ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you/do you plan on moving to some other state when you retire? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322937)

BigRedChief 05-14-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14268376)
I'll die on a ladder in KC.

As it should be.

Actually before the lil one the wife and I were going to travel the country, stay in RV parks.

Goal was to see the country & paint a sign/mural in every state.

when you have talent such as yours, you keep making art until they put you in ground or cremate you.

cooper barrett 05-14-2019 07:18 PM

I am slightly familiar with the area, been there 3 times. I like to joke it's the only place I'd die in a drunken golf cart accident as some of those electrics can haul ass nowdays. I do remember I sure drank a lot when there. And finding your way home.... can you say adventure?

It is a great place to lay back and relax, fish, drink, and golf. I couldn't pay for a round but like my old Lindsey golf membership, when I brought a guest, it was expensive.

My friend passed 2 years back, couldn't quit drinking :-(, and after not being there for 3 years; I almost forgot about how nice the area was. Prices on property are up, but that's everywhere.

I need to do a week long fact gathering stay and learn about the area again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14268328)
I live in The Villages, Florida. It started in 1968 as a trailer park on Hwy 441 about 60 miles north west of Orlando. About 1990 the developer brought in his son from upper Michigan (Mark Farner & Ted Nugent area), and he began the actual housing development. It's now 40 square miles and population 130,000 over the age of 55. No one under 19 can live here or visit for more than 30 days a year. The population 99% white, African Americans about 1%. If any African Americans want to move here, I say come on. In our villa section of 80 villas, three are AA. They want the same things as white people, a safe place to live out your retirement years.

I moved here in 2011, I'll be 69 in July. For major sports, Tampa is a 90 minute drive south on I-75, College you have Gainesville a 60 minute drive north, that's the Florida Gators. I'm a Seminole Fan, that's in Tallahassee a little further north. Once you live here a while, you really don't want to go elsewhere too often. The news we get from Orlando, and they have as many murders as any city in the north. Orlando is not a great place to live.

I was familiar with Florida, I grew up in St. Petersburg from 4th grade (1959) to 1977, then moved to Pensacola (home of Naval Aviation) until 1982. Lived in Savannah the rest of the 80's and then moved to Maryland for 22 years. I retired in 2004 and after both my parents were deceased I retired here in 2011.

We have 12 championship golf courses, 10 of them are 27 hole layouts. We have 35 nine hole executive golf courses (par 3's). We are divided in about 75 Villages with about 1200 homes in each village. Each village has a pool and a rec center. Rec Centers have tennis courts and pickleball courts, that's really big here. They now have a championship on CBSSports. We also have larger Regional Rec Center with pools, I guess we've got about 90 pools all together.

We have 3 town squares, each one has a live band play everyday from 5pm to 9pm, usually classic rock, oldies, disco, etc. Each square has a theater with 8 screens. The Villages is about 75% Republican and our county (Sumter) had the highest total for Trump than any county in Florida, and of course Trump won Florida.

Here's a square, this one is Lake Sumter Landing. Did I tell you, you can drive a golf cart anywhere within The Villages, there are over 50,000 carts here. Some people don't even own a car anymore. The Florida Turnpike goes right by here, so you can be in Orlando in one hour. The Gulf Beaches are about two hours to Clearwater, which is the best.

KOOKS 1 05-14-2019 07:59 PM

Puerto Rico

We travel every winter. We spent a week in the rain forest if Puerto Rico in January. Great views and laid back people. I'd move there.

My wife likes St. Thomas a little better.

PR has decent healthcare.
PR has cheap flights to the U.S.
It uses U.S. currency
You don't need a passport.

We may end up in Canada in the summers though.

DeepPurple 05-14-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 14268332)
Live in Jax.....thinking about moving to The Villages myself when I retire in a couple of years. Might want to chat with you about it sometime.

The biggest problem now is, all 35 square miles they owned north of the Turnpike was been completed. Other than the developers, the Morse family 2700 acre horse farm they own in the middle, which right now it's the family compound. The grandaughter is the main girl on the show The Black List. We have our own high school, The Villages High. You say why do you need a high when no one under 19 can live there. We have 12,000 people work in The Villages, if you work here, your kid can go to our high school. It's tops in the state, beautiful football stadium. The basketball team just won their conference and one of the players, Tre Mann will be playing for the Gators next year.

