ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I want to show you my newest sports card... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=331463)

Jewish Rabbi 06-01-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14998094)
This is currently at $37,700 with 4 days and 19 hours left and the RESERVE HASN'T BEEN MET!!!

1 of 1 Flawless Mahomes/Brady dual auto. FYI, packs of this come in a metal briefcase and retail at $2000+

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...178e1305_z.jpg

I break with Kyle on Badger Breaks. Unreal hit.

Valiant 06-01-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14994856)
Card grading can be a racket IMO. Crack it open and resubmit to another grading company and you will end up with a different grade. Hell, the FBI is investigating a couple of them right now. The average collector would be better served just sticking to raw cards.

Yep. Crazy prices right now. Many people are becoming millionaires.

The market for cards couldn't be any better than it is. We have reached a high in the market and IMO it is the time to sell before it falls again.

Yeah, there is a trick to get 10s with those companies. Most of the eBay sellers use it to get them. A lot of them also run multiple accounts to bid up the price on a card.

SithCeNtZ 06-01-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14995329)
Very much a business. It is no longer a kid's hobby.

I’d disagree a little bit. It’s not a kids hobby if you want the biggest hits Of the biggest stars and one of ones that sell for 50k, sure. But if you collect anyone who isn’t like a top 4 guy in the sport, collecting singles is really nice and not very expensive. I went to my local shop a while ago and in front of me was a kid in a kris Bryant jersey and he had like 5 Bryant jersey cards and autographs. Cost the dad like 80 bucks. I’m sure the kid thinks they are priceless. Heck if you look at Kelce and Hill you can find all sorts of autographs for a reasonable price. The front page of eBay results has a hill #ed to 10 going for 60 bucks buy it now. It’s a great market for people who aren’t whale hunting at 2k a piece boxes that have 8 cards per pack.

Abba-Dabba 06-01-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 14998742)
I’d disagree a little bit. It’s not a kids hobby if you want the biggest hits Of the biggest stars and one of ones that sell for 50k, sure. But if you collect anyone who isn’t like a top 4 guy in the sport, collecting singles is really nice and not very expensive. I went to my local shop a while ago and in front of me was a kid in a kris Bryant jersey and he had like 5 Bryant jersey cards and autographs. Cost the dad like 80 bucks. I’m sure the kid thinks they are priceless. Heck if you look at Kelce and Hill you can find all sorts of autographs for a reasonable price. The front page of eBay results has a hill #ed to 10 going for 60 bucks buy it now. It’s a great market for people who aren’t whale hunting at 2k a piece boxes that have 8 cards per pack.

A 2020 Bowman Hobby box is $300-325 in most places. Jumbo boxes are over $550. 90% of Bowman is junk paper.

A 2020 Topps Hobby Box, which was produced with junk wax print run numbers is over $100. A Jumbo box is well over $200.

They don't have to buy boxes? How many kids do you know that can go into a hobby shop and pay $15-50 per pack?

I'm not even going to get into the troubles with retail and how it takes advantage of kids dollars.

Collecting singles will never grow the hobby. A boy wants a treasure hunt.

Abba-Dabba 06-01-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 14998623)
Yeah, there is a trick to get 10s with those companies. Most of the eBay sellers use it to get them. A lot of them also run multiple accounts to bid up the price on a card.

There are definitely a bunch of scum bags in the hobby.

tatorhog 06-01-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14994856)
Hell, the FBI is investigating a couple of them right now.

Evan Mathis wouldn't be one of those guys, would he?

Abba-Dabba 06-01-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 14999055)

Don't think so.

Involved card grading companies, dealers and auction houses.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/1929959001/

KChiefs1 06-01-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14998094)
This is currently at $37,700 with 4 days and 19 hours left and the RESERVE HASN'T BEEN MET!!!

1 of 1 Flawless Mahomes/Brady dual auto. FYI, packs of this come in a metal briefcase and retail at $2000+

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...178e1305_z.jpg

Beautiful

The GOAT & Tom Brady.

Jewish Rabbi 06-01-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 14999245)
Beautiful

The GOAT & Tom Brady.

