ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Bishop and Leach (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273880)

Hootie 06-19-2013 04:53 PM

lets just not sign Fisher

milkman 06-19-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9763141)
I know I posted that the Chiefs wouldn't have to cut anyone to fit Bishop or Leach, but Eric Fisher isn't signed yet and I didn't factor that into the numbers.

They have about 3.7 million under the cap right now to spend. They could create additional money by extending Albert (not likely right now), cutting Moeaki (saves 1.2 million), and it's been rumored that Alex Smith has offered to reduce his number down, but that should be a last resort because he'll get something extra do to that.

Dorsey will have to get creative to get Bishop, Leach and Fisher all here.

Isn't the rookie salary pool already considered when they talk about cap space?

penbrook 06-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9763149)
They can definitely get both but they have to be creative.

Some contracts will have to be restructured

The Bad Guy 06-19-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9763154)
Isn't the rookie salary pool already considered when they talk about cap space?

I don't believe so. I use Overthecap.com for figures and they don't list Fisher yet.

I could be wrong though.

milkman 06-19-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9763160)
I don't believe so. I use Overthecap.com for figures and they don't list Fisher yet.

I could be wrong though.

I thought that teams kept a separate pool for rookie salaries, and added contract numbers of rookie signings to the overall cap when they are completed.

I also could be wrong.

The Bad Guy 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9763168)
I thought that teams kept a separate pool for rookie salaries, and added contract numbers of rookie signings to the overall cap when they are completed.

I also could be wrong.

They do get a rookie pool, but that rookie pool has to fit into the overall cap.

Since Fisher's deal structure isn't known yet, they can't factor him in.

Although, the Chiefs are likely going to need more than 3.7 million to sign Fisher alone so who the hell knows.

penbrook 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

GM Dave Caldwell "#Jaguars has definite interest in LB Desmond Bishop and we will monitoring his situation very closely. #Jaguars

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Cap room: $3.5 million

What does it mean? The Chiefs have had a great offseason, but there is little cap room left. The Chiefs have to sign No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher. They are also reportedly hosting linebacker Desmond Bishop this week. The Chiefs may need to restructure a deal or two to get a little more room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Urc Burry 06-19-2013 05:07 PM

Gut tells me when get Bishop.. I would doubt we would get Leach with him

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9763176)
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Cap room: $3.5 million

What does it mean? The Chiefs have had a great offseason, but there is little cap room left. The Chiefs have to sign No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher. They are also reportedly hosting linebacker Desmond Bishop this week. The Chiefs may need to restructure a deal or two to get a little more room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Hali's on the books for $15 million this season, Eric Berry's on the books for $10 million-plus.

The Chiefs could easily restructure Hali by converting part of his salary into a signing bonus (which would allow it to be spread over the remaining years) or do the same with Berry.

Either way, I doubt the Chiefs are interviewing both players knowing that they can't eventually sign them.

The Bad Guy 06-19-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9763183)
Hali's on the books for $15 million this season, Eric Berry's on the books for $10 million-plus.

The Chiefs could easily restructure Hali by converting part of his salary into a signing bonus (which would allow it to be spread over the remaining years) or do the same with Berry.

Either way, I doubt the Chiefs are interviewing both players knowing that they can't eventually sign them.

I heard the Chiefs briefly talked with Berry's agent earlier this off-season about an extension, but didn't hear anything after that.

The last sentence is an excellent point. The market for these guys isn't going to get crazy and the Chiefs aren't throwing their hat into a ring for either player unless they thought they had the money to sign them. They could sign them, restructure deals and then get Fisher locked up and be done.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9763135)
Yes. He would make our LB Corps the best in the NFL..

So we would have him at ILB with DJ and Tamba and Justin outside ?

milkman 06-19-2013 05:26 PM

I'm pretty sure penbook deleted his post because he thought I already answered HF's question.

But I misread HF's post, so deleted mine.

So, to answer, yes, Bishop would be inside with DJ.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-19-2013 05:26 PM

Well, that highlight reel looked nice. And with A Rookie in Nico getting his feet wet it does look good. I think our secondary is going to be pretty solid so if our DL will step up ,and Poe is in his second season now , we just may have a REAL Defense this year.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-19-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9763223)
I'm pretty sure penbook deleted his post because he thought I already answered HF's question.

