. I understood it the first time.

my ****ing God

TO ME, THE GUY WITHOUT THE ****ING MIRROR, THE FIX IS WORTH $20. IF NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD WOULD FIX IT FOR $20 AND I COULDN'T FIX IT MYSELF...I JUST WOULDN'T FIX IT.

one guy's dad said to him when he was bragging about how much his comic collection was worth "it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it."

and for someone who doesn't give a shit about this car and ALREADY HAS THE ****ING PART...it is worth $20 god damn dollars to me...if that isn't worth it to said business, then that's fine with me and I hold no ill will and totally understand.

PRETTY SURE I DON'T NEED A WARRANTY, LIABILITY, INSURANCE, OR A LAWYER FOR SOMEONE TO INSTALL A ****ING MIRROR THAT I ALREADY OWN AND HAVE PAID FOR...

and if it isn't worth $20 for 5 minutes of someone's time then I understand. I do. I totally get it. That's why I made the thread. I wanted to know if 'big business' auto shops would consider doing something THIS EASY for the $20 I was willing to pay for something that was offered to me free of charge.

HEY PEYTON'S PRINCESS, I OWN A SHOP. NO ****ING WAY WOULD WE DO THIS. DON'T EVEN ASK.

and that would have been WAY MORE INFORMATIVE TO ME then the 210,000 character life lesson you decided to give to me

That was me.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

This is a terrible analogy.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485286)
This is a terrible analogy.

Whoopie.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9485259)
damn, that seems pretty ****in simple...
sec

I agree, I n00bed myself. I just know I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for it...

but now that makes me cheap.

If I was ugly as sin and couldn't get a chick with a $300 bill hanging out of my zipper...

I'm not going to go to the mall and spend $500 on a new t-shirt.

Old Dog 03-11-2013 12:26 PM

What I'm getting from this thread is if I'm ever in that neck of the woods and need work done on a vehicle, there's an honest one on the board (and it ain't the one jacking up the labor rates).

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:26 PM

I'm the guy that spent $10 on XBox Live to give my avatar a Chiefs jersey and Air Jordan's...

that's how cheap I am

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9485262)
i understood the question right off.

it will never hurt to ask. all they can do is do the job or say no and laugh at you when you leave.

A couple of hours ago, I would have agreed. I now know that some self-important mechanics will insist upon lecturing him about all sorts of tangential topics in addition to swearing at him and hurling insults his way.

Go with the Mexican. It's not worth the risk of crossing paths with some insufferable asshole.

Old Dog 03-11-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485293)
I agree, I n00bed myself. I just know I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for it...
If I was ugly as sin and couldn't get a chick with a $300 bill hanging out of my zipper...

Try a $50. Even a dumb blonde knows there's no such thing as a $300 bill.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485260)
Get the **** over yourself. He's not bitching about how much it costs. He's just saying that it isn't worth $100+ to have a mechanic snap on a mirror when he can do it himself, have a friend do it, or pay a laborer $20.

Anytime Sauto starts arguing in a thread with me, there you are to talk shit on top, its like you two are paired together.

I'd be fine with your comment if that had been the case, but in the case that you didn't read this thread, he didn't say that. He didn't bitch like that. He went on a ****ing tirade about how expensive everything is and how he was getting "Screwed" because it should only take 5 minutes.

yes, it probably only will take 5 minutes, but you don't pay for 5 minutes of labor hour, you pay for the job, any marked up labor hour they have, and in many case, they won't do the job.

I explain to him and everyone else with the same misconception how this business works so they don't get the same idea this kid had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485270)

my ****ing God

You were told that, you carried on.

But, you see, there is more to it than telling you it wouldn't happen.

You need to understand WHY it wouldn't happen, because some day you might be a customer of somebody on this site, and you will establish a good relationship with them because you are that much more INFORMED on how these business are ran, so you don't insult someone, or that knowing what you know now, you can find a good, honest mechanic out there, because believe me, there are plenty of crooks out there with a Business name and Tax ID that will take your money when you aren't looking.

I'm just trying to help inform the average Joe so they know what they are dealing with.

