ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs *****The Lucas Niang Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330850)

Boon 04-24-2020 10:36 PM

Always room for good fatties. They seem to get hurt a lot.

staylor26 04-24-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 14933671)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“The TCU tackle (Lucas Niang) my sophomore year he was pretty good. I was a younger guy, that’s when I was really figuring out technique. Playing that game I definitely had to find out that I needed technique to win beyond my physical skills”<br><br>-Chase Young on his toughest matchup</p>&mdash; Kansas City Media (@KansasCityMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/KansasCityMedia/status/1253901761783480320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow

JohnnyHammersticks 04-24-2020 10:43 PM

Time will tell of course, but I think Veach has just murdered these first 3 picks. Outstanding job.

Home run, home run, home run.

Grade so far: A

A+ when you consider where we were picking.

Not necessarily guys I was focused on, but that's on me. CEH and Gay just jump off tape and all 3 are perfect fits.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 10:57 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brett Veach says Lucas Niang could compete right away at guard if the team has a full training camp. He could start his career inside at guard and later kick outside to tackle.</p>&mdash; Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattderrick/status/1253908538432335873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigChiefFan 04-24-2020 11:01 PM

This guy has a lot of upside. Veach is banking on some measurables paying dividends in this draft.

Hammock Parties 04-24-2020 11:02 PM

If this guy pans out they might cut Fisher next season. They can save $11.5 mil.

Fish 04-24-2020 11:07 PM

Or at least move Fisher back to his natural position at RT.... :D

Chiefs=Champions 04-24-2020 11:13 PM

Unfair to put this on him, but he kind of reminds of Roaf. Size with rare athleticism. He moves so well, has a great feel for sliding to the 2nd level, hard to understand why he fell so far.

Coach 04-24-2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Champions (Post 14933737)
Unfair to put this on him, but he kind of reminds of Roaf. Size with rare athleticism. He moves so well, has a great feel for sliding to the 2nd level, hard to understand why he fell so far.

Injuries.

He's 1st round talent, nobody really disputes that. He just has a little trouble staying healthy at times.

Hammock Parties 04-24-2020 11:21 PM

lol can you imagine if this dude is a Roaf level talent...

adding a truly elite LT and RB to this offense would be unfair LMAO

Coach 04-24-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14933756)
lol can you imagine if this dude is a Roaf level talent...

adding a truly elite LT and RB to this offense would be unfair LMAO

He has the size and the length to live in an island. It's definitely there.

He'll just need to work on his footwork, but for a man that size with quick feet and can get to the 2nd level pretty fluidly, I think the footwork will come along once he gets some experience and muscle memory reps.

He has the potentional to be a great LT. It's there. Just hope it works out.

Worst case, he's a solid G.

This is a great value/pick all around.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-24-2020 11:36 PM

So it seems like the staff is imagining him as the day one LG.

Fisher-Niang-Reiter-LDT-Schwartz week one?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14933789)
So it seems like the staff is imagining him as the day one LG.

Fisher-Niang-Reiter-LDT-Schwartz week one?

Yep depending on if Rankin is healthy. If he is the n I can see a camp battle

BigRedChief 04-25-2020 02:29 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qulc0O3itDc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MahomesMagic 04-25-2020 05:00 AM

When I go to Draft Network I always like Crabbs' notes.

Pass Sets - Hips appeared more restrictive in 2019, could be a byproduct of hip injury he played with this season. Guilty of some false steps out of his stance and his base is deconstructed when he feels he's lost leverage on blocks. He's got plenty of physical mobility to further enhance sets.

Length/Extension - Plenty of reach to make an impact at first contact. Thought he showed good development and improvement in his strike timing during 2019 season. Hand strength and functional power to stay attached on lateral blocks allows for effective reset of the LOS outside the tackle box.

Balance - Thought he got caught in some instances of overextending himself but he flashes a dynamic base to reset and snap himself back into position when put into recovery mode. His deep sets still appear a little clunky and power rushes can catch him leaning outside with power.

Hand Technique - Placement has shown notable improvement over final season and a half. Really cut down on strikes landing outside the breastplate and has applied a little extra pop in his hands. His grip strength is excellent to latch onto bodies once he's got a hand fit.

