ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Evaluate the Defense Game #1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324958)

Simply Red 09-08-2019 09:05 PM

7.294 out of 10

KingPriest2 09-08-2019 09:18 PM

Spags said it’s a work in progress. Going to be week 8 before they gel. They only have a few snaps together in a gane. They’re learning on how to depend on each other. Build that chemistry Claiborne comes back week 4
We played in the heat today which gives the offense the edge.
The Jags had a new o coordinator and a new QB Spagd said it was tough to game plan.
Relax we ll be fine

keg in kc 09-08-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14435497)
now there's a name I haven't heard in a while

3 sacks in his first game. 2.5 in his next 24 with the team. Ended up "earning" over a million dollars per sack here.

FlintHillsChiefs 09-08-2019 09:52 PM

Dogshit. I'm not sure if Sutton could have done worse.

GloryDayz 09-08-2019 10:04 PM

Between a D+ and a C-.

Up from 31st last year to, perhaps, 26th.

Needless to say, they need a lot of work.

The rush D was pretty-much nonexistant.

HolyHandgernade 09-08-2019 10:23 PM

If this team gives up field goals at the rate last year's team gave up TDs, I'm good with that.

jerryaldini 09-08-2019 11:44 PM

Out of 28 teams that played, the Chiefs are 15th in points, 19th in yards, but 27th in Y/P (Miami). They gave up 428 yards and 8.6 Y/P.

The median team gave up 5.5 Y/P. Last year's team averaged giving up 405 yards and 26 points. Grade D.

Dante84 09-08-2019 11:56 PM

I’d say C.

We spent all week game planning for big dick Nick and his tendencies, and looked decent - he threw ****ing peach on the TD, right as Jones was skull-****ing him (pressure). Fuller was right there, it was just a gem.

In Q1, when he goes out, in comes a rookie who has a completely different playing style that we probably didn’t plan for. I wish the adjustment was smoother, but goddamn if that kid wasn’t accurate and ballsy.

I honestly think we just sat back and played it basic because we didn’t know what we had to deal with. Maybe we thought a generic defense would be enough (and were wrong?) either way, you have to be ready for that scenario. But I understand a little whiplash.

Ward has to get it together. I also don’t view Claiborne as our messiah.

Just kind of a bland day from the D and I genuinely don’t feel as worried as last year - yet.

Next week should be a coming out party against Carr and the nobodies.

kcxiv 09-09-2019 12:04 AM

the 2 deep passes that were completed were perfectly thrown passes against great coverage. I thought they did ok. Hopefully things tighten up as the season goes on and they learn to play together. Its going to take a few games before we see what they really have.

New World Order 09-09-2019 12:26 AM

D

Danguardace 09-09-2019 01:22 AM

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this week only. Reminded me of the Chargers game to start last season a lot of stuff you can call garbage yards, a lot of heat game was pretty over through the middle portion.

mnchiefsguy 09-09-2019 01:26 AM

Yeah, I was thinking around C-/D+...but they had only given up 13 points heading into the 4th quarter. If they continue to do that, Chiefs are going to win a **** ton of games. They made the stops at the critical times in the 3rd/early 4th quarter when the lead was only 10 and the outcome in doubt. As long as they give the offense the chance to pull away, things will be good. Hopefully they will improve week to week.

Bump 09-09-2019 01:47 AM

was Breeland out there a lot? I noticed he didn't have any tackles and had 1 PD. Which could mean that he covered so well that they never threw near him or he didn't play much?

Danguardace 09-09-2019 02:31 AM

This is where Spags and his staff are going to need to improve on Sutton, we know there are issues can he coach, correct and scheme to improve week on week.

Like I said benefit of the doubt for this week.

New World Order 09-09-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 14435659)
This is where Spags and his staff are going to need to improve on Sutton, we know there are issues can he coach, correct and scheme to improve week on week.

Like I said benefit of the doubt for this week.

I'm fine with the benefit of the doubt and I completely understand it.