The two guys that hit this are best friends. They decided to sell it and split the proceeds. Would hate to lose out on that kind of money on a dice roll.

arrowheadnation 06-01-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 14999055)

He most definitely is. He was called out on it and got extremely defensive. I believe someone found in his feedback history that he had purchased a paper trimmer.

Card trimming is running rampant right now. People are trimming the edges of cards to improve their grades and making hundreds of thousands off of it. Its sickening.

arrowheadnation 06-01-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 14998606)
I break with Kyle on Badger Breaks. Unreal hit.

I haven't done a group break in months due to the ridiculous prices right now, but when I did, it was with Bateson or Laytons.

But like he said earlier, the fact that a standard Bowman box that only guarantees one auto will soon approach $350+ when just last year they were $150 or less at release should tell you something. The sportscard market is on a heater like we've never seen. Basketball has abso-freaking-lutely EXPLODED! I sold a 2012 Prizm complete set that I had priced at $70 on my table at shows for years for $1600 two weeks ago. Seriously, between Prizm Basketball, Mahomes, and Ronald Acuna, a guy who bought deep stashes of a few hundred cards for very little $5-100 (some maybe more) each, could pay off his home and almost retire off the current market. I think I've done close to $11,000 already just since the start of COVID.

DeepPurple 06-01-2020 02:53 PM

One big thing I noticed, the younger athletes seem to not really care or put any effort into their signature or autograph, it's almost like a scribble. I'm sure they sign a million items, but guys like Arnold Palmer, who I have one from '62 looks perfect and looked the same 5 years ago. Cal Ripken signed more autographs than anyone, it was perfect.

These are from 1967 Baltimore Colts camp, I got them all in person when I was 17, everyone of these you can read and this when they were from sweaty jocks working out in summer camp. This was a good day and I got about 10 more that same day such as Bubba Smith, Jimmy Orr, Rick Volk, Lenny Lyles, Bruce Laird and Don Shinnick to name a few. Players had no problem signing, talking to the fans, in fact we stood on the sideline right next to the field. Actually Gino Marchetti had retired and showed in a suit driving a convertible Cadillac Eldorado with the top down. He pulled up in the middle of the field, got out, took off his jacket and grabbed rookie Bubba Smith and starting showing what to do.

Raymond Berry, Don Shula, Johnny Unitas

Bill Curry, Ray Perkins, Gino Marchetti, John Mackey

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...b9&oe=5EFB9297

arrowheadnation 06-01-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14999384)
One big thing I noticed, the younger athletes seem to not really care or put any effort into their signature or autograph, it's almost like a scribble. I'm sure they sign a million items, but guys like Arnold Palmer, who I have one from '62 looks perfect and looked the same 5 years ago. Cal Ripken signed more autographs than anyone, it was perfect.

These are from 1967 Baltimore Colts camp, I got them all in person when I was 17, everyone of these you can read and this when they were from sweaty jocks working out in summer camp. This was a good day and I got about 10 more that same day. Players had no problem signing, talking to the fans, in fact we stood on the sideline right next to the field.

Raymond Berry, Don Shula, Johnny Unitas

Bill Curry, Ray Perkins, Gino Marchetti, John Mackey

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...b9&oe=5EFB9297

Vernand Morency takes offense to this...
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g5UAA...Raw/s-l300.jpg

https://brocouncil.com/images/storie...nd-morency.jpg

DeepPurple 06-01-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14999392)

At least it's not an "X".

tatorhog 06-01-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14999066)
Don't think so.

Involved card grading companies, dealers and auction houses.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/1929959001/

Mathis was tied into PWCC in some capacity. He even made some remarks on net51 (I think that was the site) when his name got drug up there. He certainly trolled the guys there and didn't come across as overly innocent. This all came about around the same time he sold his psa9 Mantle.

tatorhog 06-01-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14999360)
I haven't done a group break in months due to the ridiculous prices right now, but when I did, it was with Bateson or Laytons.

But like he said earlier, the fact that a standard Bowman box that only guarantees one auto will soon approach $350+ when just last year they were $150 or less at release should tell you something. The sportscard market is on a heater like we've never seen. Basketball has abso-freaking-lutely EXPLODED! I sold a 2012 Prizm complete set that I had priced at $70 on my table at shows for years for $1600 two weeks ago. Seriously, between Prizm Basketball, Mahomes, and Ronald Acuna, a guy who bought deep stashes of a few hundred cards for very little $5-100 (some maybe more) each, could pay off his home and almost retire off the current market. I think I've done close to $11,000 already just since the start of COVID.

