ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money How does one get credit? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271699)

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9549964)
The ultimate goal is to have a fico score of zero because that means you don't need to borrow money.

bah.....

credit is a tool, just like a rifle or a tractor....

you can do a lot with tools, or you can roll your self over on your riding lawn mower if you are a moron

just be wise and use your tools properly..

you never know when you may need credit...it sure is handy....when you need it

keep your rifle oiled up....ready for battle

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9550025)
I couldn't get mine above 720 until I decided to run a balance on my credit cards for a few months and then pay the balance off. I've done that a couple of times and my score is 805 now. Forever I paid the balance off every month and my credit score wouldn't change. It seems a little silly now, considering the fact that I have about 80K in my savings account now but I can't refinance my home with that high of a credit score because my mortgage with BOA wasn't sold to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Banks punish people for being responsible and paying their bills on time every month yet will refinance and modify loans for all of the people that are months behind on their mortgage and borrowed more than they can afford.

That is totally ****ed up...

No wonder why this country is in the shape it's in :(

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9550025)
I couldn't get mine above 720 until I decided to run a balance on my credit cards for a few months and then pay the balance off. I've done that a couple of times and my score is 805 now.

i could be wrong but i dont believe you need to run a balance, you just need to pay the bill AFTER the report date so your balance gets reported......so pay it online like the last day you can, and it SHOULD have the same affect...

from what i understand.....and i guess it could depend on the card....

as long as the debt is reported you should not need to keep the balance.....thats the idea anyway...(if you charge something, and pay it off before it is reported to the big 3, they may never know you HAD the debt...)

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 03:10 PM

another way around that would be to do a balance transfer or other special offer where they let you keep a 0 interest balance for a few months, that way it gets reported for sure

Spott 04-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9550041)
i could be wrong but i dont believe you need to run a balance, you just need to pay the bill AFTER the report date so your balance gets reported......so pay it online like the last day you can, and it SHOULD have the same affect...

from what i understand.....and i guess it could depend on the card....

as long as the debt is reported you should not need to keep the balance.....thats the idea anyway...(if you charge something, and pay it off before it is reported to the big 3, they may never know you HAD the debt...)

Well what I would do was pay half the balance for a few months straight and then pay it off over a period of a couple of more months. I ate some finance charges but I guess running up a balance and paying it off is more credible that just paying your entire bill on time every month while you are still charging the same amount.

KCGal 04-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9550027)
bah.....

credit is a tool, just like a rifle or a tractor....

you can do a lot with tools, or you can roll your self over on your riding lawn mower if you are a moron

just be wise and use your tools properly..

you never know when you may need credit...it sure is handy....when you need it

keep your rifle oiled up....ready for battle

I would argue credit is a tool in the same way liposuction is a tool. If you've been making good choices more often than not, eating healthy and exercising, you don't need it. But if that's not the case there's always liposuction.

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9550044)
another way around that would be to do a balance transfer or other special offer where they let you keep a 0 interest balance for a few months, that way it gets reported for sure

No balance to transfer

loochy 04-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCGal (Post 9550048)
I would argue credit is a tool in the same way liposuction is a tool. If you've been making good choices more often than not, eating healthy and exercising, you don't need it. But if that's not the case there's always liposuction.

need it to buy a house

who has cash to buy a house? not many.

Dayze 04-02-2013 03:13 PM

just be sure you charge your Chiefs playoff tickets.

Spott 04-02-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9550029)
That is totally ****ed up...

No wonder why this country is in the shape it's in :(

Exactly. I've gone to 5 or 6 banks including my own, and they won't refinance unless I put even more down. Every single one of those banks has advised me to skip my house payment for a few months to get BOA more interested in refinancing or modifying my loan. The whole idea seems pretty screwed up to me.

The Franchise 04-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9550056)
Exactly. I've gone to 5 or 6 banks including my own, and they won't refinance unless I put even more down. Every single one of those banks has advised me to skip my house payment for a few months to get BOA more interested in refinancing or modifying my loan. The whole idea seems pretty screwed up to me.