But when you face an offense that is forced to play a 6th-round rookie off the bench and he completes almost 90% of his throws, that is something to be concerned about.

MaHomies 09-09-2019 02:51 AM

Biggest problem was 3rd down Defense. Secondary and/or the pass rush need to be better on big plays. Tackling and run defense was good.

GloryDayz 09-09-2019 06:24 AM

While it might true that the D will gel with time, it's just as true that other team's Os will shake off their rust if they played sparingly in the preseason.

Since this is an Andy Reid team and we know Andy spends pretty-much all his cycles on the O, I'm not going to give the D the benefit of the doubt that they'll improve tremendously from yesterday. Some? Sure. To a 15th - 18th ranked D? I don't think so.

Put it this way, the best thing the D can do is to help the O-line get better and make sure Patrick goes untouched for the rest of the season. Hill and Mahomes getting dinged was damage the D could hardly afford.

For the record, I hope I'm wrong...

O.city 09-09-2019 06:29 AM

I’ve sobered up a bit from yesterday

Defense was fine. Gave up 13 points then just played prevent

It was 37-13 with 9 minutes to go in the game. That’s pretty ****ing good

We curb stomped a pretty good defense and made them wanna just mouth and fight

People can’t handle this offense

Sassy Squatch 09-09-2019 06:35 AM

The role players did their jobs. The cornerstones need to step it up in a big way.

Chris Meck 09-09-2019 06:35 AM

I give the defense a C.

tackling was much better overall. Run defense was better when it mattered. I noticed no blitzing whatsoever, which was interesting.

I thought we'd see more from the pass rush, but I chalk a little of that up to the heat.

I know we've seen career day performances from several unknown QB's, but to be honest, Minshew was pretty impressive in his decision making. He was decisive and accurate. Jax helped him by sticking with the run, and KC stayed pretty vanilla. This game was nowhere near as close as the score, and my guess is that KC kept it pretty close to the vest as a result.

I expected them to get better as the season goes on, and I still expect that.

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 06:37 AM

Pretty sad to say but our defense shortcomings actually helped us. My issue was that the new defense was supposed to keep us off the field. Stop the run, if you get beat, get beat big. In the process, get a few turnovers and drive killing sacks. We did none of those things. The bright side is that we needed to keep mahomes off the field this game. The bad news is in future games, qbs not named Gardner minshew will be able to close out drives. Gotta be better than that. We need more pressure and if we're going to be bad at stopping the pass, we have to be better than adequate stopping the run.

Aspengc8 09-09-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14435740)
Pretty sad to say but our defense shortcomings actually helped us. My issue was that the new defense was supposed to keep us off the field. Stop the run, if you get beat, get beat big. In the process, get a few turnovers and drive killing sacks. We did none of those things. The bright side is that we needed to keep mahomes off the field this game. The bad news is in future games, qbs not named Gardner minshew will be able to close out drives. Gotta be better than that. We need more pressure and if we're going to be bad at stopping the pass, we have to be better than adequate stopping the run.

They played very vanilla. It's the first game, they will make adjustments from here. The A22 film should be out shortly, can't wait to review. I saw a lot of positives from the front 7.

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 07:00 AM

Another thing... Isn't Jax the kind of offense we were built to beat? Run first, pass second. Dink and dunk pass offense. If minshew carved us in the quick, short passing game what will Brady do? We've got a lot of time to fix this. But if we're going to beat new England, we have to be much much better than this

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 14435760)
They played very vanilla. It's the first game, they will make adjustments from here. The A22 film should be out shortly, can't wait to review. I saw a lot of positives from the front 7.

I'm not panicking by any means. Just saying we need to be much better.

