ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Marcus Peters is gone. The Chiefs have some explaining to do. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314080)

petegz28 02-23-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Moon (Post 13434300)
If we gave Peters away, the players will be as pissed as fans. If we got fair value, we move on. This is about winning. There's no reason for a fire sale. It would be better to keep him a few more years and get nothing than getting a third round pick for him. And if Reid thinks the guy is a cancer, well, Reid helped bring Peters here.

I think there might be more players happy that he is gone than we thing....just a hunch

cdcox 02-23-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 13434322)
Buy low/draft and sell high...I think KC, if they get the first rounder this year, has made a great trade. I think KC got as much as they could get out of a DB that cannot lock down a WR on the other team.

Opponent passer rating of 65 in targets at Peters. Can't get much more lock down than that.

BigRedChief 02-23-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13434333)
I think there might be more players happy that he is gone than we thing....just a hunch

ive got a hunch that your politics is clouding your judgement on Peters.

KCTitus 02-23-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434345)
Opponent passer rating of 65 in targets at Peters. Can't get much more lock down than that.

As I recall, Peters only played on side of the field...that's a great percentage as long as the offense continues to line their best WR on the same side of the field. I dont believe that was the case last year, at least as far as I can recall.

mcaj22 02-23-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 13434322)
Buy low/draft and sell high...I think KC, if they get the first rounder this year, has made a great trade. I think KC got as much as they could get out of a DB that cannot lock down a WR on the other team.

So I take it you dont actually watch NFL games

cdcox 02-23-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 13434355)
As I recall, Peters only played on side of the field...that's a great percentage as long as the offense continues to line their best WR on the same side of the field. I dont believe that was the case last year, at least as far as I can recall.

It's damn good even if every snap was against the #2. But we both know that some of those snaps were against the #1.

KCTitus 02-23-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 13434360)
So I take it you dont actually watch NFL games

LOL...I watch quite a few, but I do make a point of watching all of KC's games every week. I do not, however, break down film. If you have some insights, please share...I would love to read your breakdowns of the game film.

KCTitus 02-23-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434366)
It's damn good even if every snap was against the #2. But we both know that some of those snaps were against the #1.

That's true, and I would agree, however his effectiveness was limited and reminded me of Dale Carter. More penalties in his later years than great plays. In the end, I dont think KC is bad off making this trade.

cdcox 02-23-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 13434375)
That's true, and I would agree, however his effectiveness was limited and reminded me of Dale Carter. More penalties in his later years than great plays. In the end, I dont think KC is bad off making this trade.

In first 3 years:

Dale Carter: 10 turnovers
Marcus Peters: 24 turnovers

KCTitus 02-23-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434384)
In first 3 years:

Great point...I seems to me KC got the most they could from him and hopefully that stat means a high draft pick, possibly a first, which KC needs.

Baby Lee 02-23-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

In first 3 years:

Peters baits QBs into bad throws while our LBs play patty-cake.
Carter covered them and let DT hunt the QB down.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 10:21 PM

I usually like his articles but Mellinger doesn't understand the concept of "a kid who does not want to leave the hood" and demands a trade to "get closer to his hood" with a lot of $$ in the near future in his pocket.:rolleyes:

Giving Mellinger grace right now to grieve the loss while he catharts !!!:D

cdcox 02-23-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 13434389)
Great point...I seems to me KC got the most they could from him and hopefully that stat means a high draft pick, possibly a first, which KC needs.

If you have 5 first round picks you'd count yourself fortunate to get that level of production out of any of them. Not even looking like a first.

cdcox 02-23-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434402)
I usually like his articles but Mellinger doesn't understand the concept of "a kid who does not want to leave the hood" and demands a trade to "get closer to his hood" with a lot of $$ now in his pocket.:rolleyes:

Giving Mellinger grace right now to grieve the loss while he catharts !!!:D

Racist much?

kysirsoze 02-23-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13434329)
supposedly he was a cancer in the locker room....didn't want to be here as well

https://media.giphy.com/media/VUOMN3AJbxSeY/giphy.gif

KCTitus 02-23-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434403)
If you have 5 first round picks you'd count yourself fortunate to get that level of production out of any of them. Not even looking like a first.

