ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343207)

Direckshun 03-29-2022 08:38 AM

6 years also gives us a ton of cap flexibility.

O.city 03-29-2022 08:39 AM

Have you guys looked around at replacing your left tackle?

It’s early first rounders

Pay him and move on

htismaqe 03-29-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221728)
Have you guys looked around at replacing your left tackle?

It’s early first rounders

Pay him and move on

Just look at last year's draft. We spent a couple of months deep-diving the tackle sin that draft and it turns out the only guys that were really good went way before we picked. We made the right move.

O.city 03-29-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16221741)
Just look at last year's draft. We spent a couple of months deep-diving the tackle sin that draft and it turns out the only guys that were really good went way before we picked. We made the right move.

LT's (really good ones, which is what you'd want if you're not keeping Orlando) go in the top 10. Always.

He's not Willie Roaf so some people don't like him. I don't know. Whatever.

Sadly for us, it's usually the same with Pass Rushers.

duncan_idaho 03-29-2022 08:53 AM

Again, just since it got lost on the first page of the thread:

If the deal is 6/$145, there is NO WAY he's seeing the almost-certainly huge dollar figure on the last year of the deal. So that AAV of $24M+ is inflated.

The actual deal would be more like a 5/110 or something in that range (maybe with a guaranteed salary in year 6 that serves as a further extension of a signing bonus or something like that).

O.city 03-29-2022 08:53 AM

This definitely feels alot like last year with regards to LT and such.

We talk all offseason about the draft and they trade for someone.

I think they trade for a pass rusher. It makes to much sense.

htismaqe 03-29-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16221766)

If the deal is 6/$145, there is NO WAY he's seeing the almost-certainly huge dollar figure on the last year of the deal. So that AAV of $24M+ is inflated.

The actual deal would be more like a 5/110 or something in that range (maybe with a guaranteed salary in year 6 that serves as a further extension of a signing bonus or something like that).

Yep.

smithandrew051 03-29-2022 09:16 AM

Is his trade value higher now or last offseason?

I would think now. He proved to still be a great run blocker and at least a competent pass protector in another scheme. Pro Bowls are dumb, but he has another one of those as well.

Depending on comp, I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him to get a younger LT with cheap control. Very risky strategy though. The comp would have to be really good.

O.city 03-29-2022 09:26 AM

Where is this younger cheaper LT coming from?

htismaqe 03-29-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221767)
This definitely feels alot like last year with regards to LT and such.

We talk all offseason about the draft and they trade for someone.

I think they trade for a pass rusher. It makes to much sense.

After the Frank Clark deal, I gotta think they're not keen on doing that again.

O.city 03-29-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16221869)
After the Frank Clark deal, I gotta think they're not keen on doing that again.

They're just so stuck at the end of the first. I like some of the rushers that will be there, but they may see it as a similar situation to LT last year.

Rasputin 03-29-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221745)
LT's (really good ones, which is what you'd want if you're not keeping Orlando) go in the top 10. Always.

He may not be Willie Roaf but he's about as damn close as you can get compared to what else is out there I've seen difference WR was much better at pass blocking but Orlando is still a mauler in the run game. If Any could conceive the notion too run when we need too our passing game would be better and take pressure off our quarterback and maybe he won't feel the need to do so much on every play?

The Franchise 03-29-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221870)
They're just so stuck at the end of the first. I like some of the rushers that will be there, but they may see it as a similar situation to LT last year.

The difference is that there seems to be a good amount of DEs that are available in the top 3 rounds this year. Last year...the OTs were all 1st rounders and then shit.

-King- 03-29-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221745)

Slater went at 13 and Darrisaw went at 23. And only 1 tackle went in the top 10. And going back the previous few years, there actually aren't that many tackles taken in the top 10. Seems like the sweet spot has been the 10-20 range for them.

htismaqe 03-29-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16221876)
Slater went at 13 and Darrisaw went at 23. And only 1 tackle went in the top 10. And going back the previous few years, there actually aren't that many tackles taken in the top 10. Seems like the sweet spot has been the 10-20 range for them.

Yeah.

But the problem as you get deeper in last year's draft the more you get into question marks. Darrisaw got hurt and didn't actually even play until like week 5. He did well down the stretch but if you're trading away Brown, you need a guy that can go right away. Those guys just aren't easy to find outside the top 15 or so. It's not impossible but it seems like 1 step forward 2 steps back to get rid of OBJ at this point.