I sold an 80% complete set of 88 fleer basketball in mostly psa9, with a few 10s (Jabbar, etc) for an amount I kind of felt bad about a couple years ago. The guy just offered the amount. Now? Geez, the Pippen, Jordan, and Rodman are sky high. Not to mention the Miller, Stockton, the AS cards as the end, and the random HOFers sprinkled in. I felt kind of guilty then, but it turns out I lost my butt. lol

58-4ever 06-01-2020 03:45 PM

The card market is NUTS.... a pretty average Mahomes rookie can garner 500 bones if it's a 10...

KChiefs1 06-01-2020 03:55 PM

National Treasures are amazing. The Duo, Trio & Quads are great ideas too.

58-4ever 06-01-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14994317)
I've got some 90's cards in the safe that I haven't looked at in years. They used to be cool but not sure what they'd be worth now. Where do you guys look up the value of old cards these days?

What sport? A lot of the 80s and 90s cards (with very few exceptions) are junk

SithCeNtZ 06-01-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14998999)
A 2020 Bowman Hobby box is $300-325 in most places. Jumbo boxes are over $550. 90% of Bowman is junk paper.

A 2020 Topps Hobby Box, which was produced with junk wax print run numbers is over $100. A Jumbo box is well over $200.

They don't have to buy boxes? How many kids do you know that can go into a hobby shop and pay $15-50 per pack?

I'm not even going to get into the troubles with retail and how it takes advantage of kids dollars.

Collecting singles will never grow the hobby. A boy wants a treasure hunt.

The bowman thing to me is crazy. I’ve watched so many breaks on YouTube and they get 1 no name autograph of a guy who will never play in the majors and some common rookies. I have no idea what’s driving the price on that. Frankly even some of the high end stuff I’m left scratching my head at how anyone makes money without being really lucky. I guess one great card balances out the bunch of expensive crappy boxes that don’t have anything.

CarlosCarson27 06-01-2020 05:07 PM

I like cards to have real life action shots. I really don't care for cards with players cut out- into disco ball backgrounds.
Now , I don't hate all of them. Some are done with balance. But prism and optic make it too passe. /overkill.

Jewish Rabbi 06-01-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 14999644)
The bowman thing to me is crazy. I’ve watched so many breaks on YouTube and they get 1 no name autograph of a guy who will never play in the majors and some common rookies. I have no idea what’s driving the price on that. Frankly even some of the high end stuff I’m left scratching my head at how anyone makes money without being really lucky. I guess one great card balances out the bunch of expensive crappy boxes that don’t have anything.

Everyone thinks Jasson can become the next Trout.

lewdog 06-01-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 14999558)
What sport? A lot of the 80s and 90s cards (with very few exceptions) are junk

Mix of football, basketball and baseball.

Any athletes in particular garnering attention from the 90’s currently?

KChiefs1 06-01-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14999779)
Mix of football, basketball and baseball.

Any athletes in particular garnering attention from the 90’s currently?

McGwire & Sosa are hot.

BigRedChief 06-02-2020 04:59 AM

I have some more valuable memorabilia but this is my favorite

Albert Pujols - Game used jersey
Bob - Gibson - Game used jersey
Rogers Hornsby - Game used bat
Stan "The Man" Musial - Game used bat
Ozzie Smith - Game used bat
Red Schoendienst - Game used jersey

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb...ue&size_mode=5

Molitoth 06-02-2020 06:19 AM

I started to check some prices on Ebay a bit this morning and this is my conclusion:

The Football cards going for big dollar are the Autographed, Jersey, and Rookie cards (Graded at a 10).

Even super rare/limited print cards that used to be worth Hundreds of dollars in the 1990's are only being listed for like $10-$20 now.

If the card isn't authenticated at a grade of 10, the value becomes somewhat irrelevant.

So I looked into grading.... and it costs $20-$50 per card? I mean, I get it... but ouch.