Power at POA - Awesome ability to push people around and create space for his rushers in the run game. Road grader who compliments his power with surprising grace in lateral string-out blocks or when firing directly off the ball and immediately establishing contact.

Football IQ - Active/effective in passing off twists, stunts and blitzes — doesn't typically get busted having to bail out late and shows good awareness of the numbers game and avoids being pulled out of position via pre-snap looks. Appreciate the run game footwork in action.

Functional Athleticism - Pretty stunning to see how well he moves. He's a big fella but has little issue firing out to win with quickness at the snap or climb to the second level and break down on a block. Really impressive application of strength when blocking on the move.

Anchor Ability - Really dense torso and lower half, he provides a good deal of natural strength and the body control to sit down and recover when he's put on his heels. Chase Young got him one time with speed to power but otherwise he's difficult to straight bully.

Flexibility - Natural mobility is very good and he's got good ability to hinge hips in angular sets (when healthy) and shows dynamic lower half to bend and play low/with power. He's not one to constantly fight against his own frame, rolls through contact well.

Competitive Toughness - Tenacity is notable and you'll see him up in a defender's grill through the end of the whistle. Played through hip injury in 2019 and helped team knock off Texas before undergoing surgery. Leads by example and gets strong reviews for leading by example.

---

Best Trait - Functional Athleticism

Worst Trait - Pass Sets

Best Film - Purdue (2019)

Worst Film - Ohio State (2018)

Red Flags - 2019 Hip INJ

Summary - Lucas Niang is a high-upside starter in the NFL. Niang's mobility would make him a great fit in a zone style system and his length and range as a pass blocker make him an attractive option for teams with deeper passing concepts. There is some refinement needed in Niang's footwork but he shows all the requisite physical skills to be a plus starter in the pros. Should find the field early and improve through first few seasons. Should be healthy for the 2020 season.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/l...ang/KkU5UJHJ0J

Love it..makes a lot of sense and if we get a future starting tackle in the 3rd..that's incredible value.

TwistedChief 04-25-2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 14933671)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“The TCU tackle (Lucas Niang) my sophomore year he was pretty good. I was a younger guy, that’s when I was really figuring out technique. Playing that game I definitely had to find out that I needed technique to win beyond my physical skills”<br><br>-Chase Young on his toughest matchup</p>&mdash; Kansas City Media (@KansasCityMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/KansasCityMedia/status/1253901761783480320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is literally the only thing that matters in the entire discussion about the guy.

PHOG 04-25-2020 06:37 AM

Oh my gosh, love this pick. Nailed it Vegas! :clap:

Bob Dole 04-25-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14933894)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qulc0O3itDc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andy introducing himself is hilarious.

DJ's left nut 04-25-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14933525)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucas Niang carried a second round grade on my board, but make no mistake, he has first round talent. Injuries derailed his stock.<br><br>Great value pick by the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> at 96.</p>&mdash; Jonah Tuls (@JonahTulsNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonahTulsNFL/status/1253890066423918593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would've been good with him in the 2nd as well. From the 'call your shot' thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14911249)
I'm thinking someone like Lucas Niang.

Hip injury that slowed him down in '19 after looking like a real 1st round probable in '18. Outstanding physical tools and what appears to be a good head for the game. Just a GIANT dude who is very agile for his size. No experience at LT (IIRC) but might have the tools to play it.

So if he's there in the 2nd...maybe? Depending on the board? You'd want him to get at least a full season to make sure he's recovered from the hip surgery and you can maybe lean him out a bit to make him more agile. Then you work technique like crazy. Then in season 2 you see if you have a guy that can be a swing tackle, in which case you have a potential LT.

And I may just like him more than most - guys that big with plus athleticism are just so damn rare. That's why I liked the Fisher pick when we made it - 6'7" dudes w/ the agility to play on an island at LT are just awfully tough to get your hands on. So I may be falling victim to measurables.

But if the board fell to hell and Niang was sitting there at 63...I'd have to strongly consider taking him.