Skip your house payment and **** your credit up?

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9550050)
need it to buy a house

here is another reason (this happened to me)

I found a little rental i wanted to buy.....but it was ****ed up bad....no lender would lend on it. I used my savings to buy it cash, fix it up........and then a year later i got a mortgage on it to get my savings back.

situations like that are not uncommon....

KCGal 04-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9550050)
need it to buy a house

Preach it!!

I was talking more about credit cards. Sorry should have made that more clear.

Spott 04-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9550061)
Skip your house payment and **** your credit up?

Well, apparently in my situation having perfect credit since I was 18(I'm 40 now) is worthless so I might as well. I'd even considered letting the place go and buying another house in cash now that the market is about 30-40% of the values they were about 5 years ago.

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

I would argue that if your fat ugly bitch ass cant tell the difference between lipstick, a hammer and liposuction that you are probably beyond liposuction into the hammer and chisel stage.

credit is MUCH more like the exercise in your example than liposuction if you arent a ****ing idiot

BlackHelicopters 04-02-2013 03:22 PM

Are you currently menstruating?

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 03:50 PM

Well after further review, CreditKarma is not reporting me right..

It says on their website they get their info directly from Transunion and for some reason when I try to get my free annul report from Transunion it tells me they can't verify me even though I know I am entering the correct info.

CreditKarma is reporting that I have 0 credit cards and when I use their simulator to add one with a 4k balance that I have had since 2001 with never a late payment it rates me at over a mid 700 credit score...

I just ordered my credit report at Transunion along with my credit score (cs costs 7.95) and if they do not show my credit card on their report I am going to dispute my info with them since the other 2 reporting agencies show the CC on my report so obviously Capital one and the cc's that I am given choices to acquire is going by my Transunion report and rating me low as a result....

It may take this process a few weeks but when I know something I will report back... An accurate mid 700's cs is good enough for me

mikeyis4dcats. 04-02-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9549986)
Hell I don't even see a credit card without a yearly fee I qualify for :cuss:

where are you looking for cards? There are dozens of no annual fee credit cards. Just go to aa.com and sign up for a credit card....

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9550278)
where are you looking for cards? There are dozens of no annual fee credit cards. Just go to aa.com and sign up for a credit card....

If Transunion gets my report fixed right i SHOULD qualify for some cash back cards with no annual fee....

Thats what I am looking for basically... Just letting the 11 year old card sit and getting a good rewards/cash card and just pay it off every month like I do the one I have now

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Some people just may not have a few hundred thousand in cash to pay for a home. Credit can come in handy.

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9550220)
Well after further review, CreditKarma is not reporting me right..

It says on their website they get their info directly from Transunion and for some reason when I try to get my free annul report from Transunion it tells me they can't verify me even though I know I am entering the correct info.

CreditKarma is reporting that I have 0 credit cards and when I use their simulator to add one with a 4k balance that I have had since 2001 with never a late payment it rates me at over a mid 700 credit score...

I just ordered my credit report at Transunion along with my credit score (cs costs 7.95) and if they do not show my credit card on their report I am going to dispute my info with them since the other 2 reporting agencies show the CC on my report so obviously Capital one and the cc's that I am given choices to acquire is going by my Transunion report and rating me low as a result....

It may take this process a few weeks but when I know something I will report back... An accurate mid 700's cs is good enough for me

those 3rd party places are shitty....I'm just wondering why they charged you 8 bux (no biggy i know) because you should be able to get 1 free credit report every 12 months....from each of the 3

i believe it is:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9550384)
those 3rd party places are shitty....I'm just wondering why they charged you 8 bux (no biggy i know) because you should be able to get 1 free credit report every 12 months....from each of the 3

i believe it is:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I got the credit report free but the annualcreditreport.com which by law has to provide you with one free credit report per year by the big 3 does not include a credit score just a report.