King_Chief_Fan 09-09-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14435763)
Another thing... Isn't Jax the kind of offense we were built to beat? Run first, pass second. Dink and dunk pass offense. If minshew carved us in the quick, short passing game what will Brady do? We've got a lot of time to fix this. But if we're going to beat new England, we have to be much much better than this

agree
defense gave up more yds per play than Chiefs had
Good offenses will shred this defense
However, one game doesn't tell all when so much change...players and scheme

duncan_idaho 09-09-2019 07:11 AM

I was interested in the splits once the Chiefs went up 24 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

Jacksonville picked up 154 yards (36 percent) on its last two drives and scored 2/3 touchdowns once the game was effectively out of reach.

Yeah, they gave up a high completion percentage to Menschew, but he did it in a very Alex Smith-like way. Lot of short, quick throws (not Foles’ strength, so different than what they would have prepped/game planned for).

There are concerns on D for sure - the CB play is still pretty weak, hoping Claiborne can be an upgrade at an outside corner once he’s healthy - but a couple of garbage time drives made it look a lot less capable than it performed.

Any week the Chiefs’ D:
1) holds the opponent to less than 100 yards rushing
2) holds the opponent scoreless until the Chiefs have a two-score lead
3) forces 2 turnovers

... I’ll like KC’s chances. The big keys to me are being able to get stops when the game is close (check in 1st and 3rd quarters) and keeping the opposing team from gouging them 4 yards at a time for long, sustained drives that kill the clock and keep the ball away from the offense, I’ll take it.

We’re going to see more exotic stuff from Spanuolo, too. I didn’t see any corner blitzes yesterday, or any sort of zone blitzing, really.

I still want them to go get Patrick Peterson at the trade deadline, but I see reasons for hope at least...

Skyy God 09-09-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 14435656)
was Breeland out there a lot? I noticed he didn't have any tackles and had 1 PD. Which could mean that he covered so well that they never threw near him or he didn't play much?

Breland made plays, especially before we went up 27.

rabblerouser 09-09-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 14435656)

Breeland really had a good game. He was ballin' out.

duncan_idaho 09-09-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14435790)
Breeland really had a good game. He was ballin' out.

He also recovered the Fournette fumble, which was a game-sealing play, basically.

Coochie liquor 09-09-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 14435661)
I'm fine with the benefit of the doubt and I completely understand it.

But when you face an offense that is forced to play a 6th-round rookie off the bench and he completes almost 90% of his throws, that is something to be concerned about.

With 2 rookie tackles starting also. I can tell you for sure it was HOT!! Not sure how much that really plays into it, but I guarantee it was a bit of a factor. We def have a lot to improve on. Hopefully we get it together sooner than later. I though we would heavily exploit the tackles but didn’t turn out that way.

Mecca 09-09-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 14435796)
With 2 rookie tackles starting also. I can tell you for sure it was HOT!! Not sure how much that really plays into it, but I guarantee it was a bit of a factor. We def have a lot to improve on. Hopefully we get it together sooner than later. I though we would heavily exploit the tackles but didn’t turn out that way.

The exploit was Clark got them called for holding several times.

RunKC 09-09-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14435730)
I’ve sobered up a bit from yesterday

Defense was fine. Gave up 13 points then just played prevent

It was 37-13 with 9 minutes to go in the game. That’s pretty ****ing good

We curb stomped a pretty good defense and made them wanna just mouth and fight

People can’t handle this offense

I’ll give them a pass for the 2nd half simply bc we were up and it was a record heat day in Jacksonville. The temp on the field at kickoff was right at 100. At the start of the 2nd half it was at about 110.

It still doesn’t excuse giving up 3rd and 18. Good Christ that pisses me off. Absolutely no excuse for that.

O.city 09-09-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14435803)
I’ll give them a pass for the 2nd half simply bc we were up and it was a record heat day in Jacksonville. The temp on the field at kickoff was right at 100. At the start of the 2nd half it was at about 110.

It still doesn’t excuse giving up 3rd and 18. Good Christ that pisses me off. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Yeah, Jones got a hand on him there and he just wiggled out. Sucks, but I guess it is what it is.

O.city 09-09-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14435779)
I was interested in the splits once the Chiefs went up 24 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

Jacksonville picked up 154 yards (36 percent) on its last two drives and scored 2/3 touchdowns once the game was effectively out of reach.