O.city 04-25-2020 07:28 AM

Would seem like an ideal situation if he can play LG and eventually transition to LT, although I'm not sure why we are overly quick to move on from Fisher or Schwartz

gblowfish 04-25-2020 07:36 AM

Fisher has been somewhat injury prone, so having a serviceable rookie to help protect him is a very good thing. Last thing we need is someone going all Rodney Harrison on Mahomie.

Lzen 04-25-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14933603)
I feel like I can say this:

We got significantly better in these first 3 rounds.

We returned 20/22 starters from the SB winning team, but i think by mid-season, each of these 3 guys are starters or at least playing 'starters' minutes.

Agreed

Chris Meck 04-25-2020 08:31 AM

I'm going to just admit right now that I've lost all objectivity. I think. Either that, or this is the best draft EVER. So yeah, it's got to be me.

But...when I look at this kid, he LOOKS like Willie Roaf. Built just like him, even has that weird little duck walk thing. He's got those nimble ballerina feet that seems like they're too small for his upper body and those long arms. I mean, Fisher's not built like that. He doesn't move like that. But Roaf did, he was almost awkward until the snap, and then he was so dominant.

I mean, if this kid can take the LG spot this year, learn the NFL, learn this offense next to Fisher and get his seasoning, I think he could very well move to either tackle spot as soon as we need him to and be a long term starter.

OnTheWarpath15 04-25-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14934036)
Would seem like an ideal situation if he can play LG and eventually transition to LT, although I'm not sure why we are overly quick to move on from Fisher or Schwartz

I can think of 11 million reasons.

O.city 04-25-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14934382)

For sure, but for a LT, thats not much.

DJ's left nut 04-25-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14934382)

Leramy Tunsil just got $22 million and people are STILL trying to cut Eric Fisher to save half that?

Jesus.

Simply Red 04-25-2020 10:13 AM

It's not 'Fatty' - it's 'Phatty!'

TYVM

staylor26 04-25-2020 10:15 AM

Yea 11 mil is a bargain at this point.

Simply Red 04-25-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14934175)
I'm going to just admit right now that I've lost all objectivity. I think. Either that, or this is the best draft EVER. So yeah, it's got to be me.

But...when I look at this kid, he LOOKS like Willie Roaf. Built just like him, even has that weird little duck walk thing. He's got those nimble ballerina feet that seems like they're too small for his upper body and those long arms. I mean, Fisher's not built like that. He doesn't move like that. But Roaf did, he was almost awkward until the snap, and then he was so dominant.

I mean, if this kid can take the LG spot this year, learn the NFL, learn this offense next to Fisher and get his seasoning, I think he could very well move to either tackle spot as soon as we need him to and be a long term starter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/85cL1HisrNc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 04-25-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14934385)
For sure, but for a LT, thats not much.

It's dick for a LT.

The problem will be 2 years from now when Fisher asks for $20 million. SOMEONE is going to pay him that.

Fish is a good LT who's put in tough situations all the time and generally acquits himself nicely. His absence was so clearly felt last year that I just dont understand how hes still a whipping boy around here.

Buckweath 04-25-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

It is a case of BPA.

I would not expect Fisher or Schwartz to leave before minimum 2 years but it is definitly a good move to invest in the Oline now especially that they have not invested much there recently.

The guy supposedly can play G.

Fisher or Schwartz could get injured.

Maybe Niang progresses really quick and you can save money by releasing Fisher one year from now.

Maybe Niang takes over LT at the expiration of Fisher's contract and you are not pigeon holed into taking a LT in the 1st round.

I believe the pick makes a ton of sense.

Dante84 04-25-2020 11:16 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucas Niang Film Thread <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadLive?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ArrowheadLive</a> ��ON<br>He has all the intangebles to play OT in the NFL. Quick feet, active hands, long arms, and a strong base. His initial pass set needs a little work but his recovery and fight outstanding. <a href="https://t.co/QknNVbN7oL">pic.twitter.com/QknNVbN7oL</a></p>&mdash; Caleb James (@CJScoobs) <a href="https://twitter.com/CJScoobs/status/1254096220294791169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Coach 04-25-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14934397)
It's dick for a LT.

