ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ****Official 2014 STL Cardinals thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278302)

O.city 03-08-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10472935)
Ideally, Carpenter hits second and Peralta hits 7th. I don't think you want Wong leading off, because that would start the lineup out lefty-lefty. If Bourjos is closer to the guy he looked like in 2011, then he's a capable lead-off hitter, but that's probably pollyannaish. If Adams grows as a hitter instead of looking like a platoon player, then he should probably hit fifth.

Doesn't carp have pretty good splits though? This alleviating lefty lefty matchups a bit?

I think carp is an ideal 2 hitter, or maybe 5/6 hole guy.

Mi_chief_fan 03-08-2014 07:46 AM

Not sure if this has been posted, kind of a long article, but looks like another stud SP.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ale...ever-heard-of/

Too long to post, and also some nice video. I hope he starts the year in Peoria, it'll give me a chance to watch him.

Mi_chief_fan 03-08-2014 08:21 AM

JUPITER, Fla.*• Another spring, another presser in the multipurpose room.

The Cardinals have notified the media of a press conference for 10 a.m. St. Louis time in a large room at the back of the team's main building at Roger

Dean Stadium. It is the same advisory that has arrived before the formal press conferences for Adam Wainwright's extension, John Mozeliak's extension, and, two springs ago, Yadier Molina's extension.

This one is for Matt Carpenter.

The Cardinals and the third baseman moved toward finalizing a deal this past week that will sign Carpenter for an additional six years. The deal is expected to be worth between $51 million and $55 million. It will lock him in place with the organization through age 33.

The movement toward a deal was first reported late Wednesday by The Post-Dispatch.

Carpenter left in the middle of Wednesday's game to have a physical -- standard protocol before the team and player agree on a long-term contract. Both sides confirmed that negotiations were ongoing. Sources indicated that a deal could be completed soon and announced some time today.

The media advisory landed before 8 a.m. St. Louis time.

Carpenter, 28, finished fourth in the voting for the MVP last season after his breakout summer as both leadoff hitter and second baseman. He led the National League in runs, doubles, and hits, coming one short of a 200-hit season. The lefthanded-hitting infielder will shift to third base for this season, but he's shown the ability to also play the outfield and first base, if needed.

The past three springs have seen the Cardinals extend contracts with core players like Wainwright and Allen Craig (in 2013) and Molina (in 2012).

Check back here for coverage throughout the day.

BigRedChief 03-08-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 10473226)
Martinez pitched well, too. I'm hoping he wins the 5th starter role.

It's obvious he is couple of levels above Kelly. His stuff overall may be the best on the whole staff.That being said...........

If I was Mo, I'd put him in the 8th inning role till the All-Star break. Motte should be up to speed by then to take over. Or someone else steps up. Send him down to AAA and get stretched out. Get 4-5 starts in the late season push. Got a fresh arm for the playoffs.

We don't know if Wacha will tire at the end like Miller did last year. Lynn may melt down. A fresh Martinez as a starter will kick ass in the playoffs.
Quote:

I actually think Yadi is the best choice they have to hit second, but his propensity to hit into a double play would be the biggest draw back.

Not going to work. No speed. Propensity to hit into double plays.

BigRedChief 03-08-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 10473244)
The Cardinals and the third baseman moved toward finalizing a deal this past week that will sign Carpenter for an additional six years. The deal is expected to be worth between $51 million and $55 million. It will lock him in place with the organization through age 33.

Glad to see. Definitely a core player you want on the team. Just hope he keeps the drive to excel now that he has his money. All reports I've read thats just not who he is, sounds good.

He is not more valuable than McCuthen but he's making more money. The money in baseball is just whack. Mo has done a good job keeping Waino, Molina, Craig and Carpenter as their core. Also we can thank Pujols's greed.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-08-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10473228)
Doesn't carp have pretty good splits though? This alleviating lefty lefty matchups a bit?

I think carp is an ideal 2 hitter, or maybe 5/6 hole guy.

He is a perfect #2 hitter, which is why finding a way to get him in there without having a jabroni hit leadoff is so important.

His OPS is almost 80 points higher against RHP, and his wRC is 25% higher. He's still a good hitter against LHP, and I'd never move him down past #1 or #2 in the lineup (he works pitchers too well, gets on base tremendously well), but having a LHB who gets eaten up in front of him and factoring in his decline against LHP, it just doesn't make much sense for the lineup.

Quote:

I actually think Yadi is the best choice they have to hit second, but his propensity to hit into a double play would be the biggest draw back.

BTW-Wong swung the bat very well yesterday, and his glove already looks fantastic. Martinez pitched well, too. I'm hoping he wins the 5th starter role.