But I misread HF's post, so deleted mine.

So, to answer, yes, Bishop would be inside with DJ.

HeHe. Yep. I figured it out .

mcaj22 06-19-2013 05:51 PM

why cant they just cut guys

like Anthony Sherman 2.2 million, get the hell out of here

tons of bums on this team like that they can cut

Titty Meat 06-19-2013 08:44 PM

Frank if you were a betting man what would you put the odds of us getting leach or bishop at?

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-19-2013 08:47 PM

Leach would be a tight squeeze for Chiefs
June, 19, 2013
Jun 19
10:45
PM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

It appears the Kansas City Chiefs are not going to make a push for fullback Vonta Leach unless the team can come up with some cap room.

The Chiefs only have about $3.5 million in salary-cap room and they must sign No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher. They are also going to visit with linebacker Desmond Bishop on Thursday.

Never say never on Leach ending up in Kansas City, but some things have to happen. Leach appears to be a luxury the Chiefs currently can’t afford.

In other AFC West news:

The USA Today reports there is more trouble for David Chao, who recently quit as the Chargers’ team physician.

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9763302)
why cant they just cut guys

like Anthony Sherman 2.2 million, get the hell out of here

tons of bums on this team like that they can cut

:facepalm:

Sherman's salary is $550k per year, which would hardly make a dent.

Secondly, cutting a guy like Sherman before training camp would be nonsensical, as injuries occur frequently.

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9763824)
Frank if you were a betting man what would you put the odds of us getting leach or bishop at?

If the Chiefs have to choose between one or the other, all things being equal in terms of health, Bishop has to be the guy.

O.city 06-19-2013 08:55 PM

Who the hell could we cut to make room?

Dante84 06-19-2013 08:58 PM

Tyson Jackshit.

**** that guy.

O.city 06-19-2013 09:01 PM

While I would love leach for his leadership, like Dane said, bishop makes more sense

The Bad Guy 06-19-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9763824)

I think the odds are higher with Bishop.

But I will contend that Dorsey knows the cap situation and still has interest in both.

milkman 06-19-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9763847)
If the Chiefs have to choose between one or the other, all things being equal in terms of health, Bishop has to be the guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9763862)
While I would love leach for his leadership, like Dane said, bishop makes more sense

I don't agree.

Alex Smith needs all the weapons in the passing game that this team can provide, and Leach can be a weapon in Reid's offense.

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9763910)
I don't agree.

Alex Smith needs all the weapons in the passing game that this team can provide, and Leach can be a weapon in Reid's offense.

Leach is 32 years old and was cut by the Super Bowl winning Ravens. Ozzie's not prone to mistakes in personal decisions.

I know that people love fullbacks around here, but I don't think the dropoff between Leach and whomever else would win the starting fullback job would be as great as Bishop (29 years old) that position's starter (Jordan or Johnson).

O.city 06-19-2013 09:43 PM

Wasn't it more of a monetary decision with Leach in Baltimore?

I know Reid utilizes FB's alot in his offenses though.

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9763937)
Wasn't it more of a monetary decision with Leach in Baltimore?

The cap is irrelevant. If Ozzie wanted to keep Leach, he would still be a Raven.

O.city 06-19-2013 10:01 PM

I'm sure they could have made room for him, had they wanted him that bad. In the end, he is a fullback, so while he's a good player, he's probably not an extremely important kog there anymore.

But if it came down to Leach and them being able to bring in Canty or Dumervil, easy choice.

O.city 06-19-2013 10:05 PM

You're likely going to try and get Bishop on some type of higherish incentive deal on staying healthy etc. which you won't get with Leach.

DaneMcCloud 06-19-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9763969)
You're likely going to try and get Bishop on some type of higherish incentive deal on staying healthy etc. which you won't get with Leach.

IMO, Leach will be lucky to get half of what he was supposed to earn in Baltimore.

If he gets $2 million a year, he should be thrilled to death.

O.city 06-19-2013 10:09 PM

I bet he ends up in Miami, Ireland is on a save his job spending spree.