The Franchise 03-29-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16221881)
Yeah.

But the problem as you get deeper in last year's draft the more you get into question marks. Darrisaw got hurt and didn't actually even play until like week 5. He did well down the stretch but if you're trading away Brown, you need a guy that can go right away. Those guys just aren't easy to find outside the top 15 or so. It's not impossible but it seems like 1 step forward 2 steps back to get rid of OBJ at this point.

And the other two, I believe, were Jenkins (CHI) who had back issues and Sam Cosmi (WAS) who was athletic but pretty light for the position.

The Franchise 03-29-2022 09:38 AM

Oh and Eichenberg who was basically a RT.

And Walker Little who hadn't played football in over a year.

The Chiefs options at LT in the draft were basically nothing. Especially for a team with championship aspirations and a $500 million dollar QB.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16221325)
I'll play along for fun.

Trade Brown for a mid 2nd.

Move Thuney to LT like against the Bengals in the regular season. Allegretti at LG. Creed and Trey. And then draft a RT.

I don't think this is remotely realistic but, hey, we're spitballing, right?

If Thuney could play LT competently as he did in that game and not immediately demand LT money, I think this would be the obvious choice.

Thuney was destroyed the first drive of the 2nd half in that game. He's not a LT, and I know we are spitballing, but that would be a disaster.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16221326)
I guess people didn't pay attention to Patrick bailing out running to the right sideline then throwing it away all the time. Brown cant handle speed rushers and he is going to face even more this year. If we would run the ball a little more and brown would trim down some he might become great. I just don't trust throwing money at him and expect him to not get fatter.

When Patrick quit dropping back 12 yards, Brown was fine. He is a top 1/3 LT.

BigRedChief 03-29-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 16221715)
Slightly above average would indicate he’s easily replaceable.

okay, tell us how. What draft picks, FA money and or trades do you make for X player to replace him?

O.city 03-29-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16221876)

So top 15 ish. My bad. Way off.

Good luck trading to get up there and get one.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 16221602)
Sorry, Fisher was an all around better LT. With Brown, you're banking that he can develop into something better than what Fish was. But before Fish got injured, he was the better LT of the two IMO.

Fisher wasn't at age 25...and definitely isn't after an achilles repair in his Mid 30's...

ChiefBlueCFC 03-29-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16221766)

The way Veach has been structuring contracts, I could absolutely see this. They have shown the tendency to give themselves flexibility with the contracts via signing bonuses and what not. So, I could see that cap number being high in the last year, but it being a restructurable signing bonus or someone other mechanism is definitely in play, as you mention.

ChiefBlueCFC 03-29-2022 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16221922)
Fisher wasn't at age 25...and definitely isn't after an achilles repair in his Mid 30's...

He just turned 31 in January. So, not mid 30s quite yet but definitely some wear and tear going on

splatbass 03-29-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16221326)
I guess people didn't pay attention to Patrick bailing out running to the right sideline then throwing it away all the time. Brown cant handle speed rushers and he is going to face even more this year. If we would run the ball a little more and brown would trim down some he might become great. I just don't trust throwing money at him and expect him to not get fatter.

This happened early in the year not because of Brown but because of Mahomes. Brown was pushing rushers back and behind, as a LT is supposed to do, but Mahomes would move back in the pocket right into where Brown was pushing the rusher. Instead of moving back, then having to move outside Mahomes needed to move sideways from the beginning, or forward, which is what he did later in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigRedChief 03-29-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16221870)

Staying there gets us an edge rusher for 5 years on the rookie contract. That matters a lot more than 2-3 years ago.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-29-2022 11:18 AM

He is cheaper now than any other future option...

Yes.

dlphg9 03-29-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 16222226)
This happened early in the year not because of Brown but because of Mahomes. Brown was pushing rushers back and behind, as a LT is supposed to do, but Mahomes would move back in the pocket right into where Brown was pushing the rusher. Instead of moving back, then having to move outside Mahomes needed to move sideways from the beginning, or forward, which is what he did later in the year.

This place is so ignorant when it comes to offensive line play it's maddening. No one can ever come up with a rebuttal to this point and just wanna say he is average and that Fisher is better than him, because Fisher allowed him to improvise. It's not true.

