ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:04 PM

Again, **** OSU....

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396829)
Port gets injured against Steiber.
Cox gets his eye poked against Snyder
Moisey gets his knee wrenched against Tomasello

I'm noticing a pattern.

Next year people will wrestle them the same way.

rico 03-21-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396788)
What happened to him in this tournament? Did he just have a bad 24 hour period, or did it reveal some weaknesses in his style?

Is he big enough that he could struggle at 197 because he is weight drained?

I think Rudy's response is probably pretty spot on.

The one question I have is about his weight....since he was at 220 in high school, I just assume that Cox does cut some weight...however, I am unaware of how much he actually weighed when he was at 220. Some guys handle weight cutting better than others... And weight cutting, even at the college level can become increasingly more and more difficult with each passing year for some kids. I'm not for certain if this is a factor for Cox, but it could be. I know I didn't handle it well... I came in to college as a projected 157 lber...continued to grow and cut my butt off to make 174 lbs my first two seasons...by the time I was a Junior, I felt like I was dying trying to make 184. Weight is likely a detrimental factor for many of these guys...

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:09 PM

**** OSU!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396836)
I think Rudy's response is probably pretty spot on.

The one question I have is about his weight....since he was at 220 in high school, I just assume that Cox does cut some weight...however, I am unaware of how much he actually weighed when he was at 220. Some guys handle weight cutting better than others... And weight cutting, even at the college level can become increasingly more and more difficult with each passing year for some kids. I'm not for certain if this is a factor for Cox, but it could be. I know I didn't handle it well... I came in to college as a projected 157 lber...continued to grow and cut my butt off to make 174 lbs my first two seasons...by the time I was a Junior, I felt like I was dying trying to make 184. Weight is likely a detrimental factor for many of these guys...

Cox went 171, 215, 220, and HWT in high school. So who knows what he was walking around at two years ago.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:10 PM

Changing channel. This is dumb! **** OSU...

rico 03-21-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396843)
Cox went 171, 215, 220, and HWT in high school. So who knows what he was walking around at two years ago.

Oh shit, I didn't realize he was HWT.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396814)
I'm guessing that, based on Missouri's inability to offer full scholarships, they develop overlooked wrestlers rather than pick elite ones.

Is that true? How has Smith built up the program?

How long will it be before they have another team that can compete at nationals?

Pretty much true. They recruit the state well and Missouri HS wrestlers have shown they can hang at the collegiate level. Cox was an elite recruit. Their problem is they are competing with Iowa and Okie St., who have great history in the sport, and Penn State and Ohio State, who are in the hot bed of HS wrestling and have monster recruiters as coaches. Mizzou's best chance is to continue getting state talent and making progress in the state of Illinois-- which has fantastic HS wrestling. Mizzou can develop with the best of them.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of team parity in D1 wrestling. The top programs know how to stay on top. I can't see Mizzou having a legit shot anytime soon. Iowa, PSU, Okie St. and tOSU are set up so nicely for the future. But with Cox, Miklus, Lavallee, Lewis, and Mayes, I definitely see more top 5-10 finishes.

rico 03-21-2015 09:17 PM

And he (Cox) is a Psych major...I wish I had the opportunity to let him know how much of a mistake that is. :banghead:

rico 03-21-2015 09:19 PM

I wonder what team will end up landing Spencer Lee in a couple years...

rico 03-21-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396866)
Pretty much true. They recruit the state well and Missouri HS wrestlers have shown they can hang at the collegiate level. Cox was an elite recruit. Their problem is they are competing with Iowa and Okie St., who have great history in the sport, and Penn State and Ohio State, who are in the hot bed of HS wrestling and have monster recruiters as coaches. Mizzou's best chance is to continue getting state talent and making progress in the state of Illinois-- which has fantastic HS wrestling. Mizzou can develop with the best of them.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of team parity in D1 wrestling. The top programs know how to stay on top. I can't see Mizzou having a legit shot anytime soon. Iowa, PSU, Okie St. and tOSU are set up so nicely for the future. But with Cox, Miklus, Lavallee, Lewis, and Mayes, I definitely see more top 5-10 finishes.

What does their recruiting class look like so far this year?

Look up Steven Holloway. He will be 197 in college. If J'Den does end up going up to HWT, he'd be a nice, somewhat local (SEI) kid to fill in. :D

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396883)
What does their recruiting class look like so far this year?

Look up Steven Holloway. He will be 197 in college. If J'Den does end up going up to HWT, he'd be a nice, somewhat local (SEI) kid to fill in. :D

Pretty standard class. They have a few solid guys in state and a mid-level recruits from North Carolina and Virginia. Jaydin Clayton just beat a top 20 recruit who is going to Oklahoma State and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at 141 next year with Mayes likely taking Houdashelt's spot.

Holloway seems like he would be a good get. They do have a verbal from 2016Ethan Anderson, but Im guessing he is a heavyweight. What's his frame like?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396873)
I wonder what team will end up landing Spencer Lee in a couple years...

Dude is such a beast. There's a reason PSU hasn't been recruiting a 125 pounder. Hope it doesn't backfire on them.

rico 03-21-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396897)
Pretty standard class. They have a few solid guys in state and a mid-level recruits from North Carolina and Virginia. Jaydin Clayton just beat a top 20 recruit who is going to Oklahoma State and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at 141 next year with Mayes likely taking Houdashelt's spot.

Holloway seems like he would be a good get. They do have a verbal from 2016Ethan Anderson, but Im guessing he is a heavyweight. What's his frame like?

On the podcasts/radio stuff I did to cover our wrestling, I coined him "Hercules Holloway." Built like a Greek God. Google him.

MU needs to use the Miklus bros as sources to land some of these Southeast Polk kids...my God that team has some studs.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396867)
And he (Cox) is a Psych major...I wish I had the opportunity to let him know how much of a mistake that is. :banghead:

He actually wants to be a creative writing teacher for deaf students. He lost all of the hearing in his left ear this year.