O.city 06-19-2013 10:11 PM

I'd rather try one of our 3 TE's at H back TBH.

Titty Meat 06-19-2013 10:13 PM

I think the Bishop singing would be a game changer.

ChiefAshhole20 06-19-2013 11:08 PM

I think Leach's release had more to do with the fact they're trying to become more of an offense revolved around their $100+ million QB, and a high dollar FB just didnt fit in that offense anymore. Even if he is only 80% of what he was, that would by far be the best FB we've had since Richardson, and imo, is worth a contract if we can afford it.

Bishop could bring this D to the next level IF he is healthy, but I trust Dorsey and co. to make the right decision.

TRR 06-20-2013 12:09 AM

It will be interesting to see if Bishop's health checks out. I have heard that if his hamstring does check out, Dorsey won't let him leave KC without a contract.

His hamstring injury was rough though. He tore it completely off the bone, and suffered a slight sprained hamstring during his therapy as well. Luckily it's been quite a bit of time since the initial injury.

Would love to see KC sign him. He is a three down player if healthy.

RustShack 06-20-2013 12:41 AM

Sign both and be done with it. #Playoffs

CupidStunt 06-20-2013 02:47 AM

When a player like this comes available, if his health checks out, it's like getting a bonus draft pick. The Packers cutting ties really means nothing to me; they're known for going on the cheap where they can, and in their defense, they're great at drafting and pretty much believe Rodgers can overcome deficiencies all over the field. We know in KC there's no such luxury.

I'd love Leach, too, but he's just a luxury I think. We have players in that spot, we wanna pass more, we've invested heavily in the OL and Charles is gonna rape regardless. Bishop -- again, if healthy -- fills a hole and adds legit talent to the D.

Dante84 06-20-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9764086)
It will be interesting to see if Bishop's health checks out. I have heard that if his hamstring does check out, Dorsey won't let him leave KC without a contract.

His hamstring injury was rough though. He tore it completely off the bone, and suffered a slight sprained hamstring during his therapy as well. Luckily it's been quite a bit of time since the initial injury.

Would love to see KC sign him. He is a three down player if healthy.

Not being a dick, but from where, from whom?

Are you like TBG and have inside sources, or are you referring to mentions in the media - and if so, which outlets?

I'm just curious, because that's good news and I hope it's true.

The Bad Guy 06-20-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9764248)

Are you like TBG and have inside sources, or are you referring to mentions in the media - and if so, which outlets?

The "he won't let him leave without a contract stuff" is pure hyperbole. It has to be.

Dorsey does love Bishop. Bob Sutton loves versatile linebackers that can stay on the field on all downs. Bishop provides that.

If Bishop comes in here wanting what he made with Green Bay, he's not getting it because that money isn't available right now.

I think ultimately the Chiefs do end up signing him, but I think that it's going to be a massively incentive laden deal.

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 07:56 AM

Does he work out for KC today?

Mav 06-20-2013 10:43 AM

To the point about Ozzie not wanting to keep leach, and it not being monetary. Okay, we will see how that works out this year. You know who is going to be pissed? RAY RICE, because he is not going to have near the year he had when running behind him. Ask LT, what a difference Lorenzo Neal made for him, anyone else remember Emmitt Smiths Hall of Fame induction, who he mentioned? How about ask Peyton Hillis how much Lawrence Vickers meant to his success.....and then, to his demise. Ie he was gone blocking for ARIAN FOSTER who had a huge year behind him......

BossChief 06-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9764249)
The "he won't let him leave without a contract stuff" is pure hyperbole. It has to be.

Dorsey does love Bishop. Bob Sutton loves versatile linebackers that can stay on the field on all downs. Bishop provides that.

If Bishop comes in here wanting what he made with Green Bay, he's not getting it because that money isn't available right now.

I think ultimately the Chiefs do end up signing him, but I think that it's going to be a massively incentive laden deal.

Any chance they are still trying to trade Albert?

The Bad Guy 06-20-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9764664)
Any chance they are still trying to trade Albert?