All the new construction is going on below the Turnpike, they bought thousands of acres from Leesburg and Wildwood. They've only started a year ago and already have 2500 homes sold. The problem, there are no restaurants or stores in that area. You'll have to drive five miles to the nearest Publix, stuff will be built, but it will take a couple of years. They have two golf cart bridges currently under construction so you can cross the Turnpike and CR44, but currently you cannot drive your golf cart from those areas to where live and the golf courses are located. Where I live, it's 15 miles from the new areas. We have all kinds of stores in this area. Because of this, a lot of people are buying the resales, which is great for me. My courtyard villa that I bought new in 2011 for $158K and now worth $250K. You'll have to decide, do you want new and have to drive a long way to restaurants and stuff or to buy a resale. Resales usually have a lot of improvements. I have six championship golf courses I can reach in my golf cart within 15 minutes. I go to a gym 3 days a week, it's beautiful, big and nice, but is 10 miles from the new homes. Here's my gym, it's six years old, there is no gym under construction in the new area. Also new homes and resales are much higher priced in The Villages. Look at homes in zip code 32162 The Villages and then look at homes in Summerfield 15 miles north of The Villages, which has two different retirement communities. Hope this helps, my gym is called MVP and it's free with my health care. Also, we have our own VA Medical Facility, I had my annual free eye exam today at the VA, if you're a veteran its' free.

MVP Gym

https://intranet.edwardsconstruction...XD12A4OO26.jpg

Our VA Clinic, it handles over 16,000 patients. The Villages has 19,000 veterans living here.

https://www.northflorida.va.gov/NORT...esPanorama.jpg

DeepPurple 05-14-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 14268368)
I've got a good friend that lives in the area - plays in a band that frequently plays gigs at the Villages - "Rocky and the Rollers" -pays well. He also does the cruise ship thing, too.

Rocky and the Rollers are the #1 band here, they just celebrated their 20th Anniversary of playing in The Villages. I've seen them about 25 times in my 8 years of living here. They play all three squares plus we have two concert venues, the Savannah Center holds 850 and the Sharon Theater holds 1100, and that place just opened last year. During the winter we have many more shows. In March I saw Micky Thomas and Starship and The Village People with the original singer, both at the Savannah Center. If you want to see big crowds, whenever Rocky is playing checkout the webcams. Here's a link below. The crowds will be a little smaller now since snowbird season has just ended.

The Villages Webcams

DJJasonp 05-14-2019 08:45 PM

No effin way im going to let the state of kalifornia tax the shit out of me till i die. Prob arizona will be retirement location for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lewdog 05-14-2019 09:09 PM

AZ for winters and Montana/Wyoming/Idaho for the summers. Or maybe just Coeur D'alene.
Once I am rich and all that.

TrebMaxx 05-14-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 14268040)
I'm not sure if Western WA checks your boxes or not. It's very wet in winter, but surprisingly dry during summer. I also don't know if it qualifies as a western landscape, as it has plenty of mountains but it also has trees and water. Every other item on your list it fits quite well.

I would rather be on the east side, Spokane or near that area.

lewdog 05-14-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 14268639)

If going all the way east to Spokane, just settle in Coeur D'alene. Think I may summer there as well. What a beautiful area.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior (Post 14268173)
Since I've been here since last September. Fort Walton is the 10 most dangerous City because of the storms and its just 20 minute's from Pensicola

I have worked up in that area every year for the past 5 years and I've never heard that or anyone who lives there say that. Vulnerable to hurricanes yes, but a tornado every two weeks?

Florida gets tornadoes. We get them here at times, during storms and hurricanes, but they're smaller and weaker than the ones that hit out in Hurricane Alley. Just not every two weeks.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14268667)
If going all the way east to Spokane, just settle in Coeur D'alene. Think I may summer there as well. What a beautiful area.

I heard Coeur D'alene is beautiful from some people who moved there.