Patrick was terrible with his pocket presence early in the season and dating back to last year. It's because the interior sucked and he was running for his life. That's no longer the case and he seemed to have gotten rid of the happy feet.

poolboy 03-29-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 16221562)
I voted yes because hard to find an elite LT but he is't quite elite hoping he can be though. If we were more of a run team I'd say hell yeah but his foot work in pass blocking is atrocious and that's where we miss Eric Fisher. Eric Fisher wasn't as big but had great foot work that made him a better pass blocker. around the corner

It be nice not to have to worry about finding a LTotf.

Hoping he will be elite or he is an ascending LT is no reason to pay him him top 5 money. His feet and base are terrible in pass pro and its not good enough if all he can do is push the rusher around the edge

splatbass 03-29-2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolboy (Post 16223014)
Hoping he will be elite or he is an ascending LT is no reason to pay him him top 5 money. His feet and base are terrible in pass pro and its not good enough if all he can do is push the rusher around the edge

Pushing the rusher back and around is exactly what a LT is supposed to do.

poolboy 03-29-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 16223016)
Pushing the rusher back and around is exactly what a LT is supposed to do.

Well then his replacement should be easy to find.

Rausch 03-29-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 16222234)
He is cheaper now than any other future option...

Yes.

That's not true...

BlackOp 03-29-2022 04:01 PM

KC should squat on Brown for another year...that's a lot of long-term dough for potential.

They can always tag him again in a worst case scenario...I'd hedge on this one.

Rausch 03-29-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolboy (Post 16223014)

He's very good and he should be paid as such.

He's not the best in the NFL.

Hill was the best in the NFL.

I'm very curious to hear the argument for why a top 10 LT is worth no 1 money but the most dangerous WR in the NFL isn't worth no 1 money...

Rausch 03-29-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16223025)
KC should squat on Brown for another year...that's a lot of long-term dough for potential.

They can always tag him again in a worst case scenario...I'd hedge on this one.

I can't think of a situation where a player was tagged twice and signed long term with the same team...

BlackOp 03-29-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16223029)
I can't think of a situation where a player was tagged twice and signed long term with the same team...

Well..the scenario is better than having a $140 mil tied up in an average LT.

I'd wait and see how the season plays out...it may cost KC some extra contract money but it's better than getting suck in a Clark type of scenario.

Obviously, the Chiefs are thinking along these lines as they could have already signed him and saved some dough.

Rausch 03-29-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16223041)
Well..the scenario is better than having a $140 mil tied up in an average LT.

I wait to see how the season plays out...it may cost KC some extra contract money but it's better than getting suck in a Clark type of scenario.

I like Brown, I do. I think he's good and I want him here long term.

But if the choice is mine we have Hill and Brown walks. It's that simple. We draft a LT...

BlackOp 03-29-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16223044)

But if the choice is mine we have Hill and Brown walks. It's that simple. We draft a LT...

But then there is the optics of having just traded a first for Brown...

I dont think the Chiefs were as dependent on Hill as many think...for every drive that he made a splash play on...they could have just as easily driven down the field and scored.

He was awesome to watch...but KC scored 0 points in the second half of the ACFCG. By the way people are carrying on...you would think that would have been impossible... having someone with his talent on your team.

I think the draft capital is going to play out big in the future...just right now, it hasn't happened...so all people have to gauge is the loss of Hill.

Wisconsin_Chief 03-29-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16223028)

I'm very curious to hear the argument for why a top 10 LT is worth no 1 money but the most dangerous WR in the NFL isn't worth no 1 money...

This hits the nail on the head.

I have no problem with Brown, he is a pretty good LT. However, if they traded Hill with the intention of giving Brown this kind of contract, that's the issue for me. I just can't see how losing a generational WR is worth keeping a top 10 left tackle.

Chief Pagan 03-29-2022 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16223051)
But then there is the optics of having just traded a first for Brown...

The total compensation was not a first.

KCJake 03-29-2022 04:35 PM

It seems like way too much. Honestly what is this guy. An average to above average left tackle??? At best. Elite, no way. But like some people have said, what's the alternative

poolboy 03-29-2022 04:46 PM

Lets face it, our starting tackles are average or below
I think that is why the AFC West is loading up on superstar pass rushers
They know this and they think they can make Pat see ghosts

BlackOp 03-29-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16223075)
The total compensation was not a first.