The problem will be 2 years from now when Fisher asks for $20 million. SOMEONE is going to pay him that.

Fish is a good LT who's put in tough situations all the time and generally acquits himself nicely. His absence was so clearly felt last year that I just dont understand how hes still a whipping boy around here.

That was a bad draft that year when Fisher went #1. And he had a extremely rough go at it in the first few years, which just made it worse in terms of making that pick. That's how he got to be the whipping boy.

But he has acquitted himself as of recent and has been better.

Was he worth the 1.1? Probably not. However, given how that draft played out...

1. Fisher - Still playing - Solid
2. Jockel - Out of the NFL after 2017 - Bust
3. Jordan - Still playing but wasn't very good. Bounced around to 3 teams now.
4. Johnson - Still playing - Solid
5. Ansah - Still playing - Decent.

None of these guys were 1.1 value in my opinion. But the Chiefs got it right with Fisher, because if I recall, it was between him or Jockel.

Redbled 04-25-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Both are solid values for their production. No hurry at all.

Hammock Parties 04-25-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14934056)
Fisher has been somewhat injury prone, so having a serviceable rookie to help protect him is a very good thing. Last thing we need is someone going all Rodney Harrison on Mahomie.

Yes.

The older he gets, the worse it will be.

If Fisher is banged up next season again, and the Chiefs get wind he'll be looking for a giant payday as he hits 30 in 2021, it's time to move on if this kid is ready.

RunKC 04-25-2020 03:52 PM

I really love this pick because he looks like an exceptional athlete at a premium position that would have likely gone 1st rd if he didn’t have the injury.

He really is one of those players that can diversify and give us good play right away at LG, LT or RT if an injury occurs and possibly start at either tackle spot in the future.

This pick is the one that could make the draft “good” to “outstanding” if he does a good job starting at tackle by the end of his rookie contract.

DaneMcCloud 04-25-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14934386)
Leramy Tunsil just got $22 million and people are STILL trying to cut Eric Fisher to save half that?

Jesus.

Most casual fans, even on Chiefsplanet, have no idea what the value of contracts, at basically every position, are across the league.

Eric Fisher is without a doubt a bargain in today's NFL.

DaneMcCloud 04-25-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14935287)
Yes.

The older he gets, the worse it will be.

If Fisher is banged up next season again, and the Chiefs get wind he'll be looking for a giant payday as he hits 30 in 2021, it's time to move on if this kid is ready.

This is a scenario with WAY too many "Ifs".

Fisher is under contract through the end of the 2021 season, so they have two more drafts and offseasons before they need to either make a move for a new left tackle or begin grooming someone that's already on the roster.

If Fisher is still valuable in 2022 but the Chiefs don't or can't meet his contract demands, they'll allow him to walk and receive a 3rd round Comp Pick in return.

But that's a long way out in football terms.

KChiefs1 04-25-2020 05:12 PM

Spitting image of Willie Roaf. Hope he plays like him.

KChiefs1 06-07-2020 09:03 AM

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020...n-connecticut/

Chiefs’ Lucas Niang organized march to seek justice for George Floyd
by
Ed Easton Jr.
Quote:

Chiefs OT Lucas Niang organized march to seek justice for George Floyd

The death of George Floyd and others due to police brutality has influenced protests and rallies around the country. The ongoing discussion regarding race in the United States has taken over headlines and social media as more attention has been given to these issue. Many NFL players have used their platform to highlight racial tension. Kansas City Chiefs rookie OT Lucas Niang is among the NFL players taking action.

Niang, along with his brother Ethan, organized a march with more than 1,000 participants in his hometown of New Canaan, Connecticut, in support of Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement. The march took place on Thursday, June 4.

The event was met with plenty of support from the community in New Canaan. They also supported Niang along his journey to the NFL, celebrating him with a drive-by parade when he was selected by the Chiefs in the NFL draft. Niang spoke about the impact of being appreciated in his hometown with some local media members.

“This was awesome and everything I could have ever dreamed,” Niang told the Stamford Advocate. “I gave my heart and soul to this town and they paid me back. It lets me know that everything I have been doing isn’t for no reason. I have a lot of supporters and I am thankful for that.”