GloucesterChief 05-14-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 14268639)

It will be bitterly cold in the winter and scorching hot in the summer. I went to uni in Pullman.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268195)
But the best part is I could be at your place for some pork marsala in short order!

Speaking of which, I just made that again last night. Because I had company.

You'd have a 5-6 hour drive, so it wouldn't be in short order.

Quote:

Yeah humidity is just part of the deal down there, but as long as there’s a body of water to jump in while I’m out and AC at the house... I’d be golden
The humidity is good for your skin though, especially as you get older. Less dryness and flakiness you get from cold dry winters.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14268328)
I live in The Villages, Florida.

Really? I ended up there by accident looking for a furniture store in Leesburg, that had a love seat I wanted and couldn't find anywhere. I pulled into eat afterwards on my way home and noticed after I ate it was more than that restaurant near the front. I think it was a Roadhouse? So I drove through it very slowly and I heard a band playing. It was just unusual to me.

lewdog 05-14-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268684)

It is very beautiful. I did my clinical rotations in the Coeur D'alene area for a year. Wish I had more time to do fun stuff when I was there, but was too busy!

Make a romantic getaway with your SO there! Who knows....you may end up with another child!

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:51 PM

I worked in Salt Lake City this past January and loved it. You want mountains? Beautiful city.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14268701)
It is very beautiful. I did my clinical rotations in the Coeur D'alene area for a year. Wish I had more time to do fun stuff when I was there, but was too busy!

Make a romantic getaway with your SO there! Who knows....you may end up with another child!

I think you're the one who needs to make a baby—and soon!

But that's an idea. Too bad I've already got my flight to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada booked.

Bugeater 05-14-2019 10:00 PM

Still haven't given up on the Wyoming dream. Not waiting until I retire though, thinking we'll take another stab at it in about 5 years or so. Love the house we're in now but still hate this god forsaken city.

lewdog 05-14-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268710)
I think you're the one who needs to make a baby—and soon!

But that's an idea. Too bad I've already got my flight to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada booked.

1 kid is enough........for now.

Oh that's even better!!!

Banff is like no other. Great choice. It's absolutely amazing up there. I need to get back there too.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14268716)
Still haven't given up on the Wyoming dream. Not waiting until I retire though, thinking we'll take another stab at it in about 5 years or so. Love the house we're in now but still hate this god forsaken city.

Weren't you trying to sell that house? Or did you and this is another?

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14268719)
1 kid is enough........for now.

Oh that's even better!!!

Banff is like no other. Great choice. It's absolutely amazing up there. I need to get back there too.

You have a kid? I thought you were a DINK. Is this a new baby?

Bugeater 05-14-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268720)
Weren't you trying to sell that house? Or did you and this is another?

We did sell it, but the market in Cheyenne had dried up in the meantime. Luckily we found a great place here so we're staying for a while longer

lewdog 05-14-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268721)
You have a kid? I thought you were a DINK. Is this a new baby?

15 months old!

I work and the wife stays home now. It's been different but it's been very fun.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14268727)
15 months old!

I work and the wife stays home now. It's been different but it's been very fun.

Oh, I didn't know that. Congratulations!

Boy or girl? Or are you going genderless?

BigRedChief 05-14-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268694)
Really? I ended up there by accident looking for a furniture store in Leesburg, that had a love seat I wanted and couldn't find anywhere. I pulled into eat afterwards on my way home and noticed after I ate it was more than that restaurant near the front. I think it was a Roadhouse? So I drove through it very slowly and I heard a band playing. It was just unusual to me.

people that live/retire there sure do love it. Not my cup of tea though.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14268777)
people that live/retire there sure do love it. Not my cup of tea though.

It's too far inland for me.

cooper barrett 05-15-2019 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268684)

A great place when it's warm, brutal winters.

HemiEd 05-15-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 14268008)
We're both retired. Still live in Kansas but we have 60 acres in Wyoming and are building a second home there.

We both came from somewhere else 35 years ago and settled in the KC area. This is, and will always be, home for us.

We retired on Tablerock in Missouri for several reasons.
Half way between our two daughters, one in Texas the other in Indiana.
Grandkids and entire family loves coming here.
Cost of living is much lower than the blue shithole Illinois we retired from and weather is so much better.
Property taxes are about 1/10th of Illinois if not less.

displacedinMN 05-15-2019 05:33 AM

All of this assuming the kids move out of the house.

