ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Schefter: **New NFL Playoff Structure - 1 BYE, 7 Teams per Conference** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329422)

jdubya 02-19-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14803809)
More revenue = more cap room = Jones WILL BE RETAINED!!!

Jones may be retained but not because of your equation. When revenue goes up, players agents will simply demand more.....as they should.

cdcox 02-19-2020 07:44 PM

Adds randomness to who the champion is. Less likely for the best team to actually win the championship.

comochiefsfan 02-19-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 14803819)
Get the 1 seed it’s that simple.

Yeah, but under the old system it was “get a top two seed, it’s that simple.”

Fewer byes for great teams=more playoff games=more chances to get upset.

Do you think the Patriots would’ve been as successful over these last couple decades if only 1 team got a bye? They were the 2 an awful lot as well.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 14803825)
Adds randomness to who the champion is. Less likely for the best team to actually win the championship.

Just the opposite. Now the 1 seeds have an easier path to the SB.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02-19-2020 07:47 PM

Who gives a **** tbh. We got Mahomes

cdcox 02-19-2020 07:48 PM

Actually it probably helps the odds of the one seed, since it increases the odds that the two seed will get knocked off before the conference championship.

DRM08 02-19-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14803827)
Yeah, but under the old system it was “get a top two seed, it’s that simple.”

Fewer byes for great teams=more playoff games=more chances to get upset.

Do you think the Patriots would’ve been as successful over these last couple decades if only 1 team got a bye? They were the 2 an awful lot as well.

I guess the positive is that it will force this team to stay focused on every game. I felt like the team was pretty unfocused against Detroit and Tennessee during the regular season. They squeaked past the Lions in one of the ugliest wins you'll ever see. And the sloppy lack of focus bit them in the butt in Nashville.

PAChiefsGuy 02-19-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 14803756)
Bah! Just leave it alone. As usual, the allure of money ****s shit up.

Agreed.

I don't remember many complaints about the way the current playoffs are setup. Only complaints you hear are how Pats always have an easy road to the the playoffs. this doesn't address that at all.

comochiefsfan 02-19-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14803831)

Correct.

If we get the one we can pretty much punch our ticket.

Anything else, even the 2, and it’s going to be MUCH harder than it ever has been before.

KC_Connection 02-19-2020 08:02 PM

It figures that right when the Patriots get bad and the Chiefs get good, they take away a bye and add an extra playoff team. Good way to protect the Pats’ records.

BigRedChief 02-19-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14803694)
Rosters need to be expanded if they are adding extra games to both regular season and playoffs.

I’m sure rosters are expanded or the players would never have agreed.

What would make it really interesting if every player had to sit out at least one game every season when healthy. Lots of intrigue when to sit your best players. Would teams find that offensive to them and play harder?

BigRedChief 02-19-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14803831)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 14803836)
Actually it probably helps the odds of the one seed, since it increases the odds that the two seed will get knocked off before the conference championship.

yep, the #1 seed will have a huge advantage. Every regular season game will matter more.

notorious 02-19-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14803814)
Well, the players would get 48.5% of that, not .5%

I’m not against your thought process, just saying it’s not that drastically in favor of the owners

The total revenue generates by the extra game should be around 6%.

At 48% the players receive 3% per game (48% divided by 16 games).

At 48.5 the players receive 2.85% per game (48.5% divided by 17 games).

493rd 02-19-2020 08:28 PM

NFL is just a money grab and this new change is stupid. So...44% of the league makes the playoffs? Only a matter of time before we see a 6-10 team hosting a playoff game. But hey, it’s more revenue for the league so it must be done.

Hoover 02-19-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14803864)
It figures that right when the Patriots get bad and the Chiefs get good, they take away a bye and add an extra playoff team. Good way to protect the Pats’ records.

I'm not worried about it.