I think you're right...KC got a great kid in that draft and he gave us what he did, but again, I think his erratic play became a liability in the last season. if KC can shore up the LB/DL with whatever pick they get, I think they come out ahead.

Tombstone RJ 02-23-2018 10:32 PM

Congratulations you all got the #23 pick and rams 5th round pick...

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434409)
Racist much?

Alinsky much ? You better get your "community organizing" on better than this if you are going to Alinsky me my friend.

You may want to research the word "neighborhood" in which I used a shorten version of it using "hood". Just your simple allegation here of me say's you are the "true bigot". You told on yourself for sure.:thumb:

Easy 6 02-23-2018 10:44 PM

Sooo many people all ready to weep tears of loss, for a guy who flat out said he wants nothing to do with you when his contract is due... all you people are huge pieces of shit as far as Marcus is concerned

Yeah yeah the boos factor in, but he will get that almost anywhere, except LA, so good for him and LA... truth be told, the Rams defense just got SICK

Pete Carroll is surely wearing a diaper right now, LA has undergone an unbelievable transformation in such a short time

MeatRock 02-23-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434345)

Not to mention his number of targets dropped significantly each year. Opposing quarterbacks were throwing his way much much less.

cdcox 02-23-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434432)
Alinsky much ? You better get your "community organizing" on better than this if you are going to Alinsky me my friend.

You may want to research the word "neighborhood" in which I used a shorten version of it using "hood". Just your simple allegation here of me say's you are the "true bigot". You told on yourself for sure.:thumb:

Marcus Peters is from the hood but George Zimmerman lives in a neighborhood. I bet most people you associate with live in a neighborhood.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=3398

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-23-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13434471)
Sooo many people all ready to weep tears of loss, for a guy who flat out said he wants nothing to do with you when his contract is due... all you people are huge pieces of shit as far as Marcus is concerned

Yeah yeah the boos factor in, but he will get that almost anywhere, except LA, so good for him and LA... truth be told, the Rams defense just got SICK

Pete Carroll is surely wearing a diaper right now, LA has undergone an unbelievable transformation in such a short time

Man get the **** outta' here with that shit. All I SEE are a bunch of speculative clowns who are idiotically rejoicing over the loss of our best defender. And what Peters did, by comparison to some other players in this league was MILD.

Unless this compensation nets us a game-changer? This was an absolutely idiotic move by the Churfs.

jd1020 02-23-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13434471)

I dont really care if he didn't want to be here after he fulfilled his obligations.

The pieces were falling into place for the Chiefs. You have 2 years left on the cheap from one of the best corners in the game. You just traded Alex Smith to start the Mahomes era and not only that, but you filled one of your holes and got back a much needed CB opposite of Peters. Then you go and trade Peters... what?

One step forward and two steps back.

Fuller put up great numbers... in nickel. Now you are asking him to be a #1 while simultaneously asking him to replace a guy who created the most turnovers and 2nd lowest passer rating since entering the league.

It just begs the question of why?

007 02-23-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 13434427)
Congratulations you all got the #23 pick and rams 5th round pick...

Stop quoting that moron Athan.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434488)
Marcus Peters is from the hood but George Zimmerman lives in a neighborhood. I bet most people you associate with live in a neighborhood.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=3398

Quite the bigoted assumption here.:shake: I don't make any distinction whether I use the full term "neighborhood" or "hood" but you do and why you are the real bigot here who tries to play victim.:shrug:

BTW Zimmerman is Latino a minority if you didn't know already.

Chiefnj2 02-23-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13434211)
If there wasn’t a strong market of interest for a pro bowl shutdown corner, that tells you something in itself.

Why do you believe every rumor the tam is leaking today?

cdcox 02-23-2018 11:00 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434514)
Quite the bigoted assumption here.:shake: I don't make any distinction whether I use the full term "neighborhood" or "hood" but you do and why you are the real bigot here who tries to play victim.:shrug:

Yeah, I'm sure you make no distinction between hood and neighborhood in your everyday speech. Everybody believes this.:rolleyes:

cdcox 02-23-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434514)
BTW Zimmerman is Latino a minority if you didn't know already.