Don't think so. I asked about his status and was told opening day left tackle.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-20-2013 12:46 PM

Report: Desmond Bishop decision looms
June, 20, 2013
Jun 20
1:55
PM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Recommend2
Tweet5
Comments154
Email
Print

USA Today reports that free-agent linebacker Desmond Bishop will likely choose between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Minnesota Vikings after visiting the Chiefs on Thursday. He was cut by Green Bay on Monday and visited Minnesota on Wednesday.

Perhaps the Chiefs will have an edge because Bishop knows new Kansas City general manager John Dorsey. He came from Green Bay earlier in the year. Bishop, who is coming off a major hamstring injury, would be a 3-4 starting inside linebacker if he joins the Chiefs. The Chiefs don’t have a ton of cap room, so they might have to do some juggling.

In other AFC West Notes:

ESPN.com has revealed its top 300 fantasy players for the 2013 season. The highest ranked player from the AFC West is Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles. He is ranked sixth. No other player from the division is ranked in the top 20.

Fair? Unfair? Hash it out below, fantasy diehards.

TRR 06-20-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9764248)

I have a credible source in KC that I speak to every now and again. His words were simply that Dorsey is VERY happy GB let him go and is not comfortable with the other ILB position next to DJ. He said they will agree to terms if everything checks out. If they don't, the hamstring is an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

penbrook 06-20-2013 02:10 PM

Per SiriusXM NFL Radio

@Desbishop55 tells @SiriusXMNFL he's still a FA "No pen to the paper yet, just going around taking visits & weighing my options right now"

penbrook 06-20-2013 02:16 PM

Per SiriusXM NFL Radio

@Desbishop55 tells @SiriusXMNFL that in addition to the @Vikings & @kcchiefs , the @Giants and @jaguars are also interested in his services.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-20-2013 02:21 PM

Pat Kirwan ‏@PatKirwanCBS 6s

talkin w'Desmond Bishop-Said he could return to GB if all things equal. he may consider NYG&Jax but I got feelin he picks a team tonight

-King- 06-20-2013 02:25 PM

Don't really think he's coming here.

mcaj22 06-20-2013 02:27 PM

I don't think so either cause of the little money we have

but he's guaranteed a starting spot here. I dont think hes necessarily guaranteed a starting spot in those 4-3 defenses like the Vikings and Jags, two teams that already have two very good MLBers, that have no desire to lose their spot.

Titty Meat 06-20-2013 02:31 PM

Yup he won't be coming here

SPATCH 06-20-2013 02:51 PM

PHM, guys.

The Bad Guy 06-20-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9765126)
I don't think so either cause of the little money we have

but he's guaranteed a starting spot here. I dont think hes necessarily guaranteed a starting spot in those 4-3 defenses like the Vikings and Jags, two teams that already have two very good MLBers, that have no desire to lose their spot.

Giants have less money than we do.

This is all posturing to drive up price. All things aren't equal. Green Bay isn't going to bring him back when they took a hit cutting him.

I'm going to be shocked if he's not a Chief.

BossChief 06-20-2013 03:43 PM

If they find a way to get both Leach AND Bishop signed, I'm calling and ordering season tickets.

I'm not thrilled about Alex Smith, but other than that...this has been one hell of a good offseason. We upgraded a lot of positions.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-20-2013 04:03 PM

Ben Goessling ‏@BenGoesslingPP 7m

Desmond Bishop said on @SiriusXMNFL that he's getting 1-year offers. Giants and Jags have shown interest, in addition to Chiefs and Vikings.

saphojunkie 06-20-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9765340)
Ben Goessling ‏@BenGoesslingPP 7m

Desmond Bishop said on @SiriusXMNFL that he's getting 1-year offers. Giants and Jags have shown interest, in addition to Chiefs and Vikings.

Then **** it. Who needs a stop gap? Just give the reps to Nico.

DaneMcCloud 06-20-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9765371)
Then **** it. Who needs a stop gap? Just give the reps to Nico.

He's receiving 1-year offers because of his health. If he's healthy enough to play in 2013, I'd love to see him as a Chief this year.

I like Nico Johnson but he's a fourth round "thumper" that will likely be pulled on passing downs.

Bishop, OTOH, is a three down player.