Gravedigger 02-19-2020 08:37 PM

So it would've been this year:

Ravens Bye
Chiefs vs Steelers
Patriots vs Titans
Texans vs Bills

Ravens vs Titans
Chiefs vs Texans

Chiefs vs Titans

Chiefs win the Super Bowl... nothing changes. It makes the 2 seed play on Wild Card weekend but have no difference in how the playoffs actually plays out unless the 7 seed beats the 2 seed at home... It also makes it to where the Chiefs play on more game to possibly get hurt against the dirty Steelers... Thanks NFL. It's just more money for the owners, that's all it is.

BossChief 02-19-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14803864)

Dude.

Are you paying attention?

This new CBA is almost tailor made for our upcoming dynasty.

Huge expanded cap
Separate QB cap that limits the impact of QB salary
Only the top team gets a bye

Be excited about this stuff.

Hoover 02-19-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14803995)
Dude.

Huge expanded cap

This!

Bowser 02-19-2020 08:41 PM

Does anyone have that Demonpenz MS Paint picture of the elephant spewing shit everywhere? Please post it if you do, TIA.

notorious 02-19-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14804005)
Does anyone have that Demonpenz MS Paint picture of the elephant spewing shit everywhere? Please post it if you do, TIA.

Does the elephant represent Chiefsplanet or the NFL?

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2020 08:50 PM

They haven’t said anything about a QB cap being legit?

Yosef_Malkovitch 02-19-2020 08:54 PM

I don't like it. Almost half the league making the playoffs? The playoffs should be special. The top teams going at it and all that. Not the slightly-above-mediocre teams squeaking in.

Rain Man 02-19-2020 08:55 PM

I dislike cutting to one bye team, even if that helps us for the foreseeable future. The #1 seed already has a big advantage with home field. This system will produce more meaningless games between slightly above average teams while the #1 seed sits and rests.

carcosa 02-19-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14804053)
I dislike cutting to one bye team, even if that helps us for the foreseeable future. The #1 seed already has a big advantage with home field. This system will produce more meaningless games between slightly above average teams while the #1 seed sits and rests.

Yeah, that's the part I hate the most. I can see it screwing us over as much as helping us. Would have forced us to play three games this year, which I think we would have still won... but another game's worth of injury risk and fatigue could easily screw everything up.

RunKC 02-19-2020 09:23 PM

Something like almost 90% of Super Bowl participants were 1 and 2 seeds. It’s a huge advantage.

A 2 seed should not be punished like this. One team getting the top seed is horrible for the playoff format. It’s a weak structure that gives power to 14% of the field instead of 33%.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2020 09:38 PM

At the same time, I think we’re going to see an uptick in teams that sit starters for the final week. More spots means more teams will be locked into the tournament, and I think that’s going to lead to more of those scenarios where coaches elect to prioritize rest over seeding — especially since there’s only one bye to earn.

jerryaldini 02-19-2020 10:04 PM

Optics are bad with owners doing a money grab while talking out of the other side of their mouth about player safety. So tired of sports being diluted by monetary incentives.

comochiefsfan 02-19-2020 10:12 PM

Schefter on ESPN shilling for the league, like everybody wants this shit.

GTFOH

Chiefspants 02-19-2020 10:15 PM

I see Roger hung out at his friend Rob’s house this week.

Chiefspants 02-19-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14803832)
Who gives a **** tbh. We got Mahomes

Absolutely this.

The CBA changes would be pitch-perfect for the Chiefs to have a dynasty capable team. Jones, Watkins and about improved IOL and LB core is a team dominant enough to almost even out the odds with an added game in the playoffs.

Would there be a record Mahomes wouldn’t obliterate under this format?

I hate the playoff changes, btw - but with Mahomes who even cares.

KC_Connection 02-19-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14803995)
Dude.

Huge expanded cap

Adding games and further randomizing the playoffs is not good for any Chiefs dynasty (and that's exactly what this move does). Wasn't speaking on the rest of the CBA.