Sorry for Enlightening you and the rest of the world so you don't look like a giant douchebag wearing an asshat.

Saccopoo 03-11-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485293)

It's a $40/$50 dollar repair on labor at a shop.

Part is $25 to $50 depending on model.

You are most likely going to ruin some of the plastic toggles that are holding the door panel on in the removal of said door panel. Also the mirror is usually attached with bolts that use a small hex head. If you don't have one, you are going to have to buy one.

My suggestion is find the part cheap on the intranets and have a shop slap it on for you. It's not a $20 repair though. It's a $40/$50 repair. And if you don't have replacement toggles and the correct tools, you're going to end up paying someone else to do it anyway once you kinda screw it up.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:32 PM

One thing is certain, Hootie can start a run-of-the-mill thread and it almost always ends up being entertaining.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485281)
You mistunderstood the quote.

What I'm saying here is that there is labor hour, and then there is MY labor hour. If you have Mitchell or Alldata, you've probably noticed that you can mark up your labor hour.

As in, if Alldata says 2.0 hours base to fix it, in the settings this can be marked up by a percentage, so when it quotes it, it'll be 2.4 hours, instead of 2.0.

Now, I don't mean for you to read this as a person to person basis or job to job basis.

What I mean by this is when I opened business, I set my markup ahead of time.

I'm trying to give this kid an idea of what it actually takes to work on his car, what its going to cost him, and WHY it costs him that much.

In the interest of full transparency, I'm letting him know exactly how the business works so he doesn't get any misunderstandings.

Sorry that it came off that way to you, but I'm writing a ton of replies in two threads right now lol.

You're a ****ing crook. If it takes 2 hours to do a job, and you bill it at 2.4, **** you for being a thief. Charge whatever the **** you want per hour. Just don't lie about the number of hours. That is outright theft.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

I'd be fine with your comment if that had been the case, but in the case that you didn't read this thread, he didn't say that. He didn't bitch like that. He went on a ****ing tirade about how expensive everything is and how he was getting "Screwed" because it should only take 5 minutes.
WTF are you talking about?!

The first time I bitched in this entire thread was when I, half asleep, read the 2.5 million character life lesson you handed me last night...

I couldn't believe a simple question turned into me being an ignorant dipshit who didn't know anything about business or the business world...

all because I had purchased a side mirror from ebay, had a previous appointment at a body shop scheduled for today, and wanted to know if they would do a small task like this for $20 or if I should just have a friend do it for free...

no bitching happened until your 5.2 billion character life lesson post set me off

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9483569)
what I'm trying to say is...I'm on tap for about $100 of work tomorrow and with that I don't expect to pay more than $20 for them to install the mirror...is that reasonable? If they want to charge me more I already have a friend who said he'd do it free of charge but I rather not use his time if I can just pay $20 or so when I'm already taking my car in tomorrow as is

THIS IS POST FOUR OF THE THREAD AND THIS IS WHY I RECEIVED A LIFE LESSON OF 9.1 TRILLION CHARACTERS.

I even asked if it was reasonable...to which Bwana said '**** no', and then I just assumed this thread would die because I understood.

but no...a 21 trillion character life lesson ensued.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9485298)
What I'm getting from this thread is if I'm ever in that neck of the woods and need work done on a vehicle, there's an honest one on the board (and it ain't the one jacking up the labor rates).

Labor Hour, you mean, and its how just about everybody does business.

I mean, there are those on this board that buy ASE signs and hang them at their shops without earning their certificates.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485299)
I'm the guy that spent $10 on XBox Live to give my avatar a Chiefs jersey and Air Jordan's...

that's how cheap I am

And yet you wouldn't spend more than 20 dollars to fix a mirror to increase your safety and the safety of everyone around you, in a vehicle that is likely your lifeblood for getting you to school or work?

yeah, that makes sense dude.LMAOROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485301)
A couple of hours ago, I would have agreed. I now know that some self-important mechanics will insist upon lecturing him about all sorts of tangential topics in addition to swearing at him and hurling insults his way.