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 05:07 PM

Hope he signs with us tonight. If he's healthy.

penbrook 06-20-2013 05:12 PM

Ian Rapaport says on NFL Total Access Bishop will decide on a team really soon.

Both visits went well.

He has been offered 1 year deals.

Packers and Giants are Dark Horses.

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 05:14 PM

I'd expect either KC or back to GB

DaneMcCloud 06-20-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9765428)
I'd expect either KC or back to GB

Why would he re-sign with Green Bay when they just took a cap hit to cut him?

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9765429)
Why would he re-sign with Green Bay when they just took a cap hit to cut him?

Because he may want to stay there rather go to kc. Better chance to win. Just my guess. Guys get cut and re-sign all the time

penbrook 06-20-2013 05:17 PM

Desmond Bishop said he could go back to GB but only under the " right situation".

DaneMcCloud 06-20-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9765435)
Because he may want to stay there rather go to kc. Better chance to win. Just my guess. Guys get cut and re-sign all the time

But Green Bay just took a sizable cap hit to cut him. So by re-signing him, they're going to take that cap hit AND pay him on a new contract?

That just doesn't make sense.

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9765439)
But Green Bay just took a sizable cap hit to cut him. So by re-signing him, they're going to take that cap hit AND pay him on a new contract?

That just doesn't make sense.

I don't know man I've been on vacation so just seen he was cut not the specifics, so I thought maybe he'd go back cheaper. Like some guys do

DaneMcCloud 06-20-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9765445)
I don't know man I've been on vacation so just seen he was cut not the specifics, so I thought maybe he'd go back cheaper. Like some guys do

My posts aren't directed at you: They're directed the hypothesis of Green Bay cutting a guy, absorbing a sizeable cap hit, only to re-sign him.

If Green Bay were to do such a thing, it's basically a double-cap hit.

Mother****erJones 06-20-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9765448)
My posts aren't directed at you: They're directed the hypothesis of Green Bay cutting a guy, absorbing a sizeable cap hit, only to re-sign him.

If Green Bay were to do such a thing, it's basically a double-cap hit.

Ya I just was responding. Wouldn't make sense but I don't know. This is all agent bullshit.

O.city 06-20-2013 07:23 PM

Would be fine with a 1 year prove it deal, then go from there next year.

ct 06-20-2013 08:11 PM

I figured short term prove it deal was only way he'd be here. I did suspect the vikes would cave and offer the long term deal, they new him worse than we do.

IowaChiefs83 06-20-2013 08:26 PM

If all he's being offered one year deals from the teams mention then we are a likely choice. Unless he's afraid of Manning I can't see him not wanting to play here.

Dante84 06-21-2013 07:41 AM

Well? Any news?

The Bad Guy 06-21-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9766767)
Well? Any news?

Haven't heard much in the last 12 hours. Chiefs really think that Bishop leaking that the Giants were interested was a ploy to get someone to go 2 years.

If all the contracts are equal, I believe he's coming here.

Mother****erJones 06-21-2013 09:40 AM

Hope he signs with us the more the merrier at ILB with DJ

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-21-2013 09:47 AM

Sounds like Leach is about to sign with Fins.

TEX 06-21-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9766945)
Sounds like Leach is about to sign with Fins.

Bummer. This guy would make an immediate impact (Yes at FB) with the Chiefs. He can get tough yards, block and catrch. One of the best, if not the best FB in the league.

The Bad Guy 06-21-2013 10:31 AM

Yeah, based on these reports, he's likely headed to Miami.

He'd be great, but on the other hand, Charles ran for a shit ton of yards behind Brad Eachus and Patrick DiMarco.

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9767020)
Yeah, based on these reports, he's likely headed to Miami.

He'd be great, but on the other hand, Charles ran for a shit ton of yards behind Brad Eachus and Patrick DiMarco.

Exactly.

Chiefs fans are fullback crazy.

IMO, there's no reason to spend upwards of $2 million per year on a fullback, especially a FB that's 32 years old and could hit the "wall" at any point in time.

mcaj22 06-21-2013 11:52 AM

theres also no reason to waste 500k on Anthony Sherman who is god damn terrible

but you know

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9767161)
theres also no reason to waste 500k on Anthony Sherman who is god damn terrible

but you know

:shake: