ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Thoughts about Tesla vehicles? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318132)

Donger 10-12-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13809414)
That's not a reason to not do everything in our power to reduce emissions. The unfortunate part is that there aren't more options for hybrids. There also needs to be more charging stations. We'll get there.

Remember when nobody wanted an electric car because they were slow? lol

I fully support the attempt to make E-vehicles and hybrids more mainstream.

Chief Roundup 10-12-2018 05:17 PM

The prices are just outrageous.

DaFace 10-18-2018 08:56 PM

In case anyone cares, the $45k version of the Model 3 is now available. No sign of the $35k version yet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/18/tesl...ase-model.html

FAX 10-19-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13809247)
When you do things at an industrial scale, they tend to become much more efficient. In other words, a car-sized internal-combustion engine wastes a lot of energy to heat loss and such than an electric power plant - even a coal-fired one.

Couple that with the existence of alternative types of fuel that are far cleaner (e.g., nuclear, wind, solar), and e-cars are cleaner and will become even more so as technologies advance.

Here's a pretty good, in-depth article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-electric-cars

That is a good article, Mr. DaFace. (Slow reader, here.) Thanks. (Answers my question without raising additional issues such as aids or ebola.)

I thought it was interesting to learn about the amount of Earth destroying emissions generated when actually manufacturing automobiles. (Seems like a lot, to me.) Now I find myself concerned about the total environmental impact of trains.

FAX

sd4chiefs 05-17-2019 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Tesla is going to have some competition.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/p...ember-2850462/

Porsche’s newest model, the 2020 all-electric Taycan sedan, will make its showroom debut later this year to an expectant general audience and, likely, a nervous Tesla boardroom. The Taycan has the Model S squarely in its sights, promising a more than competitive range of 310 miles and offering 600 lithium-ion-generated horsepower providing a reported 3.5-seconds-to-60-mph thrust. Other six-figure Tesla challengers are in the works, including Porsche’s sister-company effort, the Audi e-tron GT.

BWillie 05-17-2019 06:33 PM

Since Sentry Mode came out on Tesla's recently, many unknowing vandals have been caught in the act. Tons of videos on youtube now of the Tesla "security footage" of these idiots vandalizing Teslas now

https://futurism.com/the-byte/sentry...-tesla-vandals

Rain Man 05-17-2019 06:39 PM

I didn't quite realize how advanced these things are, but a friend of mine said that her brother bought one. It autodrives him to work, drops him off at the entrance, and then goes and finds a parking spot by itself. At the end of the day, he calls it and it comes back from the parking lot to pick him up. That's really cool.

Eureka 05-17-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 14273649)

Porsche’s newest model, the 2020 all-electric Taycan sedan, will make its showroom debut later this year to an expectant general audience and, likely, a nervous Tesla boardroom. The Taycan has the Model S squarely in its sights, promising a more than competitive range of 310 miles and offering 600 lithium-ion-generated horsepower providing a reported 3.5-seconds-to-60-mph thrust. Other six-figure Tesla challengers are in the works, including Porsche’s sister-company effort, the Audi e-tron GT.

There is going to be more competition for Tesla in the next few years. I think most consumers are going to think “Tesla” when it comes to electric vehicles on the forefront of technology. Tesla’s auto pilot is the most advanced available and they recently made a big jump in improvements.

Think how consumers think. Would you buy an iPhone 6 for the same price of of an iPhone X? Both are great products but if you were spending your own $$ you would choose the X.

Tesla future is kinda blurry though as they don’t have the history of a manufacturer like Porsche. Also Tesla is not turning a profit and lost 770 million in the 1st quarter this year. I think they just turned their first profit the end of last year (22million).

DaFace 05-17-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

The problem with the way most of the media seems to interpret "competition with Tesla" is that they act like the EV market is a zero sum game. New entrants aren't competing with Tesla as much as you think. Tesla's biggest competitors are gas cars - not other EVs.

Miles 05-18-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out since Porsche has been developing the use of electric cars in its flagship cars for years and typically a great engineering company. Porsche is impeccable in the areas like build quality and reliability but likely going to lag on tech stuff inside the car.

threebag 05-18-2019 12:51 PM

Last night I was driving home from granddaughters softball games. I started thinking about looking into a Tesla.

neech 05-18-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13809843)
How wonderful!

A battery that doesn't want to explode.

Thank you science.

FAX

Murphy's law Fax,

Megatron96 05-18-2019 01:25 PM

Tesla is going to die a relatively short, ignominious death, probably in less than ten years. Due entirely on the ridiculously inefficient method Tesla is using to manufacture their vehicles. Once the Japanese/Korean car makers go full dipstick on Ecars, Tesla will be left in the weeds.

Ecars, on the other hand, are probably here to stay. Unless fuel cell tech becomes widely available in the near future.

BWillie 05-18-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14274499)
Tesla is going to die a relatively short, ignominious death, probably in less than ten years. Due entirely on the ridiculously inefficient method Tesla is using to manufacture their vehicles. Once the Japanese/Korean car makers go full dipstick on Ecars, Tesla will be left in the weeds.

Ecars, on the other hand, are probably here to stay. Unless fuel cell tech becomes widely available in the near future.

That would be great. Because then it might make my car a long lasting classic vehicle that will start to appreciate in price.

I don't like Tesla because they might fail or might not be profitable. I like them because they make a great quality and safe product. I don't even give a shit about helping the environment one way or another, either.

DaFace 05-18-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14274499)

Eh, worst case for Tesla is another company buys them out. Their tech (both autopilot and batteries) is way too good to just get wiped off the face of the planet.