Yeah, they gave up a high completion percentage to Menschew, but he did it in a very Alex Smith-like way. Lot of short, quick throws (not Foles’ strength, so different than what they would have prepped/game planned for).

There are concerns on D for sure - the CB play is still pretty weak, hoping Claiborne can be an upgrade at an outside corner once he’s healthy - but a couple of garbage time drives made it look a lot less capable than it performed.

Any week the Chiefs’ D:
1) holds the opponent to less than 100 yards rushing
2) holds the opponent scoreless until the Chiefs have a two-score lead
3) forces 2 turnovers

... I’ll like KC’s chances. The big keys to me are being able to get stops when the game is close (check in 1st and 3rd quarters) and keeping the opposing team from gouging them 4 yards at a time for long, sustained drives that kill the clock and keep the ball away from the offense, I’ll take it.

We’re going to see more exotic stuff from Spanuolo, too. I didn’t see any corner blitzes yesterday, or any sort of zone blitzing, really.

I still want them to go get Patrick Peterson at the trade deadline, but I see reasons for hope at least...

Peterson, Ramsey, Howard whoever.

Not even because they necessarily need it to win the West, or whatever. But, with what NE has built up there, you're gonna need to just go full on arms race to be able to beat them in January.

Buckweath 09-09-2019 07:42 AM

The only real concern is the pass coverage.

The passrush wasn't bad yesterday and I'm not at all concerned by the passrush.

scho63 09-09-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14435809)

:hmmm:

Not sure I agree with that........

Mecca 09-09-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14435825)
:hmmm:

Not sure I agree with that........

You have to take into account that they are a new defense that prepared for Foles and when they got a guy who scrambled around it was completely not what they were prepping to play.

GloryDayz 09-09-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Wow.. They had a rookie beat up our secondary partly because the pass rush hardly pressured him.

duncan_idaho 09-09-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14435856)
Wow.. They had a rookie beat up our secondary partly because the pass rush hardly pressured him.

Part of that is getting the ball out quick. Part of it is Jax getting flagged for 5 holds. Part of it is playing base sets and not doing any of the exotic blitzing Spagnuolo is known for.

The Chiefs aren’t going to be as effective rushing 4 this year as they were last year. They personnel changes dictate that.

petegz28 09-09-2019 08:24 AM

I still stand by my C+ grade but almost want to move them up to a B- for the following reasons:

1. Pass rush was minimal but Spags probably dialed it back since the two T's were rooks and the backup came in and you aren't sure what is going on.

2. Again on the pass rush, this was the starters real first time playing and it was on the road and 110+ degrees on the field. Not easy to get and keep your legs in that weather.

3. We stuffed the run rather effectively

4. We blew up screens and such like we usually didn't do

5. Minced-Cashew actually threw some nice passes that were quick and on target.Backup or not he played a good game

6. Most of the points the Jags scored really were moot. We had the lead and it was far gone. In that heat and it being the first game I can see Spags and the D dialing back a bit for multiple reasons

7. Given the way the game was unfolding I think Spags may have stayed bland knowing we have a division game on the other coast next week

8. Given as quick as we scored the D is going to give up yards. They didn't give up points. For all intents and purposes they gave up 19 points which I can live with in any game. Especially a road game.

Dunerdr 09-09-2019 08:25 AM

This looks like the same defense we’ve seen but just higher effort. Tackling was better guys ran to the ball, even though they probably should have been where the ball was to start.

It did look like CJ and FC got held a few times and I kind of want to give them the benefit of the doubt in cashew because the franchise has been cursed against back ups.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 08:35 AM

C-

The run defense was solid, but I guess I'm kinda curious where the 'looked great' kind of analysis are coming from. There were still several plays where I felt like the DL was getting washed out. I recall one where K-Pass got sealed off big time and another where Hitchens was slow to rotate over and fill the hole. It wasn't a liability so in that regard it's an improvement, but the Jags also had to get away from it quite a bit so it's hard to know how it would've held up on a more consistent basis. A good starting point and a positive sign that everyone seemed to be moving more aggressively toward the football. Now you just need to see continued improvement at the point of attack and with their assignments (side note - ****ing Nnadi is just outstanding vs. the run, man. A truly enjoyable guy to watch handle run assignments and that's rare).