You went there? Buy a clue. Please.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434523)
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure you make no distinction between hood and neighborhood in your everyday speech. Everybody believes this.:rolleyes:

There you go again ! See in your worldview only minorities can come from the so called "hood" as you define it and never are bigots(which is just not true!). Only whites can be bigots in your "bigoted world". :rolleyes:

cdcox 02-23-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434541)
There you go again ! See in your worldview only minorities can come from the so called "hood" as you define it and never are bigots(which is just not true!). Only whites can be bigots in your "bigoted world". :rolleyes:

I don't use "hood" for anybody.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434526)
You went there? Buy a clue. Please.

No. You went there just mentioning his name. Because like the media tried to do back when all this was happening, the media pimped his name 'immediately' because his name sounded 'caucasian' never telling the public he was hispanic 'initially' or ever alluded to it the whole time hoping to make this into a bigoted ethnic/racist reason as to why GZ defended himself after being jumped from behind.

You did the same here mentioning GZ.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434545)
I don't use "hood" for anybody.

Yes, I'm sure you don't.:rolleyes: Your self-righteous pomposity here oozes Progressive Lefty for sure.;)

Easy 6 02-23-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claysexual (Post 13434499)
Man get the **** outta' here with that shit. All I SEE are a bunch of speculative clowns who are idiotically rejoicing over the loss of our best defender. And what Peters did, by comparison to some other players in this league was MILD.

Unless this compensation nets us a game-changer? This was an absolutely idiotic move by the Churfs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13434506)
I dont really care if he didn't want to be here after he fulfilled his obligations.

The pieces were falling into place for the Chiefs. You have 2 years left on the cheap from one of the best corners in the game. You just traded Alex Smith to start the Mahomes era and not only that, but you filled one of your holes and got back a much needed CB opposite of Peters. Then you go and trade Peters... what?

One step forward and two steps back.

Fuller put up great numbers... in nickel. Now you are asking him to be a #1 while simultaneously asking him to replace a guy who created the most turnovers and 2nd lowest passer rating since entering the league.

It just begs the question of why?

Man I sure dont have every answer, but if things were even half as bad as they sound with Peters... you HAVE to wonder whats going on, furthermore how can anyone dismiss the chaos he brings?

If its all just a buncha overhyped nonsense, I'd be more than willing to entertain it... but just show me instead of preaching at me

cdcox 02-23-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434548)
No. You went there just mentioning his name. Because like the media tried to do back when all this was happening, the media pimped his name 'immediately' because his name sounded 'caucasian' never telling the public he was hispanic 'initially' or ever alluded to it the whole time hoping to make this into a bigoted ethnic/racist reason as to why GZ defended himself after being jumped from behind.

You did the same here mentioning GZ.

Everyone past day one knows that Zimmerman is Hispanic. And you still don't get it. You played the "some of my best friends are____" card. Pro tip: don't. Ever.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13434506)
The pieces were falling into place for the Chiefs.

Not trying to :Poke: you here but the pieces only fall into place IF MP exhibited EB type character. He did not and he only got more dramatic/chaotic on and off the field as time went on. More meltdowns on the field at the worst times happening more and more as time went on.:shrug:

Now is the best time to trade because how can you trust this kid not to have more meltdowns and then try to trade him next year to a team that now has to pony up big $$ for a talented BUT Diva type player? You want the team you are trading to be 'incented' by the rookie contract with a year or more remaining so they get him cheap and have the chance to cut bait IF he doesn't work out for them. You can't do that in his 5th year and expect to get more value in better picks.

Chiefshrink 02-23-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13434584)
Everyone past day one knows that Zimmerman is Hispanic. And you still don't get it. You played the "some of my best friends are____" card. Pro tip: don't. Ever.