Stewie 05-18-2019 02:55 PM

Tesla just announced a draconian cost-cutting business model. We'll see where this goes.

Buehler445 05-18-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14274545)
Eh, worst case for Tesla is another company buys them out. Their tech (both autopilot and batteries) is way too good to just get wiped off the face of the planet.

The truth.

This man speaks it.

Their autopilot stuff is really fascinating. (From the outside)

notorious 05-18-2019 06:59 PM

Can’t wait until they make a 2500/3500 full electric pickup.

The torque and braking from the electric drive will be amazing for hauling.

Buehler445 05-18-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14274784)
Can’t wait until they make a 2500/3500 full electric pickup.

The torque and braking from the electric drive will be amazing for hauling.

Wait until you see the price tag.

DaFace 05-18-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14274786)

Yeah, that's really the crux of the issue still. All these cars are nice, but 90% of people can't afford them. My Leaf is about as cheap as they come for EVs right now, though some of the new entrants may change that. I'm guessing the first EV trucks are gonna be insanely pricey for what they are, though trucks in general are priced crazy from my perspective.

If we can get someone to offer these things at a price normal people can afford, it's gonna spread like wildfire.

notorious 05-18-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Can they get more expensive?

Perineum Ripper 05-18-2019 07:43 PM

A company called Rivian(spl?) is making an electric truck. Looks weird but has some cool tech, if they call actually make it work.

penguinz 05-18-2019 07:57 PM

Musk is a shit human being.

Munson 05-18-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 14274815)
A company called Rivian(spl?) is making an electric truck. Looks weird but has some cool tech, if they call actually make it work.

I was watching a Rivian video earlier today about their truck and SUV.

I love the looks, and wouldn't mind owning either one, but both will cost over $60K each before adding any options.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMfxJEfb4lw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 05-18-2019 08:30 PM

Looks like a glorified electric Avalanche.

Fail. I need a real pickup. One that hauls shit and pulls shit, not brags about trunk space.

BWillie 05-18-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 14274826)
Musk is a shit human being.

Wat?

Why

Buehler445 05-18-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14274814)
Can they get more expensive?

I run Deere shit.

The answer is a resounding yes.

penguinz 05-18-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14274898)
Wat?

Why

80-100+ hour work weeks expected. Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

sd4chiefs 05-18-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 14275071)
Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

Maybe he should get into politics. It works for some people.

C3HIEF3S 05-19-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 14275071)
80-100+ hour work weeks expected. Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

Not saying working overboard is remotely a good thing, but if an employee doesn’t like the expectations of their employer then they have every right to leave and find work elsewhere.

Maybe Musk can be an ass, but sometimes the world needs an ass.

notorious 05-19-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14274944)
I run Deere shit.

LMAO

LoneWolf 05-19-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14274944)
I run Deere shit.

You could always switch to Case. Better product and somewhat cheaper.

(The above post is made in jest. My grandfather owned a John Deere dealership and I grew up running Deere equipment. I currently manage a Case/New Holland manufacturing plant and I’m sure my grandfather would rollover in his grave if he knew that.)

Buehler445 05-19-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 14275249)
You could always switch to Case. Better product and somewhat cheaper.

(The above post is made in jest. My grandfather owned a John Deere dealership and I grew up running Deere equipment. I currently manage a Case/New Holland manufacturing plant and I’m sure my grandfather would rollover in his grave if he knew that.)

Right on. My grandpa and uncle ran the Deere dealership here too once upon a time. But they can get bent as far as I’m concerned. I’m about what makes my farm money.

Dad and I considered going case a few years back because the local manager was a Pioli-level twat. We ended up not though because were 5 miles from Deere and 45 miles from a Case dealer everyone that runs case bitches about. 60 from one that is better.

threebag 05-19-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Should have been thumbs up NOT thumbs down...

Great Expectations 06-24-2019 03:38 PM

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Model 3. My wife and I both have 3rd row SUVs; this seems to make sense.

DaFace 06-24-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 14320253)
I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Model 3. My wife and I both have 3rd row SUVs; this seems to make sense.

By all accounts, they're great cars. I personally thinking that any two-car household should seriously consider an EV unless you have an insane commute. Despite the marketing, EVs still suck a bit for road trips, but using one car for around town while having a ICE car for road trips works fantastically.

DaFace 06-24-2019 04:20 PM

Some of you guys might get a kick out of this. Simone Giertz (Queen of Shitty Robots) apparently wanted a truck, but she refuses to buy a gas car. So she bought a Model 3 and turned it into a truck (or perhaps more accurately, a ute).

"Commercial" for it:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R35gWBtLCYg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In depth build:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jKv_N0IDS2A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great Expectations 06-24-2019 08:26 PM

As the downside is long trips I’m starting to second guess upgrading to the long range model.

DaFace 06-24-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 14320684)
As the downside is long trips I’m starting to second guess upgrading to the long range model.

Eh, my Leaf only gets 150 miles per charge, so it's a MAJOR pain for me. It'd be less so in a Model 3 LR. I still generally think it's an inconvenience, but you can make it work.

Great Expectations 06-24-2019 08:41 PM

Price goes up $10k to go from the standard 240 miles to 310 miles.

mcknzAlex 06-24-2019 09:04 PM

There are some alternative companies that are way cheaper than Tesla.

sd4chiefs 07-01-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 14320253)

You might want to watch this first.

<iframe width="956" height="538" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlJ7lPdazyw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>