TambaBerry 04-02-2013 04:29 PM

I have the same credit score as you after i went deliquent on some medical bills that i can't pay.

Hootie 04-02-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9549986)
Hell I don't even see a credit card without a yearly fee I qualify for :cuss:

then you are lying to us about something

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9550397)
I got the credit report free but the annualcreditreport.com which by law has to provide you with one free credit report per year by the big 3 does not include a credit score just a report.

ahhhh

KCGal 04-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9550320)
Some people just may not have a few hundred thousand in cash to pay for a home. Credit can come in handy.

I was referring to credit cards not mortgages.

So sorry I caused offense. Just sharing a change in my thinking that led to a simpler less stressful life which doesn't include worrying about my FICO score.

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9550435)
then you are lying to us about something

No I am not, I think transunion is not reporting my credit card and have a mistake on my report...

Once you pay everything off and have no debts reporting, you will see a credit score drop regardless of how much money you have.

Thats why it is VITAL my limited reporting is being reported correctly.

Ming the Merciless 04-02-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCGal (Post 9550465)
I was referring to credit cards not mortgages.

So sorry I caused offense. Just sharing a change in my thinking that led to a simpler less stressful life which doesn't include worrying about my FICO score.

this is a bullshit answer.and the opposite of your 1st statement..just like your 1st example...it would be the equivalent of not worrying about your health or watching what you eat or worrying about exercise.....etc

the bottom line is you can take simple preventative steps to ensure you maintain good health AND credit health which will be much more stress free in the long run than 'not worrying about it'

perhaps you should get out of the advice business

Hootie 04-02-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9550469)
No I am not, I think transunion is not reporting my credit card and have a mistake on my report...

Once you pay everything off and have no debts reporting, you will see a credit score drop regardless of how much money you have.

Thats why it is VITAL my limited reporting is being reported correctly.

Capital One will give ANYONE with either no credit (and no flaws) or a score in the mid 600s a REWARDS card with no yearly fee.

So will barclays...

so will a lot of other places

2 years ago I got two cash back $0 annual fee credit cards with a score of 640 due to a defaulted student loan that I rehabilitated and paid back in full 5 years back

now I'm in the low 700s...not great, but not bad for letting a loan default (one that I didn't even know about since I took it when I was 18 for beer money because I'm an idiot)

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9550512)
Capital One will give ANYONE with either no credit (and no flaws) or a score in the mid 600s a REWARDS card with no yearly fee.

So will barclays...

so will a lot of other places

2 years ago I got two cash back $0 annual fee credit cards with a score of 640 due to a defaulted student loan that I rehabilitated and paid back in full 5 years back

now I'm in the low 700s...not great, but not bad for letting a loan default (one that I didn't even know about since I took it when I was 18 for beer money because I'm an idiot)

I went to credit cards.com and I be damned if they offer one to me with my mid 600's that is being reported.

That don't matter at all to me though now if my score is actually in the 700's and is being mis reported... I will know exactly whats going on in a few days... I never apply for credit so I am not real good at it and could be doing shit wrong or something... Who knows...

HMc 04-02-2013 05:25 PM

can't believe people took the bait on this obvious bragpost.

I don't want credit but am going to act like I might in order to take the opportunity to remind everyone how much of an awesome money manager I am.

The Franchise 04-02-2013 05:30 PM

Dude.....I can't really stand R8ers....but even I knew that this was a legitimate question.

HMc 04-02-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9550725)
Dude.....I can't really stand R8ers....but even I knew that this was a legitimate question.

Can he not access google?

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9550725)

Now why the hell can't you stand me? What have I ever did to you? Talk shit about your football team?

Cmon man, that's no reason

R8RFAN 04-02-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9550732)
Can he not access google?

No I can't... Can you access a Bag O Dicks? Extra Large?

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-02-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9550794)
No I can't... Can you access a Bag O Dicks? Extra Large?