The secondary was interesting. I thought Breeland looked really good, actually. And Fuller was solid as well. Ward...Jesus. I mean what else is there to say? He didn't even look Scandrick bad, he looked sub-Scandrick bad out there. That was as poor a game from a CB as you'll ever see. Thornhill flashed but also had some strange reps as well where he looked a little out of sorts (not surprising I guess). Mathieu was quiet but oftentimes that's a good thing for a safety; I dunno - I'll have to give him more attention next time. I just assumed he'd announce his presence so I wasn't watching for him much.

Wilson's strong pre-season carried over nicely, I thought he was probably the best LBer on the field. He looks like a damn good get. Hitchens seemed improved but as noted, has a miss or two. Didn't get much of a feel for anyone else.

Frank Clark - welp, this is the kind of game I was worried about. I'm pretty sure he's gonna have folks in here trying to polish that general turd of a game but against the backup to the backup LT, he was largely a non-factor. Sure, he was involved in the hit that knocked Foles out but A) he was too late to impact the outcome and B) he was singled up by a tight end.

The 5th highest paid defensive player in football was probably the 5th best player on our defense yesterday (damning with faint praise, to say the least). With one of the easiest assignments hes going to have all season. And when you say "it's a new scheme" well it's a new scheme for everyone else as well and he did nothing to set himself apart from the rest of that defense yesterday.

He absolutely must get better. A LOT better. If you grade him on the curve appropriate to the commitment this team made to him, that's an F grade yesterday.

Shiver Me Timbers 09-09-2019 08:39 AM

C. no plus no minus
Good enough to pass class. Nothing the parents would brag to grandma about

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

The pass rush was VERY bad yesterday.

I mean even if you want to give them an INC due to the number of short passes the Jags were throwing when Minshew first came in, as the game progressed and he started trying to push it more, they STILL weren't getting there.

Ultimately not being able to see the last couple of drives takes away what we can definitively know, but we can say that most of the time a team has to throw late in the game, that's when DEs and OLBs lick their chops because they know they're gonna get some hits in. They get to blast upfield and know they're getting after the QB.

And we managed to do precisely dick in those spots. One sack that was largely a coverage sack.

I thought the pass rush was incredibly disappointing, especially given the obvious opportunities, green QB and losses on their OL. Apart from Ward, it was probably the worst part of the defense yesterday.

smithandrew051 09-09-2019 08:41 AM

Good enough for now. Obviously, improvement is needed.

I would be concerned had Spags not been preaching that this is exactly what we would see. He’s been saying all offseason that it will take until about Week 4 to see what we’ve got.

Maybe we should take his word for it.

Tackling and penalties were much better.

O.city 09-09-2019 08:46 AM

I'm guessing we've got about....3 games left of Charvarius Ward.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09-09-2019 08:48 AM

Tackling was a lot better

TwistedChief 09-09-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14435912)

While that seems like the typical shelf life for the Marcus Coopers and Terrance Mitchells of yesteryear, who is going to replace him? Fenton?

Dunerdr 09-09-2019 08:51 AM

How good could they be with Ragland inactive?

The Franchise 09-09-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14435918)
While that seems like the typical shelf life for the Marcus Coopers and Terrance Mitchells of yesteryear, who is going to replace him? Fenton?

Claiborne.

Buckweath 09-09-2019 08:54 AM

The Chiefs had one sack to the Jaguars zero.

As per ESPN, the Jags had 4 QB hits compared to 3 for the Chiefs.

Not sure about the pressures.

The Jaguars have a very good Dline and really not sure they had much more passrush yesterday than the Chiefs. Sure, the Chiefs were playing backup tackles but then the Jaguars were playing at home.