I doubt mine would come back at a grade 10.

https://i.ibb.co/sWYWjky/IMG-20200602-065603032.jpg

KChiefs1 06-02-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 15000668)
I started to check some prices on Ebay a bit this morning and this is my conclusion:

The Football cards going for big dollar are the Autographed, Jersey, and Rookie cards (Graded at a 10).

Even super rare/limited print cards that used to be worth Hundreds of dollars in the 1990's are only being listed for like $10-$20 now.

If the card isn't authenticated at a grade of 10, the value becomes somewhat irrelevant.

So I looked into grading.... and it costs $20-$50 per card? I mean, I get it... but ouch.

I doubt mine would come back at a grade 10.

https://i.ibb.co/sWYWjky/IMG-20200602-065603032.jpg

I’ve sent in cards & I’m always disappointed in the grade.

58-4ever 06-02-2020 08:31 AM

a lot of the auto market is hilarious. Twenty different kinds of autos from the same player, numbered /25 /99 or /50... which makes one believe that it is way more rare than it is.

TambaBerry 06-02-2020 12:23 PM

I just hit a charlie scott suns jersey auto'd if any of you old guys know who that is.

tatorhog 06-02-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15000683)
I’ve sent in cards & I’m always disappointed in the grade.

When I renewed my psa account, I had a remarkable difference in grading on the free voucher when I went platinum over gold.

Abba-Dabba 06-03-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 14999433)
Mathis was tied into PWCC in some capacity. He even made some remarks on net51 (I think that was the site) when his name got drug up there. He certainly trolled the guys there and didn't come across as overly innocent. This all came about around the same time he sold his psa9 Mantle.

Scum bags all over the hobby.

Maybe it is me but every time I meet some hobby shop owner, I always reminded of some slimy used car salesman.

Abba-Dabba 06-03-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 14999644)

All speculative bullshit. I hate it.

It's not even worth the entry price. But I've felt that way on Bowman for years and it still goes up.

lewdog 06-03-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15003623)
Scum bags all over the hobby.

Maybe it is me but every time I meet some hobby shop owner, I always reminded of some slimy used car salesman.

Don’t you talk about Burt like that!!!

Abba-Dabba 06-03-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15003659)
Don’t you talk about Burt like that!!!

What does Smokey and the Bandit have to do with any of this?

KChiefs1 06-04-2020 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15001432)
When I renewed my psa account, I had a remarkable difference in grading on the free voucher when I went platinum over gold.

I’ve watched stuff like this but does it really matter?

https://youtu.be/c4Qzuo4PjYs

Can you go over the cost of both? I’ve thought about the platinum.

tatorhog 06-04-2020 09:50 AM

If anybody is buying, Id sell the 86 fleer basketball set I've been working on. straight psa9, the big cards still missing are Jordan, Wilkins, checklist, and Steve Johnson. its just under 50% and I have most of the tough commons along with all of the other star cards.

Just throwing it out there.

tatorhog 06-04-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15004934)
I’ve watched stuff like this but does it really matter?

https://youtu.be/c4Qzuo4PjYs

Can you go over the cost of both? I’ve thought about the platinum.

platinum is quite a bit higher, but it gives you 15 vouchers vs the 6 you otherwise would get. I had heard from a friend that platinum is the way to go if you are wanting better grades up front. He wasn't wrong.

From that submission, here are 4 cards I submitted for example.

I sent in an old Chiefs card, a 64 topps Smokey Stover. Needed it for a registry set and didn't want to pay $200 for a common. So I had one I thought would get psa7, but it came back 8.

I submitted (2) 2000 Topps Chrome john Abraham rookies. Again, another registry set need. I think I gave maybe 5 bucks per card. I subbed them both, thinking both would be 9. Got a 9 and a 10. sold the 9 for way too little apparently. It went within 45 minutes of listing on ebay.

I needed to add one other card to finish the submission so I added an 89 score Barry Sanders. it came back 10. I had subbed other 89 scores in the past and never got a 10. this time I did, go figure.

In any bulk submission or 6 card voucher, I never had the ceiling I did with the platinum submission. Maybe I just wised up and finally submitted cards that were solid? Who knows. I've got a bunch of mid-80s rookies that I would like to grade and would justify the signup costs. Thinking about doing it again to see if lightning strikes again.