BossChief 02-19-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14804362)
Adding games and further randomizing the playoffs is not good for any Chiefs dynasty (and that's exactly what this move does). Wasn't speaking on the rest of the CBA.

Teams are going to have to come to a rested Arrowhead every year with Andy having 2 weeks to prepare for them.

Dynasty time, baby.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2020 10:34 PM

Teams could still very easily lock themselves into the 2 seed before the final game and then they are just going to make it their own bye week by resting starters. So I think that aspect of it is going to level out somewhat many times.

RunKC 02-19-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14804369)
Teams are going to have to come to a rested Arrowhead every year with Andy having 2 weeks to prepare for them.

Dynasty time, baby.

That’s not a guarantee by any means and this year proves that. We were lucky.

Lucky the Dolphins beat the Patriots. Lucky that Pat was not placed on IR after his knee was turned sideways.

Injuries happen all the time and a lot of that is pure luck. Last year we were lucky. This year it was the Ravens who didn’t have any major injuries.

Playing another game is another opportunity for more injuries. If the players are smart, they’ll demand a 2nd bye week be added to the regular season.

These players bodies go through a ton and more players are retiring early. Adding more games does nothing for the good of the league except put money in owners pockets.

TEX 02-19-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14804351)
Schefter on ESPN shilling for the league, like everybody wants this shit.

GTFOH

Yep. Dumb. 7 teams making the playoffs is too many. It cheapens it IMO.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14804394)
That’s not a guarantee by any means and this year proves that. We were lucky.

Lucky the Dolphins beat the Patriots. Lucky that Pat was not placed on IR after his knee was turned sideways.

Injuries happen all the time and a lot of that is pure luck. Last year we were lucky. This year it was the Ravens who didn’t have any major injuries.

Playing another game is another opportunity for more injuries. If the players are smart, they’ll demand a 2nd bye week be added to the regular season.

These players bodies go through a ton and more players are retiring early. Adding more games does nothing for the good of the league except put money in owners pockets.

This is a two-sided coin IMHO.

We can say we were lucky that Miami won, that Pat’s injury wasn’t worse... but I can just as easily say that other teams were lucky he (and our other stars) were hurt and missed games to begin with. Those injuries to star players directly correlated to 3 of our losses.

I could also say we were unlucky to deal with all of that, including Mahomes missing 2 games. Most teams still didn’t have the injury misfortune the Chiefs had — we were just fortunate enough to have our guys when it mattered most (outside of Jones and his freak calf injury—bad luck).

RunKC 02-19-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14804397)
This is a two-sided coin IMHO.

We can say we were lucky that Miami won, that Pat’s injury wasn’t worse... but I can just as easily say that other teams were lucky he (and our other stars) were hurt and missed games to begin with. Those injuries to star players directly correlated to 3 of our losses.

I could also say we were unlucky to deal with all of that, including Mahomes missing 2 games. Most teams still didn’t have the injury misfortune the Chiefs had — we were just fortunate enough to have our guys when it mattered most (outside of Jones and his freak calf injury—bad luck).

That’s what sucks about this. We don’t get injured like we were then we are the top seed.

I hate it that only one team gets a bye. It’s too big of an advantage and one seed is usually due to luck.

You’re placing the 2 seed in the same boat as a 7 seed. A 14-3 team could be playing 3 games like a 9-7 team in this system.

Hate hate hate it. The format was damn near perfect and they ****ed it up.

KC_Connection 02-19-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14804369)

Dynasty time, baby.

The chances of getting a #1 seed every year are a lot less likely than getting a top 2 seed every year. There's no question that this change hurts the top teams like the Chiefs/Ravens and is better for the mediocre ones.

TEX 02-19-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14804407)
That’s what sucks about this. We don’t get injured like we were then we are the top seed.

I hate it that only one team gets a bye. It’s too big of an advantage and one seed is usually due to luck.