Above you’ll find a video of Niang leading Thursday’s march. He says the following two phrases into the megaphone as a call and response: “No Justice, No Peace” and “Black Lives Matter.”

Niang was the Chiefs’ third-round pick, selected 96th overall in April’s NFL draft. The 6-foot-7, 315-pound offensive lineman, played collegiate at Texas Christian University after leaving New Canaan in 2016.

The Chiefs are one of many teams that have publicly voiced their support for black lives around the world. Niang’s efforts seek to raise awareness and understanding and impact change in the near future.

RealSNR 06-07-2020 09:06 AM

I hope he checked with Chiefs fans to see if it was okay that he protested and that he checked off all the protocol to make sure it was the right kind of protest!

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-07-2020 09:21 AM

ZERO sacks allowed in college and only 3 penalties.

He can organize all the protests he wants as far as I'm concerned.

JakeF 06-07-2020 05:46 PM

We Niang to step-up big in his 1st year. Especially if LDT stays in Canada to treat COVID-19. We'll have needs at both guard positions.

Dante84 08-06-2020 08:01 AM

Welp - Niang is taking a medical redshirt. Hopefully dude spends a year getting stronger, learning, and comes into '21 as a beast.

If he is truly a replacement for a starting OT spot, then pushing his future extension a year isnt a bad thing. Total unknown though, obviously.

I wonder if he'll get viewed as a Breeland Speaks type for opting out.

DJ's left nut 08-06-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15102148)
Welp - Niang is taking a medical redshirt. Hopefully dude spends a year getting stronger, learning, and comes into '21 as a beast.

If he is truly a replacement for a starting OT spot, then pushing his future extension a year isnt a bad thing. Total unknown though, obviously.

I wonder if he'll get viewed as a Breeland Speaks type for opting out.

Long-term it's probably a good thing. It puts him on a cleaner timeline for potentially replacing Fisher or Schwartz if we can't re-sign one of them. It also gives him another year to get healthy from the labrum issue.

But that OL is getting thin in a hurry...

louie aguiar 11-21-2020 04:45 PM

Good thing this dude didn’t get the rona

KChiefs1 11-21-2020 06:09 PM

He’s a loser & quitter. I’d cut his ass next year.

kcclone 11-21-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15339834)

Him abandoning his team is a big red flag.

RustShack 11-21-2020 06:25 PM

Did he have a reason? I know Williams opted out because of something like his mom having cancer.

RealSNR 11-21-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 15339852)
Did he have a reason? I know Williams opted out because of something like his mom having cancer.

Does it matter? According to the last few posts, everybody has already made up their minds about Niang because he chose to opt out.

Now I REALLY hope he turns out to be the next Willie Roaf. So I can have fun bumping these posts years into the future.

OKchiefs 11-21-2020 07:00 PM

Not going to completely blast the guy, but I also don't have much faith in him. More confident in Yasir Durant doing something going forward.

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15339834)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 15339840)
Him abandoning his team is a big red flag.

Both of you are beyond ****ing stupid. Niang had a very serious injury this year and wouldn't have even been ready to practice until late this year.

Him opting out was the best possible scenario for the Chiefs because he not only is allowed to heal without any pressure, the Chiefs have him for 4 full years, not 3 years, as they would have had if he hadn't opted out.

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 15339878)
Not going to completely blast the guy, but I also don't have much faith in him.

Why? What have you seen on video that makes you think it was a poor decision to draft him?

staylor26 11-21-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 15339878)
Not going to completely blast the guy, but I also don't have much faith in him. More confident in Yasir Durant doing something going forward.

:facepalm:

kysirsoze 11-21-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15339883)
Both of you are beyond ****ing stupid. Niang had a very serious injury this year and wouldn't have even been ready to practice until late this year.

Him opting out was the best possible scenario for the Chiefs because he not only is allowed to heal without any pressure, the Chiefs have him for 4 full years, not 3 years, as they would have had if he hadn't opted out.

Was going to post this. The other two opt outs were totally understandable, but this one was actually GOOD for the team. I guess people are just having emotional reactions to the Schwartz news.