Abba-Dabba 06-04-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005271)
If anybody is buying, Id sell the 86 fleer basketball set I've been working on. straight psa9, the big cards still missing are Jordan, Wilkins, checklist, and Steve Johnson. its just under 50% and I have most of the tough commons along with all of the other star cards.

Just throwing it out there.

But does it have the Johnny Moore?

;)

Abba-Dabba 06-04-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005286)
platinum is quite a bit higher, but it gives you 15 vouchers vs the 6 you otherwise would get. I had heard from a friend that platinum is the way to go if you are wanting better grades up front. He wasn't wrong.

I sent in an old Chiefs card, a 64 topps Smokey Stover. Needed it for a registry set and didn't want to pay $200 for a common. So I had one I thought would get psa7, but it came back 8.

I submitted (2) 2000 Topps Chrome john Abraham rookies. Again, another registry set need. I think I gave maybe 5 bucks per card. I subbed them both, thinking both would be 9. Got a 9 and a 10. sold the 9 for way too little apparently. It went within 45 minutes of listing on ebay.

I needed to add one other card to finish the submission so I added an 89 score Barry Sanders. it came back 10. I had subbed other 89 scores in the past and never got a 10. this time I did, go figure.

In any bulk submission or 6 card voucher, I never had the ceiling I did with the platinum submission. Maybe I just wised up and finally submitted cards that were solid? Who knows. I've got a bunch of mid-80s rookies that I would like to grade and would justify the signup costs. Thinking about doing it again to see if lightning strikes again.

Why not try out SGC? I've seen a lot of people moving over to SGC over PSA lately. Their slabs sure do look and feel better than PSA. Their grading from what I have run across has always been spot on.

tatorhog 06-04-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15005650)
But does it have the Johnny Moore?

;)

The Jeff Malone is a much harder card, in my opinion. But yes, Moore is included. lol

tatorhog 06-04-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15005661)
Why not try out SGC? I've seen a lot of people moving over to SGC over PSA lately. Their slabs sure do look and feel better than PSA. Their grading from what I have run across has always been spot on.

I really like sgc for older cards. I don't know why, but I've always like them in that regard. I really haven't looked at them seriously to submit to. I could be waaay off here, but it just seems like high grade psa brings more than high grade sgc of the same card.

For stuff in my collection, I don't really care who the grader is. Mainly its about preserving the card to be honest. But when it comes to flipping some, I've had better results with psa than other graders.

Abba-Dabba 06-04-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005758)
The Jeff Malone is a much harder card, in my opinion. But yes, Moore is included. lol

Yes, the early days of the SSP.

But Jordan came up 2-4 times per box though.

Abba-Dabba 06-04-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005766)
I really like sgc for older cards. I don't know why, but I've always like them in that regard. I really haven't looked at them seriously to submit to. I could be waaay off here, but it just seems like high grade psa brings more than high grade sgc of the same card.

For stuff in my collection, I don't really care who the grader is. Mainly its about preserving the card to be honest. But when it comes to flipping some, I've had better results with psa than other graders.

Yep, PSA does sell better. Beckett even sell better.

Every time I look at a card SGC graded I can find a way to agree with the grade it was given. PSA and Beckett I can't say the same. At least Beckett has sub grades, which I do like.

My personal collection I really could care less about graded cards. I don't trust them very much. Send a card in to PSA it will come back one grade crack it open and send it in to Beckett and it will come back another grade, send it in to SGC and I'm sure the same will happen. It all just feel like some racket.

Have you ever thought about buying unsealed slabs and making your own labels if you are wanting to just preserve?

tatorhog 06-04-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15005787)

Have you ever thought about buying unsealed slabs and making your own labels if you are wanting to just preserve?

Nah, I'm pretty partial to just using Card Saver I for everything. They are inexpensive, cards do not slip out at all, and they fit perfectly into bcw brand boxes.

I do have a couple custom PSA slabs, but I didn't submit them. One is a backless 1993 finest refractor, which is one my favorite cards. It almost looks embossed (obviously its not) on the reverse and has the refractor shine as well. I have no idea what the manufacturing process is for refractors, but if this is legit, it looks like the front is printed, then adhered to the back. If that's the case, then this looks like a cut copy of the front only, prior to having a back glued to it. Its not expensive, its just unique and I thought it was cool. Most of my personal collection is stuff I simply like, vs what is highly desirable, etc.