You’re placing the 2 seed in the same boat as a 7 seed. A 14-3 team could be playing 3 games like a 9-7 team in this system.

Hate hate hate it. The format was damn near perfect and they ****ed it up.

Yeo. For the love of $$$.

PurpleRiders51 02-19-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 14803647)
To give just one team that big of an advantage over the rest is just stupid. Football is the only major sport with a playoff bye to begin with. Baseball has a Wildcard game to get into the playoffs but that is completely different. You don't see NBA or MLB teams getting the first round of the playoff off just because they have the 1 seed. I don't have a problem with the NFL having first round byes but for just 1 team to get it is a garbage idea

One team in both the NFC & AFC, or just one team total from both?

TEX 02-19-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14804187)
Something like almost 90% of Super Bowl participants were 1 and 2 seeds. It’s a huge advantage.

A 2 seed should not be punished like this. One team getting the top seed is horrible for the playoff format. It’s a weak structure that gives power to 14% of the field instead of 33%.

Yep. They'll fix it when 8 teams get in. :shake:

Azide22 02-19-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14803666)
I wonder how they're planning to schedule the 17 games. The current structure is really elegant, so it's hard to figure out where the 17th matchup is going to come from.

My thoughts exactly. And it's been great since 2002.

I hate both proposals.

TEX 02-19-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleRiders51 (Post 14804436)

Top seed in each conference so two teams total.

CarlosCarson27 02-19-2020 11:40 PM

Well. Looks like it's a final decision. I don't care as of now

The Franchise 02-19-2020 11:50 PM

If you want an extra playoff game, then let 8 teams in and keep the top two get a bye.

CarlosCarson27 02-20-2020 12:07 AM

Makes sense that they waited till year 101 to do this.
A new cycle

Dante84 02-20-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14804464)
If you want an extra playoff game, then let 8 teams in and keep the top two get a bye.

Half the league making the playoffs seems too much.

BossChief 02-20-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14804464)

This may sound like a dumb question, but how would that bracket work?

6 teams play the first week and 3 win and 2 byes...

Maybe all 4 division winners get a bye and then the next 4 best records get in and fight amongst themselves for the right to play the division winners?

I kinda like that...

CarlosCarson27 02-20-2020 12:17 AM

league did it so they can get Raiders in the playoffs with the move to Vegas, Among other reasons of course

PAChiefsGuy 02-20-2020 01:27 AM

This is about money and nothing else. Watering down the playoffs. Greedyass owners.

CarlosCarson27 02-20-2020 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 14804540)
This is about money and nothing else. Watering down the playoffs. Greedyass owners.

in part, you can blame legal gambling. This gives them so much more leverage to screw people with lower seeds winning early rounds, like The Titans this last year.
watered down? makes it beefier and more fun actually. And like you said, Money

Bill Brasky 02-20-2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleRiders51 (Post 14804436)

One team from both. The nfc and afc seed get byes.

It’s terrible. Either get rid of them completely or keep the current format,

dlphg9 02-20-2020 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14803817)
Less teams getting a bye is HORRIBLE for us.

We have the best QB and best team. How is that horrible for us?

HemiEd 02-20-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 14803756)
Bah! Just leave it alone. As usual, the allure of money ****s shit up.

Yep, keep fixing it until it is broke. :(

I blame King Karl for this, he was always pushing for more teams in the playoffs.

Why Not? 02-20-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14804487)

Maybe all 4 division winners get a bye and then the next 4 best records get in and fight amongst themselves for the right to play the division winners?

I kinda like that...

You’d still end up eventually with an odd number of teams. There would be 2 winners from the WC round but 4 division winners. There would need to be 12 playoff teams per conference to be able to award all division winners a bye.

InChiefsHeaven 02-20-2020 07:26 AM

This makes my head hurt. Sigh...