Wrong. The majority media went out of their way to never focus on the fact GZ was hispanic, in hopes to flame the "white bigoted fires". Oh yes I totally get it and will not be "Jesse Sharptoned" by you and your Alinsky bigoted definitions and assumptions and words mean what you say they mean.:rolleyes:

Bewbies 02-23-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434625)
Wrong. The majority media went out of their way to never focus on the fact GZ was hispanic, in hopes to flame the "white bigoted fires". Oh yes I totally get it and will not be "Jesse Sharptoned" by you and your Alinsky bigoted definitions and assumptions and words mean what you say they mean.:rolleyes:

If you were this dumb but black Marcus Peters would still be our #1 CB. This shit is your fault, honkey.

Chiefshrink 02-24-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13434631)
If you were this dumb but black Marcus Peters would still be our #1 CB. This shit is your fault, honkey.

Not with his Trayvon Martin behavior he wouldn't be.

It is spelled "honky" btw.:D

Bewbies 02-24-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13434636)
Not with his Trayvon Martin behavior he wouldn't be.

It is spelled "honky" btw.:D

Only a white guy is concerned about the spelling of honkey. :)

And honestly, calling something "Travon Martin behavior" is a losing argument 100% of the time. Forever. And always.

Whether or not you think he was innocent, he was killed. And no 17 year old deserves that.

DaFace 02-24-2018 12:07 AM

Guys, keep the DC-level shit out of here. Please.

007 02-24-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13434651)
Guys, keep the DC-level shit out of here. Please.

I've been waiting for one of you to step and and say that.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/UTT6QbG4EPOIE" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/orson-welles-citizen-kane-a-deadly-adoption-UTT6QbG4EPOIE">via GIPHY</a></p>

BlackOp 02-24-2018 12:19 AM

CHunt just gave one of his best (and cheapest) players to LA. The NFL wants the Rams to succeed in the worst way...it means more money for ALL the owners.

Maybe if CHunt wasn't such a passive-aggressive douche-bag, he would would stand up for the players, who were angry about shitty officiating costing them close games. Peters was justified in throwing that flag after the bogus penalty essentially gave the Jets the game.

Did Chunt say anything after the Steelers call? The Raiders call? The Titans call? Nope...this is a play nice and make as much money as possible owner. He deserves to lose...he's a liar and a phony creep.

Dorsey was, justifiably, concerned about giving Berry a monster contract...he vanished under mysterious circumstances. Chunt made the contract happen and EB is getting $14 million, this year, on a bum Achilles. Thanks...and now, the Chiefs best defender and draft pick..an all-pro/rookie of the year is traded while making peanuts. He was playing for about 15% of his market value...it's such a stupid move that I dont have words. YOU KEEP ALL PRO CBs......ALWAYS.

KCCHIEFS27 02-24-2018 12:37 AM

I can't believe people think cornerback is a premium position.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCCHIEFS27 (Post 13434724)
I can't believe people think cornerback is a premium position.

I know...3 of the top 11 picks were CBs in 2016. How dare they think that.

CHunt has his "yes men" in place...

KChiefs1 02-24-2018 12:42 AM

I’ll hold off judgement until the deal is finalized.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13434733)
I’ll hold off judgement until the deal is finalized.

Not me....there is a reason deals like this never happen. It's ****ing stupid.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 12:50 AM

Hey...guess what? KC plays the Rams in Mexico next year.

What are the odds? The drama will be headline fodder for the masses....such a joke.

Ron Swanson 02-24-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13434739)
Not me....there is a reason deals like this never happen. It's ****ing stupid.

There's a reason why multiple teams weren't beating down the Chiefs door to get Peters. He's an overrated malcontent who refuses to tackle and gets selfish penalties. It's going to be funny watching the fireworks when he gets to LA.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson (Post 13434748)
There's a reason why multiple teams weren't beating down the Chiefs door to get Peters. He's an overrated malcontent who refuses to tackle and gets selfish penalties. It's going to be funny watching the fireworks when he gets to LA.

No..the deal was to send him to LOS ANGELES. NFL has a new market to exploit...just business.

Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Kansas City will always be whipping boys in the NFL food chain.

Mellinger is pointing out exactly why this deal is sketchy as ****...

Unless Donald is part of this transaction...Peters is worth multiple high picks. He is a 25 year old franchise payer. He only costs $1.8 million....and has a 5th year option. LA will get him for essentially less than half of his market value for 2 years.