Abba-Dabba 06-04-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005797)
Nah, I'm pretty partial to just using Card Saver I for everything. They are inexpensive, cards do not slip out at all, and they fit perfectly into bcw brand boxes.

I do have a couple custom PSA slabs, but I didn't submit them. One is a backless 1993 finest refractor, which is one my favorite cards. It almost looks embossed (obviously its not) on the reverse and has the refractor shine as well. I have no idea what the manufacturing process is for refractors, but if this is legit, it looks like the front is printed, then adhered to the back. If that's the case, then this looks like a cut copy of the front only, prior to having a back glued to it. Its not expensive, its just unique and I thought it was cool. Most of my personal collection is stuff I simply like, vs what is highly desirable, etc.

Never been a big fan of Card Saver's. If I had to choose I would definitely choose I over II though. But I somehow always have a box of 200 on hand. Personally I like a top loaders that are team bagged. Don't care for the one touch jiggle.

What player is the missing back?

tatorhog 06-04-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15005908)
Never been a big fan of Card Saver's. If I had to choose I would definitely choose I over II though. But I somehow always have a box of 200 on hand. Personally I like a top loaders that are team bagged. Don't care for the one touch jiggle.

I gave up on top loaders a while ago. Had a card slip out when one was dropped and it ended up singing it up a little. Inexpensive whoops, but lesson learned for me. Card savers have just been my go-to since.

The 93 refractor is Eckersly. I’ll post some pics somewhere and link them sometime.

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 06:51 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...cfddfd70.plist

tatorhog 06-05-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15005908)

https://i.imgur.com/Lyi7ufS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vdR69b9.jpg

arrowheadnation 06-05-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15006950)

This is so weird. I've never seen a green flip in a PSA holder. It's definitely from the earlier days of PSA. As for that "card"....someone just separated the front half of the card (the chrome part) with the back half of the card (the paper part)...you can still see the left over adhesive on his butt. Strange, I don't think they would ever put something like this in a slab today.

arrowheadnation 06-05-2020 08:02 AM

So I already have a pretty massive come-up in just a couple weeks time. I paid $850 for my card in the OP. The one on ebay sold for $1750!

tatorhog 06-05-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15006963)
This is so weird. I've never seen a green flip in a PSA holder. It's definitely from the earlier days of PSA. As for that "card"....someone just separated the front half of the card (the chrome part) with the back half of the card (the paper part)...you can still see the left over adhesive on his butt. Strange, I don't think they would ever put something like this in a slab today.

I think the flip just indicates that it was submitted to be encapsulated. There is no auth grade or anything other than it just being entombed in a case. Its not expensive and I didn't pay much anyway. I just thought it was unique and cool.

tatorhog 06-05-2020 08:38 AM

Here are a few Chiefs rookies from my PC. These are just some of my favorite ones. I didn't get into any of my DT cards, or other Chiefs rookies.

1960 Stram

1960 Haynes

1960 Burford

1961 Robinson

1963 Dawson

1964 Buchanan

1964 Bell

1966 Taylor

1997 Gonzalez

2004 Allen

2017 Mahomes

Ebolapox 06-05-2020 09:06 AM

weird flex coming up, and working on getting the pics uploaded, but...

yeah. back in 2008 I went a bit nuts (I didn't have young kids like I do now) on glenn dorsey rookie cards. I have 243 different rookie cards (including parallels, 1/1s, printing plates, 44 autos (17 jersey/patch/football autos), 102 jersey/patch/football cards, etc). At one point I had a few more rare cards but I luckily sold them off a while ago when they had any value.

I'm obviously sad I went all in at the wrong time on the wrong player, I'd be sitting on a fortune if I'd not had a very small kid in 2017 and responsibilities lol

tatorhog 06-05-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 15007058)
weird flex coming up, and working on getting the pics uploaded, but...

yeah. back in 2008 I went a bit nuts (I didn't have young kids like I do now) on glenn dorsey rookie cards. I have 243 different rookie cards (including parallels, 1/1s, printing plates, 44 autos (17 jersey/patch/football autos), 102 jersey/patch/football cards, etc). At one point I had a few more rare cards but I luckily sold them off a while ago when they had any value.