And by all means Mo, get Marp locked up!

I would be extremely hesitant to put Yadi in the two hole. He's the least likely to walk, he hits into a lot of DP's, and he clogs the bases. He's an ideal #6 hitter: he's got enough power to occasionally run into one, and his bat control is good enough that he can hit the ball where the defenders aren't to drive in RISP, of which there would likely be several.

Mi_chief_fan 03-08-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10473395)
It's obvious he is couple of levels above Kelly. His stuff overall may be the best on the whole staff.That being said...........

If I was Mo, I'd put him in the 8th inning role till the All-Star break. Motte should be up to speed by then to take over. Or someone else steps up. Send him down to AAA and get stretched out. Get 4-5 starts in the late season push. Got a fresh arm for the playoffs.

We don't know if Wacha will tire at the end like Miller did last year. Lynn may melt down. A fresh Martinez as a starter will kick ass in the playoffs.Not going to work. No speed. Propensity to hit into double plays.

He sure melted down yesterday. As good as Wainwright looked, Lynn was 180° the other way.

Jewish Rabbi 03-08-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 10473424)
He sure melted down yesterday. As good as Wainwright looked, Lynn was 180° the other way.

That's Lance Lynn tho. Horrible in ST, great for three months, then mostly bad the rest of the year.

O.city 03-08-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10473422)
He is a perfect #2 hitter, which is why finding a way to get him in there without having a jabroni hit leadoff is so important.

His OPS is almost 80 points higher against RHP, and his wRC is 25% higher. He's still a good hitter against LHP, and I'd never move him down past #1 or #2 in the lineup (he works pitchers too well, gets on base tremendously well), but having a LHB who gets eaten up in front of him and factoring in his decline against LHP, it just doesn't make much sense for the lineup.

I would be extremely hesitant to put Yadi in the two hole. He's the least likely to walk, he hits into a lot of DP's, and he clogs the bases. He's an ideal #6 hitter: he's got enough power to occasionally run into one, and his bat control is good enough that he can hit the ball where the defenders aren't to drive in RISP, of which there would likely be several.

The thugs yadi does well, carpenter does as well, or better though ie my 5/6 hole.

He's just better suited to hit in the 2 hole though. If bourjos had a higher walk rate or obp, I'd pencil him in he lead off spot.

BigRedChief 03-08-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 10473229)
Not sure if this has been posted, kind of a long article, but looks like another stud SP.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ale...ever-heard-of/

Too long to post, and also some nice video. I hope he starts the year in Peoria, it'll give me a chance to watch him.

I watched him pitch his inning this am. He gave up 2 home runs but those would have been easy fly outs if the wind wasn't blowing out at 40MPH.

92-94 fastball with good movement. A Waino type big curve breaking ball at 72-72MPH. Raised in New Jersey but moved to Puerto Rico in his last year of High School so he wasn't eligible for the MLB draft and would get more signing bonus money.

Many articles on the guy at cardinalsfarm.com
http://cardinalsfarm.com/tag/alex-reyes/

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-08-2014 11:33 AM

That guy definitely looks like he has the potential to be a #2/#3 starter.

Mi_chief_fan 03-08-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10473529)
That guy definitely looks like he has the potential to be a #2/#3 starter.

Keep in mind: he's 19. He hit 95+ before he was 18. His curve, at times, looked big-league ready. I think #2/#3 is his floor.

rolltide2014 03-09-2014 12:01 PM

Just signed Cuban SS Aledmys Diaz to a 4 year deal

Mi_chief_fan 03-09-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolltide2014 (Post 10475264)
Just signed Cuban SS Aledmys Diaz to a 4 year deal

For some reason, I'm not that excited.

BigRedChief 03-09-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 10475294)
For some reason, I'm not that excited.

He has to be better than Kozma.:rolleyes:

Peralta has two years, max at SS. The more options we have, the better. I'm sure we got what passes for a good deal in baseball these days. No way he got Puig money when the Yankees etc passed on him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...ue-deal-030914

JUPITER, Fla. -- The St. Louis Cardinals signed Cuban free agent shortstop Aledmys (Ah-led-mees) Diaz to a major league contract and he'll report to spring training on Monday.

The Cardinals were among a number of teams who held private workouts for the right-handed hitting Diaz.

The 23-year-old Diaz batted .315 with 12 home runs and 11 steals in 270 at-bats in 2012 for Los Naranjas de Villa Clara, Cuba's highest professional league, which has produced Oakland's Yoenis Cespedes, the Dodgers' Yasiel Puig and Cincinnati's Aroldis Chapman.

The Cardinals anticipate the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Diaz will start the year at the high minor league level.