Go with the Mexican. It's not worth the risk of crossing paths with some insufferable asshole.

Instead of being passive aggressive, why don't you get it out and say what you mean?

I'm enlightening the kid, and you're just pissy because I decided to explain to you A. the risks involved with fixing your own brakes and B. how the ****ing world works in business.

My bad, I'll skip the educational process of America and NOT enlighten those I might do business with, so I can deal with the headaches later of running into some guy who wants a motor swap done for 20 dollars because he drives an 81 civic work 50 bucks and doesn't want the cost of the work to go over the cost of the car.:banghead:

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485305)
Anytime Sauto starts arguing in a thread with me, there you are to talk shit on top, its like you two are paired together.

yes, it probably only will take 5 minutes, but you don't pay for 5 minutes of labor hour, you pay for the job, any marked up labor hour they have, and in many case, they won't do the job.

I explain to him and everyone else with the same misconception how this business works so they don't get the same idea this kid had.

You were told that, you carried on.

But, you see, there is more to it than telling you it wouldn't happen.

You need to understand WHY it wouldn't happen, because some day you might be a customer of somebody on this site, and you will establish a good relationship with them because you are that much more INFORMED on how these business are ran, so you don't insult someone, or that knowing what you know now, you can find a good, honest mechanic out there, because believe me, there are plenty of crooks out there with a Business name and Tax ID that will take your money when you aren't looking.

I'm just trying to help inform the average Joe so they know what they are dealing with.

Sorry for Enlightening you and the rest of the world so you don't look like a giant douchebag wearing an asshat.

The only enlightenment you've done is to highlight what a ****ing shyster you are.

Steron 03-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9485315)
One thing is certain, Hootie can start a run-of-the-mill thread and it almost always ends up being entertaining.

I keep hitting refresh HOPING for a new post. My God, I need a life.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485327)
THIS IS POST FOUR OF THE THREAD AND THIS IS WHY I RECEIVED A LIFE LESSON OF 9.1 TRILLION CHARACTERS.

I even asked if it was reasonable...to which Bwana said '**** no', and then I just assumed this thread would die because I understood.

but no...a 21 trillion character life lesson ensued.

Well, you kind of bring it on yourself by responding to every post.

I don't want you to stop, though. This thread is getting me thorugh a day of sickness.

Saccopoo 03-11-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485299)

that's how cheap I am

That's $10 more than I'd ever spend on an XBox Live Avatar.

If you can piss away $10 on an avatar, the $40 to pay a shop to make sure your window gets put on correctly is going to be a bargain.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485329)
Labor Hour, you mean, and its how just about everybody does business.

I mean, there are those on this board that buy ASE signs and hang them at their shops without earning their certificates.........

And yet you wouldn't spend more than 20 dollars to fix a mirror to increase your safety and the safety of everyone around you, in a vehicle that is likely your lifeblood for getting you to school or work?

yeah, that makes sense dude.LMAOROFL

Instead of being passive aggressive, why don't you get it out and say what you mean?

I'm enlightening the kid, and you're just pissy because I decided to explain to you A. the risks involved with fixing your own brakes and B. how the ****ing world works in business.

My bad, I'll skip the educational process of America and NOT enlighten those I might do business with, so I can deal with the headaches later of running into some guy who wants a motor swap done for 20 dollars because he drives an 81 civic work 50 bucks and doesn't want the cost of the work to go over the cost of the car.:banghead:

Passive aggressive? Who is being passive aggressive? I'm not dropping subtle, backhanded digs. I'm saying flat-out that you are a crook. Nothing passive aggressive about it.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485316)
You're a ****ing crook. If it takes 2 hours to do a job, and you bill it at 2.4, **** you for being a thief. Charge whatever the **** you want per hour. Just don't lie about the number of hours. That is outright theft.

Then every mechanic you know, including Sauto is a crook.

Also, it shows to me that you know nothing about the business.

let me give you a hypothetical of how this works.

My labor hour is $80 an hour
My labor hour markup is 10%
You Car is booking at 2.2 Hours to fix (2.0 standard)
It takes me 45 minutes to fix.

Every business is going to charge you that 2.2 Hours to fix, unless they are the 1% of business out there that don't mark their labor hour up. In which case you get charged for 2.0 hours.

It still took us 45 minutes to fix, and you get charged 2 hours.

Are we crooks then?

If you say yes, then it appears to me that you haven't read a god damned thing in this thread, and are only trying to troll at this point, because your lack of business sense or reading comprehension are low or non existent.

Old Dog 03-11-2013 12:40 PM

It's a rare day indeed when I agree with Saul Good very many times, but I must agree. It appears to be pissing off Extorter, but I've always believed in calling a spade a spade (or a thief a thief in this instance).

Reps to Saul

seclark 03-11-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9485315)

i know...i wonder if the dude that kicked the shit out of that mirror had any idea what he was starting.;)
sec

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485330)
The only enlightenment you've done is to highlight what a ****ing shyster you are.

Actually, I think there would a lot of people who disagree with you, I'm just unveiling what goes on behind the scenes at every shop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485342)
Passive aggressive? Who is being passive aggressive? I'm not dropping subtle, backhanded digs. I'm saying flat-out that you are a crook. Nothing passive aggressive about it.

You are now, but you weren't before saying that there are "crooks on this board" when you were clearly talking to me.

Funny thing is, I am no crook, I'm the one here walking through the business process step by step with everyone so they know how to work.

You call me a shyster, but your best buddy Sauto who claims to be a master tech, couldn't even explain to me which tests he took to become a master tech.

If anyone is the Shyster, it is him. But that is an argument for another thread, just like your passive aggressive posts should be kept to another thread.

The problem with that? You have a hardon for me because I insulted Sauto and you are his right hand man, he gives, you take, its a happy marriage between you two.J

Get off my nuts Saul, you aren't ready for them.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9485349)
i know...i wonder if the dude that kicked the shit out of that mirror had any idea what he was starting.;)
sec

ROFL

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9485339)
That's $10 more than I'd ever spend on an XBox Live Avatar.

If you can piss away $10 on an avatar, the $40 to pay a shop to make sure your window gets put on correctly is going to be a bargain.

yeah my roommate LOL'd at me when I did it...

but Scary Berry 29 looks pretty fly with his Air Jordan 12s

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9485348)
It's a rare day indeed when I agree with Saul Good very many times, but I must agree. It appears to be pissing off Extorter, but I've always believed in calling a spade a spade (or a thief a thief in this instance).

Reps to Saul

Explain to me how I am a thief, I'd love to hear that.

Not a single business in this country charges their labor hour based on the actual time spent. Not even ol' buddy Sauto can claim that with a straight face.

Steron 03-11-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485344)

Every business is going to charge you that 2.2 Hours to fix, unless they are the 1% of business out there that don't mark their labor hour up. In which case you get charged for 2.0 hours.

Are we crooks then?

If you say yes, then it appears to me that you haven't read a god damned thing in this thread, and are only trying to troll at this point, because your lack of business sense or reading comprehension are low or non existent.

Forgive me if this question is crazy. I really have no idea how the auto repair business works. Is the Labor Hour price fixed? Or is it based on the experience of the mechanic doing the work? If a mechanic with 20 years experience fixes my car, is the charge more than if one with 1 year is doing it?

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485344)

Are we crooks then?

Yes. You are an unethical crook. Padding hours is theft.

notorious 03-11-2013 12:45 PM

You won't get charged more for the job, but the per hour charge will be higher.

Experienced guy = less time for same price

Typically that is how it ends up.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9485363)
Forgive me if this question is crazy. I really have no idea how the auto repair business works. Is the Labor Hour price fixed? Or is it based on the experience of the mechanic doing the work? If a mechanic with 20 years experience fixes my car, is the charge more than if one with 1 year is doing it?

The Labor Hour Price is not only fixed for every business, but it SHOULD be visibly posted for you to see, so you can be the judge of what is going on. It should not be hidden, and it should be posted in multiple locations.

Labor Price will depend on the shop. Some ships will charge more than others, some will undercut for business, some will increase it so they can slow down the number of cars coming in because they are swamped.