I'm obviously sad I went all in at the wrong time on the wrong player, I'd be sitting on a fortune if I'd not had a very small kid in 2017 and responsibilities lol

Dontari Poe was that guy for me. His cards were never expensive and it was a fun chase. I couldn't tell you how many I have, but I focused on a few runs and tried to get as many of a limited print as I could. lol

so there was a /49 card and I probably have 19 of them. There is another /5 and I have 3 of them. lol

Ebolapox 06-05-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15007086)
Dontari Poe was that guy for me. His cards were never expensive and it was a fun chase. I couldn't tell you how many I have, but I focused on a few runs and tried to get as many of a limited print as I could. lol

so there was a /49 card and I probably have 19 of them. There is another /5 and I have 3 of them. lol

haha, nice. oh yeah, that's not even including my favorite three cards of his-- I have half the print run of these https://img.comc.com/i/Football/2008...ze=biggerthumb

they were all out of 6, but it's the name plate from his actual jersey so they're all different (D, O, R... so on). those were quite pricey back in the day but they're still cool

Ebolapox 06-05-2020 09:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few of the pics--it's a royal pain to get my phone to actually email every picture to myself, so I'll upload the rest if anybody desparately has to see lmao

flinchfree 06-05-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15006910)

Beautiful card.:thumb:

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 04:29 PM

I want to show you my newest sports card...

Any Daddy Warbucks here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324080577084

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303499594055

Patrick’s signature has morphed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324087205515

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15006965)
So I already have a pretty massive come-up in just a couple weeks time. I paid $850 for my card in the OP. The one on ebay sold for $1750!

Sell! Sell! Sell!
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ADgfsbHcS62Jy/giphy.gif

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14981914)
The sports card market is absolutely booming right now. I sold off enough of my other stuff to buy this. There are only 10 of them. It is indescribably beautiful.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...273b7eb6_z.jpg

Need to add Montana to this.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3ba84312d1.jpg

BigRedChief 06-05-2020 04:48 PM

I had a Topps Ken Griffey Jr. card 2nd year card. Book was like $2 or something like that. It was put in a set of cards they gave the troops in Desert storm.With a desert storm stamp in gold leaf. Since most of the cards never made it back to the states, they were valuable. I think it was worth $450 or so at the time.

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15008158)
I had a Topps Ken Griffey Jr. card 2nd year card. Book was like $2 or something like that. It was put in a set of cards they gave the troops in Desert storm.With a desert storm stamp in gold leaf. Since most of the cards never made it back to the states, they were valuable. I think it was worth $450 or so at the time.

I remember those cards.

I’m sure hardly any of them survived that & if they did, they weren’t in great condition.

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15005286)

You can even submit wax packs to have graded? What are they grading? How the pack is wrapped? Weird

All this talk has got me back into that collector feeling again. It feels good too. I loved this hobby when I was younger.

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15006965)

If I’m doing this right that card’s trajectory is off the charts.

4/4: $810
4/7: $1075
5/4: $1300
5/19: $850
6/4: $1750

You got a helluva deal. You should have paid $1500 for it. Congratulations!

tatorhog 06-05-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15008293)
I remember those cards.

I’m sure hardly any of them survived that & if they did, they weren’t in great condition.

You should see what the Chipper Jones will bring in high grade.

tatorhog 06-05-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15008434)
You can even submit wax packs to have graded? What are they grading? How the pack is wrapped? Weird

All this talk has got me back into that collector feeling again. It feels good too. I loved this hobby when I was younger.

Yep, graded packs and even tickets are a big deal.

ghak99 06-05-2020 09:32 PM

I browsed through a few cards in the first box I opened in the closet. Ebay prices are all over the place. An old Jordan Skylights card with the same grades are priced from $100 to $1,000. Topps refractor same grades priced from $1,500 to $25k.

Are people just throwing shit at the wall and hoping someone buys on the spike?

KChiefs1 06-05-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15008659)
Yep, graded packs and even tickets are a big deal.