RustShack 11-21-2020 07:34 PM

I don’t understand why he’s suddenly bad? He’s still big and super talented. Another year of growth doesn’t seem bad to me.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-21-2020 07:37 PM

We'll be glad to have him in camp next year along with some new faces via free agency or draft. The OL is important and Veach knows it.

srvy 11-21-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 15339914)
I don’t understand why he’s suddenly bad? He’s still big and super talented. Another year of growth doesn’t seem bad to me.

No one should think he is bad, it's just he is an unknown. Yeah he was hurt and probably couldn't have offered much this year. What I still am not sure of with opting out if he even gets any real-time NFL coaching. With covid does he even get near the team? I pretty much doubt it. So Yasir Durant is now ahead of him and Niang starts out on the same level as any o lineman we may pick in 2021.

Also, tackle being Rankins natural position won't he get a shot there on the right side. Maybe he blew it 2 years ago with his performance don't know.

In58men 11-21-2020 08:59 PM

Hopefully he kept up with his training. I haven’t seen any updates on him.

RustShack 11-21-2020 09:13 PM

He’ll be just as much in the conversation next year as he would be if we drafted him this upcoming season instead.

RealSNR 11-21-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15340042)
No one should think he is bad, it's just he is an unknown. Yeah he was hurt and probably couldn't have offered much this year. What I still am not sure of with opting out if he even gets any real-time NFL coaching. With covid does he even get near the team? I pretty much doubt it. So Yasir Durant is now ahead of him and Niang starts out on the same level as any o lineman we may pick in 2021.

Also, tackle being Rankins natural position won't he get a shot there on the right side. Maybe he blew it 2 years ago with his performance don't know.

He participated in offseason zoom installs before opting out. He’s under contract by this organization, so the team can contact him about stuff whenever they damn well please. And when this season is over, he gets the benefit of having a full offseason of NFL strength training, which is important for OL (it was for Fisher) while just starting year one of his rookie deal.

Nobody has any good or legit reason to think opting out will hurt his development as an NFL player. If he doesn’t make it in this league, it won’t be because he opted out.

srvy 11-21-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15340167)
He participated in offseason zoom installs before opting out. He’s under contract by this organization, so the team can contact him about stuff whenever they damn well please. And when this season is over, he gets the benefit of having a full offseason of NFL strength training, which is important for OL (it was for Fisher) while just starting year one of his rookie deal.

Nobody has any good or legit reason to think opting out will hurt his development as an NFL player. If he doesn’t make it in this league, it won’t be because he opted out.

And you know the bolded how?

There is a big difference between contacting him and real in house instruction.

louie aguiar 11-21-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15340167)

He’s a year behind in his nfl career- of course it hurts his development. He may turn out to be a decent player but opting out definitely puts him in a tougher position.

Easy 6 11-21-2020 10:40 PM

He opted out as a rookie, forgive me for not giving two shits what happens to this slacker

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15340173)
And you know the bolded how?

There is a big difference between contacting him and real in house instruction.

Do you understand that he tore a patella tendon in his ****ing hip?

The guy wasn't going to be available this season until probably December at the earliest and since he had ZERO Mini Camp, Rookie Camp, Training Camp and practice, there's almost no chance he sees the 53 and if he does, he's gonna get his ass whipped.

Opting Out gave him the opportunity to heal without pressure, to learn the playbook and techniques without expecting to play when he's nowhere near 100% and it gives the Chiefs Four Full Years Of Control beginning in 2021.

And good ****ing god, people don't forget how to play their position in a year.

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15340177)
He opted out as a rookie, forgive me for not giving two shits what happens to this slacker

The dude is coming off a torn hip tendon, which is why he fell to the bottom of the 3rd round.

If Niang becomes a starter, this will be yet another Veach Steal.

kysirsoze 11-21-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15340174)
He’s a year behind in his nfl career- of course it hurts his development. He may turn out to be a decent player but opting out definitely puts him in a tougher position.

Tougher than what? It delays his contact so for us we lost nothing. Especially since he was unlikely to be a big contributor in year one. He'll basically be a rookie who will be completely healthy unlike he would have been this year. Are you worried about his career earnings or something?