Maybe Stan Kroenke has pull in New Mexico...get CHunt out of his indictment charges for ripping off the tax payers there. It's always humorous when CHunt preaches "values" while under investigation..

Ron Swanson 02-24-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13434756)
No..the deal was to send him to LOS ANGELES. NFL has a new market to exploit...just business.

Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Kansas City will always be whipping boys in the NFL food chain.

Mellinger is pointing out exactly why this deal is sketchy as ****...

Yeah, sending Peters to LA is a great idea. He is going to be a clown out there in the spotlight with his idiot buddy Marshawn Lynch.

BigRedChief 02-24-2018 01:07 AM

Quote:

In first 3 years:

In first 3 years, peters has the 2nd most interceptions in NFL history. More than Dion.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13434772)
In first 3 years, peters has the 2nd most interceptions in NFL history. More than Dion.

Yeah..who ever believes there was no market for a Peters trade is dumb as ****. NFL trying to frame him as a player no team would want..yeah right.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-24-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 13433963)
Do you have an example?

Denvers whole Defense since PM retired.

BlackOp 02-24-2018 01:48 AM

Well, at least the precious locker room chemistry, that has netted 2 of the biggest meltdowns in post season history (in five short years), stays in tact.

Wouldn't want to **** with that level of beautiful harmony...this is a loser franchise and their playoff record supports that claim.

notorious 02-24-2018 02:31 AM

Is it possible that Peters ****ed up on his assignments so much that it compromised the defense?

KCrockaholic 02-24-2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13434817)
Is it possible that Peters ****ed up on his assignments so much that it compromised the defense?

I'd lean towards no, but he is a freelancer style. The reason he's traded has zero to do with his on field production.

lcarus 02-24-2018 03:36 AM

Assuming, just for fun, that the return the Chiefs will get is a late 1st, late 5th, and next years probably-late 2nd, that's a win for the Rams. I mean, if you had 3 picks like that you'd be damn lucky to get 1 player who is among the best of the best at his position. Especially as important as a corner is on a modern-day NFL roster.

I see no way this is a win for KC. Unless the return is quite a bit more than we all expect. They're either stupid or they were forced into a position where they had to take a loss and get back whatever they could. It's sad that I don't know 100% for sure it's not the stupid option.

Also, Peters won in this trade. I'm sure he's happy to go to LA....

KCrockaholic 02-24-2018 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 13434829)
Assuming, just for fun, that the return the Chiefs will get is a late 1st, late 5th, and next years probably-late 2nd, that's a win for the Rams. I mean, if you had 3 picks like that you'd be damn lucky to get 1 player who is among the best of the best at his position. Especially as important as a corner is on a modern-day NFL roster.

I see no way this is a win for KC. Unless the return is quite a bit more than we all expect. They're either stupid or they were forced into a position where they had to take a loss and get back whatever they could. It's sad that I don't know 100% for sure it's not the stupid option.

Also, Peters won in this trade. I'm sure he's happy to go to LA....

All of this is probably the truth. Other than at this point we're still debating over what we got in return.

Coochie liquor 02-24-2018 05:47 AM

What am I gonna get in return for buying my first jersey in at least a decade? ****ing loved rocking my fairly new MP22 Jersey. The Clarks owe me a new jersey. If I knew buying a jersey would end this way, I woulda got a ****ing Sutton jersey.

007 02-24-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13434844)
What am I gonna get in return for buying my first jersey in at least a decade? ****ing loved rocking my fairly new MP22 Jersey. The Clarks owe me a new jersey. If I knew buying a jersey would end this way, I woulda got a ****ing Sutton jersey.

Thats why I got a jersey number hardly any player for the Chiefs ever chooses and put my last name on it.

Chiefs Moon 02-24-2018 06:44 AM

"At least it would be something that didn’t leave the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature by avoiding discomfort even as it sets them back competitively."

Check me on this-- Is Sam saying many in the Chiefs fan base are....deplorable? And the Chiefs appear to have taken cues from bigots to make this particular personnel decision?