I can. How many you want ?

houstonwhodat 04-02-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9549855)
Credit report is a fraud. In order to get credit you have to create dept to pay off in time. When you have everything paid off and don't generate more credit debt then you just stay the same. It's ****ing dumb. Kids out of high school have to earn credit to start out in life and that meens they have to create debt to have credit. This is how I see it.

Biggest scam in history.

You can't credit unless you don't need it.

The OP sounds like he doesn't need it.

**** it leave it the way it is.

Get an Amex with no limit for emergencies and you are golden.

SLAG 04-02-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9551125)
Biggest scam in history.

You can't credit unless you don't need it.

The OP sounds like he doesn't need it.

**** it leave it the way it is.

Get an Amex with no limit for emergencies and you are golden.

Why not save for Emergencies and quit playing the Bank's game

I know its hard for people to live within their means -but at some point you'll get sick of money coming in with all of it going to the bank..

scho63 04-02-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9549847)
Yall know the story about me... I am going to be a bit vague here..

#1 100% Debt Free
#2 Low 6 figure savings
#3 Mid 6 Figure retirement (401k)
#4 No Credit Card debt
#5 DTI (Debt to income ratio =0)
#Paid 30 yr mortgage off in 5.5 years
#Bought car on 4 year financing in 2005 paid off in 2 years
#Bought Car with 4 year financing in 2002 also paid off in 2 years
# Have 1 bank credit card (Visa) Pay off in full every month
Income per year is High 5 figures to low 6 figures per year

No bankruptcies or late payments ever on any thing I ever bought since the early 90's.

I am not interested in buying anything or looking to buy anything but why is my credit score in the mid 600's and how do I get it to go up?

I am fully prepared for a bunch of stupid comments that I am just going to filter through to get to the legitimate ones so fire away... I know there are a bunch of people on this forum that make good money and are pretty smart except for their choice in a football team so give me some pointers.

Being Debt free is wonderful but if I ever choose to go buy someting like a stupid cell phone on a contract (which I haven't) I am going to be super pissed having that kind of coin and getting turned down...

Fire away

You don't really have a CREDIT history, you have a savings and investment history. (Which is excellent!)

TribalElder 04-02-2013 08:08 PM

Your shit is paid for and you have 6 figures in savings but your looking for a credit line? Why?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-02-2013 08:11 PM

I don't believe he's really a Faider fan

houstonwhodat 04-02-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9551134)
Why not save for Emergencies and quit playing the Bank's game

I know its hard for people to live within their means -but at some point you'll get sick of money coming in with all of it going to the bank..

I say it's OK to get a credit card with a very high limit for emergencies for when you are traveling and stuff.

Just don't have a balance.

Keep paying everything in cash.

**** these banks, they don't care about you.

You're just a revenue stream to them.

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9551380)
I say it's OK to get a credit card with a very high limit for emergencies for when you are traveling and stuff.

Just don't have a balance.

Keep paying everything in cash.

**** these banks, they don't care about you.

You're just a revenue stream to them.

I don't pay for anything in cash unless I have to. Get at least 2% back on everything (5% on most), never paid a cent in credit card interest.

lewdog 04-02-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9551427)
I don't pay for anything in cash unless I have to. Get at least 2% back on everything (5% on most), never paid a cent in credit card interest.

This and all of this.

I have over 10k in available credit but have never acquired interest as I pay it off every month and I use my CC for every purchase I make.

My credit score is 779 and I have never taken out a car loan and don't have a mortgage yet but I had a credit card at age 15 to build credit history thanks to my parents suggestion.

I don't see why you care though R8ers if you aren't looking for available credit and already own your house?

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9551427)

Link? What card is that?

Jewish Rabbi 04-02-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9551575)
Link? What card is that?

I use the Priceline Rewards Visa, there's also a Fidelity Amex out there.
https://www.pricelinerewardsvisa.com/

Use PenFed Cash rewards for 5% on gas.
US Bank Cash+ gives me 5% on bill pay (which they're doing away with) and restaurants.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 6% on groceries.
And Chase Freedom and Discover More have rotating quarterly 5% categories.