Again, I wouldn't be concerned about the passrush.

It wasn't good but it's one game.

The pass coverage is another story and yes Ward was very poor.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14435912)

I just don't understand how he's regressed this badly.

Is he just that poorly suited for this system? Was Sutton actually holding him up last year?

He's a good athlete with plus length who has no business simply being beaten down the field like that. And it's not rookie jitters to blame either.

He was bad enough that there wasn't even anything to learn from. You just have to burn the tapes and hope he gives you something next week that you can build on.

I was floored by how lousy he was. I guess I shouldn't have been after his pre-season performance but it's just not that uncommon for someone to struggle in the pre-season and find his form when the lights come on. That was unfortunate, to say the least.

O.city 09-09-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14435931)
I just don't understand how he's regressed this badly.

Is he just that poorly suited for this system? Was Sutton actually holding him up last year?

He's a good athlete with plus length who has no business simply being beaten down the field like that. And it's not rookie jitters to blame either.

He was bad enough that there wasn't even anything to learn from. You just have to burn the tapes and hope he gives you something next week that you can build on.

I was floored by how lousy he was. I guess I shouldn't have been after his pre-season performance but it's just not that uncommon for someone to struggle in the pre-season and find his form when the lights come on. That was unfortunate, to say the least.

Just back to a pumpkin I guess. I dunno, this franchise doesn't seem to be able to id and develop a CB to save their ass.

They had one drafted and developing but he went nutty.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09-09-2019 09:05 AM

Defense sucked but what about our OL? LDT was getting destroyed

O.city 09-09-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14435946)
Defense sucked but what about our OL? LDT was getting destroyed

They weren't great, but against that front, they were good.

You're gonna give up hits and pressures against that front 4. It's loaded.

TwistedChief 09-09-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14435925)
Claiborne.

LOL. Yup, sorry - I'm still hungover today.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09-09-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14435948)
They weren't great, but against that front, they were good.

You're gonna give up hits and pressures against that front 4. It's loaded.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams going to Mark this down against LDT and keep running it at him since they can get it with 4 man fronts. And have for years now. <a href="https://t.co/YXSL9hn60b">https://t.co/YXSL9hn60b</a></p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1171076551233998853?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Danguardace 09-09-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14435928)

The Jaguars have a very good Dline and really not sure they had much more passrush yesterday than the Chiefs. Sure, the Chiefs were playing backup tackles but then the Jaguars were playing at home.

Some of those hit were taken on RPO's

O.city 09-09-2019 09:16 AM

Some may gloss over it, but DJ is right here.

With what they gave up and paid for Clark, they need a lot more than that.

Mecca 09-09-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14435951)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams going to Mark this down against LDT and keep running it at him since they can get it with 4 man fronts. And have for years now. <a href="https://t.co/YXSL9hn60b">https://t.co/YXSL9hn60b</a></p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1171076551233998853?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm going to add this, Nick Jacobs does not like LDT at all, he thinks Erving should play over him.

TEX 09-09-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14435928)

Also, how many holding penalties did the Jags have against the Chiefs D? Maybe the D only got one sack, and 3 pressures, but I seem to remember a few holding penalties as well.

TEX 09-09-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14435977)
I'm going to add this, Nick Jacobs does not like LDT at all, he thinks Erving should play over him.

I know...IMO, Erving was right where he belongs yesterday.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14435977)

The best way to decide if I'm frustrated by that play wasn't to look at LDT and guess what he should do.

It's to look at Schwartz and see what a truly savvy player was prepared to do.

Schwartz was ready for the switch; you could see he passed the DE off and was looking to pick up the G on the twist. LDT simply got locked in and didn't feel for it. He didn't use his help.

At first blush I didn't think that was really LDT's fault, just a good move from the DE. But when you see how a genuinely excellent OL right next to him handled that play, you kinda see exactly how that team OL concept was supposed to work and where/why it failed.