WhawhaWhat 02-20-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14804351)
Schefter on ESPN shilling for the league

What else is new. Schefter has always been a shill for the league. Let's be honest this is good for ESPN as well as it's more NFL playoff inventory for them to get their hands on.

FlaChief58 02-20-2020 08:10 AM

Fans: No one can **** up the NFL playoffs, it's perfect.

NFL: Hold my spritzer

BigRedChief 02-20-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14804434)
Yeo. For the love of $$$.

Mahomes gets $200 million, DAX, Cousins, JimmyG gets $30 million, Rodgers, Russell getting $35 million etc.

People in Arrowhead and other NFL stadiums arn't paying for those salaries, TV is. It's just the reality. The players are going along with it or it wouldn't be happening. They are making a money grab too.

In my middle class life, I've lived in different cities temporarily because someone paid me enough money to make it worth my time. Cant fault either side here. Everyone involved in this decision is making a selfish decisions that benefit themselves. This is our culture of capitalism.

ptlyon 02-20-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14804587)
Yep, keep fixing it until it is broke. :(

Nascar anybody?

The Franchise 02-20-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14804487)

I kinda like that...

Who the **** knows. Both ideas are dumb.

BWillie 02-20-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 14803699)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If the newly proposed playoff system were in place the last 10 years we would have added:<br><br>• five 10-win teams<br>• nine 9-win teams<br>• six 8-win teams<br><br>The team helped the most (by far) would have been the Steelers who would have made 4 more playoff trips &amp; 10/10 the last 10 yrs. <a href="https://t.co/VYWn7xBpID">pic.twitter.com/VYWn7xBpID</a></p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1230289655062519808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can’t really bitch at that

You can't??!? It eliminates two teams from getting a bye and dilutes the regular season. If these guys are going to bash their brains in, the regular season should mean something. We wouldn't even have got a bye this post season...

BWillie 02-20-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14804574)
We have the best QB and best team. How is that horrible for us?

We had that this year and we wouldn't have gotten a bye based on the new format. Plus, you can be the #2 seed just based on being unlucky or having to face the toughest schedule. Additionally some teams are going to get an one more home game than the rest of them. Total bullshit.

displacedinMN 02-20-2020 09:14 AM

I do not see players adding 1-2 more games.

notorious 02-20-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14804737)

I am fully on their side.

**** the owners.

BigRedChief 02-20-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14804737)

A $5 BILLION raise for the players seems to have them rethinking that position.

ghak99 02-20-2020 09:38 AM

The extra playoff game and loss of a 2 seed bye is bullshit. Some dog shit team that got an easy schedule is going to slide into the playoffs on regular basis.

Flipping the last worthless preseason game to the regular season seems logical, if the rosters get adjusted.

I care more about the cap and if there is a qb exemption though. Any info on that yet?

PAChiefsGuy 02-20-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosCarson88 (Post 14804548)
in part, you can blame legal gambling. This gives them so much more leverage to screw people with lower seeds winning early rounds, like The Titans this last year.

I'm not sure legal gambling has much to do w it. There's always going to be plenty of idiots blowing money on gambling. I dont think that has much to do w it.

scho63 02-20-2020 09:41 AM

So one team plays a strength of schedule of say .560 and the other plays a SOS at .445 and the one who plays 8 weak teams gets the top seed at #1.

Yeah, I'm no fan of this on any level. I think the amount of games and structure was perfect.

Baseball Playoffs: Too little
Hockey and NBA: too many
NFL: WAS just perfect

Goodall is the Vince McMahon of the NFL

BWillie 02-20-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosCarson88 (Post 14804548)

Has nothing to do with gambling. Has more to do with adding games with my TV/streaming revenue.

notorious 02-20-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 14804779)
I'm not sure legal gambling has much to do w it. There's always going to be plenty of idiots blowing money on gambling. I dont think that has much to do w it.

When the NFL sanctions it and gets a cut it will. Already talk of moving books inside of stadiums.