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 15340187)
Tougher than what? It delays his contact so for us we lost nothing. Especially since he was unlikely to be a big contributor in year one. He'll basically be a rookie who will be completely healthy unlike he would have been this year. Are you worried about his career earnings or something?

Niang wasn't called for a single penalty in 2017 and before the hip tear, was projected as a 1st rounder.

The dude had more than 40 scholarship offers so if he doesn't become at least an average NFL starter, it'll be due to injury.

srvy 11-21-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15340178)

The guy wasn't going to be available this season until probably December at the earliest and since he had ZERO Mini Camp, Rookie Camp, Training Camp and practice, there's almost no chance he sees the 53 and if he does, he's gonna get his ass whipped.

Opting Out gave him the opportunity to heal without pressure, to learn the playbook and techniques without expecting to play when he's nowhere near 100% and it gives the Chiefs Four Full Years Of Control beginning in 2021.

I said he probably would have not been available in my post. But as I understand it opt-out is non-involvement with the team.

mlyonsd 11-21-2020 10:58 PM

If he lives up to the hype and protects Pat for the next 8-10 years Veach is a genious.

BossChief 11-21-2020 11:02 PM

If not for the injury, Niang might have been a first rounder. Allowed no sacks in 3 years.

He’s going to be the long term starter at RT and be one of the better ones if his hip is fully healed by next year, which it should. He had surgery a year ago.

RealSNR 11-21-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15340177)

You’re speculating on his reason for opting out because you didn’t get an explanation. Apparently you filled in the gaps with, “He must be a slacker.”

I could have sworn people around here after the Tyreek/Espinal incidents would have learned their lesson about assuming the worst of people without having all the information. I guess I was wrong.

srvy 11-21-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

That is wishful thinking which is why Veach drafted him later. 1st round talent taken in the 3rd. It's no guarantee he will be as he was. It's hoping to get something for next to nothing and I hope it works I am a chiefs fan. Also we don't know if this was something the Chief's front office was happy about the opt-out.

louie aguiar 11-21-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

In order to develop as a football player it helps to actually play football. I could give a shit about his contract. Taking a year off football means that he’s not being coached, he’s not in the meeting rooms or the training rooms or learning the playbook. If he’s injured, what better place to rehab than in an nfl training facility. I hope I’m eating crow this time next year but this certainly doesn’t help his career in any way.

srvy 11-21-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15340214)
In order to develop as a football player it helps to actually play football. I could give a shit about his contract. Taking a year off football means that he’s not being coached, he’s not in the meeting rooms or the training rooms or learning the playbook. If he’s injured, what better place to rehab than in an nfl training facility. I hope I’m eating crow this time next year but this certainly doesn’t help his career in any way.

You just nailed my thoughts on this. I just wasn't able to post it as clearly as you.

kysirsoze 11-22-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15340214)

Well I do give a shit about his contract since it determines if he's playing for the Chiefs or not and for how much. Of course his development has been delayed but it would have been anyway (to a lesser extent, perhaps) due to his injury. Ij ust don't know why we'd want to waste a year of a cheap contract on rehab when the opt out option is available.

crispystl 11-22-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15340060)
Hopefully he kept up with his training. I haven’t seen any updates on him.

I’ve heard him and Yoda have been in the swamp attempting to raise the X-wing since August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 6 11-22-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15340178)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15340182)
The dude is coming off a torn hip tendon, which is why he fell to the bottom of the 3rd round.

If Niang becomes a starter, this will be yet another Veach Steal.

Truth be told I'd forgotten about the injury, so that does change my tune

If Veach and co are good with it, who am I to complain

Chris Meck 11-22-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15340676)
Truth be told I'd forgotten about the injury, so that does change my tune

If Veach and co are good with it, who am I to complain

It's even quite possible that Veach and co. suggested it, given the injury.

gonefishin53 11-22-2020 11:27 AM

Lucas will be a 22 year old rookie at the start of the next training camp with 4 years to play on a very reasonable Chief's contract. A lot of drama queens in here.