ChiTown 04-02-2013 09:26 PM

Why the **** are you asking these questions on a Chiefs MSG board?

I agree with HMc on this one. This is about you flaunting your money, as it were. Your posting habits suggest this to be true. I do, however, Applaud you for being responsible and capable of putting money aside for your retirement. I just think you take interesting and repeated attempts to strut your finances in front of people.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9551364)
Your shit is paid for and you have 6 figures in savings but your looking for a credit line? Why?

May want to buy another house one day or when me and the wife ages we may want to sell this house and buy a condo without yard work and stuff without having to pay cash for it as well as having a little tax shelter

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9551815)
Why the **** are you asking these questions on a Chiefs MSG board?

I agree with HMc on this one. This is about you flaunting your money, as it were. Your posting habits suggest this to be true. I do, however, Applaud you for being responsible and capable of putting money aside for your retirement. I just think you take interesting and repeated attempts to strut your finances in front of people.

You are most certainly entitled to think the way you want but you are wrong here.
When I started this thread I could not figure for the life of me why I should have a middle 600 credit score and after reading some responses and some talking about their credit score I ordered my credit report and score from transunion because I am sure that they are not reporting my 11 year old credit card and pulling my score down...

How much money I have or you have is not important actually but I never discuss my money with real life friends, it's better to talk to those who don't know you

Deberg_1990 04-03-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9552523)
You are most certainly entitled to think the way you want but you are wrong here.
When I started this thread I could not figure for the life of me why I should have a middle 600 credit score and after reading some responses and some talking about their credit score I ordered my credit report and score from transunion because I am sure that they are not reporting my 11 year old credit card and pulling my score down...

How much money I have or you have is not important actually but I never discuss my money with real life friends, it's better to talk to those who don't know you

If it wasnt about you "puffing your chest" a little bit, you wouldnt have posted this:

#1 100% Debt Free
#2 Low 6 figure savings
#4 No Credit Card debt

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 11:09 AM

Ok I may have more money than those who are crying about it... Who cares..

I probably don't deserve it and I should share it with all the needy poor liberals of the world right?

BigMeatballDave 04-03-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9552603)
If it wasnt about you "puffing your chest" a little bit, you wouldnt have posted this:

#1 100% Debt Free
#2 Low 6 figure savings
#4 No Credit Card debt

If I were THIS financially responsible, I'd brag, too.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9553263)
If I were THIS financially responsible, I'd brag, too.

I have done nothing that the normal blue collar working joe can't do if he is disciplined with his money. It's not like I was given anything.

I am not special, never claimed to be just disciplined when it comes to money...

I wish I were this disciplined in the way I eat and the way I take care of myself.

Plenty of people on this forum have higher paying jobs and have alot more money than I do, I am not envious of them.. I like to hear success stories. It also gives me ideas to improve my situation, I have evolved a bit, I use to think ALL credit was bad but now I do not feel that way when you use it as a tool to make more money.

There are people in this world no matter what you do will try to tear you down... Those people are no good for you in your life.

Mr. Laz 04-03-2013 11:49 AM

get a credit card and use it all the time ... use it even when you don't need to

pay off any big balance immediately to save you money but you might want to pay the minimum and carry over the balance on some small amounts every so often.

ChiTown 04-03-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9553203)
Ok I may have more money than those who are crying about it... Who cares..

I probably don't deserve it and I should share it with all the needy poor liberals of the world right?

or not?:D

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9553331)
get a credit card and use it all the time ... use it even when you don't need to

pay off any big balance immediately to save you money but you might want to pay the minimum and carry over the balance on some small amounts every so often.

I want to get a good decent rewards card that I can do that with when I finish this transunion credit report dispute

alnorth 04-03-2013 12:01 PM

Honestly, I am mystified.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are talking about carrying a small balance, and having a higher credit limit would be good, etc. But that should be the difference between "only" having a low to mid 700 score, and being among the elite. Those are the things you do to get that last little bit in your score. How the hell are you mid-600's? When I got my mortgage a few years ago, my situation was worse than yours and I had high-600's.