Another point:

There are 15 playoff games including the Super Bowl. Add two playoff games.

Imagine if you are running a business and something guaranteed you a 13% (!!!!) increase in revenue for the month, and you already had the facilities and employees to do it.......

dirk digler 02-20-2020 09:49 AM

The more I think about it the more it stinks. They should just not give bye's and let 8 teams\conference in otherwise the #1 seed is going to have a such a incredible advantage.

SAGA45 02-20-2020 09:54 AM

First round would be:

7@2
6@3
5@4

Lets say 7 upsets 2 and both 3 and 4 take care of business then the 2nd round looks like:

7@1
4@3

If 7 pulls a '19 Titans and 3 beats 4 then 3 has homefield in the Conference Championship.

Not bad actually. Sometimes teams get hot late after a piss poor start but fall just shy of the playoffs due to tiebreakers. With this setup, that 7th seed could potentially be the most dangerous team in the playoffs.

PAChiefsGuy 02-20-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14804792)
When the NFL sanctions it and gets a cut it will. Already talk of moving books inside of stadiums.

Another point:

There are 15 playoff games including the Super Bowl. Add two playoff games.

Imagine if you are running a business and something guaranteed you a 13% (!!!!) increase in revenue for the month, and you already had the facilities and employees to do it.......

Im sure it played a part but i dont think a huge one.. Revenue from NFL playoff games is going to mainly come from playoff tickets sold and television - not sports gambling.

Chiefnj2 02-20-2020 10:20 AM

If they are going to change it, then make a wholesale change.

Top 8 teams get in by record. Top 2 teams choose who they play in round one.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-20-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 14804807)
First round would be:

7@2
6@3
5@4

Lets say 7 upsets 2 and both 3 and 4 take care of business then the 2nd round looks like:

7@1
4@3

If 7 pulls a '19 Titans and 3 beats 4 then 3 has homefield in the Conference Championship.

Not bad actually. Sometimes teams get hot late after a piss poor start but fall just shy of the playoffs due to tiebreakers. With this setup, that 7th seed could potentially be the most dangerous team in the playoffs.

That might happen once every decade or so but let’s be honest, more often than not that 7 seed is gonna get throttled.

Chiefs hosting the Steelers this year? Would have been a bloodbath.

The Franchise 02-20-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14804920)
That might happen once every decade or so but let’s be honest, more often than not that 7 seed is gonna get throttled.

Chiefs hosting the Steelers this year? Would have been a bloodbath.

Yep. Zero percent chance that a dude named Duck leads that team to a playoff win.

TimeForWasp 02-20-2020 11:12 AM

How in the hell can you add a team and take away a bye. Stupid.

Chiefspants 02-20-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14804926)
Yep. Zero percent chance that a dude named Duck leads that team to a playoff win.

Yeah - just how do the playoffs stack up with 7 teams this year?

BYE
1. Ravens

Wild Card

2. Chiefs 35
7. Steelers 7

3. Patriots 13
6. Titans 14

4. Texans 22
5. Bills 19

Which would lead to the same result. Yes, the risk is that the Chiefs would have sustained a major injury against the Steelers and that would change the overall outcome, but idk. I think a lot of the worry we have is through the lens of the 90's playoff losses and our losses with Alex Smith, where our QB would be called to win the game against a mediocre team - but Patrick is just going to deliver - often delivering before a game winning drive is necessary.

If the trade is that we keep Jones, Watkins, and get to load up at IOL and LB? Gosh, I don't know - it's almost worth it. Keeping that defense respectable puts us in dynasty potential. I'd still prefer we stick to the status quo, though.

Halfcan 02-20-2020 11:36 AM

This new format will benefit teams like the Chargers, Faders, and Donks- who won't be winning the division for a decade. They are average teams with average QB's, and average records. Not good enough to get a Wild Card, but now get a free pass to the show.

I don't like it. This is why you play the regular season.