PunkinDrublic 05-15-2019 05:55 AM

I’m currently on vacation in Subic Bay in the Philippines. I absolutely love the ex pat veteran community out here. I’ve met Americans who haven’t been back home in 20 years. I came out to this area in January and loved it. I don’t know if I’d stay out here without visiting the States but the retired people out here seem to love it. Just avoid the Muslim areas and big cities and the Philippines is awesome.

DeepPurple 05-15-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268694)

You probably ate at Cody's Road House at Brownwood Square, they have 3 Cody's in The Villages, one at each square. We ate at Cody's at Lake Sumter Square last Saturday, that's about 7 miles north of Brownwood. They have a really good singing duo outside on the patio bar every Saturday.

The Brownwood Square area is still being developed. They just opened Shooter's World there, it's part of Florida's largest gun shop out of Tampa, it's huge. Also on CR44 you probably noticed two highrises, one is a new 5 story medical building and the other is a 7 story hotel with a Wolfgang Puck Restaurant. As far as homes, this area is finished, next time you get on the Fla Turnpike toward Orlando, look to your left and right as you pass Wildwood. For ten miles they're building new roads and homes all the way to Leesburg.

During snowbird season Brownwood can be packed on holidays or if one of the better bands are playing. Here's where you saw the music.

http://villages-news.com/wp-content/...0/unnamed5.jpg

ChiTown 05-15-2019 06:48 AM

Yes - Texas. My wife is from the DFW area, and the plan is to move there in another 6 years (I’ll be 58 at that time). I’m semi retired as is. My youngest heads off to College this Fall. We are just waiting until our kids are out of college/grad school to see if that’s still a good locale for us settle in to. That would be a primary residence. We’ll have a second house somewhere for sure, maybe in the mountains somewhere in CO. I love being there in the Summer time.

BigRedChief 05-15-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14268828)
Cost of living is much lower than the blue shithole Illinois we retired from and weather is so much better.

Besides the cold ass winters, I would wholly vouch for a Table Rock retirement. I know the area where HemiEd lives. Visited there a lot. In-laws had a cabin down there, went boating almost every weekend. Beautiful hills, water views.

BigRedChief 05-15-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268784)
It's too far inland for me.

Same here. Moved here to be near the water/beach. I think that's 1-1.5 hours away from the beach isn't it?

Graystoke 05-15-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14267952)
If I am lucky, Okoboji, Iowa Apr-Dec,
Arizona (Next door to Lewdog) Jan-Mar

Not a bad plan.
Do you already own property at Okoboji?
We spend a shit amount of time there with friends on West Lake. There is no way I could afford property there.

warrior 05-15-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14268828)

Love Table Rock one of the pettiest lakes in the country. When I was younger I skied probably 75 % of the coves on that lake. One of the places I've considered for retirement.

warrior 05-15-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268683)
I have worked up in that area every year for the past 5 years and I've never heard that or anyone who lives there say that. Vulnerable to hurricanes yes, but a tornado every two weeks?

Florida gets tornadoes. We get them here at times, during storms and hurricanes, but they're smaller and weaker than the ones that hit out in Hurricane Alley. Just not every two weeks.

Well dear there's a big difference passing through and living in a place. I travel to different Military bases and live in an RV for now because of rent prices near bases and I also have a dog that travels with me. I leave in an rv Park on the North side of Eglin AFB and about every two or so weeks we do have tornado warnings. They develop quickly and seem to travel up into Alabama which several people were killed just recently from some that developed here. I was transferred here from Wichita McConnell AFB which is in tornado alley and this area has more tornado warnings than Wichita.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-15-2019 09:03 AM

We love our home and property. Most of our family is concentrated in this area as well. As long as that doesn't change significantly, we're probably in our forever home. I'm 41 now.

BucEyedPea 05-15-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14268958)
Same here. Moved here to be near the water/beach. I think that's 1-1.5 hours away from the beach isn't it?

I am not sure—but seems more like 2 hours.