I'm an LDT fan but Jacobs is right here, IMO - that needed to be handled better. You just can't get your QB blasted as he's stepping up like that.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14435983)
Also, how many holding penalties did the Jags have against the Chiefs D? Maybe the D only got one sack, and 3 pressures, but I seem to remember a few holding penalties as well.

I recall 3; at least 2 of them on runs (maybe all 3).

This is the kind of 'justifying' I'm talking about. No, random holding penalties on run plays doesn't paper over a mostly ineffective pass-rush.

We need to see improvement there. I'm not saying it can't come or that it won't, but it was absolutely a problem yesterday. Especially against a bad OL.

Mecca 09-09-2019 09:33 AM

Hopefully they improve, I'm sure it being a billion degrees didn't help.

RunKC 09-09-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14435951)

Good luck to most other teams doing this bc it’s different when LDT is blocking Calais Campbell.

Chiefs OL had trouble and that is to be expected.

Jags have a top 5 pass rush up front. Very few teams can do what they do.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14435983)

To confirm:

There were 5 offensive holding penalties against the Jags yesterday, 4 of them came on run plays and the 5th on that hail mary drive at the end of the 1st half that didn't mean anything. No, the pass rush did nothing to force penalties either.

It was bad, people. If what you saw yesterday was even bordering on an acceptable performance from our pass rush, with our new shiny DE and a DT that many would pay at Fletcher Cox levels (not to mention a decent contract to Okafor and a 2nd round pick on the other end in K-Pass), then you're just seeing what you want to see.

It was not okay by any reasonable scale. Don't just say it was fine because you really wanted it to be. It wasn't - that was a piss-poor performance from our pass rush.

RealSNR 09-09-2019 09:38 AM

Am I the only person who thinks Allen should be starting over Wylie?

MahiMike 09-09-2019 09:38 AM

In that heat, I thought they did fine. The TD pass by Foles was perfectly covered. Just have to tip your hat.

TEX 09-09-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14435998)
To confirm:

There were 5 offensive holding penalties against the Jags yesterday, 4 of them came on run plays and the 5th on that hail mary drive at the end of the 1st half that didn't mean anything. No, the pass rush did nothing to force penalties either.

It was bad, people. If what you saw yesterday was even bordering on an acceptable performance from our pass rush, with our new shiny DE and a DT that many would pay at Fletcher Cox levels (not to mention a decent contract to Okafor and a 2nd round pick on the other end in K-Pass), then you're just seeing what you want to see.

It was not okay by any reasonable scale. Don't just say it was fine because you really wanted it to be. It wasn't - that was a piss-poor performance from our pass rush.

Yea - I missed that.

RealSNR 09-09-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

To confirm:

I was watching at a bar... and I know nothing about playing defensive end other than just guessing at what kinds of things are and aren't effective. Like, I can see when somebody has an array of moves, or uses his speed to get around tackles, etc.

But, yeah. What do you think Frank Clark needs to do? Not challenging your assertion, just wondering where the correction is going to have to come from. Is it an effort thing?

rabblerouser 09-09-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14436001)
Am I the only person who thinks Allen should be starting over Wylie?

No, Wylie sucked teh balls.

O.city 09-09-2019 09:43 AM

With the heat you can see where they may deserve a pass in that they were rotating guys so much.

Pass rushers need to get in a groove IMO as the game wears on.

DJ's left nut 09-09-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14436006)
I was watching at a bar... and I know nothing about playing defensive end other than just guessing at what kinds of things are and aren't effective. Like, I can see when somebody has an array of moves, or uses his speed to get around tackles, etc.

But, yeah. What do you think Frank Clark needs to do? Not challenging your assertion, just wondering where the correction is going to have to come from. Is it an effort thing?

No, I don't think motor will ever be a problem.

And I have to concede that coming from the 3-4 w/ wide sets and such, my eye for pass-rushers badly needs to be re-calibrated.