I know you said you had a bank card, but is that being treated as a regularly-reported credit card? I mean, if you had ZERO revolving credit, then maybe that'll explain it. Get a credit card, use it once in a blue moon, and that should fix it.

Other than that, are you sure you don't have a ding or late-pay reported on there somewhere? mid-600's is awfully low given the info in the OP.

alnorth 04-03-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9550700)
can't believe people took the bait on this obvious bragpost.

I don't want credit but am going to act like I might in order to take the opportunity to remind everyone how much of an awesome money manager I am.

I disagree. If his score is in the mid-600's thats a problem if he ever has to borrow money, and if he doesn't supply the information that you see as bragging, then we can't answer his question.

Based on what he's posted, his score should not be that low, he has a legit problem.

Rasputin 04-03-2013 12:08 PM

Wait.

Misleading thread title from a raider fan.

Raiders don't need credit when they steal what they want.

loochy 04-03-2013 12:08 PM

when you want credit

you get it

at bill geer

alnorth 04-03-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCGal (Post 9549968)
Yep we are brainwashed into thinking we need a good FICO score. All that does is show the bank if you are a good little customer. Meaning you like to borrow money and you are pretty good at paying them when you tell you too.

The ultimate goal is to have a fico score of zero because that means you don't need to borrow money.

If you achieve this "ultimate goal", then you'll pay a lot more for auto and home insurance. Your credit impacts you financially even if you don't borrow money.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9553370)
Honestly, I am mystified.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are talking about carrying a small balance, and having a higher credit limit would be good, etc. But that should be the difference between "only" having a low to mid 700 score, and being among the elite. Those are the things you do to get that last little bit in your score. How the hell are you mid-600's? When I got my mortgage a few years ago, my situation was worse than yours and I had high-600's.

I know you said you had a bank card, but is that being treated as a regularly-reported credit card? I mean, if you had ZERO revolving credit, then maybe that'll explain it. Get a credit card, use it once in a blue moon, and that should fix it.

Other than that, are you sure you don't have a ding or late-pay reported on there somewhere? mid-600's is awfully low given the info in the OP.

Never a late payment anywhere.... CreditKarma is reporting that score and they say they get all of their info from Transunion but creditkarma does not even list the only credit card I have owned for 11+ years and it appears on the site I have made zero payments on anything since 2009 when I paid off the house ...
Basically they are not reporting my stellar payment history on that card and when projected the impact on my credit on their calculator + age of account and history of payment, it appears that by them not reporting it I am losing over 100 points in credit score..

I ordered everything by mail from transunion because It said I had a problem verifying who I was for some reason but in a few business days I will have a better handle on whats going on so I can proceed with a dispute with them.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9553392)
I disagree. If his score is in the mid-600's thats a problem if he ever has to borrow money, and if he doesn't supply the information that you see as bragging, then we can't answer his question.

Based on what he's posted, his score should not be that low, he has a legit problem.

And that's why I did it because I am stunned my credit can be so low when I never had a late payment on a car or anywhere since the mid 90's and always paid them off in half the time and paid the 30 yr mortgage off in 5.5 years.....

alnorth 04-03-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9553437)
Never a late payment anywhere.... CreditKarma is reporting that score and they say they get all of their info from Transunion but creditkarma does not even list the only credit card I have owned for 11+ years and it appears on the site I have made zero payments on anything since 2009 when I paid off the house ...
Basically they are not reporting my stellar payment history on that card and when projected the impact on my credit on their calculator + age of account and history of payment, it appears that by them not reporting it I am losing over 100 points in credit score..

I ordered everything by mail from transunion because It said I had a problem verifying who I was for some reason but in a few business days I will have a better handle on whats going on so I can proceed with a dispute with them.

