ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

Frazod 07-23-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9829786)
Peavy I'd imagine.

Or shields if you want to give him away.

Peavy scares me. He breaks too easily.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829782)
With Garza off the table, who is the Cardinals' target? I think they have a WS shot this year, with the right acquisition. Need one more SP to eat innings and take some pressure off the pen and the rest of that rotation.

Ervin Santana?? :D

Jorge De La Rosa would be a perfect fit for the Birds, IMO. He's due for some regression in his HR totals, but he's a LHP who has a team option for '14 that the Rockies surely won't take, and if they don't, I don't think they can get compensation for him.

O.city 07-23-2013 04:03 PM

I'm not a huge peavy fan but he's better than anything out there at this point other than dipping coin and prospects for Cliff Lee.

Josh Johnson is an interesting idea though

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 04:04 PM

**** Johnson. He's hemorrhaged velocity ever since his shoulder injury. That dude is straight terrible this year.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 04:15 PM

Thoughts on targets:

Peavy - probably the least costly in terms of prospects. Would be a nice addition as long as his health holds up.

Santana - Having a great season but doesn't have Garza's post-season pedigree. Actually has outperformed Peavy so far. Cost would likely be similar to what the Cubs got from Garza, if Danny Knobler and Morosi can be believed.

Jorge de la Rosa - hadn't thought about him, but that's a nice idea. Cost wouldn't be prohibitive.

Josh Johnson - stay the eff away! Shoulder is cooked, I think. Maybe for good.

O.city 07-23-2013 04:28 PM

I had no idea about Johnson, just looking at teams that suck who would be willing to move someone decent.

Of course I'm the dum shit who wanted to make a move for Reyes ( which I'd still do if the would do it for say Wong, Wacha, and a few other pieces).

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9829845)
I had no idea about Johnson, just looking at teams that suck who would be willing to move someone decent.

Of course I'm the dum shit who wanted to make a move for Reyes ( which I'd still do if the would do it for say Wong, Wacha, and a few other pieces).

Hypothetical: the Cardinals acquire Reyes. Where do you bat him?

O.city 07-23-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9829849)

Hypothetically if we acquired him I'd move carpenter in the 2 hole and bat Reyes lead off I guess, although I like having Bertrans pop in the 2 hole, I think carp would fit there.

It's kid of the same dilemma you have with bringing up Wong and putting carp at 3rd (which IMO is a bad idea, don't think his bat profiles at 3rd)

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9829849)

Leadoff - done.

Matt Carpenter is an orgasmically perfect #2 hitter. He does everything you want in a #2, right down to taking pitches as needed to give the leadoff guy a chance to run if appropriate and having the kind of plate coverage/discipline to worry about the AB being over if he falls behind. He has the doubles power to drive in the leadoff man from first and is enough of a deep threat that you can't just pump fastballs at him ahead of the 3 and 4 hitter.

He is a perfect #2 hitter.

Beltran goes to 3 with Craig/Adams/Molina at 4/5/6.

Mi_chief_fan 07-23-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9829793)
Peavy scares me. He breaks too easily.

To be fair, his arm has never been hurt; his ERA would be much better in NL, IMO.

O.city 07-23-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829864)
Leadoff - done.

Matt Carpenter is an orgasmically perfect #2 hitter. He does everything you want in a #2, right down to taking pitches as needed to give the leadoff guy a chance to run if appropriate and having the kind of plate coverage/discipline to worry about the AB being over if he falls behind. He has the doubles power to drive in the leadoff man from first and is enough of a deep threat that you can't just pump fastballs at him ahead of the 3 and 4 hitter.

What about when Holliday comes back? Beltran to 4 and move everyone down a notch?

I'll admit, I'm a Reyes true fan I've always loved te guy as a player. But damn if he wouldn't fit great with this team.

Reyes
Carp
Holliday
Craig
Beltran
Yadi
Freese
Jay
P

For the rest of the year? Sign me up.

Then plug Tavares into Cf next year and let him hit 7th.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829864)
Leadoff - done.

I actually agree, but he's been the best leadoff hitter in baseball since he took over that role, so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him in it, either.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9829881)
What about when Holliday comes back? Beltran to 4 and move everyone down a notch?

I'll admit, I'm a Reyes true fan I've always loved te guy as a player. But damn if he wouldn't fit great with this team.

Reyes
Carp
Holliday
Craig
Beltran
Yadi
Freese
Jay
P

For the rest of the year? Sign me up.

Then plug Tavares into Cf next year and let him hit 7th.

If I'm king of the world, Holliday never sees the 3 hole again; the batspeed isn't there anymore.

I'd just swap him for Adams in the order.

Now, since I'm not king of the world and it's evidently against the unwritten rules of baseball to concede that time makes fools of us all, I'd move Beltran to 5. His power in the 5 hole ahead of a professional hitter like Yadi (so you can't dodge him) makes him an an ideal RBI bat in that spot, especially with his ability to punish just about any type of pitch.

O.city 07-23-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829912)
If I'm king of the world, Holliday never sees the 3 hole again; the batspeed isn't there anymore.

I'd just swap him for Adams in the order.

Now, since I'm not king of the world and it's evidently against the unwritten rules of baseball to concede that time makes fools of us all, I'd move Beltran to 5. His power in the 5 hole ahead of a professional hitter like Yadi (so you can't dodge him) makes him an an ideal RBI bat in that spot, especially with his ability to punish just about any type of pitch.

Cool with me. I really wish there was a way to get Adams Craig Holliday and Beltran in te lineup all together.

But it would likely be

Reyes
Carp
Holliday
Craig
Beltran ( Adams if Beltran walks)
Yadi
Freese
Tevaras
P

Next year?

I'd love to keep Beltran though a I think between Holliday, Craig, Beltran and Adams you can find enough abs for everyone

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829912)

This cannot be stressed enough. Matt Holliday has a slider speed bat now. He went from being one of the best FB hitters on the planet to a below average FB hitter this season, and it's not just mechanics, as his swing has always been more "Hulk Smash" than the poetic fluidity of Beltran's.