True...and it worked out amazing. Creed was worth the pick they gave for Brown....it was the Creed selection tight?..I'll have to check.

I think they'll push it forward another year...that's the safe play.

suzzer99 03-29-2022 04:55 PM

I don't think Hill was even the best in the NFL last year when you factor in the drops, which just killed us in some games. But I agree he was a lot closer than Brown.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-29-2022 04:59 PM

In general, this is why I'm opposed to trading for the right to pay someone. You are pot committed to the next contract, and it generally leads to a significant overpay, which costs the acquiring team both valuable draft capital and cap space instead of just one or the other.

Bump 03-29-2022 05:02 PM

I feel like that's a bit high though. But at this point you gotta pay him to stay here.

Veach probably weighing

keep Orlando Brown and gain a 1st and 2nd round pick

or

keep Tyreek Hill, lose Brown Jr and don't get the extra picks

he chose the former

Rausch 03-29-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 16223114)
I feel like that's a bit high though. But at this point you gotta pay him to stay here.

Veach probably weighing

keep Orlando Brown and gain a 1st and 2nd round pick

or

keep Tyreek Hill, lose Brown Jr and don't get the extra picks

he chose the former

Watch Veach trade Brown on draft day...

poolboy 03-29-2022 05:10 PM

signing Geron Chrisitan to run block along with Brown and Ronald Jones might be an okey doke to the league

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 16223107)
In general, this is why I'm opposed to trading for the right to pthay someone. You are pot committed to the next contract, and it generally leads to a significant overpay, which costs the acquiring team both valuable draft capital and cap space instead of just one or the other.

Maybe... but this was necessary and worked out marvelously. We don't make the trade, we would have drafted a LT, which turned out to be thin pickings, and we wouldn't have gotten either Bolton or Creed. If we pay OBJ around $20-23 mil for 3 to 4, on a wink wink 6 year deal worth $24-$27, I'm good with it, especially since I think Pat got better pocket presence and OBJ got better through the season last yera, and this year he will be even better. If so, this will be a steal with the cap numbers most likely increasing nicely in 23/24.

R8RFAN 03-29-2022 05:41 PM

no offensive lineman is worth that much money, they should cap the positions in the NFL

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 16223152)
no offensive lineman is worth that much money, they should cap the positions in the NFL

What?... Teams are capped, free market decides everything else...

poolboy 03-29-2022 05:47 PM

Armstead at LT and Brown at RT would have solidified this line

but I guess the Chiefs "promised Brown he could play left tackle

Red Dawg 03-29-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 16223100)
I don't think Hill was even the best in the NFL last year when you factor in the drops, which just killed us in some games. But I agree he was a lot closer than Brown.

Hill is not the best WR. Adam's, Chase, Hopkins and DK are more threats in the red zone. They can go get the ball better.

Red Dawg 03-29-2022 05:52 PM

Is Brown even a top 10 LT? Do you think he will be ever?

Mr. Wizard 03-29-2022 05:53 PM

Turnstyle for speedrushers. He is what he is in spite of what we pay him. No better options I suppose. Hopefully we solve the right tackle spot somehow or we will have 2 turnstyles with a qb who does not love the pocket. It is what it is. We have got to adapt to short pass and :banghead: an effective running game :banghead: which will never happen with Reid.

R8RFAN 03-29-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16223154)
What?... Teams are capped, free market decides everything else...

I am a capitalist but these contracts are ridiculous

Personally I think salaries should be stat based on performance the prior year.

Red Dawg 03-29-2022 05:59 PM

I voted no but it will probably happen. That's what teams pay for an LT. Even an average one.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-29-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 16223178)

As a Raider fan, I'm sure you do...LMAO

Rasputin 03-29-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 16223107)
In general, this is why I'm opposed to trading for the right to pay someone. You are pot committed to the next contract, and it generally leads to a significant overpay, which costs the acquiring team both valuable draft capital and cap space instead of just one or the other.

I agree 100%, but this is the Chiefs dilemma. All the top or best LT go in the first 20 picks and when you are in championship games 4 years in a row it's hard to dip down and pick a great prospect.