ChiefsCountry 05-15-2019 09:06 AM

I'm going to drop this right here:
Study: Camden County, Mo. one of best places to retire
https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Stu...509873801.html

Mosbonian 05-15-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14268349)
Funny thing. Jax is rated #5 city but I don't see it.

https://thestir.cafemom.com/politics...esa_arizona/20

Thanks Deep Purple for the Villages tip. My dad actually stayed there some w/folks from KC.

I should clarify that I live outside of Jax proper...live in Clay County because the cost of everything is much much cheaper. Although the Clay County area is the fastest growing in the area...beating St John's Co...it still is a nice place to settle.

The only real pain is the drive across the Buckman Bridge....beautiful view, but really crazy traffic with stupid drivers.

Steron 05-15-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268016)
I've looked all over Colorado as a hobby. Most of the nice places wouldn't allow me to free up cash from my house because their housing markets are expensive. But there are some exceptions.

Pueblo doesn't have a good reputation here. It's a low-growth remnant of the old economy. But it's got really good housing prices and it's big enough to have some good variety of restaurants and stuff. This place is really cool if you like older houses and urban living: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-07656?view=qv. This is more of a suburban setting, but the house is kind of cool: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-17293?view=qv

We also like Palisade in western Colorado as an affordable place. The architecture is pretty pedestrian, but the views are really nice. They have big mesas, and grow peaches and lavender there. I don't see any wow houses for sale in the town itself right now, but here's a place nearby: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-85027?view=qv

I'm in love with the first house you listed. What I wouldn't give to own that. Maybe one day......

cooper barrett 05-15-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14269212)
I'm in love with the first house you listed. What I wouldn't give to own that. Maybe one day......

Something bothers me about...

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2780...!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2778...!7i3328!8i1664

Steron 05-15-2019 03:18 PM

Those are pics from 2009. A lot can change in 10 years.

Rain Man 05-15-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14269212)

Yeah, I really like that house. It's got a lot of character, and compared to Denver prices it's really inexpensive. With the apartment over the garage to rent out, it's the rare place that might be worth moving to from a pure financial perspective if I was retiring today. (I'm still several years off, but I like to think ahead.)

When I think about moving in retirement, there are several elements to consider.

Pros of staying where I'm at in retirement:

1. I get good appreciation on my current home. I got lucky and bought in a high-demand place. Buying in a cheaper market will cost me money in terms of lower appreciation on the home.
2. I get cash out of my current home since I rent out an apartment.
3. My current home is in really good shape and there are no surprises for me in terms of maintenance.
4. I can walk to anything I need, which is good for a variety of reasons.
5. Until I need the cash for income, having a bunch of money in home equity is good diversification.
6. I really like Denver.

Pros of moving in retirement:

1. I could buy a house like this in a cheaper market and free up a ton of cash in retirement.
2. At some point in the distant future, having a house with lots of stairs may become a problem. Hopefully that's the distant future, but still...
3. It would be fun to explore a new place.

All in all, it would have to be a perfect fit to warrant moving, so I probably won't unless health forces me to do so. I pretty much have an ideal situation for the foreseeable future.

displacedinMN 05-15-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 14268970)
Not a bad plan.
Do you already own property at Okoboji?
We spend a shit amount of time there with friends on West Lake. There is no way I could afford property there.

No. Just a plan/dream. Retirement is a plan too. If I get to that pont

Scooter LaCanforno 05-15-2019 04:27 PM

I moved Beachside on the Space Coast 10 years ago. I don't mind the Summer heat and humidity. Beaches are beautiful, not crowded and are free to park with zero admission. Great schools, fishing and Rocket Launches. 2.5 hours from Jax, Tampa or Miami. Orlando in one hour. I have no need go anywhere else.

Steron 05-15-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno (Post 14269794)
I moved Beachside on the Space Coast 10 years ago. I don't mind the Summer heat and humidity. Beaches are beautiful, not crowded and are free to park with zero admission. Great schools, fishing and Rocket Launches. 2.5 hours from Jax, Tampa or Miami. Orlando in one hour. I have no need go anywhere else.