It can, however, change at any time, but it should NEVER change for you once you walk in that door.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9485363)

They can raise their rates up to whatever they want. Rounding up hours is borderline unethical. At the very least, it should be disclosed that they bill based on full hours, minimum labor charges, book times, etc. Simply fabricating hours that were never worked and never should have been worked is theft. (It's also illegal.)

Source: I used to work as an insurance adjuster.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485368)
Yes. You are an unethical crook. Padding hours is theft.

You don't understand how business works and you just called your buddy Sauto a crook as well.

We don't charge based on how long it takes us to fix it. We don't charge based on flat book hour as well, 99.9% of the time that book hour is marked up.

Did you also know that both Mitchell and Alldata have different book hours for everything? So I can pick and choose what I want to book if I was really that interested in spending that much time to steal your monies.

I've had times where it took me over book hour to fix something, I didn't charge them more.

Somehow I'm a crook. Sweet.

DeezNutz 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Mechanics don't punch a clock in and out on a job. From my understanding, most repairs have a "set time" in the books for how long they should take. If the mechanics finish early, customers aren't catching a break on cost.

Steron 03-11-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9485371)
You won't get charged more for the job, but the per hour charge will be higher.

Experienced guy = less time for same price

Typically that is how it ends up.

Even if both are working at the same shop? I would guess that the more experienced tech gets the more difficult jobs.

Just for argument's sake.

Hootie's mirror is a 2 hour job. A newer guy gets this assignment. Is there still the 2.4 hour quote or based on simplicity, does it get a 2 hour quote?

Say my transmission is an 8 hour job. An experienced guy gets that assignment. Does the labor hour quote get the added .4 based on having to pay that tech more?

**Nevermind** It got answered as I was posting this**

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:50 PM

Exoter: Let us know the name of your shop if you're so proud of your business practices.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485379)
They can raise their rates up to whatever they want. Rounding up hours is borderline unethical. At the very least, it should be disclosed that they bill based on full hours, minimum labor charges, book times, etc. Simply fabricating hours that were never worked and never should have been worked is theft. (It's also illegal.)

Source: I used to work as an insurance adjuster.

So, which am I? Because according to your post here, I'm an honest businessman, but a few posts back I am a crook.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9485383)
Mechanics don't punch a clock in and out on a job. From my understanding, most repairs have a "set time" in the books for how long they should take. If the mechanics finish early, customers aren't catching a break on cost.

Bingo.

King_Chief_Fan 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485362)
Explain to me how I am a thief, I'd love to hear that.

Not a single business in this country charges their labor hour based on the actual time spent. Not even ol' buddy Sauto can claim that with a straight face.

:banghead:

so, are you up front with the customer and tell them that it takes 45 minutes to fix but I am charging you for two hours?
Are you going to pay the plumber for two hours work when he does 1 hour worth? YOu would raise all kinds of hillbilly hell if a plumber did that to you.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Right, but you don't get to bill for the book hours times 120% just because you feel like it.

King_Chief_Fan 03-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

then the book should be updated and allow the business to get a few more suckers...er I mean customers in the repair shop

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485387)
Exoter: Let us know the name of your shop if you're so proud of your business practices.

I don't own or run a shop anymore, as you know full well before asking the question. My partner and I both sold out of that shop to take higher paying jobs at dealerships, spending way less hours for more money.

You knew that before you asked the question, but you believe that since I no longer own a business, that I am somehow discredited from discussion, right?

Or you attempt to use the fact that I no longer own the business, as a reason to attack me, slandering me along the way.

right? Thought so. As predictable as ever.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:53 PM

in conclusion;

no one knows how business works, you know, other than exoter

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485389)
So, which am I? Because according to your post here, I'm an honest businessman, but a few posts back I am a crook.

The ****? You aren't honest. You fabricate hours out of whole cloth and bill your clients for time you never spent working on their vehicle.

DeezNutz 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485394)
Right, but you don't get to bill for the book hours times 120% just because you feel like it.

Yeah, that would be unethical. Rates shouldn't be set capriciously.