If that's what Sam suspects, that's quite a charge. Some might call it ugly.

I don't like Sam's insinuation the Chiefs caved to racist Chiefs fans. At all. To end his piece with that accusation not only isn't helpful, it's divisive and irresponsible. How do the Chiefs defend themselves?

Here's a thought: Peters may have been a poor fit for this locker room. He was kicked off his team in college. Was there subtle racism in that decision? Did Washington cave to a Neanderthal fan or alumni base? Or, was Peters out of line and deserved his punishment?

There's an arrogance and condescending tone to Sam's piece that I find off-putting. He has painted the top people in the Chiefs organization as weak, uncaring, cynical, and lacking character. Sam wanted Bob Sutton fired. Fine. Many of us would have welcomed that. But Andy Reid saw a different, more pressing problem: His defense was too old, too slow, and too soft. We also know Peters quit on his team and had to be suspended for, perhaps, for more than what happened on the field of play. So maybe his locker room was in trouble-- and that's not up for a vote. If Reid suspects his message or Sutton's isn't respected, he has to make changes. That's true in any company.

Sam obviously doesn't like the way Andy Reid is running his team and the defensive side of the ball. Got it. Good topic for all. But this?

"the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature"

Really? Where do we go from here?

Reid/Veach decided to rebuild their defense. But, not the way Sam declared necessary. Now that the Chiefs have traded Peters (accommodated Peter's request?), Sam says their motives are toxic, not the player who has a history of toxicity-- and I'm not talking about the anthem. I don't have to. There's so many other incidents to justify a trade. A trade that hasn't been announced.

The Chiefs drafted Peters. That's on them. If they move him and get fair value, what the hell is wrong with that? They are trying to correct a past mistake. A drafting mistake. We don't even know what we got back for Peters. Why write the article when the transaction isn't known beyond that a trade was agreed to? Why publish an insidious charge regarding the character of those running the Chiefs? It's hard to unring that bell. Does Sam know something we don't?

Marcus Peters is loaded with talent. Maybe he'll be a Hall of Fame DB. But the decision to move this particular player isn't prima facie evidence the Chiefs caved to a vocal, racist fan base.

This is something the writer should have to defend. He leveled the charge. Sam-- a brilliant writer-- does not stand on higher moral ground. Yes, there are some fans who harbor prejudice, but to accuse the Chiefs to caving to that distinct minority is a bridge too far. For me.

Warrick 02-24-2018 07:07 AM

Classic cp meltdown

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:39 AM

Lol at the the Donald speculation. And they aren't getting a first either. I'll bet dollars to dimes that this is a net loss in talent.

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Did you watch the games? Peters was almost never thrown at. The guy shut down his half of the field.

Coogs 02-24-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

I'm going to go with yes here. Numbers back it up. So does the eye test.

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 13435035)
I'm going to go with yes here. Numbers back it up. So does the eye test.

You have to be joking. His play on the field is the last thing to factor into this.

Coogs 02-24-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13435042)
You have to be joking. His play on the field is the last thing to factor into this.

No, I'm not really joking. I think he compromised the entire defense on a play by play basis.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-24-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrick (Post 13434863)
Classic cp meltdown

Justified.

KCCHIEFS27 02-24-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13434729)
I know...3 of the top 11 picks were CBs in 2016. How dare they think that.

CHunt has his "yes men" in place...

Name me one CB, if they went down with injury, a teams playoff chance/super bowl chances would greatly diminish.

Red Beans 02-24-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13435042)

Maybe, but maybe not. There's the possibility that he said, "**** the old man, and this scheme" and was freelancing a shit ton. I don't watch enough film to know. But it is a possibility.

Why Not? 02-24-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCCHIEFS27 (Post 13435061)
Name me one CB, if they went down with injury, a teams playoff chance/super bowl chances would greatly diminish.

Malcolm Butler

jspchief 02-24-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 13435066)
Maybe, but maybe not. There's the possibility that he said, "**** the old man, and this scheme" and was freelancing a shit ton. I don't watch enough film to know. But it is a possibility.