God bless you. I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1989. Too damn hot for me. Virginia is almost as bad. I need to go somewhere where it's 68 all year.

displacedinMN 05-15-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14269808)
God bless you. I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1989. Too damn hot for me. Virginia is almost as bad. I need to go somewhere where it's 68 all year.

Bogata, Columbia 68 every day.

BigRedChief 05-15-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14269070)
I am not sure—but seems more like 2 hours.

1 hour 47 minutes from my house. 1 hour 50 minutes to treasure island beach.

Rain Man 05-15-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14269949)
Bogata, Columbia 68 every day.

What could possibly go wrong?

DeepPurple 05-15-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14270057)
1 hour 47 minutes from my house. 1 hour 50 minutes to treasure island beach.

I thought you lived in Pinellas County? Anyway, I graduated from St. Pete High and went to the reunion on St. Pete Beach, from The Villages took me about 1+45. I would say it's the only negative living in The Villages. I lived 17 years in St. Pete, Largo, Clearwater, all around Pinellas and one year in Spring Hill in Hernando County. That area is just too conjested for me. I went to a Rays game last year and I really like what they did with downtown. In the 70's it was dead and no new construction, St. Pete looks like a contemporary city now.

The last Hurricane Irma, the eye came right over The Villages, I never lost my Directv, not even the HD or my electricity and had no property damage. By the time hurricanes reach us 50 miles inland, it's usually only tropical force winds. Our biggest problem with mother nature is sink holes. From Ocala to Tampa to the coastline is sinkhole alley. There are about 60,000 homes in The Villages and about 2 or 3 a year will get a sink hole in the yard, insurance will generally cover it.

I lived six years in Pensacola, if it hadn't been for The Villages, I would of retired there. It's very conservation, home of Naval Aviation and a lot of retired military. It has a beach about as nice as Clearwater, it's 3 hours from New Orleans via I-10. You're actually in the central time zone, which I thought was neat since everything comes on an hour earlier. Panama City Beach is 90 minutes east, which is a huge spring break town. Housing is fairly cheap and the tourist season is the opposite, it summertime and not winter. You will get a few Canadians looking for bargains going there in the winter. 50 degree days is not cold to a Canadian. The only negative is they are more prone to hurricanes in the panhandle. For a city less than 200,000 they have a lot to offer.

Pensacola has major concerts

http://www.pensacolabaycenter.com/as...BC-picture.jpg

A fairly new minor league baseball stadium and team

https://secure.milb.com/assets/image...80x720/cut.jpg

There's festivals all the time downtown, also at nearby Gulf Shores State Park they have music festivals

https://d3qvqlc701gzhm.cloudfront.ne...f9bf7d-750.jpg

displacedinMN 05-15-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14270211)
What could possibly go wrong?

Have a neighbor from Bogota. He goes there once a year.

cooper barrett 05-15-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14269719)
Those are pics from 2009. A lot can change in 10 years.

You must be the most intelligent person on the board

What gave you a hint? Maybe that I was showing the house with a label on the left saying 2009?????

TinyEvel 05-15-2019 10:27 PM

I would love to stay here in Marin County. But by my calculations we would need to retire with about 3-4 million in the bank.
Gonna be a challenge.

Steron 05-15-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 14270497)
You must be the most intelligent person on the board

What gave you a hint? Maybe that I was showing the house with a label on the left saying 2009?????

Settle down Francis. You can't possibly be as big a douche as your snarky post insinuates you are. I merely said the year those pics were from and that a lot can happen in 10 years time. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sorry you took such a simple two sentence response as a personal affront.

007 05-15-2019 11:57 PM

I'd like to get out of Kansas but who am I kidding. I'll never escape.

Bugeater 05-16-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14270557)

Totally random fun fact: High of 75 in Cheyenne tomorrow.

007 05-16-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14270562)

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Mephistopheles Janx 05-16-2019 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14270557)

Don't you ever say that. Escaping Kansas should be the goal of every last person there.

There have to be a number of IT/Helpdesk/Call Center type jobs in the KCMO area that you could work, no? You would probably just have to commute in from a suburb.

007 05-16-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14270579)
Don't you ever say that. Escaping Kansas should be the goal of every last person there.