How do you grade a pack????

tatorhog 06-06-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15008813)
How do you grade a pack????

I haven’t submitted one not have I really been interested in them. Grading is same as a card. They put a numerical grade on it for condition, which also includes (what I assume is) a guarantee of integrity against having been searched and resealed.

Some graded packs go for serious cheddar.

KChiefs1 06-06-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15009004)
I haven’t submitted one not have I really been interested in them. Grading is same as a card. They put a numerical grade on it for condition, which also includes (what I assume is) a guarantee of integrity against having been searched and resealed.

I’m not interested in them either but it’s interesting they judge a pack by its appearance. I could careless about a pack’s look. I can see verifying it though.

Found another crazy card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153921950891

KChiefs1 06-07-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14983951)
Just to give you all an idea of how ridiculous Mahomes stuff is right now. This card sold on April 25 on ebay for $86,000

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KOIAA...DmR/s-l400.jpg

There are some $100K prices on eBay too.

KChiefs1 06-07-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 14997733)
30 for 30 on McGwire coming out in a few weeks.

I’m wondering how that effects prices.

https://youtu.be/3hLlX6AM_Qs

Loved this movie that was directed by Billy Crystal. Chicks love the long ball. It has a tie in with McGwire/Sosa.

61:
https://youtu.be/pLW5ftkOt5Q

crispystl 06-07-2020 05:27 PM

Is there any way this seller is legit?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jens_stuff2...1&_ipg=&_from=

Halfcan 06-07-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15010448)
I’m wondering how that effects prices.

https://youtu.be/3hLlX6AM_Qs

Loved this movie that was directed by Billy Crystal. Chicks love the long ball. It has a tie in with McGwire/Sosa.

61:
https://youtu.be/pLW5ftkOt5Q

I have a Mark McGwire, Topps Olympic Rookie Card- Mint Condition for sale- $475.00

KChiefs1 06-07-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15011557)
I have a Mark McGwire, Topps Olympic Rookie Card- Mint Condition for sale- $475.00

Wanna buy this card?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303499594055

arrowheadnation 06-07-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 15011522)
Is there any way this seller is legit?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jens_stuff2...1&_ipg=&_from=

Not a single one of those autographed cards is legit. Stay far away.

crispystl 06-08-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15012041)
Not a single one of those autographed cards is legit. Stay far away.

I didn’t think so, but I wonder how they get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1 06-08-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15009004)

I guess I still don’t understand how a pack of cards could be considered gem mint unless they consider every card to be a gem mint that are in the pack.

tatorhog 06-08-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15012641)
I guess I still don’t understand how a pack of cards could be considered gem mint unless they consider every card to be a gem mint that are in the pack.

For a wax pack, they look at the seal on the back, the tightness of the wrapper itself, etc...I don't know all the criteria that goes into it, but its just an evaluation of the condition of the pack of cards itself.

From the psa site itself

PSA authenticates both wax and cello packs but does not authenticate Tallboy or Rack Packs.
A series of PSA graders review your packs for authenticity and seal. If genuine and unopened, PSA looks for evidence of resealing, repairing and alterations.
If your packs pass these two steps, PSA grades the condition of each pack on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best. Wear to corners and edges of the wrapper, or staining and toning of the wrapper, will contribute to the grade.
After grading, PSA encapsulates each pack in its own extra thick, tamper-evident case. A label within the case displays the pack's pertinent information and unique certification number.

KChiefs1 06-08-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatorhog (Post 15012690)
For a wax pack, they look at the seal on the back, the tightness of the wrapper itself, etc...I don't know all the criteria that goes into it, but its just an evaluation of the condition of the pack of cards itself.

From the psa site itself

PSA authenticates both wax and cello packs but does not authenticate Tallboy or Rack Packs.
A series of PSA graders review your packs for authenticity and seal. If genuine and unopened, PSA looks for evidence of resealing, repairing and alterations.
If your packs pass these two steps, PSA grades the condition of each pack on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best. Wear to corners and edges of the wrapper, or staining and toning of the wrapper, will contribute to the grade.
After grading, PSA encapsulates each pack in its own extra thick, tamper-evident case. A label within the case displays the pack's pertinent information and unique certification number.

WOW.

Thanks for finding this.