You don't have to watch film. Just watch the games. Peters side of the field was not the issue.

SAUTO 02-24-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 13435055)
No, I'm not really joking. I think he compromised the entire defense on a play by play basis.

I read somewhere he either graded out 8-10 or 1-3 on a play to play basis

Coogs 02-24-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13435081)

Stan Weber was saying this yesterday. Lots of 1-3 grades.

TomBarndtsTwin 02-24-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13435081)

I’m not saying the Chiefs are a better team defensively without Peters, but it’s a bit telling that the Chiefs played their best team defensive game of the season against Oakland when Marcus was sat down.

Just something to think about going forward.

MahiMike 02-24-2018 10:23 AM

wah wah wah.

Mosbonian 02-24-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Moon (Post 13434855)
"At least it would be something that didn’t leave the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature by avoiding discomfort even as it sets them back competitively."

Check me on this-- Is Sam saying many in the Chiefs fan base are....deplorable? And the Chiefs appear to have taken cues from bigots to make this particular personnel decision?

If that's what Sam suspects, that's quite a charge. Some might call it ugly.

I don't like Sam's insinuation the Chiefs caved to racist Chiefs fans. At all. To end his piece with that accusation not only isn't helpful, it's divisive and irresponsible. How do the Chiefs defend themselves?

Here's a thought: Peters may have been a poor fit for this locker room. He was kicked off his team in college. Was there subtle racism in that decision? Did Washington cave to a Neanderthal fan or alumni base? Or, was Peters out of line and deserved his punishment?

There's an arrogance and condescending tone to Sam's piece that I find off-putting. He has painted the top people in the Chiefs organization as weak, uncaring, cynical, and lacking character. Sam wanted Bob Sutton fired. Fine. Many of us would have welcomed that. But Andy Reid saw a different, more pressing problem: His defense was too old, too slow, and too soft. We also know Peters quit on his team and had to be suspended for, perhaps, for more than what happened on the field of play. So maybe his locker room was in trouble-- and that's not up for a vote. If Reid suspects his message or Sutton's isn't respected, he has to make changes. That's true in any company.

Sam obviously doesn't like the way Andy Reid is running his team and the defensive side of the ball. Got it. Good topic for all. But this?

"the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature"

Really? Where do we go from here?

Reid/Veach decided to rebuild their defense. But, not the way Sam declared necessary. Now that the Chiefs have traded Peters (accommodated Peter's request?), Sam says their motives are toxic, not the player who has a history of toxicity-- and I'm not talking about the anthem. I don't have to. There's so many other incidents to justify a trade. A trade that hasn't been announced.

The Chiefs drafted Peters. That's on them. If they move him and get fair value, what the hell is wrong with that? They are trying to correct a past mistake. A drafting mistake. We don't even know what we got back for Peters. Why write the article when the transaction isn't known beyond that a trade was agreed to? Why publish an insidious charge regarding the character of those running the Chiefs? It's hard to unring that bell. Does Sam know something we don't?

Marcus Peters is loaded with talent. Maybe he'll be a Hall of Fame DB. But the decision to move this particular player isn't prima facie evidence the Chiefs caved to a vocal, racist fan base.

This is something the writer should have to defend. He leveled the charge. Sam-- a brilliant writer-- does not stand on higher moral ground. Yes, there are some fans who harbor prejudice, but to accuse the Chiefs to caving to that distinct minority is a bridge too far. For me.

Interesting take....one I hadn't thought about but makes you take pause and think.

Besides your take on this, Mellinger comes off as a guy who is pissed he wasn't let in on the deal ahead of time and still hasn't.

DaneMcCloud 02-24-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13435068)
Malcolm Butler

LMAO

arrwheader 02-24-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13433912)
What about the fact that Peters wanted out of here and would not stay. You can't devote 8 mil using a 5th year option on a head case that won't stay.

You do if it’s a player like MP. Shutdown corners help win Superbowls. You know what doesn’t? Offloading one of your best players for draft picks.

Well never know, maybe it was really really bad with coaches etc. Players were bitching though, seems like they just couldn’t deal.

srvy 02-24-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13434844)

ROFL