Ahh, if they basically see you as one of those stubborn "I don't need no stinkin' credit card, dammit, I pay everything with cash" old people, then that'll hammer your score.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9553455)
Ahh, if they basically see you as one of those stubborn "I don't need no stinkin' credit card, dammit, I pay everything with cash" old people, then that'll hammer your score.

Must be, shit is annoying though...

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 12:31 PM

Ok after further review I just paid a dollar for my credit score from Experian and the results are
http://thumbnails102.imagebam.com/24...5247010182.jpg

CreditKarma.com has me listed at 621

I also just found out the reason the credit card does not affect my score or is not listed... The name on the top is the wife...

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 05:47 PM

The bank credit card revealed they only report to equifax.com and it IS in my name.

I applied for an "excellent credit" credit card and I got turned down but I then applied for a discover card and got approved.

Is Discover worth a shit for anything but scraping ice off the windshield?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-03-2013 05:52 PM

I applaud Reighters and his financial decisions. Don't see why he got jumped on for this.

ReynardMuldrake 04-03-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9553500)
Ok after further review I just paid a dollar for my credit score from Experian and the results are
http://thumbnails102.imagebam.com/24...5247010182.jpg

CreditKarma.com has me listed at 621

I also just found out the reason the credit card does not affect my score or is not listed... The name on the top is the wife...

You can also go to this site and look up your credit report. You can request a report once a year and it's free.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com
Also, you can get your credit score on here. You have to sign up for a trial, but it's easy to cancel through the website before they charge anything.
http://www.myfico.com/
I can vouch for both these sites, they are legit and free. You will want to look at your report to see if there are any inaccuracies and dispute that shit.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-03-2013 06:04 PM

Too bad they don't include the value of a truckload of Carson fatheads in that...

Jewish Rabbi 04-03-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9554650)
The bank credit card revealed they only report to equifax.com and it IS in my name.

I applied for an "excellent credit" credit card and I got turned down but I then applied for a discover card and got approved.

Is Discover worth a shit for anything but scraping ice off the windshield?

Meh, not really. What are you planning on charging on the card? That makes a difference for the best rewards you can get.

Also, the advice to carry a small balance is dumb. You won't gain a higher credit score from this.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9554691)
Meh, not really. What are you planning on charging on the card? That makes a difference for the best rewards you can get.

Also, the advice to carry a small balance is dumb. You won't gain a higher credit score from this.

I just wanted to use it and pay it off a couple times a month to improve my credit score

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 06:27 PM

Things I would buy anyway

Jewish Rabbi 04-03-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9554732)
I just wanted to use it and pay it off a couple times a month to improve my credit score

Get a PenFed Cash Rewards card. 5% off on all pay at the pump gas. Your account is automatically credited monthly so no need to worry about redeeming the rewards or anything.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9554755)
Get a PenFed Cash Rewards card. 5% off on all pay at the pump gas. Your account is automatically credited monthly so no need to worry about redeeming the rewards or anything.

But would I qualify is the question

Jewish Rabbi 04-03-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9554761)
But would I qualify is the question

I would think so with a 738.

R8RFAN 04-03-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9554769)
I would think so with a 738.

738 on that one but mid 600s on Transunion.. Guess it depends on who they use to ck credit

Jewish Rabbi 04-03-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9554797)
738 on that one but mid 600s on Transunion.. Guess it depends on who they use to ck credit

They pulled Equifax for me.

demonhero 04-03-2013 08:54 PM

I have my car insurance payment and cell phone on 1 credit card. I have 4 credit cards total with rates 11.99 - 13.99. My score is 750-760 range depending on how high my phone bill is.

WhiteWhale 04-03-2013 08:54 PM

Weird.

I have a credit score over 800 and all I really have is a house payment.

I JUST got a credit card in the past month. I tend to save money rather than going into debt... as I feel my house is enough debt. I have no idea why my rating is so high or why the OP's would be so low. Sounds like he's doing better than me.