But to me it's a first step quickness issue. His ability immediately blow out of the box and convert speed to power seems lacking. He seems to have good lean but nothing I would call elite so he can't just bend the edge or anything; he has to use that as a setup to get guys going outside and then explode under them.

But it's like trying to say Neil Smith couldn't be any good because he wasn't as fast as Derrick Thomas off the line. Well no he wasn't, but there are more ways to skin a cat. Clark can be great without having exceptional first-step quickness. He can win with his hands and counter-moves as a 4-3 DE. I just haven't watched guys do that routinely for so long that I have to re-teach myself. I can't just shit on Clark without watching him more and getting a better feel for what he does and doesn't do well. I can say that when Jones was asked to do that stuff from the 5 tech last year he looked a hell of a lot better than Clark did yesterday, but again - not enough of a sample size.

Maybe it was just a bad day because of the heat (I mean, the backup to the backup OT played in the same heat and wasn't getting rotated in and out, but I digress) - there's plenty of time for him to prove me wrong. My point here isn't to say that he's a bust and can't get better. It's to say that in THIS GAME he wasn't very good at all and he must get better.

I just don't have the right feel for him or what Spags is doing yet to really offer much in the way of diagnosis. My first blush is to stand by where I was last week in saying that I think Veach overpaid for a good but not great player and got tunnel vision. But I can't say that yet - it's too early.

It's not too early to say that game 1 was not an acceptable performance from Frank Clark or the pass-rush writ large.

RunKC 09-09-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

To confirm:

They also gave up 22/25 passes and 275 yards to a 6th rd rookie in his first NFL game. They were also getting killed on 3rd down, including giving up a 3rd/18 and 3rd/8.

But hey I’m told that you are apparently a pussy who hates his team if you show any sort of concern over this against the Pats who just got AB.

This type of play just doesn’t seem sustainable against that team. They’re too good

O.city 09-09-2019 10:21 AM

Minshew got the ball out so quick yesterday for the majority of the time, that's not really on the pass rush.

Secondary has to play better.

Easy 6 09-09-2019 10:28 AM

I’m going with a C+

With a brand new scheme and lots of new faces, you’re simply looking for improvement somewhere and we clearly got that from the run defense

That’s a great start and worth hanging your hat on

Letting a 6th round rookie come in and set a record for consecutive completed passes is, uh... not ideal, obviously

But anyone expecting a precision machine in week one needs to reevaluate their expectations

We saw marked improvement in one phase, be glad for that and give them some time to iron out the other wrinkles

frozenchief 09-09-2019 10:34 AM

Thornhill wasn’t bad. Did pretty well in run coverage.
Breeland wasn’t bad either.
Ward was hot diarrhea.
Clark had multiple persons blocking him so I’m not terribly surprised he wasn’t seen so much but I wonder where Jones was.

About 200 yards of Jags passing came on 6 plays, which were typically aimed at Ward. Further, Jags’ last 2 TDS were in garbage time.

It’s too early to say the sky is falling, but there are legitimate reasons for concern. I think safety play, run defense and tackling are much better than last year. I hope we get better in pass defense, particularly when Claiborne gets back.

But this game showed that CB and OL are top needs for next years draft.

FAX 09-09-2019 10:58 AM

I'm stunned. Shocked. Disturbed (moreso than usual).

How in the living hell was our pass rush negated by that joke of a Yaguar o-line? The front 7 should be embarrassed. As for the d-backs, they let a novice quarterback make them look like meandering idiots.

I haven't seen the all-22 yet, but based on what I saw, that was a pitiful and disappointing display. Giving up 26 (garbage points or not) against a tyro under center?

For now, I'm going to blame that disgrace on a new defensive scheme and problems with communication. If the damn faiders put up 26, it's safe to say the hype coming out of camp was just that.

FAX

PAChiefsGuy 09-09-2019 11:12 AM

I think the posts here covered the topic pretty well so I don't have much to add. Just say overall I thought they played pretty bad considering it was a backup QB but it's week 1. Lots of new faces and a new scheme so I know we have to give it time.