People have complained about Vrett Beach draft picks but each year he is drafting at the end of each round. Last couple drafts he seems to be doing much better but he is still having to take chances on guys other GMs would't. I think as each year he is our GM the better at working the draft and getting the best value out of each player. Acquiring Brown was mostly because he knew there wouldn't be a LT prospect available late in the draft that would have been better and now we are stuck like you said paying the bill.

It's ok I like Brown as a mauler especially running the ball that we rarely do but if he improves his pass blocking then he will be worth the money. He can go from above average to pretty good if he can improve his pass blocking.

MIAdragon 03-29-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16223028)

He’s not.

Red Dawg 03-29-2022 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16223044)

No. Paying Hill that price would have choked us. Wrs are not worth that money. LT is more important and continuity is important. The longer Brown is here the better he will get. He has the talent.

Chief Pagan 03-29-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Well that would do wonders for team chemistry and WR's that thought they weren't getting targeted enough.

R8RFAN 03-29-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16223238)
Well that would do wonders for team chemistry and WR's that thought they weren't getting targeted enough.

Also give them workers comp like regular people to speed up the candy asses return.

Also if they signed a big contract and then sucked balls the next year then they have to be paid another year of their previous contract

duncan_idaho 03-29-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

This is actually a very capitalist mindset.

Your desire is for the earnings of the employees to be capped while the earnings of the owners is unchecked.

What’s more capitalist than that?

R8RFAN 03-29-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16223263)
This is actually a very capitalist mindset.

Your desire is for the earnings of the employees to be capped while the earnings of the owners is unchecked.

What’s more capitalist than that?

Without the owners you have no teams , plenty of players out there that will play for a million a year.

RealSNR 03-29-2022 09:41 PM

How long did it take Fisher to quit sucking? And he was in the same offense every year of his career (different position his rookie year, but still)

People longing for brokedick Fisher also probably weren’t patient with him for those couple of years.

Give Brown another season on the tag. It will be fine. We’ll be fine. Don’t burn your two 1sts on another fatty for the love of god

dlphg9 03-29-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 16223269)
Without the owners you have no teams , plenty of players out there that will play for a million a year.

No one wants to pay to watch trash. That's why none of the other leagues do well. The best player in the XFL or whatever it's called isn't even capable of playing in the NFL.

stevegroganfan 03-30-2022 12:02 PM

The main reason why it makes sense to overpay Brown before fairly paying Tyreek Hill is Hill probably has around 3 times the trade value of Brown. If Chiefs sign Brown to a market rate contract, they could probably trade him for a late 2nd round pick or something like that. Chiefs paid more than that but only because they got Brown still on his rookie deal.

IMO Chiefs management made the right decision but if both players had roughly the same trade value and salary over the next 3 year, you get rid of Brown before Hill without even hesitating.

htismaqe 03-30-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevegroganfan (Post 16224306)
The main reason why it makes sense to overpay Brown before fairly paying Tyreek Hill is Hill probably has around 3 times the trade value of Brown. If Chiefs sign Brown to a market rate contract, they could probably trade him for a late 2nd round pick or something like that. Chiefs paid more than that but only because they got Brown still on his rookie deal.

IMO Chiefs management made the right decision but if both players had roughly the same trade value and salary over the next 3 year, you get rid of Brown before Hill without even hesitating.

On the flip side, Brown likely has 3 times the effective career left, when you factor in age and position.

AdolfOliverBush 03-30-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16223466)
No one wants to pay to watch trash. That's why none of the other leagues do well. The best player in the XFL or whatever it's called isn't even capable of playing in the NFL.

That also explains the WNBA.

-King- 03-30-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16224316)
On the flip side, Brown likely has 3 times the effective career left, when you factor in age and position.

So if you assume that Hill only has 4 effective years left and falls off at 32.... You think OBJ has 12 years left?

htismaqe 03-30-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16224336)
So if you assume that Hill only has 4 effective years left and falls off at 32.... You think OBJ has 12 years left?

He could easily play to 35. It isn't exactly 3 times but close enough to be relevant to the 3 times he used as the benchmark for trade compensation.

duncan_idaho 03-30-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16224321)
That also explains the WNBA.

It's so bad.

I love basketball. I just can't enjoy women's basketball, at all.

kccrow 03-31-2022 10:38 PM

Just going to talk out my ass for a second here...

Seattle needs a LT and Pete Carroll wants to go to a more run-heavy offense.

