ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

O.city 09-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8935335)
That's my only question about him is arm strength but at the same time arm strength can be overrated.

This is true. But it can also be a huge attribute

keg in kc 09-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8935244)
I thought Smith showed some real pocket awareness and good field vision today.

He did lock onto his primary target a couple of times, but for the most part he scanned the field and found the open receiver, even while under duress.

He showed the athletic ability to escape pressure, but also showed the pocket presence to know when to escape, and also to know when to stand in or step up.

Looks like the total package who has progessed nicely from year to year.

Took a bit of a beating and kept going, too.

He reminds me a little of Robert Griffin, although I don't think he has quite that level of talent. But not that far off, either, and he's someone who I think, like Griffin, "got it" in college as far as being a QB and running an offense goes. So he could translate quickly to the pro game.

O.city 09-22-2012 02:43 PM

I think smith has better pocket mechanics at this point than rgIII did at this time last year

BigChiefFan 09-22-2012 02:45 PM

If we don't draft a first round QB this upcoming draft, we'll continue to wallow in mediocrity. Looks like some pretty good prospects will be available in 2013.

Jerm 09-22-2012 03:28 PM

This is the guy I want 100%...put me on the bandwagon, roll call, whatever the hell it is.

He'll be the best QB from the class, mark it down.

O.city 09-22-2012 03:48 PM

That "footwork" problem some were seeing, IMO seems to be a rhythm thing. Qbs are taught to "hop" to keep rhythm and go from window to window

bevischief 09-22-2012 03:57 PM

I liked what he brought to the game, not Cassel by a long shot.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935472)
That "footwork" problem some were seeing, IMO seems to be a rhythm thing. Qbs are taught to "hop" to keep rhythm and go from window to window

Lol it's called a hitch. And each and how many times you hitch is based whether if it's a 3, 5 or 7 step drop back and what route the WR is running. It's crucial in getting the ball out on time especially in a timing pattern. It can be the difference in what would be a simple completion and an INT. QBs don't hop. They aren't rabbits, silly O.city. ;)

O.city 09-22-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8935493)
Lol it's called a hitch. And each and how many times you hitch is based whether if it's a 3, 5 or 7 step drop back and what route the WR is running. It's crucial in getting the ball out on time especially in a timing pattern. It can be the difference in what would be a simple completion and an INT. QBs don't hop. They aren't rabbits, silly O.city. ;)

I'm talking about when qbs complete their drop and make progressions. Some call it happy feet but its a timing thing. After you hit your back foot, you bounce up into the pocket keeping the string tight between your front and back foot

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935502)
After you hit your back foot, you bounce up into the pocket keeping the string tight between your front and back foot

That would be a hitch.

suds79 09-22-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8935335)
That's my only question about him is arm strength but at the same time arm strength can be overrated.

Agreed. From what I saw his arm is strong enough to do the job. However its not in the same league as Wilson or Bray.

Still, arm strength isn't everything.

Barret 09-22-2012 04:13 PM

I am on board with Geno as well. I saw portions of that game at the sports bar and he looked really good. The only issue that I need to ask is, where do people feel he will be taken at in the first round? If you were ranking QB's in 2013 is he like RGIII compared to Barkley and Luck?

I only compare Barkley and Luck as well as Smith and RGIII as far as draft position and where Luck and RGIII were taken. Not Talent level comparisons.

I ask these questions to get a better feel for what the Chiefs would have to accomplish to actually get Smith or Barkley or any top QB prospect in 2013. Is it a "Suck for Smith" type plan or can you actually be in the 10 - 15 range to pick him up? See my point?

O.city 09-22-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8935508)
That would be a hitch.

Call it what you will but it allows the qb to stay in rhythm in the pocket. It is taught. It's not sloppy feet or happy feet

chiefzilla1501 09-22-2012 04:15 PM

I'm definitely on board for Geno Smith.

I don't agree that he's the only option, though. If he's not within reach, there are going to be a few QBs in this class that I think are worth taking. I'd be happy with Barkley, Smith, or Tyler Wilson. And I do think Murray or Bray could very easily declare and I'd take either one of those guys.

O.city 09-22-2012 04:15 PM

It's time to suck shit and make sure we are forced to get one of these guys