There have to be a number of IT/Helpdesk/Call Center type jobs in the KCMO area that you could work, no? You would probably just have to commute in from a suburb.

trust me, if I escape this state, it won't be for Missouri.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-16-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14270581)
trust me, if I escape this state, it won't be for Missouri.

Where do you want to go?

007 05-16-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14270583)
Where do you want to go?

To start, there has to be mountains.

cooper barrett 05-16-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14270543)
Settle down Francis. You can't possibly be as big a douche as your snarky post insinuates you are. I merely said the year those pics were from and that a lot can happen in 10 years time. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sorry you took such a simple two sentence response as a personal affront.

I was being humorous, your 10 year comment was what was not needed ROFLROFLROFLROFL

And don't call me Francis. It's Mr. Ed to you. I believe I am the one looking at the ass.:D

BigRedChief 05-16-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14270507)
I would love to stay here in Marin County. But by my calculations we would need to retire with about 3-4 million in the bank.
Gonna be a challenge.

got a company offering me a lot of money to move to Folsom. Still the housing to retire in the San Fran or LA greater area is astronimical. You have to be a millionaire.

BigRedChief 05-16-2019 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14270585)
To start, there has to be mountains.

mountains :hmmm:

cooper barrett 05-16-2019 09:07 PM

My current home in southern Indiana will be my summer house for a while and then I will stay year round in central AZ (think Flagstaff, Sedona, Payson) I have 3 lots so when I need a bundle of cash.... get a new neighbor.

Beautiful country, nice people, not too touristy, but busy on weekends.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net..._AZ_2011_0.jpg

cooper barrett 05-16-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14272071)
mountains :hmmm:

Bush?

Spoiler!

lewdog 05-16-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14270562)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A2sHSaA4hBs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRichard 05-17-2019 07:18 AM

The Ashville NC area is looking more and more appealing to me and my wife.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...242_rect/9_zm/

Bugeater 05-17-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14270578)
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

It has more to do with the horrendous heat and humidity in the midwest.

Nzoner 05-17-2019 09:26 AM

We have a little place at Grand Lake,Oklahoma so as of now that's the plan.

Mosbonian 05-17-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14272433)
The Ashville NC area is looking more and more appealing to me and my wife.

Wait until it snows and you try to drive around Asheville...pretty place in 3 seasons out of the year

cooper barrett 05-17-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14272785)
We have a little place at Grand Lake,Oklahoma so as of now that's the plan.

Grand Lake works, I have friends who started out camping at Linn Vally, Then bought a weekend house, expanded it as a full time dwelling and commuted to
OP. They moved to Grand lake after spending a week there. Up and sold everything, quit jobs and moved.

I think they commute to Tulsa maybe Broken Arrow.

DeepPurple 05-17-2019 09:38 PM

A fellow I use to play golf with is from Jacksonville, he moved to The Villages in 2012 and while here, owned two different homes and his wife still wasn't happy. Moved in 2015 to a place 50 miles west of Asheville. He said, it was a community of all new log homes about $300K with a golf course. All Alan cares about is playing golf and he loved The Villages, however his wife is strange. After two years in those hills, they've moved back to Jacksonville. My other neighbor who I have played golf with every week since 2011, moved here from Ponte Vedra, where they have The Players Championship, he lived there 20 years and he is liking The Villages.

I know I've mentioned golf, besides the 3 squares with live music everyday, and three 8 screen movie theaters, we have two bowling alleys, but one of the reasonx I moved here was for softball. I came here when I was 61 and most places don't want a 61 year old showing up. We have the largest softball league in America. Over 200 teams, over 2500 players all over age 50. We have 11 diamonds, all abilities can play. Before you can play for any team you have to go to 3 evaluations and then you'll be rated 1 thru 5. So when you get on a team, it will be a league of players of the same skill. I played 5 years, which was 15 seasons. I was in a neighborhood league. It's a little more laid back, play one game every Saturday. We played three 14 game seasons a year, I played 15 seasons until I got diagnosed with COPD, I can't run anymore, 35 years of smoking caught up with me.

http://www.thevillagesflhomesales.co...s/softball.jpg