So, I'm guessing Evan Neal doesn't fall to them in the draft but Cross or Penning could be sitting there at 9, both of which are more nimble tackles. Is it out of reason to flip OBJ via trade to Seattle in that scenario and the Chiefs then take a more nimble tackle for themselves? Is a top 10 pick too much value for Seattle to bite off?

What about a blended trade that sends OBJ, 29, 30, and 50 to SEA for DKM, 9, 40, and 41? Chiefs give up 1,660 in value and Seattle gives up 2,340 which is equivalent to pick DKM + pick 27 for OBJ.

Chiefs get a more athletic player at LT, a weapon they have to pay in 23, and high 2nds.

The Seahawks get their rushing game stud at LT and 3 high picks to retool at WR and take a shot on a QB if they want.

Okay, nuff about that unlikely to happen. :)

duncan_idaho 04-01-2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16226967)
Just going to talk out my ass for a second here...

Seattle needs a LT and Pete Carroll wants to go to a more run-heavy offense.

So, I'm guessing Evan Neal doesn't fall to them in the draft but Cross or Penning could be sitting there at 9, both of which are more nimble tackles. Is it out of reason to flip OBJ via trade to Seattle in that scenario and the Chiefs then take a more nimble tackle for themselves? Is a top 10 pick too much value for Seattle to bite off?

What about a blended trade that sends OBJ, 29, 30, and 50 to SEA for DKM, 9, 40, and 41? Chiefs give up 1,660 in value and Seattle gives up 2,340 which is equivalent to pick DKM + pick 27 for OBJ.

Chiefs get a more athletic player at LT, a weapon they have to pay in 23, and high 2nds.

The Seahawks get their rushing game stud at LT and 3 high picks to retool at WR and take a shot on a QB if they want.

Okay, nuff about that unlikely to happen. :)

This is a really interesting concept.

It would continue the theme of reloading rather than spending big. I’d do it without the DK Metcalf complication, personally.

I suspect Seattle may view Panning as the run-impactful LT they want, though.

Hoover 04-01-2022 08:17 AM

While interesting I'm not sure it works with what I assume is Veach's plan.

With the construction of our offensive line, the Chiefs can afford a couple big contracts (Thuney and OBJ) while Trey and Creed are on rookie deals. It makes more sense to address the tackle position draft either this year or next (legit RT). To keep talent on the Line, but don't make it a burden on the salary cap.

Also, trading OBJ as suggested would signal to me that the Chiefs punting on the season. Despite the loss of Hill, this team can still win it all because of Mahomes and Kelce.

O.city 04-01-2022 08:20 AM

Nah, they'll sign him to a LTD.

htismaqe 04-01-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16227209)
Nah, they'll sign him to a LTD.

Exactly.

OBJ is going to be here for the next 5-6 years...

KChiefs1 05-27-2022 12:31 PM

Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil

Orlando Brown Jr is seeking to become the highest paid left tackle in the NFL, per OutKick.

https://www.outkick.com/orlando-brow...s-city-chiefs/

Well, the highest paid left tackle in the NFL right now is Trent Williams of the San Francisco 49ers. He signed a six-year deal worth in excess of $138 million that averages $23 million per season, according to overthecap.com. Williams got $45.1 million in guaranteed money.

Green Bay’s David Bakhtiari in 2020 signed a four-year extension worth $92 million that also averages $23 million per season, per overthecap.com. Bakhtiari got $30 million in guaranteed money.

And it should be noted when Ronnie Stanley signed his five-year extension with the Baltimore Ravens, he got $64 million in guaranteed money on a $98.75 million deal..

And while it is unknown exactly what ceiling Brown and his new agent will be hoping to reach when negotiations with the Chiefs begin, it’s obvious $25 million per season and higher will be in the conversation. And $50 million in guarantees won’t seem outrageous.

So a four-year, $100 million or five-year, $125 million deal could be the floor of what the Brown camp might eventually agree to.

The Chiefs this offseason placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Brown, meaning he’s currently costing them $16.6 million against their cap despite the fact the tender has not been signed.

The sides might eventually be able to work a deal that lowers that cap number considerably while also giving Brown that $100 million-plus deal.

But is he worth that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannybcaitlyn 05-27-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 16311189)
Orlando Brown Jr is seeking to become the highest paid left tackle in the NFL, per OutKick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** that Fat piece of Shit! He can hit the road!!